Start by marking “ Kutter” as Want to Read:
 Kutter

Kutter

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  285 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Charlie Stanlon is a serial killer. A ghastly, vicious sociopath who chains women to a table in his basement and tortures them to death. He has no friends. He has no family. He despises his co-workers. His only pleasure in life is to cause pain and terror.

Until the day he finds an adorable Boston Terrier and takes it home...
Hardcover, signed limited to 85 numbered copies, 121 pages
Published 2010 by Cargo Cult Press

To ask other readers questions about Kutter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kutter

Dan Schwent
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
While on a hunt, serial killer Charlie finds an injured dog in the park, brings him home, and names him Kutter. Hilarity ensues and Charlie's life is changed forever.

This is the twenty-fifth book in my Kindle Unlimited Experiment. For the 30 day trial, I'm only reading books that are part of the program and keeping track what the total cost of the books would have been.

One of the benefits of this somewhat misguided KU experiment of mine is that I get to try a lot of authors for free. Jeff Strand
11811 (Eleven)
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5* I have to keep rearranging my top three Strand books because he keeps writing more of them. It's very frustrating.

I loved this story about a serial killer and his dog. I sympathized with the evil bastard. I imagine it's no easy task to write a villainous character who your readers will end up liking or feeling sorry for.

Something about the tone of the story reminded me of Dweller. I'm not sure exactly what it was but if you read Dweller and didn't cry at the end then you have no soul.

I dig
Char
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was in the mood for novellas yesterday, so I decided to read this one as it came to me highly recommended. I loved it!

Any fans of Jeff Strand already know about his black humor and this book was no exception. Take a cold serial killer that loves to torture women, put him together with a stray, injured dog and hilarity ensues. Only Jeff Strand could have you pulling for the serial killer by the end. That's what makes him so special. Highly recommended to fans of black humor!
Tressa
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy black humor horror.
I had insomnia last night and got my Kindle out to read this book. It's novella length, just long enough for me to finish the book and get drowsy. I enjoyed every minute of this story about a cold-hearted, methodical serial killer who rescues a Boston Terrier and slowly morphs into an empathetic human being who brushes up his social skills and attempts to live a normal life. The ending is perfect. I love the way Jeff Strand combines the humor and gruesome in his books. I look forward to everythi ...more
Glen Krisch
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is it possible to feel sympathy for a serial killer? It's a tough thing to pull off, but Strand succeeds in this sharp little novella.
Jason Parent
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a protagonist I can identify with. I mean... wait.... uh...

Well, if I'm being serious, I kinda did. Loved this book. Humorous and touching. And I loved Kutter.... I miss my dog.

O stars for my review, but 5 Big Ole Stars of Fun for this novella.
Hollie
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the only writer I know that could possibly pull off making a.serial killer feel relateable. I liked this book for the most part but it seemed to be missing Strands notorious humor. It still made for a.unique and one of a kind read and I appreciate it being offered as a kindleunlimited.
Autumn Is Azathoth
Review of KUTTER by Jeff Strand

The very best factor in this book is the character evolution. The next best factor is the delightful dogs (yes, all of them, even the meanies). Those two factors alone would satisfy me. But author Jeff Strand, who thoroughly knows what he's about before he sets to the keyboard, additionally gives us a wonderful story which leavens serious horror with humor, empathy, suspense, and a neat turning-of-tables as the protagonist (initally an unfeeling, almost robotic, in
Justin
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Classic Jeff strand. This one had a perfect balance between dark humor and horror, at least in my opinion it did, it was a little lighter on the humor than most of his work. This is the story of how a cold blooded heartless serial killer falls in love with a cute little puppy and it changes his entire life, I would suspect something like this from Jeff strand would be more humor but the topic is taken seriously and is well written, as is all his work.
David Church
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jeff Strand is such an amazing writer. Anyone that could take a story about a serial killer & insert a stray dog to twist this story into an emotional adventurous heart warming story is a phenomenal writer!
John
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4 stars
Story - 4 stars
Narration - 4.5 stars

Robert Mingee
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
OK, disclaimer time. I love Jeff Strand's work, and I love Boston terriers. We had one we picked up as a stray when I was a kid (that was going to stay in the garage JUST ONE NIGHT to be out of the rain, and lived with us many years after that :-), and we now have the second rescue that my wife and I have had together, who is the sweetest bundle of neuroses imaginable.

And man, did he nail the personality of the breed, spot on. Only a Boston terrier could rehabilitate a serial killer like Charlie
Sumit Singla
Wow, Jeff Strand can certainly make you go 'awww' for a serial killer. Charlie seems to be a classic sociopath, and a serial killer. (Think Dexter, without the coolness quotient and the wicked sense of humour)

However, his life changes when he inadvertently ends up rescuing a dog he eventually gets round to calling 'Kutter'.

Short book, and not too much of character development. But Strand tells his story cleverly and manages to keep you hooked through the story.
WendyB
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Not my favorite Strand story... seemed mostly pointless and without the twisted humor his stories usually have.
Pamellia
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of horror with humor throughout
Recommended to Pamellia by: Char
***SPOILER ALERT****
This is a sweet little story that could be a study of how sociopath/serial killers are formed by their environment and not by DNA. Who would have thought That simply saving a lost, cold, injured little cute dog would change a serial killer, who had tortured women for days in his basement prior to killing them.

At first I felt the story was a bit far fetched. However, after re-thinking, I realized that the story is more believable than what I had originally thought. I wish I h
Jenni DaVinCat
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
At no point in my life did I ever think that I would root for a character in a book as vile as Charlie. He's a serial killer who targets women to torture and murder! If anything, I should hate him, and at first I did. As the story progressed, I found myself being more tolerant of his actions, all due to his care and affection for a little Boston terrier that he happens to find under a park bench one night and decides to keep. Most of us have a soft spot when it comes to loving an animal, right?

C
blasphemy: 1
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

A novella that reads very, very quickly. I suppose it has too many chapters to be a short story though. This book was cute, but so totally implausible I couldn't get behind the protagonist. At the beginning of the book, he's a serial killer who also has Asperger's, though he's highly functional. Then he finds a hurt puppy, nurses him back to health and in the process learns
Brandon Petry
I enjoyed the dark humor and audacity of Jeff Strand's Kutter but couldn't help feeling it would have been better as a longish short story. Don't get me wrong, I read it in one sitting and enjoyed myself but I felt it peaked when (view spoiler) That scene was so suspenseful and brilliantly executed it made the rest of the (still good) ending seem a bit anticlimactic. But you hav ...more
Matthew
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Serial killer Charlie lives for one thing in life: to get a woman down in his basement so he can end her life. This all changes when he stumbles on a starving, freezing, injured Boston Terrier and decides to take it home on the off chance of a reward. The story becomes touching as they spend more time together and the changes Charlie goes through because of it.

Highly recommended!
Kenneth Skaldebø
Jeff Strand is quickly becoming my go to author when i need a dose of dark humor! not every writer can make people sympathetic for a serial killer, but he pulls it off. And shows how any person can be better with a dog in their life.
Patricia Kaniasty
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic story by Strand. Creepy and yet sweet at the same time. Loved the dog. His personality reminded me of my mom's dog. Would have liked the story to be a little longer.......but, oh well.
Sue Hawco
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will begin this book and your stomach will knot as you get to know the Kutter. Could you ever think you might feel badly for a killer...........................maybe a little? Great book.
TAMMY L. BYRNE
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sooo good!

I love jeff Strand books! Who else could make you feel sorry for a serial killer. ThiS is a story of redemption by dog. You'll love it!
Shadow Girl
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KUTTER tells us the story about a ghastly, vicious sociopath named Charlie Stanlon. During the day, Charlie is the quiet guy that keeps to himself in the cubicle down the isle from you. He doesn’t want to chit-chat with you, or gossip at the water cooler. He despises you. He just does his job, and goes home.
Going home is what Charlie looks forward to. Because, at home, in his basement, there’s a woman chained to a table – waiting for the torture to continue. He likes to go slowly, make the best
Kari Dennis
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming gore...

This book has murder and torture from a serial killer with no remorse..and then slowly changes. Walking through the park he finds an injured dog, he first ignores it, then takes it home in case there's a reward for its return ( it's a pure bred Boston terrier). At first stern, he gets annoyed with some things the dog does, then each time reasons that it's not really the dogs fault. As he becomes attached to the dog he becomes less interested in murder. At one point he has a b
J.D.
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This would have been a four star review, but the ending ruined it for me. It was totally unnecessary though I am sure many people cheered about that last little bit. To me it was the worst way for the novella to have ended. And while I thought the little twist that brought about the climax was a nice touch, it was too rushed to have much impact. Kutter would have been served well if the author had given at least 10 more pages to really round it out... and if he had come up with a different endin ...more
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has two of my favorite things; dogs and a great horror story.

Charlie is anti-social. He's not good looking, he hates his co-workers (well, maybe not Alicia), has no friends, and his only joy in life is tv and murdering women in his basement. Until he finds an injured little "clown-face" dog in the park. Reward money and curiosity are his initial reasons for taking the dog home, but Charlie soon finds that a dog will love you no matter what.

Will Kutter the Boston Terrier change this ser
Letitia
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was a great read.
I love the way that the author makes you feel great compassion for such a despicable character. I really wanted things to work out for Charlie and Kutter!
Kutter made me laugh and made me cry and I'll definitely read it again.
Highly recommended. It's one I'll never forget.
Becky
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Kutter

I finally got around to reading this story and am so glad I did. Jeff does not disappoint. This was yet another of his books that I had difficulty putting down. Now, once again, I will go through the struggle of being able to read any other horror book. (Which tends to happen whenever I read one of Jeff's books). Oh Jeff, you spoil me so.
Vince
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Strand is on he's awesome. Great characterization, very well written, always enjoyable. I'm not sure how to describe the premise other than to say, how can a cute Boston Terrier change an unrepentant serial killer? Upon the first look, the premise may sound kinda lame but in Strand's capable hands it ends up being a great read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Janus Legacy
  • Ugly As Sin
  • Beyond the Door
  • The Hoard
Author of a bunch of demented books, including PRESSURE, DWELLER, A BAD DAY FOR VOODOO, WOLF HUNT, SINGLE WHITE PSYCHOPATH SEEKS SAME, BENJAMIN'S PARASITE, FANGBOY, THE SINISTER MR. CORPSE, and lots of others. Four-time Bram Stoker Award finalist. Four-time Bram Stoker Award loser. Ten-time Bram Stoker Award Master of Ceremonies.