Start by marking “Learn Ruby the Hard Way” as Want to Read:
Learn Ruby the Hard Way

Learn Ruby the Hard Way

Do you really want to learn programming but have no skill? Are you a system administrator who wants to learn Puppet or Chef? Are you a designer who wants to build your own websites? Are you a Ruby on Rails programmer who's ashamed that you don't really know Ruby? Then you should read this book. It assumes absolutely no prior programming knowledge and will guide you careful ...more
ebook, 2.0, 173 pages
Published December 11th 2011 by Self (first published November 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Learn Ruby the Hard Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn Ruby the Hard Way

Start your review of Learn Ruby the Hard Way
Aaron Wolfson
Jul 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Dude! There are plenty of resources for learning to code out there, and learning Ruby in particular, that don't involve the instructor constantly belittling you. Look elsewhere.
Katherine
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
There are very ugly examples given. With poor fundamentals, a beginner can be misled that those are preferred ways. I discourage anyone from reading this. It's the hard way and ugly way too.
Cynthia
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-programming
This Ruby tutorial is great for those who are new to programming. True to it title, it is difficult yet effective. It teaches the very basics of learning to program which is essentially, trial and error. I suggest this book for anyone looking to learning how to program outside of a browser.

Codecademy is a good resource. It is a great way to get acclimated to the syntax of a programming. However, eventually the student will want to take the "training wheels off" and work in an actual web dev env
Mfaughn
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
A quote from the book: 'Avoid something called "meta-programming" at all costs, as it is too complex to be useful reliably.' This is an unforgivable statement. So much so that it taints the entire book, at least IMO. ActiveRecord, the default ORM behind Rails, leverages meta-programming. Is Rails not reliably useful? Understanding meta-programming will make you a better Rubyist. It is not something to be feared or avoided.
Cees
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Complete programming newbies who want to learn object-oriented programming.
Exercise is needed to get into shape, but as an experienced programmer i already like the shape i'm in.

Ruby's many and thus sometimes inconsistent styles irk me, as do sigils, but this book did show me that Ruby classes are much easier than Python ones, and had a nice list of explained symbols in Exercise 37. It's also refreshingly succinct.
Harlen
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a great introduction to Ruby. I have to learn it for work and this book gave me the basics up to unit testing in a quick and digestible format.

Not sure how good it would be for people new to programming but as someone who knows Python and C++ pretty well this book was great.
Mohammed Ridwanul Islam
If you are a programmer already (I come from a heavy Java background) this book will decode some of the magic of functional programming and Ruby.
But it is definitely not "the hard way" lol. You can finish the book in a day and a half. I recommend just giving it a quick scan.
Ravi Sinha
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coding, professional
When I read it the author still seems to have been working on completing it; half the chapters were missing; but it's still a great read and opens up possibilities to a lot of further reading. I like the style of the Learn Code the Hard Way books - they are direct and straightforward, with less talk and small chunks of code, followed by extra credit/ homework - and sometimes, that's just the kind of book you need.
Eric Brooke
A most excellent introduction to Ruby. Teaches the real basics in a way that you are not likely to forget. It assumes nothing, i.e. you have never coded or setup you computer or anything. It layers the knowledge and experience layer by layer. It teaches Object Orientated Programming theory and how it applies to Ruby as well as an extra section on how to survive in Command Line (Unix BASH). It gives different instructions for users of Macs, Linux and Windows.
Jared Silver
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really solid introduction to Ruby, and to programming in general. I feel that Zed's emphasis on meta-learning (that is, how to think about learning how to code) makes the book far more effective than many others that focus merely on the code itself. Highly recommended for beginners and for those new to Ruby.
ΔRT
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby-ror
PRO's:
Good book. Author try to use proactive approach. Good exercises.
Learning by doing is a motto of this book. I really like it.

CON's: #very subjective though
Rspec is not covered (only Test::Unit)
Sinatra, not RoR.
Too much stuff around one quite controversial game.
Gavin
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really good introduction to programming that happens to use Ruby for the language.

Not so useful to polyglot developers looking to pick up Ruby. Also tends to veer towards Python idioms rather than those of Ruby at times.

Still, a great book for those who haven't programmed before.
Ahmed Alkatheeri
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's very good book for any one want to know how to program, and it depends on practice and giving you more exercises .. I like this way because it's useful and focus on doing things more than save things!
Tammy-elizabeth
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is great for beginner programmers and experienced programmers that want to pick up the Ruby programming language. I highly recommend it.
Julissa Dantes-castillo
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this is a great book, includes basic language syntax, humor, and 2 projects, that last thing makes you want to learn even more and discover things before you get to that part of the book.
Arturo
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice book for beginner into computer programming world.
Meathanjay
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This book would be for the very beginner if you started learning to program with Ruby language.
Hanan A.S.
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
An incredible book. I am glad I came across it on my quest to teach myself Ruby.
Recommended to all ruby/rails beginners.
John Maher
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great approach to teaching a language from scratch but also worthwhile to the seasoned programmer to go through the motions as a refresher. The whole series is fantastic.
Tasshin Fogleman
Jan 25, 2012
Josh Waggoner
Jan 05, 2019
Kartik
rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State
  • Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of the Internet
  • Build APIs You Won't Hate: Everyone and their dog wants an API, so you should probably learn how to build them.
  • Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
  • The Silmarillion
  • The Girl from Venice
  • The Grand Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Programmers are like magicians who fool everyone into thinking they are perfect and never wrong, but it’s all an act. They make mistakes all the time.” 0 likes