Start by marking “Hidden (Avena, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden (Avena, #1)

Hidden (Avena #1)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  1,678 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
For as long as Ebony can remember, she's been sheltered. Confined to her home in a secluded valley, home-schooled by her protective parents, and limited to a small circle of close friends. It's as if she's being hidden. But something is changing in Ebony. Something that can't be concealed. She's growing more beautiful by the day, she's freakishly strong, and then there's t ...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Hidden, please sign up.

María
Marianne Curley is coming back in 2013. I care for little else right now.

EDIT 18/07/2012:
And we have the book cover, YAY! It's not what I expected, but it's white and pretty and I'm so excited.

EDIT 25/11/2012:
I found out the new cover for the UK paperback a.k.a the edition that I've pre-ordered from bookdepository a few days ago, and I thought I should let you know.
This one is so much yummy! And leaves me more excited than before.

REVIEW
Real rate 2 to 3 stars.
I'm a bit disappointed. What I like t
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
description

Jesus Christ! Please strike these characters from Heaven! Please, I beg of you.

I've never read a Marianne Curley book before but a lot of people seem to love Old Magic so I thought, what the hell, Hidden has a pretty cover and the blurb sounds decent even though most angel books turn into fails, at least for me they do. So... I. Read. IT!

I read it after dropping it two months ago. It was so painfully stupid. The characters! My God! The insta love is in warp speed. And it happens twice. Please,
Rashika (is tired)
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who can overlook annoying characters and bad romances
Recommended to Rashika (is tired) by: my stupid self

I started this book with rather high hopes. I am not big on angel books because of bad experiences with them, but the summary of this book lured me in.

Oh god I don’t even know where to start with how terrible this book was. It broke my heart into little pieces. I was almost bawling by the end of it because it was so BAD!

For someone who is too lazy to read this whole rant. Here is what you need to know. The main character is involved in a love triangle where both the ‘romances’ are insta love
Suzanne
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angels
While I've been feeling quite fed up with angel books lately, when I was offered this one for review, my interest was piqued. It's a different take on angel lore. There's no God or Devil, or Heaven or hell. But a King of Angels and a Dark Prince who reside in different realms. The concept of how the Dark Prince came to be is pretty similar, with the Dark Prince creating an army and waging war against The Angel King. There's a realm where the angels reside, a realm where mortal souls go after the ...more
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library
SUMMARY

Ebony is a sheltered, naïve sixteen year old who doesn’t know she is really a kidnapped angel, hidden away in a valley while her real family searches for her. When she bumps into her charge outside a nightclub, the good guys finally find her, and now they have to convince her to return to Avena before the evil dark prince comes to claim her as his bride.

WORLDBUILDING

The worldbuilding was light on: there was no explanation of where
Aras Redan
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I can't even describe how much. I love Marianne Curley, I love her Guardians of Time trilogy as it is one of the first novels I've read and it is my definite favourite on my shelves. But no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get into 'Hidden'. It wasn't bad. Not at all. It was just okay, and unfortunately, I had very high expectations. In 'The Named', I loved every single character. They were all unique, different and loveable. But the only character in this n ...more
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loveozya
3. 5 Stars
Even aimed at the younger teen audience, I still found it entertaining and really engaging. Who doesn't enjoy smoking hot angels.
Amy (Turn the Page)
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I’ve been waiting eight years for Marianne Curley to write another book. So I’m kind of gutted that when it finally arrived, I meandered through to 40% before deciding to put it aside.

Marianne Curley was one of my favourite authors growing up. I love Old Magic and her Guardians of Time trilogy and have read them all several times, though not for many years now. I have to wonder if I’d still love them as much if I picked them up for the first time today. Would I have the same trouble with them as
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.)
Ebony has always known that she was different, but her parents have never been open to talking about her and their family. When Ebony finally forces her parents to talk to her, they tell her something she wasn’t expecting – she’s not their biological daughter.

Jordan is a normal kid who has not had the best of starts in life. He’s currently in foste
Becky
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this in the post from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Actually receiving this was a surprise, but an awesome one. I loved reading her 'Guardians of Time' trilogy as a teenager and I still have them on my shelves, but she disappeared and I wondered why, then I got this book and I was really excited. There was an accompanying note explaining her absence for the last 7 years and reading her story made me admire her all the more.
Anyway, I knew I wanted to read th
Louise
Mar 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought this was alright at the beginning, but the further I got the worse it became. The lectures that the angel gave jordan were so long and boring, and the storyline was so silly in places. Why would Ebony get into a car with some random guy she didn't know? especially when he was talking rubbish! he could have been an escaped mental patient for all she knew!
I didn't like the love triangle either. I liked Jordan better than the angel, but the moment ebony saw the angel she was like - i love
Becky
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that got me out of a reading slump that I had been in since my grandma passed in February. This is a book about angels, my first one. I have always been intrigued into how they deal with the concept of angels. This book has edged me to read more angel books.

This book is based around a girl called Ebony who does not know she is an angel. She meets a boy called Jordan who she feels drawn too. She is then swept into a world, that she knows nothing about until Thane shows up a
Ana
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

“Oh no! Another angel book!” must be what you’re thinking. Yeah, well, angels are the new hype so… another angel book it is!

I actually enjoyed Hidden very much. It was short but wow, a lot of things (A LOT!) happen in around 350 pages. Action, character info, romance… This book never gets boring.

What I’m really happy about is that Ebony isn’t annoying as most of the main characters in YA are now. And *drum-roll* THERE IS NO INSTA-INSTA-LOVE! Why are there two “instas”? I can’t really s
Lucy Powrie
DNF REVIEW:

I received this for review from the publisher via Netgalley

I must first of all say that I did not finish this book, through choice of my own, so my review will not be a reflection of the entire novel, only the part that I did read.

I had high expectations for Hidden, mainly because I know a few people who had really enjoyed it but, sadly, this wasn't the case for me. Maybe it's because I had such expectations that I didn't like it, but I guess we'll never know.

From the start, it is ev
Shane
Hidden had an intriguing concept. There was the potential to be a really wonderful book but due to several factors the story wasn't as impressive as I wanted it to be. I had a hard time trying to collect my thoughts to write a review that wouldn't come off overly critical in any way because I respect the author and I want to give her my honest opinion in the most respectful manner I can. So here goes.

I liked the general setting; the world building was good. But at the same time it was a bit tame
Katie_la_geek
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
For this review and more my blog

I really wanted to like Hidden as I have been a fan of this author in the past but unfortunately there were a few to many issues with this book and I just couldn’t get into it at all. Hidden is not necessarily a ‘bad’ book, it is written well and has a good pace and structure but that isn’t enough to make a book entertaining.

The big problem with Hidden is that it feels terribly dated. I have been reading YA for ages now and in the last few years have loved seeing
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
I think I've had Hidden on my shelf for quite some time now, nearing probably 5/6 months now. But due to University I've only just gotten round to reading again, full stop. However as soon as I realised that Hidden was a book about angels (and it helps that it was the first review book I came across whilst figuring out what to read first!) I was excited to read it, and couldn't put it down!

Ebony is an interesting character but I loved her. She was a typical angsty teen who was annoyed at her pa
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
After having Hidden sitting on my shelf for a good 6 months, I was unsure whether to read it or not. However when Suzanne from Paranormal Pages told me how much she loved this book, I decided to give it ago (despite the negative reviews I've seen). And honestly, I did enjoy it.

Angel books tend to be either epic wins or epic fails and I have to say, this is the first time where I'm in the middle. While Hidden was a good read, I did have some problems with it, but not to stop me enjoying it compl
Joy Mary
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Personally found this book to be amazing, within the first couple of pages its already getting well into the story so you aren't kept waiting for something interesting to happen for half the book. I just loved the story line, the characters, the writing and all.
This is the first book of Marianne's that I've read so far, defiantly going to read some of her other books while I wait the the next book of the Avena series :)
L.L. Hunter
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading my copy of Hidden and i knew i would love Ebony's story from the very beginning. She doesn't know who she is until she meets the intriguing Jordan and feel their intense connection, but that is nothing compared to what she feels when she meets Nathanael. Exciting and suspenseful and with a cliffhanger that will kill you, i totally recommend Hidden!
Amanda Canham
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Marianne Curley has burst back onto the scene with an action packed angel story that is bright and wholesome, like a breath of fresh air in the plethora of dark and stormy paranormal YA novels out there. Breathtaking description, a strong female lead, two swoon worthy guys & an ending that will leave you desperate for more. A brilliant start to the series!
Shannon

I CAN'T

CAN'TTTTTTTTTT
Vaniti
Jul 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
She is writing something again! I am so excited I could burst! YAY! I can't wait
Emma
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY GRACE 8:7

I have just finished reading Hidden, an urban fantasy novel, over a three-day period. Immediately, I associate with this book as I live very close to my best friend just like Ebony (one of the main characters) and Amber (Ebony’s best friend). Also, my favourite character is Ebony as I feel I am quite like her in some ways with her weird kinks ,being original and different to the rest as my eyes always seem to manage to get a compliment and I am known to some as a robot but in
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Australian Edition publishing March 1st 2013
Zuzana
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I want to start by saying that I am a fan of Marianne's books. Or perhaps more of the concepts that she presents in them. The way she does it isn't always the best.
This book is better than I remember it to be, though. The first half is actually really good and sometimes even funny - it did manage to get a few laughs out of me. The plot itself is good, too, mirroring Lucifer's fall and giving us what might come after it. Hidden does have one big problem though - its characters. We have two POV c
Jessica (a GREAT read)
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I receieved this e-ARC from the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

When I heard that the fabulous Marianne Curley was going to have a new release this year, I went a little nutso! I adored reading her time-travel/magic books from years ago. Even re-read them several times since back in that day new reads were hard to come by! Imagine that!

So when I glimpsed Hidden on Netgalley I attacked and thankfully already had auto-approva
Faith
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Originally posted HERE

ANGELS?! HOT ANGELS!

That was pretty much the reason I picked up this book but there were unexpected elements which had me a tiny bit confused.

Firstly, lets talk characters.

Ebony: nothing surprising, oblivious to everything and mostly bland.

Jordan: the same but whinier.

Thane: the same but infinitely HOTTER.

I think characters were the main letdown in this novel. Sure, they played a part but they were just so 2 dimensional. It was all action and reaction. There wer
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)
This book was originally reviewed at Tea, Daydreams & Fairytales on 4th March 2013.

This story is told from both the perspectives of Ebony, a violet eyed teenager who until recently was home schooled and has never left the valley her parents farm is located on, and Jordon, a tough kid in foster care who has had one too many things go wrong in his young life. When these two meet for the first time there is an instant connection that changes both of their worlds as you discover about Ebony's pa
Nara
Full review can be found here

Thank you to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) for sending me an advance copy of Hidden through NetGalley. In no way did this affect my opinion of the book.

First, Aussie author FTW.

One thing I can say about Hidden is that it started off quite well. If I were to name the best scene of the book, it would be the one where Ebony and Jordan first meet. Oh Jesus, that was freaking hilarious. The two of them were so awkward and the way dialogue flowed, I could easily
  • A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Mortal Fire
  • The Watcher (The Watcher Saga, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Inception (The Reaping Chronicles, #1)
  • On a Dark Wing
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • A Touch Menacing (A Touch Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sweet Dead Life (Sweet Dead Life, #1)
  • Blood and Feathers (Blood and Feathers, #1)
  • After the Fall (Broken Angel, #2)
  • Mortality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #1)
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Falling to Ash (Moth, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
More about Marianne Curley...

Avena (3 books)
  • Broken (Avena, #2)
  • Fearless (Avena, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I sense a deep despair inside this boy that must be hard to live with.” 4 likes
“Being Married does´t mean you have to give up your sight!” 1 likes