Start by marking “Strange Jest: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
Strange Jest: A Short Story

Strange Jest: A Short Story

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Miss Marple is accosted at a party by a pair of lovebirds who think that a lately deceased uncle has buried their inheritance. The naïve pair expects Miss Marple to instantaneously summon forth where the buried treasure is. But, this careful observer of human nature—the consequence of living in a small English village—knows that a little examination is needed. Invited to A ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Jest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Jest

Lou
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was short and funny.
Rebecca
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An entertaining story.
Cathy Cole
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Marple comes to the aid of a young couple who can't find their inheritance due to their Uncle Mathew's distrust of banks and his sense of humor. I loved the solution, but since both the young people had the sense of last year's bird's nest (they were going to inherit, so they didn't have to apply themselves to anything, you see) I wish Miss Marple had kept everything for herself!
Liedzeit
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Miss Marple Geschichten. Schrulliger Alter hinterlässt Erbe in Form von Briefmarken auf fingierten Liebesbriefen.
Rosanne
A good mystery

The story about what happened to the Uncle's money is a good mystery. Miss Marple runs true to form with her dithering. Worth more money.
Caroline
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Short story previously published in Miss Marple's Final Cases and Three Blind Mice and Other Stories.

Classic Miss Marple. A good way to pass 15 minutes.

Serena
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Miss Marple: the Complete Short Stories

Rating System:
* couldn't finish, ** wouldn't recommend, *** would recommend, **** would read again, ***** have read again
Scott
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Pretty decent story - my first Miss Marple so I had no past or introduction to her and this story probably isn't what I should start with but it's what I had.

If you like Christie then you'll probably want to read this.
If you're not a fan then this won't make you a fan.
pc quinn
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange Jest

As usual, Agatha Christie holds the reader's attention all the way through, whether it is a short story or a book. I love all her stories, but Miss Marple is my favorite of all her detectives.

Cassie Hawkings
I have always loved Agatha Christie's work. I might just be getting into her books having watched so many of the TV adaptations of her books on TV but I'm not too sure about this short story. I didn't know whether to like it or loath alas the 2 stars.
Julie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun Miss Marple mystery about a lost inheritance. This series is great and never disappoints.
Jan
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened-to
One of the stories in teh final case book. Not one of the best
Lindsay
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great short story!
Pat
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great short story seemingly effortlessly told with strong characters and sense of place, humor, and complexity of plot..a delight
Shinjini
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting and funny short story. Miss Marple appears to be almost just as eccentric as Poirot. And just as entertaining!
Steve Hazell
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Somewhat entertaining but the payoff was kind of meh.
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
I'm probably going to anger some people, but I really don't like Joan Hickson's narration. Also, the solution, while it might have been original at the time, reminded me of too many other stories.
Maximiliano
Jun 26, 2016
Hammad Hamid
Oct 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes / His Last Bow (Collector's Library)
  • Shadow: A Parable
  • Wounds
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • The Wrong Box

More about Agatha Christie...