Start by marking “Falling Awake” as Want to Read:
Falling Awake

Falling Awake

A red-hot, suspenseful novel about a free-spirited dream researcher-and the gorgeous man who brings her dreams to life.

'Isabel Wright spends her days at the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research analyzing the dreams of others. Dr. Martin Belvedere, a pioneer in the field, recognized her unique talent for what he calls Level Five lucid dreaming - and rescued her from a
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published October 25th 2005 by Jove (first published September 30th 2004)

Start your review of Falling Awake
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 2005
Length: 529 pages (Large Print)
Setting: Contemporary, California.
Sex: Explicit. Reasonably frequent.
Paranormalish - Lucid dreaming and dream reading.
Hero: Entrepeneur and gov. agent investigator who uses lucid dreaming.
Heroine: Interprets Lucid Dreams.

An interesting idea that didn't quite make it.

It felt like Krentz wanted to explore an idea she had a few years ago and didn't want to waste her research or the manuscript that was stashed in a bottom
Brett
Nov 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
Finished "Falling Awake" by Jayne Ann Krentz. I really did not like this one, for a lot of reasons.

First and foremost, it needed another editor to clean up the language and events. There was no normal dialogue among the characters. Everything seemed a little too scripted, too wooden, including the fully-qualified names for things, such as the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research. I swear if the name if the place were "The Honolulu Branch of the Pinkleton/Belvedere University Hospital Center for
Linda
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Isabel is a dream analyzer in a smaller division of a big company. When the promotion she expected turns into search for a new employment, shes disappointed. Good thing she has family that will help.
Ellis, an independent contractor, depends on the help with analyzing his dreams, so when it gets shut down theyll have to solve it, asap. Now Ellis is sent on the mission to convince Isabel to start working for his agency instead.
When a conspiracy starts entangling them both theyll have to work
Alicja
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything is like in Krentz's books should be: a mysterious and dangerous Hero, enterprising and intelligent heroine , mystery and a little magic . And the feeling . Mature , evolving . Awaited and hot.
Mari (Smut Duchess)
I listened to this book with my Romance Unlimited subscription. It's the typical Jayne Ann Krentz book. She seldom deviates from her predictable plots. There's a comfort in that though.

A dream analyst and a lucid dreamer from a secret government agency team up to solve a murder mystery.

3.5 - 4 *****
Leslie Whaley
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually kinda surprised how much I liked this book. There wasn't anything crazy spectacular about it but I liked the characters, the story line, the romance and the bit of action/suspense.
Mojca
The Belvedere Center for Sleep Research caters to the demands of two mysterious clients with the ability of lucid dreaming - the state where the dreamer knows he/she is dreaming and can alter the dreamscape to their own wishes.

Isabel Wright, herself a Level Five (the highest level of lucid dreaming) is the one in charge of interpreting their dreams. She is so intrigued by the Client Number Two that the man eventually starts appearing in her dreams. She dubs him Dream Man.

Enter Ellis Cutler,
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you love the Arcane Series from JAK then you will love this book too. It almost seems like this is a early writing that was maybe the start of the Arcane family. Honestly with a name change it could easily have been one of the books in the series.

Isabel is a dream analyst but not what we normally think of when we think about our dreams. This is not the "this symbol means this" type of answers. This goes much deeper. She works for a man who believes she can do this but is hiding her talents
Robin
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was cheesy, simple and almost a waste of time to read. I thought it had potential during the part where it explains dream analysis and psychic dreaming to solve crimes. But honestly everything that was supposed to be "Top Secret" was spread around candidly and for as few of people as there was supposed to be who were "Level 5 Lucid Dreamers", they were sure popping up everywhere, seemed like everyone was by the end of the book. There was a lot of oh brother kind of stuff from the dark ...more
Shelly
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
There was a lot of good things about this book. The characters were probably the best part. They we really well developed and I liked them both. Some aspects of the book I didn't fully understand at first, like the Level 5 dreaming. But by the end, I had a clearer understanding of it.
R.G.
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
i loved the whole theories on dreaming it in itself was an interesting subject and of course the twist and turns along the way... definitely didn't end the way i thought it was... and of course it was a beautiful romance... i love people falling in love... it's just wonderful
Carol Stanley-Snow
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since i read Janyne Krentz and now i wonder why????

This book has it all...romance, mystery, intrigue, murder and best of all...an unexpected happy ending.

You must read to see what i mean...enjoy!
pianogal
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads
This is my all-time favorite Krentz book. If you've never read it - read it. I'm serious. I loved the plot, I liked the characters. It's just a good book. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would.
Shirlene
Isabel Wright worked for Dr. Martin Belvedere at Belvedere Center Sleep Research Center. She was a person who had the ability to read dreams. Dr. Belvedere had two special clients that worked for a government agency, Client One and Client Two. She read their dreams that were given to her and her analysis of those dreams helped those clients catch criminals. The only problem Isabel had with the dream analysis was that they left her with nightmares because she received no closure on the cases.
Teri-K
This definitely wasn't one of Krentz's best books, but it had some things that I really enjoyed. I really liked the heroine. She was smart but not perfect, able to take care of herself and others and occasionally said something that made me grin. The hero was fine but never really came alive for me, and I thought having two other couples with big relationship problems was a bit much. Also, the psychic dreaming details didn't interest me so I was glad they were just a small part of the plot, ...more
Michelle
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
As a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz this book is a disappointment. It lacks the sparkle of her older books and the writing style is not a polished as her other novels. I wonder if this was a book which she wrote when she was just starting out and has "reworked" now she is an established author. My main issue with the book was the mechanics of the lucid dreaming theory was not properly explained although it is extensively referenced in plot. The main characters were OK but I did not have the investment ...more
Carly Kirk
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
This just wasn't quite what I was expecting - I wanted more of the dreaming portion to play a part, but each of the main characters only had one dream each that the readers got to experience with them. The plot was a bit chaotic as well with conclusions made and acted upon about the bad guy's motives and thoughts that didn't make a lot of sense to me. And the bedroom scenes were the deep kiss, fade to black, then dealing with the morning after stuff type. I want a little more description, but ...more
Pansy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book. Everything I didn't know I wanted to know about dreaming. I honestly do not know how much of this book is factual or how much is pure fiction. But it is written so that it all sounds like it could be factual. I believe.

Falling Awake was exciting. I was drawn in and couldn't stop listening. Wonderful story with interesting characters. A fine example of why I love Jayne Ann Krentz books. Have you read one yet? You should try one.
Desiree Bergman
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoy reading anything by Jayne Ann Krentz, I stumbled onto her by picking up a book at my local library from her and loved it because it had everything sex, love, mystery, danger you name it. This is a book that otherwise I would not normally pick up, but I did and i thoroughly enjoyed it. It has one of those out there back stories, but it was intriguing. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a bit of romance with a touch of suspense and who done it.
Nina
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it. At times while reading I felt like Katy Perry saying: cool, cool, cool. I mean the whole topic about dreaming was out of this world but presented in a serious way, hence the Katy Perry part. Overall I liked this a tad better than some of her romance novels as Amanda Quick. I just wish she would sometimes cross the line from her usual way of writing, just do something unexpected. It would be refreshing and definitely raise her numbers from usual grade 3.
Kathy
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read a number of Krentz's books. This one says it is a stand alone but it seems like it is part of a series. Like a number of her psychic stories it has the same vibe but I feel like I am missing something all the way through. It is a good book though just like all the other great books I have read.
Joy
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isabel is a dream analyst. Ellis is a Level 5 dreamer. The people around them think they have mental problems - but together they are a government agency's secret weapon. That much power is bound to attract competition.
Mara
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Honestly: boring. The pace was snail-quick, ergo none.
On a side note, she's the less creative author I read. She either writes the same story or the same idea (here the dream research).
At 9$ I can't recommend it.
Maryellen Walter
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Usually like Jayne Krentz books but this one left me cold. Struggled to finish it. I guess it was too far out for me. Enough said.
Debbie Tanguay
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
ok sleep clinic that has high level dreamers- espionage etc
Maxine
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love it. But it was fun, and silly.
Susan Ward
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome book by Jayne Ann Krentz!
Susan Procter
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A fun vacation read.
Karen Kinsella
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, far from great. JAK always provides an entertaining read. This one was that, but a little odd.
MissJessie
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hard core fans only.
Not her best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Falling Awake (2004) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 01:10PM

• Wait Until Midnight
  • The River Knows
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Affair
  • Garden of Lies
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • I Thee Wed (Vanza, #2)
  • Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1)
  • Slightly Shady (Lake/March, #1)
  • The Paid Companion
  • Don't Look Back (Lake/March, # 2)
  • With This Ring  (Vanza, #1)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters
“through gritted teeth, “is to look through” 1 likes