Start by marking “Night Things” as Want to Read:
Night Things

Night Things

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
WELCOME TO LAKE HOUSE...

A sprawling Adirondack "great camp" with 160 rooms, each carpeted in evil and painted with human blood.

ENTER IF YOU DARE...

Explore the miles of dark, twisting hallways, reeking with the stench of death. Journey through a bizarre labyrinth into chambers of unearthly proportions, up creaking stairways leading nowhere. But never...never...venture into
Published July 1st 1988 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Night Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Things

mark monday
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrortime
a nerdy 12-year-old and his parents move into a bizarre mansion in the Adirondacks. he makes a new friend: a shadowy darkness in the shape of a man. unpleasant adventures ensue. key phrase: honey trap - except the bait is not a lovely lass or strapping lad, it is the house itself. but who is this trap for exactly?

stories about strange houses are the best! really I think they are my favorite sort of horror novel (or gothic novel. or, in the case of Bellefleur, literary novel). I should make a she
Char
Lake House is like some dark amalgamation of the Winchester House and Hill House. The angles are all off, there seems to be more room on the inside than the outside indicates, and Lake House has its own dark history. Unfortunately, most of the family staying over the summer are not aware of it.

I won't delve into the story description too much, since the synopsis already does that. I will say that I thought this was an extremely well written, fast paced story. It doesn't have the literary impact
Evans Light
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book had quite a different feel than most horror that I've read. The prose was clean and clear, with simultaneous childlike simplicity and literary sophistication - hard to explain.
With only a few restrained sexual references and limited violence contained within its pages, I think this could easily be a book early teens would enjoy.
The author was quite adept at skipping around various characters POVs in third person omniscient. The only confusion I experienced was at the beginning at the
Horace Derwent
Mar 28, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could built a fucking time machine to send me back to the era of late 70's 'til late 80's(in America of course) just for some awesome horror paperbacks

I had no other choice so I had to buy this expensive reissue by Valancourt Books

I'm really a stubborn motherfucker with a hard ass to crack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I ever punish you for dreaming? Did I ever lock you in your own cocoon which you'd woven by yourself?

I gave you my soul and you left me dying...My paralyzed heart is bleeding like
Jon Recluse
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Mixing the mad geometry of Winchester House with the madder mythologies of the pre-biblical Lost Book of Enoch, Talbot creates a fast paced, creepy haunted house tale that is a prime example of the best of 80s style weirdness.

Nancy Oakes
I just can't help myself -- I seriously cannot resist a good haunted house story. I have no clue why, it just is what it is. Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House is at the top of my list, followed by Nazareth Hill by Ramsey Campbell, with many, many more books lining up after these two. For me, it's all about the atmosphere, the creepiness, and the surprises that the characters discover inside, all of which are part and parcel of Night Things, which has the added bonus of an eerie, bizar ...more
A.R.
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book may start out slow--though not boring; Talbot isn't capable of that--but where it takes you is incomprehensible and unable to be conjured up in your imagination. Plenty of creepy moments, too. Stay with it!

RIP Michael Talbot, who died in 1992 at 38. Leukemia.
Nate
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Things is a perfect summer read. I loved Talbot's clinical, scientific prose. His characterization of Garret, the 11 year-old boy, was brilliant. Excellent prose, and the storyline and plot mechanisms represent vintage 80's horror in all the right ways. The exploration of the supernatural coupled with the real-life issues experienced by the characters, especially Garret, make for an irresistible, suspenseful haunted house/summer vacation read. Highly recommended to all.
Peter
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A real classic with reference to Lovecraft! I love the story around Lakehouse and its role to keep the evil out. Fantastic showdown in the end. What a mysterious character of June. This pageturner is an absolute recommendation who's in for a thrilling horror story!
Bibliophile
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
As all fictional female reporters, Laurie is a terrible one who sleeps with her interviewee, "a famous recording star", right after the interview and then marries him despite her 11-year old son's misgivings. Blinded by his smooth hairless chest and superior lovemaking skills, she blissfully agrees to spend some time in his rented Adirondacks mansion full of horrors. Unlike his wanton mother and egomaniac stepfather, the kid is very sympatico. He's a science nerd but also into extraterrestrials, ...more
David Halpin
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a real struggle to get through and if it wasn't for my curiosity to discover if Talbot had included some of views on quantum physics I would have given up.

For those who approach the novel with similar questions I would say that there is nothing here that builds upon The Holographic Universe. There is a mention of sacred geometry and the idea of dimensions but the story itself is largely devoid of these aspects.

I felt that there were some connections to House of Leaves in terms of the ho
David Baltzer
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I think that Michael Talbot should have stuck with writing non-fiction. The Holographic Universe was quite interesting. Night Things is so bad that it is laughable in parts. Satan as portrayed in South Park is more frightening than anything in this book. Or the big bad wolf in the story of the three little pigs. The premise was good but where he went with it was even less than campy. And that artwork on the cover....he could have set the story in England and called it Yorkshire Terror because it ...more
Donna Girouard
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Perhaps because I'm still haunted by my childhood home, I like books in which the house itself is a character. Even though, in this book, it's probably those "Night Things" that inhabit the house, the house seems to have a personality, so it's still pretty cool. You know, a house with a portal...and all that good stuff.
Adele Boynton
Apr 13, 2009
Linda Payne
Jan 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Valancourt Books: Night Things (1988) by Michael Talbot 14 22 Feb 07, 2015 01:08PM
Michael Talbot was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1953. As a young man, he moved to New York City, where he pursued a career as a freelance writer, publishing articles in Omni, The Village Voice, and others, often exploring the confluence between science and the spiritual.

Talbot published his first novel, The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life as an Avon paperback original in 1982
More about Michael Talbot...