Start by marking “How Google Tests Software” as Want to Read:
How Google Tests Software

How Google Tests Software

Google faces the world's largest, toughest software testing challenges: To get it right, Google is pioneering the future of testing and automation. You also need to get it right. Learn from Google. In How Google Tests Software, legendary Google testing leader James Whittaker and two top Google experts reveal powerful lessons Google has learned about testing software at un ...more
Published March 23rd 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How Google Tests Software, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Google Tests Software

Start your review of How Google Tests Software
Henrik Warne
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I found out about the book "How Google Tests Software", it didn't take long until I had ordered a copy. I find it quite fascinating to read about how Google does things, whether it is about their development process, their infrastructure, their hiring process, or, in this case, how they test their software. I am a developer at heart, but I have worked for a few years as a tester, so testing is also dear to me.

It's quite an interesting book, and it makes some great points about the future of
Derrick
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I learnt about quite a few useful tools, especially pyAuto for driving Chrome automation, as well as Protocol Buffers for creating class definitions and serializing data easily. However, most of the content in this book is more management than technical focused, and would probably benefit someone who is already familiar with the testing scene as it currently is than new readers trying to find ways to improve their software quality.
Matt Diephouse
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an odd book. It's really 3 things: an internal training manual, a recruiting tool, and an external guide to Google's testing practices. The first two really got in the way of what would have otherwise been a very interesting book. ...more
Zhi Han
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: culture
This is not a typical book. It has both good and bad.

The good: the level of technical detail, the clarity and the straightforward presentation of the authors. The book painted a picture where SET (software engineer in test) was the best technical job and TE (test engineers) are the best generalist job. (At least from a reader's point of view.) It certainly is encouraging and enlightening, particularly for google engineers.

The bad:

(1) the writing style. Oh my god, the authors have almost no writ
Nick Black
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best book on testing (or "facilitating engineering productivity", as it's known within the book and among the google SETs (software engineers in testing)) I've ever read, though most of this will be old hat to anyone who's digested the lessons of test-driven development. read on the advice of my new manager at google. ...more
David
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
As a budding Quality Assurance Analyst at a relatively small software company, I decided to give this book a read to get an understanding of how a big company like Google approaches software testing. I found it to full of extremely helpful information and it opened my eyes to how the rest of the tech industry approaches software testing. It goes into detail about how Google ensures that its product line is of the highest quality, featuring the various types of positions in the "Engineering Produ ...more
Stanislav Mekhonoshin
If you are waiting for tricky testing details, then this book it not what you want.
It is mostly about high-level abstract things, it also contains lots of interviews with Google's top-managers somehow related to testing.
So get ready to learn how Google interviews QAs and how they assign them to projects.
Sherilyn
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
How does Google test software? how it should be tested with developers doing most of their own testing saving the manual testers for the things that are best done by a human. I like the philosophy.
Sergey Kochergan
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Must read for everyone whose work related to software testing and quality assurance.
Viktor Slavchev
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sort of confused with this book. Of course we should consider the book is dated to some extend, so this is not a clear representation of what Google does now in terms of testing.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that they don't test software as a typical large corp, they a lot of flexibility and fresh ideas. There were many good ideas and observations related to, for ex. test plans and the fact they get obsolete the moment they were written.
The interviews with some lead/management Googler
Simmoril
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
In my day-to-day job as a software engineer I constantly encounter new and interesting problems in the realm of testing software. So when I found How Google Tests Software, I was very excited to find out what techniques Google employs to tackle some of these thornier problems at scale.

The opening chapters of the book do a really great job of describing the ethos of testing at Google, and very clearly defining what their goals are and how each of their roles and tools will contribute to that over
Vinit
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: engineering, own
A book that details how the software giant tests their products at huge scale. It explains what challenges does Google face for their products and features which are running at huge scale and how their test teams overcome them with collaboration with the development team.
The book clearly describes various roles at Google like SWE (Software Engineer), SET (Software Engineer in Test), TE (Test Engineer), TEM (Test Engineering Manager) and Test Engineering Director. This book explains each role in
Lee
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides interesting views into how an organization (Google) worked to introduce more quality into their software development efforts. I particularly enjoyed the interviews with the team tasked with rolling out a new approach to testing within the organization. Tasking a small group of experts to drive a new program (new mindset, new approaches) into an organization is tough. And, getting exposure to how other's have faired is valuable.

Speaking of mindsets, in the spirit of "travellin
Dan Stewart
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really impressed by the responsibility that Google places on its software engineers for quality. Testing and quality belong to the entire team and not just a few people with the word Quality in their job title.

The end of the book was a surprise. It made me envision a future where quality was just built into the framework for developing applications and not something bolted on at the end. The tools are getting better and the practices are improving to the level that testers can focus on the
Henk Devos
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is more than 5 years old, and things move fast at a company like Google, so it's a bit outdated already. But looking beyond that, there are moments when teh book gives great insights on how google is doing certain things, and times when you say: I wish we could do the same!
So some good information, but don't expect too much from it. It"'s a rather quick read, and half of the book is interviews with people working at google.
Matthew
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech, business
This is really a four-star book, but I'm taking off one star because one chapter is more than a hundred pages long, I didn't like the page formatting, and there were more typos than I would like.

It's a pretty interesting book, great to see how Google does things. As I was reading I found myself mentally comparing my current work environment to the one described in the book and thinking about what we could do to improve our software development process.

Toni Tassani
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: safari
Interesting view on how Google did their testing back i 2012. After explaining the roles of Software Engineer in Test (SET) and Test Engineer (TE), explaining the types of tests and the tools they used, they end up saying that their approach presented several problems and they won't stick to it.
The book contains a lot of interviews and some of them are repeating or not interesting.
It's a somewhat obsolete reading, for historical purposes or to have more ideas about testing.
Katja Riya
An overview of testing processes in google, mostly about test-management.
From the first view I liked the book, but now when I think about it more, I see more weak places.
Though I find it useful as you can review & compare your testing/managing process.
Goldbho
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the real life examples of how the google engineers use their phones with the latest incremental release of android.
Mike Murray

10) product team assignments
73) browser automation APIs
79) "coverage reports" collect data
яўген Канавалаў
I think it's one of must-reads for QA engineers. The book gives a good overview of Google's testing techniques and tools. And it's quite entertaining as well. ...more
Mike
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful if you're interviewing for a software testing position and haven't had much experience with testing before. ...more
Maximum Peaches
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and useful. maybe not written the best but I didn't find this information anywhere else. ...more
Bangara Raju
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for a QA and teams who wish to improve quality.

Michiel
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Quite interesting, but information is sparsely there. After having said that: it still inspired a fresh look at the way I experience testing.
Anchit
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. The book explains very well how the testing is performed in google, the different tester's roles and the quality process followed. Since it explained things in a simple language I was able to think more about the subject to have my own opinion.

Google spent a lot of money in testing and came up with a new kind of tester that performs much more than what a normal tester does. To tell you the truth I feel that the proper term should not be "Software Engineer in Test". Rather i
Lijadora del Prado
Nice overview of the state of testing at Google 2011-ish. It also motivates the choices clearly.

I would have liked to see some context as well - what is expected of a product owner? How do features get shape? Why did the test engineer need to create a functional overview (shouldn't that be available already)? Probably givens for Googlers, but not for me.

Even with that in mind it is a useful book. I particularly liked the interviews with the people that actually performed the roles. Easy to read
Paul
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great read if you want to know how Google handles the complex subject of testing software. This book covers what Google believes is the best approach to the problem, with the SWE, SET and TE roles explained, and reasons for requiring them, and how Google allocates time for innovation to develop new testing practices. "What would Google Do?" is a common question as they always seem to think ahead of others and this is another example whereby they want to continue to improve and find new solutio ...more
Rosa
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
One friend who works as SET (Software Engineer in Test) at Google recommended me this book. I'm quite interested in software testing and I enjoyed reading this book. It describes in good detail the different roles that take part in the testing process at Google, and it has a lot of interviews with Googlers that talk about their experience and work. This interview format makes the reading very agile and entertaining.

It's definitely a must read for anyone interested in testing.
Christophe Addinquy
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tests
As a high regarded book, my expectations were high. But in the end, I wasn't impressed as I should be. The focus is more on the organization rather than practices or even process. The structure of the book reflect the main roles of the test department. Also the author capture nicely the change of focus of his department, which is probably the most important lesson of the book.
ma note de lecture en français ici

• A Practitioner's Guide to Software Test Design
  • Тестирование Дот Ком или Пособие по жестокому обращению с багами
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Specification by Example: How Successful Teams Deliver the Right Software
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Leading Quality: How Great Leaders Deliver High-Quality Software and Accelerate Growth
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter
  • Influencer : The Power to Change Anything
  • Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky's Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent
  • For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War
  • Shortcut Your Startup: Ten Ways to Speed Up Entrepreneurial Success
  • Agile Testing Foundations: An ISTQB Foundation Level Agile Tester guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »