Start by marking “Howtoons: The Possibilities Are Endless!” as Want to Read:
Howtoons: The Possibilities Are Endless!

Howtoons: The Possibilities Are Endless!

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Part comic strip and part science experiment, Howtoons shows children how to find imaginative new uses for common household items like soda bottles, duct tape, mop buckets, and more-to teach kids the "Tools of Mass Construction"

Howtoons are cartoons that teach 8- to 15-year-old readers "how to" build, create, and explore things. Combining a fun, full-color cartoon format a
Published October 23rd 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Howtoons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Howtoons

Betsy
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Siblings Tuck and Celine may not always agree, but there's certainly one thing they have in common; the desire to invent miraculous creations out of simple objects. So, through their eyes, fifteen different chapters show child readers how to prepare a workshop for their creations, use a variety of different tools, and make all kinds of cool things. One minute Tuck and Celine are making ice cream without an ice cream maker, and the next they're whipping up handmade underwater scopes. As the book ...more
Sadie Forsythe
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My husband bought this for our children. They have done a number of the projects by now and each have been successful. They particularly liked the marshmallow guns, which they declared dart guns for administering medications to wild animals instead of deadly projectiles. (I was so proud.) At 5 & 3 they aren't able to do any of the projects without adult assistance. Come on they can't even read the directions yet. But they follow the pictures and have been fully invested and interested in the ...more
Amy
I know, from two years of trying to do it with my students for their science fair projects, that making the little battery motor in this book is DAMN HARD. We got it to work this year, but I think potential supervisors of the projects in this book ought to know: we're not talking about EASY engineering projects. That marshmallow gun looks even harder than the motor. Probably better for parent:kid ratios, than teacher:students, but even if we don't make any of the cool stuff at school, it's still ...more
Jodi
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids 7 and up who need an alternative to the TV
Shelves: childrens
Really a great comic inspired book for kids. A bother and sister are bored over summer break and come up with all kinds of clever and fun things to try and do. This book is a lot of fun for the over 7 set, the writing is great and the pictures and storyline are a lot of fun.

The only reason this didn't get 5 stars from me is that many of the experiments in the book aren't something that most kids can do on their own, so parents would need to get involved.
Owen
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tobeybooks
My brother read it.
My brother:IT WAS AWSOME!!!!!!!
Rebecca
How cool is this book?! It presents 15 how-to instructions (fart machine, marshmallow shooter, homemade ice cream) for kids, using materials from around the house. It elevates these above your normal science-fair-type experiments by including tidbits of history and truly useful background knowledge (such as how to set up a workshop, tie knots, and count in binary). It elevates its interest level by presenting these instructions in the comic-book story of siblings Celine and Tucker.

Favorite quot
Emyrose8
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting... people who don't like comic books should skip this one. But if you're a lover of graphic novels/comics, you won't be disappointed. The book centers around two kids who are always fighting until their mom says, "can't you make something other than trouble?" So their quest to make things begins. The book teaches the reader how to do/make certain things by way of comic panels: ice cream, terrarium, marshmallow shooter, masks, an underwater scope, rope swing, an instrument, a rocket l ...more
Mary
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Buy it for the marshmallow gun section. Keep it for the pop bottle rockets.

A great book with projects that WORK; it will entice you to get off the couch and into your nearest hardware store to build enviable "toys" for kids of all ages. And when I say "all ages", that includes 5 year olds to 65 year olds!
Britny Ohliger
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Brother and sister, Tucker and Celine, are tired of the boring TV and video games. In order to the time during their summer, they do science projects using household items for their experiments. This story is fun for readers to follow along with or duplicate the siblings' adventures. Never, ever say you have run out of things to do during another summer break after you read this graphic novel.
Lisa B
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any age person who likes to do "stuff" with their hands.
Recommended to Lisa by: Jackie
Shelves: childrens, nonfic
the best part of this book is learning how to make a monkey fist knot. how cool is that? and the rest is awesome, too. its as perfect for adults as it is foor kids, and full of things to do that are light years away from toilet-paper-roll crafts.
Kasen
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Robsy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for kids that are makers. Bought the book after seeing him speak. A MacArthur Genius Grant winner, MIT PhD, inventor, & dad, he has a lot of great insights on how to inspire passion & wonder in kids.
Blanca
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: student who want to have fun with scient and teacher who teach science
This is is a fun comic inspired book for student looking for fun experiments and or creations with a low budget and easy to find material. The experiment are fun and creative and will make you enjoy science even more!
Christian McKay
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. Beautifully drawn, hilarious, easily applicable. Really wish I'd had this when I was younger.
Hannah
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is both fun and educational. I really enjoyed it especially the marshmallow shooter.
Hannah
Grace
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We built the swing and are trying to make others. Wonderful! the swing is still standing and is just marvelous. I wish there were more Highly recomended
Meredith
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle
This is awesome! Maker-y and science made superfun without being condescending.

Bonus: I never thought about counting in binary on my fingers but it makes total sense.
Sharie
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actually read "Trouble Makers: A Howtooons Adventure" but very similar to this book. (Can't find mine on GoodReads)
Snow
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
read for NoveList booklists
Heather Ledet
Written in comic book format, this book is a wonderful science book with experiments that kids can do themselves! Funny and informative.
Jared
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Get this book and cause trouble!
If you have a niece, nephew, cousin, or just want to be a kid, get this book. Man this has some really fun projects in it.
Nanhoekstra
Oct 12, 2014
Cal Desmond-Pearson
Mar 08, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Saul Griffith (born 1974) is an Australian American inventor. He is the founder or co-founder of seven companies, including Otherlab (where he is currently CEO), Makani Power, and Instructables.
More about Saul Griffith