Start by marking “Quantico” as Want to Read:
Quantico

Quantico

(Quantum Logic #1)

It’s the second decade of the twenty-first century, and terrorism has escalated almost beyond control. New weapons are being spawned in remote basement labs, and no one feels safe. In North America, the FBI uses cutting-edge technology to thwart domestic terrorists. The War on Terror has reached a deadly stalemate. The FBI has been dispatched to deal with a new menace. ...more
Published 2006 by Madison Park Press

To ask other readers questions about Quantico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantico

Start your review of Quantico
Kim
Jul 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Initial thoughts: Really poorly written thus far. Hanging on just to see if things improve in the next 10-20 pages. I really should try to remember the Greg Bear Rule - half his stuff is amazing writing, half is just junk.

18 July 2008: I actually gave the book 50 more pages and it just kept getting more predictable and less interesting. This book reminded me a lot of Blood Music (an earlier Greg Bear book), which wasn't bad as a short story but that I really disliked as a full novel. Quantico
Andrew
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
well It has been some times since I have read any new Greg Bear (and I will admit I have no idea why this book was already listed as read) but it brought back quite a few memories. The first is that I forgot how much I enjoyed his work - even though it does not necessarily sit well with others. I still think Blood Music is a great book although I know options are divided.

Then there is the other side of to his work. Greg Bear to me is a hard science fiction writer and as such does like to cite a
Michael
My first experience with Bear's non-genre fiction, Vitals, was pretty negative. Quantico was a lot better. According to Bear, Quantico (a near-future thriller) is the first part of a lead-in to his SF sequence that began with Queen of Angels - a great novel. The connections aren't obvious here, but apparently the subsequent book, Mariposa, makes the connections much more obvious.

I don't read thrillers often because I don't find them to be particularly good stories. The characters here aren't
Alex
Jul 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sad to say, I enjoyed this book the least of any of Bear's, and I've read nearly everything he's written.

I've had trouble with some of his previous works, not being able to find a character I liked, but in those the stories carried me past it. In this one I never could. The overall premise and twist is interesting, but not worth the time investment to get to.

Greg Bear is one of my favourite authors, so it pains me to give a bad review. This one's a miss.
Topher
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I normally like Greg Bear. This one was just a little too depressing.
Robert Day
This is strictly a holiday read – it was chosen, before flying off on holiday, for its undemanding nature and disposability. It would have been terrible to carry a book to the far end of the world, read it, find it was the best novel ever, and then have to carry it back from the far end of the world; so it was quite a relief to find that I didn’t really enjoy reading this book at all.

On the face of it, it should have been ok. I’ve read some of Greg Bear’s books and enjoyed the sci-fi elements of
Malin
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is what I'd call SF targeted towards people not comfortable with SF; near-future fiction placed in some undefinite future where the US has a female president and law enforcement and the military have a number of neat hi-tech gadgets to help in their work (individual-locked guns, networked vital signs monitoring vests, goggles with text displays, RFIDs and cop overrides on all civilian vehicles... ). Unfortunately the introduction of all this stuff is quite infodumpy, not especially ...more
Jackie
Newly minted FBI agents from training facility Quantico, William Griffin, Fouad Al-Husain, and Jane Rowland are almost instantly involved in the hunt for a terrorist using biological warfare. An anthrax-like substance has been found that doesn’t necessarily kill, but robs people of their memories. They seem to be in the throws of dementia.

As the hunt takes them all over the world...Turkey, Iran, Israel, they are unaware, at first, that it is one of their own, an American terrorist who has some
Lance
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, i finished...I am usually pretty objective to reading, and even with the terrible reviews from fellow good-readers, i decided to go ahead. I have read a huge library of spy, counter-terrorism, and didn't use any of those to pre-judge. Where i did like the details, and creativity of the author in creating a NEW type of threat, the drama, tension, and panic dampened to a soggy paper towel of a story. Introduction of characters late in the book, and lack of "fear" of the antagonist had me ...more
Gena Kukartsev
Confusing book - kinda hard to follow the story without paying a lot of attention but at the same time not interesting enough to pay a lot of attention. As one commenter put it, Greg Bear has interesting ideas and writes boring books about them. Spot on.

The ideas about biological weapons are cool and sound appropriately plausible and scary. I kinda liked one character - Rebecca Rose but perhaps because of a superficial reason - all her tough/sexy image.

The book is mostly a thriller in form,
Ben
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was FANTASTIC. What if Homeland Security was 1/2 of our military, what if we never left Iraq, written by a master of science fiction. Solid.
Mark
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I read this book on vacation. It's a mindless read, in that you don't have to think a whole bunch. I was not overly impressed with the writing or the plot.
NeilWill
Quantico by Greg Bear is a near future bio-terror technothriller from an author perhaps better known for his hard science fiction. It is unrelated to the TV show of the same name, other than the fact the FBI academy is within the Marine Training base of Quantico.

It starts with some unlikely clues, and some FBI trainees, and some long hidden terrorists. It becomes about anthrax, and then something stranger, and an attack on the world’s major religions.

Bear’s plotting is sparse for a techno
Azriel
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing the author's penchant for hard Sci-fi, (despite this being my first novel by him), I was pleasently surprised by the techno-thriller aspect of the book, feeling both realistic (taking place in what is now 2-4 years ago) and frighteningly fantastic (as some of the vividly described technology has yet to enter use. One strong point that was unexpected was the dialogue, which was especially vibrant in the excellent voicing of the audiobook version I heard. The setpeices are exciting, and ...more
Scott Holstad
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I know Greg Bear has some big fans and I've tried to read several of his books over the years, but try as much as I do, I don't think he's very good or impressive, and I've never been anything but bored when reading his work, such as this book. And I kind of feel bad about that because for all I know he may be a really nice guy and a great writer, but sometimes people don't click for you -- I know my work hasn't clicked for some people, so I get it -- but while I'm not personally biased against ...more
Chelsea Jones
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book sits at 326 pages, it feels a lot shorter than that thanks to the edge-of-your-seat suspense that Bear uses to keep you captivated. With little background building, this book is a thriller right from the beginning. There are turns to keep you guessing, and just when you think you've caught on, Bear throws yet another wrench into the plans. Well-thought out characters add to the story to make this one of my favorite reads of 2019.
Paul Gardner
3.5

Disappointing. There was a lot of different threads running here, any one of which could have been developed much more. I was particularly disappointed in how the main antagonists were disposed of - very much whimper-like and that, surprisingly, reduced my enjoyment in the overall story.

After a while, I had trouble following the story. I kept wondering when this or that subplot would be tied off, and they never were.
Alayne
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel, set in the near future, was exciting and mysterious, but I found it too long. It had too many minor characters who might be mentioned in the early chapters then not mentioned again till the end, and I was thinking, Who was that again? There were far too many acronyms which might be spelled out once but of course it didn't stick because it was unfamiliar. It didn't have a really tidy ending either, which made it a bit annoying. So 3 and a half to 4 stars only.
Roy Goodwin
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first non-science fiction book I read by Bear. While it doesn't stand up to Eon or that series, but in my eyes many books don't. He did not disappoint me. Great page turner. If you are a Science Fiction reader and a Greg Bear fan I recommend you taking a chance.
T.W. Fendley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action-packed -- very "Clancy" like but with a twist at the end I didn't see coming
Martial Trevett
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex FBI finds kid that can militarize genetic altering powder
Sandra Grauschopf
Started out strong, then got muddled and confusing. Going into my "donate" pile.
Kelly
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very scary story. Too close to reality to be a comfortable read.
Charl
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y2018
A scarily plausible terrorist scenario that will be possible in the near future if it's not already.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Ok, I've previously drawn parallels between Greg Bear's "Blood Music" & Michael Crichton's "Prey" that were unflattering to Crichton (see http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34...) & then I HATED Crichton's "State of Fear" (see http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...). SO, I credited Bear w/ being original & discredited Crichton w/ being a paltry 2nd (or 3rd or whatever). THEN Bear writes this - a novel not that dissimilar from Crichton's "State of Fear" but coming out a yr or 2 ...more
Lucas
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Not quite as far into the future as Rainbow's End (maybe 2015-2020 instead of 2025) and a lot more conservative in predicting technological advance- but more believable also. Vinge's world seemed to have 100% replacement of all artifacts and infrastructure, but this could be attributed to selectiveness- everything that hasn't changed isn't worth mentioning. The two novels both have story lines involving ever increasing dangers due to more powerful tools in the hands of smaller and smaller groups ...more
Paul
"Quantico" is set in the near future - a la recent works by William Gibson - and features a world well-drawn in its evolution from the present day. There is lots of nifty tech, but it doesn't overwhelm the reader or the plot, and it's all highly credible stuff.

The story revolves around a couple of new FBI agents freshly graduated from the Academy, as well as a more experienced, somewhat renegade operative who has been working a thankless case she's convinced is significant, but to which she
Bill
Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, nook
The first third of the book really had me wondering if the pages of my Greg Bear science fiction novel had been secretly replaced with the pages from some randomly average thriller about post-9/11 terrorism. Then the science started appearing and things got more interesting.

The structure of the book made it a bit difficult to always keep in mind what was happening to whom and what the reader was already supposed to know about each character. I think there were just too many of them. Some would
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
After thoroughly enjoying Greg Bear's Darwin series, I started to buy more of his books. The first one I read is Quantico. It is a novel of the near future, where global terrorism has reached new heights, with the destruction of the Golden Mosque in Mecca and the retaliation to the U.S.

The terrorist threat of the day is bioterrorism and is threatening to be used in a large-scale attack. William Griffin is a new FBI trainee trying to cope with the difficulties of the job, whereas his father is
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fantastic Four: The Master of Doom
  • X-Men Epic Collection Vol. 3: The Sentinels Live
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • Target Omega (Mike Garin Thriller #1)
  • The Coffee Trader
  • Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • JLA:  The Greatest Stories Ever Told
  • Mars Crossing
  • A Rage in Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #1)
  • The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2)
  • Jaran (Jaran, #1)
  • Vertigo
  • Sweat the Technique: Revelations on Creativity from the Lyrical Genius
  • The Big Gold Dream (Harlem Cycle, #4)
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: 1,050 Years of the Future
  • Killed in Action (Equalizer #2)
  • Parasite
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

Quantum Logic (2 books)
  • Mariposa
“To see the awful things is to see life as it really is. It makes you sharper, stronger, superior. You can stand it when others cannot.” 5 likes