Start by marking “enough” as Want to Read:
enough

enough

What is enough? Enough is a very personal metric. Like our center of gravity, each of us must find what is enough by swaying from less to more until a comfortable medium is found. The goal, then, is not to find what is, or will be, enough forever. That is impossible. The goal is to discover the tools and strategies you need to find what is enough for you right now and ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by First Today Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about enough

Start your review of enough
Bethany
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok, full disclosure in case you didn't already know — Patrick Rhone, as well as being an awesome author, is my husband. And I have lived constantly with the creation of this book for well over a year.

That said, the fact that I still love this book (and I am picky) is a testament. Every essay in this book (no matter how much I discussed them when they were being written) makes me think, and think some more, and go back to thinking. This is the kind of book that depends upon the reader to DO
Bryant  J Dawson
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consolidation of essays

If you are coming to this book expecting a storyline, you may be disappointed. This is a collection of essays circling around the central theme. For me, this provided a method by which I could ponder the thoughts within each of the essays and decide for myself how I might apply them.
Kyle
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-digital, favorite
Patrick Rhone is a brilliant man who's writings and ramblings offer deep insight into us as individuals and the human race on a whole. In this book he writes about the concept of "Enough" which is in essence the concept of balance and moderation, leading us to consider our base needs and what is really required of us to be successful in life. Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, he writes about our never ending search to find Enough; an ever-changing metric that we must continually find ...more
Meghan McInerny
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A collection of short, but thought-provoking essays. I didn't always agree with the author, but his arguments are well-written and enjoyable to read. Some of the essays are informational, others instructional, others more meditative.

I own a print copy of the book and its one of the few that stays on my nightstand if I need a little something to ruminate on before going to sleep (especially some of the essays that focus on gratitude and reflection).
Jarkko Laine
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: minimalism
I wanted to give this book more than three stars, as I liked many of the ideas from Rhone and I knew his writing from his blogs... But having just finished reading "Free Will" by Sam Harris, I can't help but compare the books with each other. And this comparison shows clearly that while Harris is a fabulous writer, Rhone is not quite there yet.

This is a good book with good ideas. Not great, but good.
Grace Hill
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of essays. It was nice to be able to pick up and read a few as a type of "pep talk" and then put the book down. I loved it.
Mark
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I heard about Patrick Rhone through the Minimalism movie on Netflix. Rhone had a few narrative spots that demonstrated his insightful way of looking at the world. I appreciated this book for the questions that it asks, rather than the lecturing it could give. I also found it interesting that Rhone discloses that he wrote the book on his iPhone and iPad. Great to see him exploring how much tech is "enough" to write a book.
Nikhil
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
At its best 'Enough' is thought provoking and full of interesting practical advice. It can get a bit repetitive at times especially towards the end when the same points about social media and digital selves are rehashed over and over again.

Still, a good read and it left me with some interesting experiments to try out in my own life.
Madeline
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative book

I like that the book made me think differently then I usually do. It made me more aware of how to spent my time constructively. Also, the book was very positive and encouraging on ways to change.
Jon Bash
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of essays

At times it felt a bit scattered; I think I may have enjoyed a more through-composed book on a single subject along these lines. Still, some really great thoughts to chew on.
Paul Craig
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A concise collection of desperately needed and essential essays for living in these distracted and complicated times. Patrick Rhone is razor sharp with his prose... and even sharper with his insights.

Bruno
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really felt that this book wasn't about the enough concept, it was more like why is important to know how and when to use technology, it told some other things, though.
Charles Baker
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of wisdom in this book, along with practical steps that can be implemented. It did start to feel a bit repetitive in the latter third.
Lisa Coker
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

Simple, practical and to the point advice about figuring out what’s important in life. I love books that are clear, concise and just makes sense!
Victor
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
An easy to read compilation of articles, this is a nice criticism of consumerism and technology creating a divide between people. All his points resonate d with me.
Miran
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It is thoughtful and provocative, smartly written collection of essays for anybody who wants to start exploring about what enough means in their lives.
Michael H
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of great musings on life he how a lot of us are missing it!
Marco Regina
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. Super interesting and on point. If everyone read it... the world would be a better place.
Tanner Christensen
Seeing Life as Enough

Deeply enjoyed this book! It brought so much insight to what I already felt was true. Truly changed my perspective about what I personally find to be enough.
Ade
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays
Yes, because what the world needs now is more pontifications from middle class white guys who own Macs. Patrick Rhone has suggestions to help you become a better, preppier, middle-classier Mac owner: stop dicking around on the Internet so much, read a book now and then, learn to really appreciate those interpersonal moments, have some Deep Thoughts and don't get distracted by books like this. Kidding; that last one is mine. Pay me.

It's not a bad book: fairly pleasant light reading, and not
Mike Vardy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All we really need is enough. My enough will be very different from yours. Patrick Rhone has written a book that allows us to reflect on what our own version of “enough” is — and it can do that for us whenever we need to be reminded of that, or when our “enough” has changed. This book is a must-read and a must-have on your bookshelf so that you can return to it whenever you feel the need. Even one essay will bring a sense of order to the chaos because each essay compels the reader to look inward ...more
Priyank Aggarwal
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
It's good to read fresh new views on simplicity after reading those of Leo, The Minimalists Duane Elgin and others. The book is an easy read, the views and topics are easily digestable and the style is quite impressive. But I found some repetition and some superfluous stuff (as per moi).

Still a good read and worth buying.
Derek Choi
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a very avid follower of the blog of Patrick Rhone so I had pretty high expectations for this book.

But I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, primarily because I always felt like I wanted more elaboration of each chapter which to me we're an awkward length between an extended blog post and an essay.

Still a solid read though.
jim
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I really like Rhone's writing style (something I knew going into this). It's a bit like watching a fireplace video on--hushed, calming, welcoming, and on the screen (this was an eBook). Enough reminded me to be conscious of life, the internet, and technology. I'd have liked a bit more depth on some of this, and can hope that his next book will provide that depth. I'll certainly get that one, too.
Curtismchale
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent series of essays by Patrick Rhone that explores what it means to have Enough in all our life. From the clothes we own to how we check email get ready for a thoughtful exploration of contentedness in our digital age without simply advocating ascetism.
Romany
This read more as a series of musings than a book. Written in 2012, it also came across as a bit dated - the reader would have had a different experience back then. Still, some good advice (take a break from social media, value the things you have, less is more).
Èlia Viader
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with it. Truly! ... and also with him.

He's a very great storyteller and what he comments, I mean, are issues that turn around my mind and everyone's life every damn day.

Completly inflame :)
Brian Grinter
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it

Collection of short essays - interesting read
Ttscoff
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it. A book that actually made me think about my life and my choices that wasn't some kind of flaky self-help book. Very nice.
Elizabeth Tupper
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A short essay book that will make you think and will inspire you to take action.

• Break the Twitch: A Practical Guide to Minimalism, Intentional Living & Doing More of What Matters
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own
  • The Cozy Life: Rediscover the Joy of the Simple Things Through the Danish Concept of Hygge
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • Everything That Remains: A Memoir by the Minimalists
  • Considerations
  • The Minimalism Challenge: 52 small changes and good habits that will simplify your life in a year: Practice the art of happiness by discovering how less is more. (Streamline Your Life Book 1)
  • Zen Habits - Handbook for Life
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • The Little Book of Contentment: A Guide to Becoming Happy with Life and Who You Are, While Getting Things Done
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • Fresh Start: 31 Days to Simplify, Declutter and Rein in the Chaos
  • No Impact Man
  • One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler
“Enough comes from trying things out. It comes from challenging your preconceptions. It comes from having less, trying more, then reducing to find out what is just right. It comes from letting go of your fear of less. It comes from letting go of the false security of more. It also comes from having more, losing it all, and finding out what need really is. Enough is hard work.” 1 likes
“Time and attention are your most limited resources. Be fiercely protective of how you spend them.” 1 likes