Start by marking “Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover” as Want to Read:
Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover

Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover

(Rabbit & Robot)

Rabbit’s carefully planned visit with Robot doesn’t work out exactly as he imagined in this offbeat tale about two comically mismatched friends.

Published September 11th 2012 by Candlewick Press

Betsy
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
It would be simpler if kids read at exact levels at all times. Wouldn't it be grand if you had a kid go strategically from easy books to early chapter books to older chapter books without so much as a glitch in the system? But as it happens the road to literacy is not this smooth varnished path off into the sunset. There are bumps, and valleys, and wobbly bits where the pavement chips off. That's why certain school systems have introduced concepts like "Levels". A kid reads at a certain level, m ...more
Deborah
Nov 30, 2012 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
"I have some data that will interest you..."
Jacoba
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover by Cece Bell (2012)
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Format: Book
Plot summary:Rabbit is excited about the sleepover he has carefully planned for his friend Robot, but Robot has some different ideas about how things should go.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): No special considerations.
Review citation (if available): Chipman, Ian. Booklist , 8/1/2012, Vol. 108 Issue 22, p78-78, 1/9p
Section sou
Betsy
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love a well done easy reader tale, and Rabbit and Robot fits the bill nicely. Spot on for age appropriate-ness (a sleepover complete with pizza, card games, a favorite TV show, and funny pajamas). Terrific friendship dynamics--I love the subtle hints that best friends don't have to like the same things. And the list!! One of my all-time favorite Frog and Toad stories is "The List"; if Rabbit and Robt were Toad and Frog in disguise, I would totally buy it. Marvelous.
Donalyn
Many funny moments in this story about an unusual friendship.
Barb Keister
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story - hope to see more Rabbit & Robot adventures. Especially loved the illustrations and special dialogue. This one can sit right next to Boy + Bot!
Colby Sharp
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is so stinking cute and super funny. My son and I crack up laughing each and every time we read this book. Brilliant.
Lorna
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Wow, Rabbit is Sheldon Cooper in bunny form! :P Cute multi-chapter reader - it would be a fun read aloud to do Robot's voice.
Shazzer
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
Just a little bit of genius. I'm a list-maker myself, so I know just how Rabbit feels. Gently funny with a great vocabulary. Kids will love this.
Markus
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun book read to my nephew this morning. Two inexplicable best friends as Robot comes over to spend the night.
Christy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Rabbit is excited: his friend Robot is coming to spend the night! Rabbit has left nothing to chance and has drawn up a list of all the things they will do. First off is making pizza, but Robot only likes nuts and bolts and screws on top (good thing he has magnetic hands). Next on the list is watching TV, but the remote is missing, and Rabbit is panicking
Mistiemae1 Downs
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Meghan Thomas
"Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover" was a very cute, comical read for young children to enjoy. I really enjoyed Robot and thought he brought a lot of humor to the story. I enjoyed when he liked nuts, bolts, and screws on his pizza and when he needed new batteries. I think children who like robots and electronics will enjoy this book due to Robot. Rabbit also was a great character and I thought it was funny when the remote was in-between his big floppy ears. The illustrations were great and really ...more
Margaret Boling
12/31/2016 ** I discovered this 2012 title when I was looking for a 2016 Nerdy winner Rabbit & Robot and Ribbit.

Rabbit learns valuable lessons about being a good friend by sharing decision making. Robot's sleepover is hysterically funny and the illustrations beautifully support the text. This book/series will be an excellent addition to my school library's collection of Early Readers.

While this is an excellent tale to simply enjoy, it could also lead to valuable conversations between paren
Ang
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: geisel-award
2013 Geisel Honor Book

This is too long for storytime.

"Rabbit is very excited. His friend Robot is coming to sleep over, and Rabbit has the whole evening planned out. He has even made a list of all the things that they are going to do. But when Robot wants nuts and bolts instead of vegetables on his pizza and wants to play Old Maid instead of Go Fish, Rabbit doesn't know what to do - those things are not on the list! This very funny book from Cece Bell shows that even though things might not go e
gina
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my son's first chapter book experience. He was so sad to see it returned to the library. He's 4 and not reading independently but this is an easy read for a parent to do with a child. The chapters are just the right length. I loved how the friends are so different but still get along. I love how they are a bit difficult at times (Rabbits inflexibility, Robot's destruction of the table) but that each friend deals with the shortcomings of the other through kindness and openness. A sweet t ...more
Tyler Jones
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-readers
Elephant and Piggy, Frog and Toad, George and Martha....The subject of friendship is a natural fit for first reader books because the age that a child learns to read is also the age when they begin understanding how friendship works. To this rich literature we can add Rabbit and Robot. Rabbit likes things a certain way and is prone to emotional outbursts, Robot is a problem solver who can go with the flow, but who can gently nudge his friend into a few compromises. Their stories are humorous, an ...more
Shari
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cece Bell is hilarious, and she brings her trademark sense of humor to this sweet book of friendship for younger readers. Reminiscent of Frog and Toad, Rabbit and Robot navigate Rabbit’s master plan for their sleepover, in spite of setbacks. I loved the message that friends can like being together even if they don’t like the same pizza toppings or games, and that a plan can be changed when a friend really needs you. The illustrations are sweet and accessible for kids, and the text is simple, but ...more
Bethany
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
This was an okay book. I could see kids enjoying the silliness of a robot and a rabbit having a sleepover. There were some parts of it that I thought were cute. I liked when robot wore rabbit’s pajamas. The illustrations were okay. A bit on the simple side. The chapters were short. It’s interesting to look at it from an older perspective, noting that the words are all sounded out instead of having contractions which children wouldn’t have learned yet.
Kolbe Bales
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rabbit, who has planned an excellent list of things to do with his friend Robot. When Robot arrives at Rabbit’s house, they begin the first thing on the list, which is ‘make pizza’. Rabbit begins to realize that Robot doesn’t like the things that Rabbit does, and begins to worry. Although somewhat of a lengthier transition book for younger students, the vocabulary is controlled and friendly, and the conflicts are resolved with entertaining and fun solutions.
Cindy Sarnowski
This is a beginning chapter book for early readers. The story explores the differences in the way we do things and what might be perceived as normal. We see the rabbit get very upset when the robot prefers different food, games and schedule for the evening, but they don't give up on their friendship.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Rabbit is excited that his friend Robot is coming over for a sleepover, but they have different ideas of what to eat and what to do. This Theodore Seuss Geisel Honor Book has short chapters with lots of pictures and not a lot of text. It's a good next step for who find most easy readers to be too easy and are becoming increasingly ready for chapter books.
Asho
I read a chapter of this easy-reader chapter book with S tonight. L listened in, too. While I think S could read some of this, it would be a pretty heavy lift for him at this point in his learning-to-read process, so tonight I just let him chill and I did the reading. All three of us were laughing about Rabbit and Robot. I think the kids appreciated my Robot voice. :-)
Pita-eater
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Rabbit makes a list of things to do when Robot comes for a sleepover. Things don't go exactly as planned, so Rabbit throws a fit. Robot reassures Rabbit that it was still a good day. I liked Cece Bell's El Deafo, so I enjoyed her illustrations in this book. Readers who enjoy the Scaredy Squirrel series will find similarities in this book.
Andrea Andrusewicz
This book was a great book. I thought it was funny and a good connection for young children. It related to children well, because they almost always want to have a sleepover with their best friend. This book was a good read and amusing for children.
Jill
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this as a kindergarten chapter book read-aloud! The illustrations were great, the 4 stories were very funny, and the class was totally engaged the whole time. Definitely on my list for next year.
Ginny Kaczmarek
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one's on our bookshelf, and my kids loved to have it read to them when they were younger. Now they're reading it on their own, and it still cracks them up. A fun easy reader with delightful characters and silly details (what does a robot like on its pizza? nuts and bolts, of course!).
Elsbeth Magilton
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mom review: this book is hilarious and fun to read aloud to the kids. With just four chapters they feel like they’re getting a grown-up chapter book, but the entire thing can pretty easily be read aloud in about 20 minutes.
Cameron Walker
I love the moral of this book. Even though you've planned something out and no matter how much you want it to work, life can always throw curveballs and you'll have to adjust. I love robot's demeanor and his friendliness.
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
BCFL Checkout (Warminster/9 books in one day per A).

Second read was me - I read to make sure it was appropriate.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Picture Book Favo...: * Great fun 3 18 Jun 11, 2013 11:21AM
James River Writers: Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover 1 3 Apr 03, 2013 08:36PM

• Penny and Her Doll
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Bink & Gollie: Two for One
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Big Mean Mike
  • My Kite Is Stuck! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • A Home for Bird
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Turn the Page
I'm an author and an illustrator, and sadly not a jazz pianist. I live in an old church in the hills of Virginia with my husband, author Tom Angleberger. I work right next door in a new-ish barn. I've written and illustrated a bunch of books for kids and was lucky enough to get a Geisel Honor for one of 'em. If you want to know more about my hearing loss or my childhood (or both), check out my fir ...more

Rabbit & Robot (2 books)