Start by marking “Prophet (Struck, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Prophet (Struck, #0.5)

Prophet

(Struck 0.5)

Some men are born monsters . . . others are made so. In "Prophet," Rance Ridley, the teenage son of a cult leader, lives on an isolated compound, disconnected from modern civilization. There is no running water. No electricity. And no law but the Prophet's. When Rance is caught in an act of flagrant disobedience, his father delivers the ultimate punishment, and Rance is ...more
Published April 25th 2012 by Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Prophet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophet

Start your review of Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
Feb 27, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Not only did I read this story, but I also wrote it!
Greg
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, science-fiction
Interesting short story about the son of a religious cult leader and how, aged thirteen, certain events would change his life forever. It presents a nice example of the distorted worldview of cults and the autocratic power of cult leaders, but with a hint of otherness about it. While it's nicely written, I would've preferred a longer tale. My interest is nonetheless piqued so I will be checking out other books and stories in the Struck series.

Franci
#24 of 2020

Have absolutely no intention of reading the series after this....
Janus the Erudite Artist
I struggled with reading Struck by Jennifer Bosworth, so I thought maybe reading Prophet after was a good idea to help me appreciate it more. These were the moments when I thought I just didn’t get the whole thought behind the story of Struck. Seeing Prophet, I thought to myself: “Hey! Maybe this’ll help me get to know Rance Ridley and why he’s so villain-ish (Not a word, I know. I tried using ‘evil’ but he doesn’t fit the word exactly).”

Anyway, so I read through Prophet. I couldn’t help but
Michael
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story
WTF?? This story is a prequel to Struck, by Jennifer Bosworth, involving one of the novel's main characters, Rance Ridley. I have not read Struck, but I am glad he is not the narrator because I found this part of his back-story revolting. Not the writing, just what happens, what he and his father do. Pretty much every single thing. Can't really say more without spoilers, but it's so short you can read it yourself if you don't believe me!

(Warning: I have been told this story has spoilers for
Annika
Mar 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Prophet can be read for free here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/04/pr....

Meh. This is only a prequel to the book but it did not make me want to read the actual novel.

This short story gives some insight into the mind and past of the villain of Struck but I don't know why this would make Rance more understandable for me or why I should have sympathy or empathy with him when he was such a weak person (view spoiler).
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
He's still creepy lol ;)
Lisa
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I liked this little book. Can't wait for the novel((:
Danielle
Here is the link for the prequel to Struck-

Angelmira
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like it. Snippet about past.
Kay
This sucked me in from the first page and left me wanting more by the end of this short novella.

3.5 Stars
Z.
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This guy seriously gives me the creeps!
Caroline
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing I can't wait to read the book now!
Jennifer Ellision
Creepy glimpse of the terrifying villain from Struck, Prophet's past. Really well done short!
Kelsey Morrison
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome prequel to the book Struck, I wish I knew it existed before I read Struck!
Evie Hoff
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
This is a good and intriguing introduction to the story. I'm excited to read more!
Sam
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5/5

This short story was pretty good all-in-all. It is a very short story and I feel that Bosworth could have easily went a bit more into the explanation of what exactly this community was all about. Other than that, everything was explained in a sufficient, concise manner.

This story was very interesting and well-written. At first, I wasn't sure that I was interested in reading the novel, Struck, as I felt that this story was good enough on its own and I didn't know if I wanted to read an
Fry
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, dystopian
Read this and more at Romancing the Laser Pistol.

This was another prequel in the Fierce Reads anthology I picked up in order to read the Grisha short. It's compellingly written. I fell in love with Jennifer Bosworth's writing and immediately picked up Struck, the novel set in the same universe that this story is supposed to be a teaser for.

This story is a bit too cultish and preachy, it is meant to be that way. After reading Struck, this story really gave a sense of how Rance Ridley came to be
 Alli
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I have not read the book that this is the prequel for, but after reading this short story I'm not sure that I will either.

The story felt very one dimensional.
You could tell that there was some kind of emotion that was to come across but it never made it - therefore it left me feeling flat. Perhaps it needs to be a little longer for more character development and connection, I understand that this is supposed to be an insight to one of the main characters of the book but perhaps it should have
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
.5 Stars if possible.

“God has chosen me, Rance Ridley, to be your one true prophet.”

Um, I'm not even sure what to say. I was attracted by the cover. And that was pretty much it.

Deeply religious stuff. Not my kind of thing. And kind of weak plotting. It was a little interesting but not enough to save it for me unfortunately. this actually just rectified and clarified my desire not to read this series even stronger

However if the rest of the Struck series is like this, I'm going to pass.

Just not
Amelia
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not awful but thirty-two pages is far too short. There wasn't space for any real kind of world building or character development. I didn't ever feel any connection to the characters (how can you feel connected to someone you only met a few paragraphs ago?) so I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that happened. This is the downfall of many a too-short story.

We get no sense of whether this series is intending to condemn extremism or whether actually the author is down with the fundies.
Saniya
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this sequel.
First of all, I love the cover.
Secondly, I know, Rance should have taken the blame and should have done something about Olivia, but in the end you just cannot judge a person. He had fears, he was actually weak and we knew his intentions that he wanted to do something about it. But we was just 13 so cut some slack people. Its really complicated. And lastly, I was happy when he tried to save Olivia and you know, the end.
#reviewed-by-someone-who-hasn't-read-struck-yet.
The Un-Martha
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
So... apparently this is the back story of the villain in the Struck series by Jennifer Bosworth... creepy cult leader back story that ends with son taking over for dear old dad... fanatical religious overtones and abusive behaviors... ok. yeah, but what do you think a back story on crazy cult leader would be without those elements? yep, exactly... I'm intrigued enough to give the series a go knowing this is the villains' story and there is a lot more to come.
Gabrielle Carolina
Apr 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
It was okay, but I'm hoping Struck will be told in first person as I felt a perpetual distance from the characters, setting and plot of this short story.

Reading this makes me wary of picking up Struck though, because as much as I love reading books where religion and false-prophets are challenged, I'm not sure I'm thrilled at all that this religion, set in a sort of post-apocolyptic sci-fi/magical realism world, appears to be based in modern Christianity.
Elibean
Dec 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: simply-dreadful
What the heck did I just read?

...

This über short ebook prequel came with Struck (<--also a mind numbingly awful book.) Im not entirely sure who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would allow this book to be published. Literally so peeved at so many things, so insyead of ranting ill just say i will never read anything from this author or publisher again. Grrr.
Morgan
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Daphne
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd glanced at this story when it first got posted on Tor.com. Sets up an interesting background story for a character that I didn't have any associations with, but after reading the first chapter of Struck, adds a bit of depth to the mysterious Prophet. A good companion to the main series, as far as I can tell, but not an outstanding short piece on its own.
Pato
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
So its a quick read....and its shorter than what it seems....I know this is a prequel.....and I would probably would enjoy this short story more if I had actually already read the book...which I'm looking forward to doing after seing how this ended....at the moment it was about to start the plot..and accion...but nice backstory I supposed.
Carly
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Prophet" is a short background Story to "Struck" by Jennifer Bosworth.
I think it is a nice teaser for the mainstory and it is very interessing to see how Rance became the Prophet.
Also the cover is very pretty!
Susan Halley
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this book first, and then Jennifer Bosworth's book, STRUCK, will leave you truly struck by the wonderful writing and depth of the characters. She tackled a difficult topic with ease, carefully crafted a chilling future world,and made me want to read even more.

• The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
  • Legacy Lost (The Syrena Legacy, #0.5)
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • The Stranger (The Syrena Legacy, #0.4)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
  • Of Neptune (The Syrena Legacy, #3)
  • The Wicked House of Rohan (The House of Rohan, #0.5)
  • Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
  • The Ladybird Book of The Big Night Out
  • Girls Day Out (The Syrena Legacy, #2.5)
  • Sinful (Sinful Surrender Quartet, #1)
  • Lord Blackwood's Valentine Ball: An Authentic Regency Romance
  • Owning Arabella
  • Animal ABC
  • Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1)
  • Animal 123
Author and screenwriter, Jennifer Bosworth, grew up in a small town where there was nothing to do but read and get into trouble. She did plenty of both, which led her to a career writing about people who get into trouble. Jennifer and her husband recently escaped from Los Angeles and are now hiding out in Portland, Oregon with a couple of long-legged dogs. In her spare time she can be found ...more

Struck (1 books)