Start by marking “Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk” as Want to Read:
Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk

Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk

(Martin Fowler Signature Book)

For any software developer who has spent days in "integration hell," cobbling together myriad software components, Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk illustrates how to transform integration from a necessary evil into an everyday part of the development process. The key, as the authors show, is to integrate regularly and often using cont ...more
Published July 9th 2007 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Continuous Integration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Continuous Integration

Vergiliu
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
 Even though I had little expectations from this book, after going over a couple of reviews on Goodreads I still decided to go ahead and read it. I think if you're new to this whole CI thing, this is a great book to start with, even if some of the tools presented are no longer that recent/relevant. It goes over many good practices, and all the practices and recommendations are not only still relevant, but surely there are still many teams and companies out there today, that are still not followi ...more
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: software
The entire book can be reduced to two slides: one diagram and one bullet list of pros and cons. The diagram shows up again and again; they use it as a map to the contents, highlighting the current section. Each time, the diagram takes about three quarters of the page. It is not a very busy diagram and if could easily have been made smaller.

So far, it is very repetitive. They keep repeating the same things over and over. They keep promising that topics will be covered in more depth in later chapt
Suman
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book to start working on Continuous Integration. Most tools recommended are more focused on Java development and some for .Net. Definitely suggest this book for contemporary as-well-as veteran software engineers and quality assurance engineers.
Jyri-Matti Lähteenmäki
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dev
NOT recommended!

Even though CI is a really good and important practice, this book is not a good source of information.

Overly verbose, repeating, really small information content, bad/harmful code examples.

I wish I could get my money back since I don’t want to promote this kind of content :(
Milan Popovic
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for newbies on the CI subject
Satya Balakrishnan
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book about Continuous Integration ... If you get into Product Development then this is a must read!
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Good explanations about what implies Continuous Integration, which are the advantages and how to implement it in a theoritical way.
Jahongir Rahmonov
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book for a beginner. I should have read it a year ago and maybe I would have given it a 5 star.
Manas
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot from this book for sure.

We as a team learned this book together
Nick
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Writing production grade software, integrating it, and deploying it without going through this book is like shitting in a bucket and pouring it over the side of your window. Most of the time you can "probably make it work", and because "it works" you might even think you're doing the right thing, but one day, someone--maybe a teammate, maybe you-- will be walking along the windowsill and the solution will fall like "manna from heaven."

It's always been a point of personal exasperation/professiona
_
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Excellent read! So many developers fail to set up a reliable Continuous Integration system for their project. This book is a practical guide that changes your way of thinking about topics like Software Quality and Risk.
Terry
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad. Book often seemed to presume that the reader took a dismissive stance towards the benefits of CI. Often read like a collection of powerpoint presentation essays. Skipped around a bit between topics. Mostly Java-centric, but what is not nowadays. Disliked the stilted/weird dialog of faceless characters having arguments/discussions surrounding CI topics. The jagoff DBA, the cowboy coder, the clueless dev, and so on. Not bad, could have been better, but was probably great for the time. If ...more
Ronald
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Good read. I liked the way the information is presented. I consider this to be a good complement to Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation but if I had to pick one, I'd select the CD book. Make sure to visit the companion website to get the most current recommendations.
Ryan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Let me be clear: I liked the information that was provided. Very useful and applicable to software engineering, and it really changed the way I look at development processes and continuous integration.

But it was way too wordy. I think the information could have been conveyed much more succinctly. The great nuggets of information were watered down with too many justifications and narratives and perspectives.
Radek Urbas
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a comprehensive overview of CI methodology and tooling. It's worth reading for a newbies. Those who have CI experience may learn just a thing or two there but still it may be a good reading for them. You may find it also useful if you are migrating from Java to .NET or vice-versa.
Samuel
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't like it, could a 10th thinner and deliver the same content. Once you finish the first chapters about what CI is (and not from any breakthrough perspective) the rest of the book isn't more than going over and over of the same idea and present some tools, mainly for Java projects.
Michael
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, computers
Good introduction to Continuous Integration. Broad in scope and fairly basic, a quick read. Contains a lot of material about specific tools (the appendix is 15% of the book), but since it was published in 2007, that is all out of date.
Vasili Puchko
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
It's a good general overview of CI. It's focused on java domain, but most of the stuff is applicable to .Net domain as well. It's a good book for people who is new to CI, but for me it wasn't much interesting.
Kinchit Jain
Dec 03, 2014 is currently reading it
best
Nathan
Jan 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a waste of space. Don't even bother. The wikipedia article on Continuous Integration gives you as much useful information as this book.
Avelino Gomes Filho
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
It is basic book about CI.

Nowadays, we have a lot of information in sites, blogs and Stack Overflow. However, this book explain WHAT is CI.
Elena Zhuravleva
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Good introduction in the continuos integration, rating is low because a lot of water it it.
Ondrej Sevcik
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a bit outdated but the main ideas are still valid.
Yumitoshka
Ужасный перевод
Simon Parsons
This is a general overview of CI, with examples from the java domain. There are no great revelations - but if you are new to CI, then it gives a good overview of the ideas
Larry
Mar 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Typical "textbook-ized" fluff. Two-hundred and seventy pages that should have been three.
Igoris Azanovas
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good starter on theoretical CI. It lacks more practical knowledge, but it is not a big problem.
Kari Husa
Aug 18, 2011
RSWH
Aug 17, 2019

• xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Specification by Example
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • The Productive Programmer
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C#
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Becoming a Better Programmer
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Implementation Patterns
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Jenkins: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Martin Fowler Signature Book (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Refactoring HTML: Improving the Design of Existing Web Applications
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions