Start by marking “All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek” as Want to Read:
All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek

All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek

How to win at poker. The power of a business's mission statement. If you can dial a telephone, you can do anything. These are the lessons to be learned from "Star Trek." First a hit television show, and then a pop culture phenomenon, "Star Trek" is now the basis for inspiration and guidance in our daily lives. ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED FROM WATCHING STAR TREK is ...more
Published July 6th 2004 by Gramercy (first published May 17th 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek

Jim
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author is a manager at an ad agency & I think this is one of those self-help books for managers. I normally detest such, but this one was quite good simply because he knows Star Trek as well as I do & makes real life comparisons to it. McCoy wasn't a brick-layer, but he still fixed the Horta because that's what a doctor does, even if the patient is a silicone-based life form. Kirk swore to uphold the Prime Directive & he did, when it didn't clash too badly with his own moral code ...more
James Adams
Do not go into this expecting a parody of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, because this ain't it. Instead, it's an occasionally funny, overly earnest celebration of, in this order, the author himself and Star Trek. It was passably entertaining, and had some decent advice, but Marinaccio was stretching on a fair few of these points. I wouldn't recommend it unless you were bored.
Andrew
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
While clearly inspired by Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Needed to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten", this Star Trek version falls a little short of the entertainment level of the original. That isn't to say that there aren't some interesting essays in this collection. I clearly haven't spent enough time thinking about Star Trek, since most of these conclusions never occurred to me before. However, there are a number of valuable lessons to be learned here: Things will get better. Always welcome c ...more
Annie
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This was a fun read - and could actually be considered a "business" book, since the author works in advertising and often drew comparisons between the way Kirk ran the ship and the way a successful business should be run. I have loved Star Trek since I first saw it in grade school, so I could appreciate the profound impact it had on the author's life and outlook.

A few highlights:

"Whatever you are doing, answer a distress call. The most important time to help someone is when they need it."

"Here i
Nick Hsieh
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book, but that's largely because I wasn't approaching it as anything other than mindless entertainment. I didn't even expect it to primarily have to do with Star Trek (I took the title to mean this was the author's reflections on general life lessons he learned from Star Trek, which appeared to me what it turned out to be in fact). The title also suggested to me that this book would not necessarily have a tight focus or principle lesson. So it does tend to meander ...more
Lisa :-)
May 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I paid the grand total of ninety nine pence for this book and I don't think I would have paid much more. It's a fun book to read on a train journey home, but don't expect anything too great. Of course, it isn't intended to be anything great, and there are plenty of lines in it that made me smile. Give a read and remember why the crew of the NCC-1701 were just so bloody cool.
Wendy
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Funny and profound at the same time. He's right- there is great wisdom in the leadership philosophy of J.T. Kirk. And...the first line of the opening credits is indeed the best mission statement ever written.
Raquel Evans
I think the best point in this book was one not directly made: every good story will teach you something important about life.

I enjoyed this audio book and laughed at (some of) the right places I was supposed to, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if every life lesson hadn't been turned into a 90s motivational phrase. Much like watching the actual Star Trek I appreciated a lot of the lessons and found a few to run counter to the Biblical ethics I try to live by. Overall, a fun experienc
Betsey Stahler
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, star-trek
I thought this was great fun and many of his points were oh so true. He articulated the things that made me love Star Trek when it first came out and reminded me why I still enjoy it today. A fun, quick read!
Judy Benvin
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok. I really wanted to like this book. I am a big Star Trek fan. Not sure why, but this book was just middle-of-the-road for me.
Nigel Shaw
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun if you are into Star Trek.
Rob
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and revealing way of doing business, I like this book but that could be because I am a hopeless Trek Fan. This was a Good Read.
Elena Sotelo-McCrary
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you want to excape or compare your life to Star Trek read this witty book. That's it!
Tami
DNF early on. Even for hardcore trekkies not palatable.

I quit after reading some pseudo-funny remarks about women Riker has sex with and how he should be careful not to contract intergalactic STDs. Because women who have sex for fun are unclean, you know.

I do believe the author when he claims to subscribe to the Star Trek values of equality and so on.
But practically?
He does sound like a 1990ies advertising/marketing douchebag.
It shows how much more sensitive one becomes.
It's as if suddenly you
Kayleigh Mihalko
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
If the was written today, it could have been a blog. The short passages in the same format made it easy and quick to read. I really enjoyed this book!
Jirka Janák
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
While clearly inspired by Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Needed to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten", this Star Trek version falls a little short of the entertainment level of the original. Some parts are funny, some are trying to be inspiring, but most of them seemed boring to me - like if author just tried to fill a page quota.

Generally ok, easy to read during one evening and to make you think what you've actually taken from Star Trek.

===

Ikdyž se autor zjevně inspiroval u Robert Fulghuma a jeh
Angel
May 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: media, philosophy
This book was a waste of time and a disappointment. Giving it one star is being generous. And the sad thing is that it started well enough. The author's main problem is a serious lack of focus and a strong tendency to ramble and meander about all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with Star Trek, which is what the book title would imply. To top it off, his writing style is a little on the boring side, which means you will probably find yourself scanning the book. By now, there are other books ...more
Toby Brennen
Apr 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't get your expectations to high! Overindulgent and struggling attempts at humor left me wondering why I was violating one of my personal reading rules, and continued to read "All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek" after I evaluated it as horrible. I guess I was looking for the way out of an impossible situation. I did manage to find one redeeming characteristic. The book was short and I only wasted a few total hours of my life to read. Star trek fans will be hard presse ...more
Timothy
Jan 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
This book failed as both a parody of "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten", an homage to Star Trek, and a book of uplifting and insightful essays. Several times, the author had to stretch to make any connection to what he was saying and something from Star Trek. At other times, he merely made a passing reference to Star Trek and then went off in a completely unrelated direction. The only appeal this book would have for anybody is for hard-core Trekkies who want to spend a day pla ...more
Matimate
Mar 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, humour
It should be entertaining and funny, but it is not. Man who works in advertising company tried to put some words of wisdom gained from TV series Star Trek in to the daily life. Well...the examples used did not work at all and were sometimes very ill picked. However I finished this book so it was not that bad. Clearly inspiration was taken from Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Needed to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten" and it failed on many levels.
Breanna
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun but a little weirdly written, this guy kind of rambles about really irrelevant stuff. One of the entries is like three pages talking about a ski trip he took. This isn't really one of those books that can apply to everybody, it's pretty much what the title suggests: this is all about this one guy's experiences that he sort of relates to Star Trek. Or something. It's alright, just not my idea of a "life lessons learned from Star Trek" kind of book I guess.
Joseph
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book can be taken half seriously (when addressing leadership, morality, and role specialization) and half-jokingly (when detailing the virtues of pot bellies a la the latter day Captain Kirk).

It is a quick read, but also a bit uneven. Some bits are funny and poignant, while others are contrived and reaching; possibly attempting to fill a page quota.

All in all, it is entertaining and brings a fan back to what they may have loved about Star Trek.
Mary Pellecchia
Sep 24, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This was a funny and entertaining guide book. The author explains how lessons on leadership, tolerance, friendship, loyalty, trust, individuality, and integrity may be learned from the characters and situations in Star Trek. He addresses mainly the original incarnation, but adds the next generation. (He hates Counselor Troi's dresses too!) The book is too old to address the last three versions, but it was fun and encouraging.
Tay
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, star-trek
I don't feel very empowered after reading this, so the self-help angle failed. Marinaccio failed to really connect any Trek idea to his vignettes. Each blurb felt like an essay written an hour before the deadline. While not the worst book I have ever read, it is definitely mediocre. Of course, the fact that the author seems not to like my favorite character could color my opinion of the book overall.
Lukas Lovas
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
He starts out strong with some very good points, and than moves on to some more very good points. I have never been a fan of star trek - original series, but I completely agree with what the author puts into words in this smile worthy, nod inducing, thought provoking book.
Short, well written, funny and spot on :)
Lynda
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
There is no getting around the fact that I was a Trekkie. Before vcr's, my friends and I used to tape the show on audio tapes and get together and listen to the episodes again and again. For Trekkies, this is a must read and very funny.
John
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I finished half the book it felt like the author was just writing to complete a word count. Many of the sections felt like a repeat of previous ones. It's well written and some of his personal stories are interesting but I had trouble staying engaged.
James Wilson
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
For Trekkies this is the ultimate book. It encapsulates the philosophies of the original Star Trek show into daily vignettes of life lessons. So even if you're not a Star Trek fan, this book is a page turner.
mark
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Parts of it are funny, parts of it are insightful, parts of it are good, parts of it are trite, one part of it was sorta offensive (Richard Gere, really?) and it was all so very choppy that it could have only been written by someone in advertising.
Eric
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, was not all that enlightening. I read the book many years ago when I received as a gift from my grandmother who knew I was a Star Trek fan. I recently purchased this book for a client, who also shares a love of Star Trek.
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers Volume 1
  • Make It So: Leadership Lessons from Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • U.S.S. Enterprise Ncc-1701-D Blueprints: Star Trek : The Next Generation (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Legends of the Ferengi (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Inside Star Trek: The Real Story
  • The World of Star Trek
  • The Continuing Mission
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • The Truth Is Out There (The Official Guide to The X-Files #1)
  • Kahless
  • Worf's First Adventure  (Star Trek: The Next Generation - Starfleet Academy #1)
  • I, Q