Start by marking “HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across (HBR Guide Series)” as Want to Read:
HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across (HBR Guide Series)

HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across (HBR Guide Series)

ARE YOUR WORKING RELATIONSHIPS WORKING AGAINST YOU?

To achieve your goals and get ahead, you need to rally people behind you and your ideas. But how do you do that when you lack formal authority? Or when you have a boss who gets in your way? Or when you’re juggling others’ needs at the expense of your own?

By managing up, down, and across the organization. Your success depen
Published January 15th 2013 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across

Dev Thomas
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
A quick read. As with other HBG guides, it is a collection of HBR articles and books. Most of the articles have been cut short with the hope, I am assuming, to make it more interesting. So, if depth is what you are looking for, you may stay away from this. However, if you have reached a dead end with some of your relationships or situations upwards and across, this could throw up some fresh ideas
sadiq
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, apt and actionable
William Anderson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A collection of summarized articles that start along the theme of managing up, transition to managing across (via influence to those not in your reporting structure) and ends with articles on the general topics of collaboration.

This is an excellent curation with very little redundancy that can serve as a great starting point towards further reading or exploration on anumbet of topics.

Of particular interest to me were two articles, one on managing remote employees/being managed remotely and anoth
Muhannad
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a shorter and more condensed series than the 20 must reads. It includes articles from other books too. This is not bad if you enjoy the more concise articles which sometimes give just enough to get you thinking. Most content can be predictable.
Pradip Caulagi
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Lisa Achilles
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-150
A helpful read that I will likely return to reread at a later date. This is a helpful book for beginning supervisors as well as line staff while adapting to changing corporate culture.
Rebecca Lunny
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Read for a workshop I'm participating in
Subbu Ananth
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Priceless collection of ideas to make life (and work) better !
Stefan Ritter
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This should be mandatory reading for anyone with a job. I wish I would have read this booklet a bit earlier in my career. Especially if you're in a bigger company this book's articles are very helpful to understand how your managers and the company's leaders operate and think.

Three main takeaways:
1. Emotional intelligence is the most important trait of a great leader, and you can learn to improve it.
2. Be thoughtful and methodological about networking: An effective network consists of 12-18 grea
Geoff
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you follow the blog you’re aware I’ve been having a mini-professional identity crisis. Earlier this week I wrote about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2016 where I found tips and tricks to focus on my strengths and professional interests. I also wrote about my first forays into the idea of managing up with Harvard Business Review’s Managing Up , in their 20-Minute Manager Series. I was interested in finding out more after I read it and luckily I already had a copy of this from my local libra ...more
Balimuse
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
The book can be really useful for young people who just start with their carrier.
Aaron K
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Some decent points from the different articles. Nothing groundbreaking.
Hani Al-Kharaz
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Way below my expectations
Jeremy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice and helpful, though it is very much a collection of essays and not a cohesive book.
Vishal Patel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
good advice for overall management side for new managers
Linda
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Mostly excerpts from other books, a selection of teasers to make you ponder buying one of those.
Scott
Sep 30, 2018
Jay
Aug 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • HBR Guide to Office Politics (HBR Guide Series)
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing (HBR Guide Series)
  • HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around
  • Leading from the Front: No-Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women: No-Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • Smart Talk: The Public Speaker’s Guide to Success in Every Situation
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Six Sigma for Dummies
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • The Harvard Business Review Manager's Handbook: The 17 Skills Leaders Need to Stand Out
  • Hunch: Turn Your Everyday Insights Into the Next Big Thing
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of Respect
  • Emotional Intelligence for Sales Success: Connect with Customers and Get Results
  • Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You