Start by marking “NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence” as Want to Read:
NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence

NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence

The need to handle increasingly larger data volumes is one factor driving the adoption of a new class of nonrelational "NoSQL" databases. Advocates of NoSQL databases claim they can be used to build systems that are more performant, scale better, and are easier to program." ""NoSQL Distilled" is a concise but thorough introduction to this rapidly emerging technology. ...more
Published August 13th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published August 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about NoSQL Distilled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NoSQL Distilled

Start your review of NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence
Sergio Folgar
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
The first part deals with distributed databases concepts like different consistency types, resilience, CAP and the motivation for NoSQL. Very useful reminder for less theoretical people like me.

The second part picks a sample database for each one of the different NoSQL types (key-value, column, document and graph) and explains its application with a little code sample. Each chapters ends with best and worst case scenarios for each database type.

It works as a quick survey of current NoSQL and
Rod Hilton
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
The world of NoSQL is still very young and very fresh. Most books about relational databases tend to be about a specific one, like Oracle or MySQL, and tend to deal with specific issues, such as performance or scalability but very few developers are using NoSQL solutions on such a scale as to warrant those kinds of treatments. The questions developers have about NoSQL don't call for books like "High Performance MongoDB: Optimization, Backups, and Replication", but that exact book exists for ...more
Boyan
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
A great overview of NoSQL databases in under 200 pages. I wish most books would cut the clutter and reach the same level of brevity, which is so easy to read.
Amar Pai
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Good for what it is-- a slim high level overview of NoSQL that gives you historical context and discusses key concepts like CAP theorem, distribution strategies (sharding, master/slave replication, peer to peer replication) and store types (key value, column family, document-based, graph). But, there's not much "there" there. It's all fairly abstract and intentionally doesn't get into the nitty gritty of real life use cases. I would've liked to have seen real life case studies though. You're not ...more
Alex Jablonski
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech, work
Concise, conversational, and holds up well about 5 years on as an accessible reference to NoSQL databases.
Kirill
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Martin Fowler books are traditionally from very high quality (Pramod Sadalage is a new author for me but I could expect that he works at the same professional level). In this respect the "NoSQL Distilled" is not much different. All the most important concepts are very accurate defined and detailed described. What is the best way to design aggregates, why transactions have lost its importance, sharding, replication and consistency issues - everything is explained with precise clarity. One gets ...more
Manu Pk
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
The number one reason for the use of NoSQL databases is not performance and should be our use case. This means if our data model does not fit well in to the relational model, rather than twisting the data we can choose alternate data stores. This is absolutely critical if you want NoSQL to be used in most of the mid sized enterprise applications. Also companies will start to believe that they should consider NoSQL it even if they are not Google or Amazon.

When I was reading the book I thought
Vladislav Gangan
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A quick and concise introduction into the world of NoSQL. Explains the 4 primary types of solutions really well. Provides good fundamentals into how to reason about your data in order to make it compatible for use in NoSQL solutions. The scalability considerations are very well thought out and give enough context to apply when designing for your specific cases. Very well done - bravo to the authors.
Marcin
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-ebook
I've liked it very much. It was precisely what I was looking for, so a broad overview of NoSQL databases, advantages and shortcomings. Don't expect any deep dive into particular technologies, it's more a birds eye view on 4 different NoSQL db types: key-value, document, graph and wide-column databases, how they work, where they come short.. And as such, I think this book delivers.
Recep Karabıçak
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
As clearly stated by the authors in the who should read this book section, this book won’t answer all your questions about nosql databases but will help you ask good questions. Overall this book presents a nice overview of the topic.
Maria Ines Parnisari
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it
Good introduction. Lacks real world examples.
Jonathan MacDonald
Good Overview; Comparisons of No SQL DB types could be better

The book gives a good lay of the land regarding what the different types of NoSQL databases are and how they're structured; however it was a little confusing trying to understand why one would choose one type over another. Also, it appears that the material is already starting to be outdated when addressing capabilities of these databases.

I think it would have been helpful to address the mindset that is required by a data modeler to be
Dmytro Chasovskyi
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
This is a great book and reference material for people who just enter the NoSQL world.
For people, with experience in the field, I recommend reading on a chapter basis.

Even some of the described DBs are inactive or never got big enough community to strive, I recommend this book because it aggregates all the main concepts of the NoSQL world and this world didn't change that much over the last 5+ years.
Lester Martin
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Great, and super quick, introduction to the concepts behind, the various types of, and popular implementations of NoSQL systems. Slideshare and YouTube review links at https://martin.atlassian.net/wiki/spa....
Jonathan
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good primer for the beginning NoSQL enthusiast. Sets you up nicely to make an educated decision as to which types of NoSQL databases exist and whether they will be useful in your organization. I would recommend this book.
Oleksandr Bilyk
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good short light book. Nothing new for me but it was required to have a ground in technical discussion. Now I definitely love Microsoft CosmosDB because it hides lots of stuff behind and provides only service for solution.
Yasser Makram
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good birds eye view of the NoSQL space.
Kripa Sharma
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Watch Youtube video from Martin Fowler, you will be able to finish this book really fast.
Gabriel Morales
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to a broad topic

It was a funny and great journey reading this book. I really like how Martin writes and I going to apply his advices
Viraj Bhosle
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it's not very clear. Overall it was a good read!
Raj
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best book I could find for a short primer on NoSQL data stores.
Karthikeyan
Nov 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very Primitive understanding of NoSQL, not all three major players are listed. I wouldn't even recommend for a beginner
Wangyiran
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
chapter 2 is good for knowledge nosql benefit,but is a little complex to understand,you can read twice to feel.
the chapter 2 tell me what is aggregation model and how to model it.
chapter 3 tell me the schemaless database and the difference relational and nosql database.
chapter 4 let me know nosql distribution benefit,replication and shard.from single server to peer-to-peer.
chapter 5 is a little difficult to understand.you could get the general conception,but not deep to understand.
chapter 6 is
Roshan Titus
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good introductory book to the world of NoSQL databases. A quick read to understand the basic concepts of NoSQL databases like how horizontal scaling of data is achieved in NoSQL databases using aggregate data model, sharding and replication. The book also discusses how consistency and isolation is achieved in NoSQL databases. There are dedicated chapters discussing the 4 categories of NoSQL database implementations currently available. But the chapter that discuss the emerging idea of ...more
Giovanni
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Concise but at the same time exhaustive introduction to the world of NoSQL.

The author goes gives a good insight of what NoSQL db are and why differently from other failed attempts they actually had success and at the moment their usage is always more frequent.

The author also compares NoSQL vs sql-like technologies and provide the reader with enough knowledge to decide whether or not to use NoSQL products.

The conclusion of the book, that I personally share, does not state which technology is
Chris Wood
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
NoSQL Distilled has provided the technical community with a much needed broad overview of non-relational schema products in a quickly digestible manner. There are many materials that individual dive deep into a specific NoSQL technology. However, none have taken such a wide swath of material to cover. Fowler and Sadalage have done a superb job of distilling the importants facets of the NoSQL movement and technologies.

For a detailed overview of the book, see my summary here:
Christophe Addinquy
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a short and quick-to-read book like Martin Fowler's UML distilled I appreciate so much. Unfortunately, this one doesn't reach its target. Too much space is dedicted to sub-important topics, whil the important ones (the discovery of the different NoSQL flavors) could take advantage of a better treatment. I mean, they deserve 2 or 3 times more space with real samples showing how we use them.
note de lecture complète en français ici
Nicholas Moryl
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The thing about overviews like this is that they have to make assumptions about their audience: what it knows already and what it doesn't. There's some interesting information in here, but in some places I found it either overshot or undershot my understanding. Either that means my background knowledge is oddly constructed and this is tailored for people who learned about databases in a very different way than I did, or it could probably use some more content to bridge the gap between the basics ...more
Matteo Tomasulo
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: databasae
This book starts with an introduction on horizontal scalability and how databases are involved in this problematic, and how NoSql helps to solve this; on this topic CAP Theorem very well explained.
Then the book shows the different types of NoSql showing some examples and declaring pros and cons.

It was what I was looking for, a book with a wide introduction on concept, principles and terms regarding NoSql.
After this book you can choose a NoSql and than take a specific book on that one.
Amar
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book does a good job of explaining the need/use-cases for the NoSQL databases. A lot of different types of databases maybe could have done better with more pages, but then I guess this is in line with the intent of the book, i.e. the author wanted to more of explain to user, when should you use which databases, rather than explain how to use the database.
In short, it was a nice and fun read...
« previous 1 3 next »

• Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Clean Architecture
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Code Complete
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride
  • Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Pramod J. Sadalage, Principal Consultant at ThoughtWorks, enjoys the rare role of bridging the divide between database professionals and application developers. He regularly consults with clients who have particularly challenging data needs requiring new technologies and techniques. He developed pioneering techniques that allowed relational databases to be designed in an evolutionary manner based ...more
“Different databases are designed to solve different problems. Using a single database engine for all of the requirements usually leads to non- performant solutions; storing transactional data, caching session information, traversing graph of customers and the products their friends bought are essentially different problems.” 1 likes
“Complex applications combine different types of problems, so picking the right language for each job may be more productive than trying to fit all aspects into a single language.” 0 likes