Start by marking “Natural Evil (Elder Races, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Natural Evil (Elder Races, #4.5)

Natural Evil

(Elder Races #4.5)

"Attempted Murder. Passion. Betrayal. It s a dog-eat-dog world. "

A Novella of the Elder Races

Claudia Hunter is on a road trip through the Nevada desert when she sees the body of a dog on the side of the highway. Pulling over to investigate, she quickly determines that the enormous animal is clinging to life. While working to save him with the help of the local vet, Claudia
Published March 20th 2012 by Samhain Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Natural Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Evil

Sophia Triad
Luis and Claudia

Claudia is a tough retired special forces. On her way to Nevada, she discovers by the road a big, scary dog almost dead. She decides to help the poor animal and she finds a vet in the nearest town. Almost straight away she has understand that the dog is more than a dog.
Luis is a Wyr and his alternative form is dog. It takes a while for him to trust Claudia and reveal his human form.

I liked Jackson the vet. I loved the age difference betwen Claudia and Luis (almost 15 years). I
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Better than the previous short story from this series, but nothing to jabber on about. Although, I'd be happy to have the 6'6, 230 lbs of muscle, 27 yr old, black hair, olive skinned hunk from the book convalesce in my house. Really, no trouble.
Jen Davis
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elder-races
3.5 Stars
It feels like the Elder Races series has taken a detour from the Wyr in recent books, but Thea Harrison brings back her sexy shapeshifters with this latest novella. Our hero is Luis, a 20-something Wyr whose alternative shape is a large dog. Our heroine, Claudia, finds him in animal form on the side of the road, nearly dead. Someone had shot him, dragged him, and beaten him, but he still managed to cling to life. Claudia rescues him, bringing him to a local vet for healing.

Claudia is 40
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it

This novella isn’t quite like Ms. Harrison’s other works. It’s a bit slower, a bit different, and has a bit less dialogue.

As a former major in the Special Forces, Claudia is prepared for anything. Today that means helping a near-dead dog in the middle of the road get into the back of her car in the middle of nowhere Nevada. Her competency and training help her keep her cool when she thinks this dog may be wyr, and when she realizes he wasn’t hit, rather h
Stacie
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This was good. I liked both Claudia and Luis, but the ending wasn't quite satisfying. Oh well, on to the next one soon. Happy reading!
Kelly
2/14/15 reread: I'm really REALLY digging seeing characters who have to work for their HEA. These two fit the bill. Mostly because Claudia is fighting her attraction. I like their dynamic.

2012:
Disclaimer for those that haven't heard me rave about Thea Harrison and her outstanding Elder Races series before: I am MADLY in love with this world. Madly. I have no problem whatsoever finishing up one of these books and then flipping back to the first page and starting all over again. Seriously, I am sh
SheLove2Read
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
“She had maybe 8 inches of space to work with. That was more than enough. She struck back with her elbow and hit Junior's midsection. Junior coughed out all his breath and crumpled to the ground. He had no air in his lungs with which to speak. His bulging gaze was astonished. It asked her, "What the fuck?
So she answered his question. She showed him what the fuck. She kicked him in the chest, using her foot to leverage his body weight. The blow lifted him off the ground and slammed him back into
Keri
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. Wish it would have been longer. I loved Claudia. She was unique in the fact that she was an older woman who had been in the service. She was a quick thinker and extremely deadly when cornered. Luii was fun too. If I had a beef it was that this felt more like a teaser of what was to come. I think that Claudia is going to be asked to fill a roll for Dragos. Could be wrong, but we shall see. It was left open, so we are going to see more of these two I bet.
aarya
2019 Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo: Tarot

I’m so disappointed. I was enjoying the hell out of this but then it just ended without a proper resolution to the romantic arc. It felt like we only got half of the romantic story and it ended before they got their earned HEA. Gah. I loved so much of what was on page, but what an unsatisfying ending!
Lulu
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I confess I love Thea Harrison's Elder Races series. She's an excellent writer who has built a really compelling world involving the shape-shifting wyr, fae, vampires, and all sort of other creatures that inhabit an alternate world in the present day. This novella is not really the best example of her work and doesn't add much to the series overall, but is still entertaining.

40 year old retired Special Forces soldier Claudia Hunter is driving along a deserted stretch of highway in Nevada when sh
Ferdy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Spoilers

An Elder Races novella about two new characters - human Claudia and wyr Luis. The plot wasn't all that interesting - Claudia rescues a dog from death, the dog turns out to be Luis and then they both investigate what happened. Claudia was a decent enough character - she was smart, experienced and capable. She made a change from the usual immature, naive heroines who constantly need rescuing and comforting. I really liked that Claudia could take of herself and that she didn't lose all her
Saly
This book was too short & the romance didn't seem complete at the end. There is still the age gap, she is 40, he's 27 and she isn't comfortable with that, also the fact that she had surgery so she can't have kids. There was no mating, nothing, the hero just decides to go with her, till she is comfortable with him.

The suspense was okay too, I liked that the heroine was kick-ass, former special forces.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4.5/5; 5 stars; A

In this second novella, the Tarot cards from Elder Races 3.5 have made their way to another person who is destined to meet her mate. Claudia rescues what she thinks is an injured dog and it turns out he's a Wyr in trouble. This was a good short action filled story. It had a different flavor from the first novella.
ShoSho
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm loving these novellas more than the novels in the series! I only wish the ending was a bit better.
And something interesting that you don't see often in romance books , heroine is 40 and the hero is 27 . She is also kick-ass and saves the hero's life and eventually the day without any help from the hero.
Mareli
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only bad thing about this short story was that it was too short!

I loved every page and I felt sad when it ended. CLaudia is my kind of woman, strong, bad and self-reliant. I love when women are good for themselves, there is no need for a protector and every need for a lover. So I hope to meet them again in the future!
Angela James
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital-first
I'm a big fan of Thea Harrison's writing, so I was definitely looking forward to reading this novella. The novella started out strong for me, and I liked both the setup up of the story and the heroine. I thought the author did a great job of developing her in a short time period. I was very intrigued by both the role of the tarot cards and the conflict that she set up with both the mine and in the romance, with the hero Luis.

Unfortunately, when I reached the end of the book, I actually wondered
Melindeeloo
I've really enjoyed all of Harrison's Elder Races stories. Her shorts have a slightly different feel than the longer books, but I still like them. This time around the pairing is a human former special ops soldier who has a spark of power and a wounded Wyr canine shifter - the cool thing about the story is that the capable warrior is a woman.

I really liked that the heroine is a competant warrior and that the alpha hero has strategic smarts too - he lays his plans carefully when in pursuit of the
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
**3.5 stars**

Claudia is driving through the deserts of Nevada when she comes upon an injured dog in the road which of course, she stops to help. Lucky for her ~ and the dog, she has a bit of magic and is able to determine that the dog is a Wyr and takes him to get help.

As with most short stories, that is the main problem ~ they are too short. But I really liked the angle that TH took with Claudia and Luis with the age difference. The whole villain aspect was good to especially with dealing with
Thenia
A short story set in the Elder Races world, featuring Claudia, gifted with a weak telekinesis talent and ex-military who is looking for her place in the world after the army, and Luis, a shapeshifter she finds almost dead by the side of the road in his animal form.

A serious story with an unusual couple with a big age difference, despite which they fit quite well.

The series continues with another short story, Devil's Gate.
Holly
I really liked the heroine of this novel. She's ex-special forces and suffering from - I think - a bit of PTSD. She's on her own and prefers it that way. I really liked how practical she was. And how kickass. The plot was engaging and kept me interested and I enjoyed the other characters.

My only complaint is the end. It came about rather abruptly and I didn't really feel like everything was resolved. I think Harrison meant to leave it that way, but I was left unsatisfied.
Beth
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reading
I really liked this short story -- an interesting view into this world works on a less OMG we're all gonna die scale. :) The main character was well developed & unique. How many near 40, ex-special forces women are running around as a romance heroine?
The plot was short & simple but interesting all the same. I would definately like to see these characters again.
E_bookpushers
This review originally posted at: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/03/20/...

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: Out today
How we got this book: ARC from the publisher

Attempted Murder. Passion. Betrayal. It’s a dog-eat-dog world.
Cheesecake
Luis and Claudia.
Well that was disappointing romance-wise. Story-wise it was good and the characters were interesting. Hence the 3 stars.
I don't normally go for 'younger man' stories, but if anyone could make it alluring to me, it would be Thea Harrison. But somehow it wasn't, even though I liked both MCs.
Claudia is driving aimlessly through the desert. She's 40ish and recently quit the army (Special Forces). So she's one tough hombre. She comes across an enormous dog left dying by the side of
Nicole
Joint review with E originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/03/20/...

E: We here at The Book Pushers continue to be mad Thea Harrison fans so when we found out that we had not one but two new stories from her this month much dancing ensued. While I liked the two main characters and thought the overall storyline was interesting, the romance between them didn’t really work for me. The change in setting to the desert and from major power players/serial killers to a different level of
Sandy S
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
NATURAL EVIL by Thea Harrison

NATURAL EVIL is the latest ebook release in Thea Harrison’s Elder Race series. Like True Colors, Natural Evil departs from Thea’s Elder Race Wyr storylines to focus on Luis, a 27 year old shapeshifter and Claudia a 40 year old woman with some telekinetic powers. Although Thea never does reveal the source of the heroine’s powers, it appears that she may have some psychic ability as well.

Claudia is a retired major in the Specials Forces, on her way to Vegas. Although s
AH
3.5 stars.

We get yet another peek into Thea Harrison’s Elder Races world in Natural Evil. Natural Evil is a short novella, about 80 pages long. This novella focuses on Claudia Hunter and a very large dog named Precious…

Claudia is a difficult heroine to relate to. Ex-military, she is rather understated and seems to be aloof. Claudia does like animals and when she spots a large dog on an abandoned stretch of highway in Nevada, she stops and picks him up and heads for the nearest vet. The dog is he
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)

**UTC has a Giveaway for this book until March 27th**

Reviewed also posted at Under The Covers Book Blog

Thea Harrison has done it again! The Drool Worthy cover of this book is true to its promise of a hot hero! Ms. Harrison definitely did just that, delivered us another sexy hero and a kick ass heroine to add to the Elder Races world.

Claudia Hunter, a retired Special Forces Major, accidentally found a beaten, barely alive dog in the middle of the dessert. With her compassion, Claudia is determine
Lisa Roquin
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved Claudia. *Finally* a kick ass heroine that isn't Buffy-style split personality slightly unhinged worrying about her damned shoes or designer skirt. She's a soldier, a competent, rational, has her shit together and can kick ass with a cool head soldier. Luis is younger, actually acts it in a couple places, a bit jaded and more than a bit cocky in his personal life by the hints given, but a good Agent, and is just all around a great hero. They fit together great, there's no extreme suspens ...more
Sheila Melo
Novella Felt Unfinished to Me

THE STORY: Claudia Hunter stops when she notices a large dog injured on a desert road. She stops to save it but discovers that it is not a dog but a Wyr. Saving Luis Alvaraz puts Claudia in the middle of dangerous events when they are trapped in a town where it appears that so many are out to finish the job against Luis.

OPINION: There is so much to like here. Claudia is a serious dangerous woman herself. Ex-military, she knows how to take care of herself and the inju
PepperP0t
This short is a departure from the last couple of series entries with a glimpse at actual Wyr life. Claudia Hunter, a forty-something ex Special Forces Major with a slight power of telekinesis stops when she sees what looks like a nearly dead large dog on the side of a darkened desert road. It turn out to be Luis, a Wyr who takes the form of a large dog that has been beaten, shot, hung, drug for miles and left for dead. The corrupt leaders of this small town outside her proposed camp site try to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Demon Bait (Children of the Undying, #0.5)
  • Dragon on Top (Dragon Kin, #0.4)
  • Midnight (Dark Age Dawning, #2)
  • Chosen by Sin (Para-Ops, #3)
  • Supernatural (Lords of Deliverance, #1.5; Demonica, #6.5; Guardians of Eternity, #7.6; Nightwalkers, #1.5; Dragon Kin, #0.4)
  • Howl For It (Pride, #0.5)
  • Beneath the Skin (de La Vega Cats, #3)
  • Frozen
  • Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)
  • Bound by Vengeance (Sentinel Wars, #5.5)
  • Kiljorn Prime (Katieran Prime, #4)
  • Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instinct World, #1)
  • Hearts of Darkness (Deadglass, #1)
  • Chased by Moonlight (Moonlight, #2)
I write paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and other stuff. I taught myself to read when I was four. That was around the time I tried to ride my tricycle to work. I wasn't sure where work was, but I knew it had to be interesting if people went there every day. Now I combine my love of books with work, and I don't have to ride my tricycle to get there. My Elder Races series began May, 2011. You can ...more

Elder Races (9 books)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • Storm's Heart (Elder Races, #2)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3)
  • Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4)
  • Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5)
  • Kinked (Elder Races, #6)
  • Night's Honor (Elder Races, #7)
  • Midnight's Kiss (Elder Races, #8)
  • Shadow's End (Elder Races, #9)
“Claudia. Was. Driving. Luis. Bat shit.” 4 likes
“Death was a thief that always wore a mask. Accident, disease, stillbirths, old age, natural causes, war, murder. It existed in the shivering silence between tolls of a bell. It stole everything away while it left its mark, a dark knowledge that lingered at the back of smiling eyes, a hesitation between thought and action in times of danger, a heaviness that tunneled wormholes into happy memories.” 1 likes