Start by marking “enough” as Want to Read:
enough

enough

What is enough? Enough is a very personal metric. Like our center of gravity, each of us must find what is enough by swaying from less to more until a comfortable medium is found. The goal, then, is not to find what is, or will be, enough forever. That is impossible. The goal is to discover the tools and strategies you need to find what is enough for you right now and prov ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by First Today Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about enough

Start your review of enough
Bethany
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok, full disclosure in case you didn't already know — Patrick Rhone, as well as being an awesome author, is my husband. And I have lived constantly with the creation of this book for well over a year.

That said, the fact that I still love this book (and I am picky) is a testament. Every essay in this book (no matter how much I discussed them when they were being written) makes me think, and think some more, and go back to thinking. This is the kind of book that depends upon the reader to DO somet
Bryant  J Dawson
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consolidation of essays

If you are coming to this book expecting a storyline, you may be disappointed. This is a collection of essays circling around the central theme. For me, this provided a method by which I could ponder the thoughts within each of the essays and decide for myself how I might apply them.
Renjith R Nair
I cannot say this is a full-featured book, but it is worth reading. Patrick Rhone mostly focused on the importance of keeping an 'enough' attitude and by doing so everyone can save quality time and peace of mind. If we split the book by its content, the first part handles the common life situations and the latter part discusses the technological challenges to be overridden. There are simple yet practical ideas all over the book. ...more
Kyle
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-digital, favorite
Patrick Rhone is a brilliant man who's writings and ramblings offer deep insight into us as individuals and the human race on a whole. In this book he writes about the concept of "Enough" which is in essence the concept of balance and moderation, leading us to consider our base needs and what is really required of us to be successful in life. Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, he writes about our never ending search to find Enough; an ever-changing metric that we must continually find fo ...more
Jarkko Laine
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: minimalism
I wanted to give this book more than three stars, as I liked many of the ideas from Rhone and I knew his writing from his blogs... But having just finished reading "Free Will" by Sam Harris, I can't help but compare the books with each other. And this comparison shows clearly that while Harris is a fabulous writer, Rhone is not quite there yet.

This is a good book with good ideas. Not great, but good.
Meghan McInerny
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A collection of short, but thought-provoking essays. I didn't always agree with the author, but his arguments are well-written and enjoyable to read. Some of the essays are informational, others instructional, others more meditative.

I own a print copy of the book and its one of the few that stays on my nightstand if I need a little something to ruminate on before going to sleep (especially some of the essays that focus on gratitude and reflection).
Grace Hill
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of essays. It was nice to be able to pick up and read a few as a type of "pep talk" and then put the book down. I loved it. ...more
Richard
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking, inspiring and beautifully written

This book is a series of short essays on a variety of topics, ranging from productivity, to how we use technology, to every day life and personal development.

I read the book over a period of weeks, dipping in and out whenever I needed a jolt of energy to kick-start my brain.

The book is beautifully written. Each chapter feels more like a conversation with the author than an essay you read.

If you work in IT, then I suspect you'll find this book e
Deborah
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very encouraging book, although it took me forever to read... too much to chew on, I suppose.
Basically, going over what we already know: we have been sucked into a consumerism mindset that is overwhelming us on so many levels.
Reset - learn to be grateful and content, learn to be discerning about what you do with your time, money, energy and emotions.
Patrick Rhone spells out compelling reasons to do so, then follows it up by answering the eternal question: "Yes, but how?"
Highly recomm
Mark
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I heard about Patrick Rhone through the Minimalism movie on Netflix. Rhone had a few narrative spots that demonstrated his insightful way of looking at the world. I appreciated this book for the questions that it asks, rather than the lecturing it could give. I also found it interesting that Rhone discloses that he wrote the book on his iPhone and iPad. Great to see him exploring how much tech is "enough" to write a book. ...more
Marilee Yeager
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in one sitting because I was entirely captivated with what Patrick Rhone shared. I am walking away from this book with a clearer head— my desires, intentions, and what I want my life to look like seems clearer. I feel that I am equipped with practical ways to create change in my life for the better.

If you need inspiration or a kickstart into allowing purposeful and valuable experiences in your life... you ought to read this one.
Ian Meyer
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Substance and subtlety.

I read this over the past three or four days, and I'm satisfied. I would definitely read again because he gets into topics that interest my own writing. Easy to read but not always easy to comprehend the enormity of the subjects; it acts as a great intro to things that we need to understand.
Madeline
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative book

I like that the book made me think differently then I usually do. It made me more aware of how to spent my time constructively. Also, the book was very positive and encouraging on ways to change.
Jon Bash
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of essays

At times it felt a bit scattered; I think I may have enjoyed a more through-composed book on a single subject along these lines. Still, some really great thoughts to chew on.
Nikhil
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
At its best 'Enough' is thought provoking and full of interesting practical advice. It can get a bit repetitive at times especially towards the end when the same points about social media and digital selves are rehashed over and over again.

Still, a good read and it left me with some interesting experiments to try out in my own life.
Paul Craig
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A concise collection of desperately needed and essential essays for living in these distracted and complicated times. Patrick Rhone is razor sharp with his prose... and even sharper with his insights.

Marco Alberto Mendoza
Great intro to using minimalist tactics to organize the mind

I know it's more a general exploration,but to use the ideas to also affect thought process was rather shocking to me. Great read, short and sweet. Also dense. It was muffin then
Janis
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the tech slimdown and simplification of wardrobe and career ideas - probably could have been consolidated even more. Otherwise, it was not really the minimal approach I have been focusing on. Still valuable takeaways.
Britney Bartz
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ideas
Simple, easy to read yet engages the reader to think about their choices. It has the reader examine what is enough in their lives. Even if you are content with your situation, it's a good read to examine your home situation. ...more
TiSh
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Finally got around to reading this and it surely did not disappoint. Wish I had read this sooner. Occasionally found Rhone's redundant phrasing mildly distracting. Already have my sights set on a few books from Further Reading. ...more
Victor
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
An easy to read compilation of articles, this is a nice criticism of consumerism and technology creating a divide between people. All his points resonate d with me.
Charles Baker
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of wisdom in this book, along with practical steps that can be implemented. It did start to feel a bit repetitive in the latter third.
Bruno
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really felt that this book wasn't about the enough concept, it was more like why is important to know how and when to use technology, it told some other things, though. ...more
Tanner Christensen
Seeing Life as Enough

Deeply enjoyed this book! It brought so much insight to what I already felt was true. Truly changed my perspective about what I personally find to be enough.
Marco Regina
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. Super interesting and on point. If everyone read it... the world would be a better place.
Miran
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It is thoughtful and provocative, smartly written collection of essays for anybody who wants to start exploring about what enough means in their lives.
Michael H
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of great musings on life he how a lot of us are missing it!
Lisa Coker
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

Simple, practical and to the point advice about figuring out what’s important in life. I love books that are clear, concise and just makes sense!
Christopher Halloran
Simple. Thought provoking.

Every essay is just Enough to get you thinking about an idea with a fresh perspective. Quick read with substance.
Rob
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Great collection of essays, fast & easy read, lots to think about.

• Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Considerations
  • Everything That Remains: A Memoir by the Minimalists
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
  • The Little Book of Contentment: A Guide to Becoming Happy with Life and Who You Are, While Getting Things Done
  • Break the Twitch: A Practical Guide to Minimalism, Intentional Living & Doing More of What Matters
  • Mini-missions for Simplicity: small actions for massive change
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own
  • Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge That Proves Less Really Is So Much More
  • The Naked House: Five Principles for a Minimalist Home
  • The Upside of Downsizing: Getting to Enough
  • Poke the Box
  • Vivere di Rendita: Raggiungi l'obiettivo con il Metodo RGGI
  • Smettere di lavorare: Cambiare vita – Guadagnare risparmiando – Far fruttare le proprie passioni - Vivere bene con poco – Trasferirsi all’estero
  • Vivere intenzionalmente: Semplici pratiche per rimanere connessi con i propri perché
  • Becoming Who We Need To Be