Start by marking “How Google Tests Software” as Want to Read:
How Google Tests Software

How Google Tests Software

2012 Jolt Award finalist! Pioneering the Future of Software Test Do you need to get it right, too? Then, learn from Google. Legendary testing expert James Whittaker, until recently a Google testing leader, and two top Google experts reveal exactly how Google tests software, offering brand-new best practices you can use even if you're not quite Google's size...yet! ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How Google Tests Software, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Google Tests Software

Start your review of How Google Tests Software
Derrick
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I learnt about quite a few useful tools, especially pyAuto for driving Chrome automation, as well as Protocol Buffers for creating class definitions and serializing data easily. However, most of the content in this book is more management than technical focused, and would probably benefit someone who is already familiar with the testing scene as it currently is than new readers trying to find ways to improve their software quality.
Henrik Warne
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I found out about the book "How Google Tests Software", it didn't take long until I had ordered a copy. I find it quite fascinating to read about how Google does things, whether it is about their development process, their infrastructure, their hiring process, or, in this case, how they test their software. I am a developer at heart, but I have worked for a few years as a tester, so testing is also dear to me.

It's quite an interesting book, and it makes some great points about the future of
Matt Diephouse
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an odd book. It's really 3 things: an internal training manual, a recruiting tool, and an external guide to Google's testing practices. The first two really got in the way of what would have otherwise been a very interesting book.
Zhi Han
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: culture
This is not a typical book. It has both good and bad.

The good: the level of technical detail, the clarity and the straightforward presentation of the authors. The book painted a picture where SET (software engineer in test) was the best technical job and TE (test engineers) are the best generalist job. (At least from a reader's point of view.) It certainly is encouraging and enlightening, particularly for google engineers.

The bad:

(1) the writing style. Oh my god, the authors have almost no
Nick Black
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best book on testing (or "facilitating engineering productivity", as it's known within the book and among the google SETs (software engineers in testing)) I've ever read, though most of this will be old hat to anyone who's digested the lessons of test-driven development. read on the advice of my new manager at google.
David
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
As a budding Quality Assurance Analyst at a relatively small software company, I decided to give this book a read to get an understanding of how a big company like Google approaches software testing. I found it to full of extremely helpful information and it opened my eyes to how the rest of the tech industry approaches software testing. It goes into detail about how Google ensures that its product line is of the highest quality, featuring the various types of positions in the "Engineering ...more
Sergey Kochergan
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Must read for everyone whose work related to software testing and quality assurance.
Sherilyn
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
How does Google test software? how it should be tested with developers doing most of their own testing saving the manual testers for the things that are best done by a human. I like the philosophy.
Simmoril
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
In my day-to-day job as a software engineer I constantly encounter new and interesting problems in the realm of testing software. So when I found How Google Tests Software, I was very excited to find out what techniques Google employs to tackle some of these thornier problems at scale.

The opening chapters of the book do a really great job of describing the ethos of testing at Google, and very clearly defining what their goals are and how each of their roles and tools will contribute to that
Lee
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book provides interesting views into how an organization (Google) worked to introduce more quality into their software development efforts. I particularly enjoyed the interviews with the team tasked with rolling out a new approach to testing within the organization. Tasking a small group of experts to drive a new program (new mindset, new approaches) into an organization is tough. And, getting exposure to how other's have faired is valuable.

Speaking of mindsets, in the spirit of
Dan Stewart
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really impressed by the responsibility that Google places on its software engineers for quality. Testing and quality belong to the entire team and not just a few people with the word Quality in their job title.

The end of the book was a surprise. It made me envision a future where quality was just built into the framework for developing applications and not something bolted on at the end. The tools are getting better and the practices are improving to the level that testers can focus on the
Henk Devos
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is more than 5 years old, and things move fast at a company like Google, so it's a bit outdated already. But looking beyond that, there are moments when teh book gives great insights on how google is doing certain things, and times when you say: I wish we could do the same!
So some good information, but don't expect too much from it. It"'s a rather quick read, and half of the book is interviews with people working at google.
Matthew
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is really a four-star book, but I'm taking off one star because one chapter is more than a hundred pages long, I didn't like the page formatting, and there were more typos than I would like.

It's a pretty interesting book, great to see how Google does things. As I was reading I found myself mentally comparing my current work environment to the one described in the book and thinking about what we could do to improve our software development process.

Toni Tassani
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: safari
Interesting view on how Google did their testing back i 2012. After explaining the roles of Software Engineer in Test (SET) and Test Engineer (TE), explaining the types of tests and the tools they used, they end up saying that their approach presented several problems and they won't stick to it.
The book contains a lot of interviews and some of them are repeating or not interesting.
It's a somewhat obsolete reading, for historical purposes or to have more ideas about testing.
Stanislav Mekhonoshin
If you are waiting for tricky testing details, then this book it not what you want.
It is mostly about high-level abstract things, it also contains lots of interviews with Google's top-managers somehow related to testing.
So get ready to learn how Google interviews QAs and how they assign them to projects.
Katja Riya
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: it, 2018, skills, non-fiction
An overview of testing processes in google, mostly about test-management.
From the first view I liked the book, but now when I think about it more, I see more weak places.
Though I find it useful as you can review & compare your testing/managing process.
яўген Канавалаў
I think it's one of must-reads for QA engineers. The book gives a good overview of Google's testing techniques and tools. And it's quite entertaining as well.
Bangara Raju
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for a QA and teams who wish to improve quality.

Mike Murray

73) browser automation APIs
79) "coverage reports" collect data
Goldbho
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the real life examples of how the google engineers use their phones with the latest incremental release of android.
Maximum Peaches
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and useful. maybe not written the best but I didn't find this information anywhere else.
Mike
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful if you're interviewing for a software testing position and haven't had much experience with testing before.
Anchit
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. The book explains very well how the testing is performed in google, the different tester's roles and the quality process followed. Since it explained things in a simple language I was able to think more about the subject to have my own opinion.

Google spent a lot of money in testing and came up with a new kind of tester that performs much more than what a normal tester does. To tell you the truth I feel that the proper term should not be "Software Engineer in Test". Rather
Lijadora del Prado
Nice overview of the state of testing at Google 2011-ish. It also motivates the choices clearly.

I would have liked to see some context as well - what is expected of a product owner? How do features get shape? Why did the test engineer need to create a functional overview (shouldn't that be available already)? Probably givens for Googlers, but not for me.

Even with that in mind it is a useful book. I particularly liked the interviews with the people that actually performed the roles. Easy to read
Paul
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great read if you want to know how Google handles the complex subject of testing software. This book covers what Google believes is the best approach to the problem, with the SWE, SET and TE roles explained, and reasons for requiring them, and how Google allocates time for innovation to develop new testing practices. "What would Google Do?" is a common question as they always seem to think ahead of others and this is another example whereby they want to continue to improve and find new ...more
Cyberamazing
This book is more about people than technologies (although it contains description of some google instruments and tools for testing software ). I really like the idea of 20 percent time for yourself, and ability to change project every 18 month. Also I like approach for quality and testing. Let computer do all the routine thing and let engineer be engineer and focus on important!

If you wonder how development process organized in one of the most successful companies you should read this book. But
Christophe Addinquy
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tests
As a high regarded book, my expectations were high. But in the end, I wasn't impressed as I should be. The focus is more on the organization rather than practices or even process. The structure of the book reflect the main roles of the test department. Also the author capture nicely the change of focus of his department, which is probably the most important lesson of the book.
ma note de lecture en français ici
Rosa
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
One friend who works as SET (Software Engineer in Test) at Google recommended me this book. I'm quite interested in software testing and I enjoyed reading this book. It describes in good detail the different roles that take part in the testing process at Google, and it has a lot of interviews with Googlers that talk about their experience and work. This interview format makes the reading very agile and entertaining.

It's definitely a must read for anyone interested in testing.
Rich
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I find it interesting that ALL of their source code lives in one single source base so anyone can access the code for any product. They greatly value reuse of common libraries. And if you don 19t like the way it behaves, you can change it (since you have access to the code). I also found it interesting that they have a specific SET position whose sole purpose is to help engineers write tests. You typically don't see this in other organizations. Kudos to Google for leading the way in this ...more
Henry
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Editors should be shot for allowing this out the door. There is no excuse for 100 pages in one chapter. A good editor would not let this out the door.

otherwise an interesting read. They have some good points, but they do not have the right answer: try using google docs (after using something else) as your only office suite and you will understand. I don't know what the right answer is for software testing, but this is only a part.

• Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Herding Cats: A Primer for Programmers Who Lead Programmers
  • Тестирование Дот Ком или Пособие по жестокому обращению с багами
  • Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • Measure What Matters
  • How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business
  • Joel on Software
  • The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time
  • Code Complete
  • Software Testing
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Scarcity brings clarity.” 2 likes
“As test documentation goes, test plans have the briefest actual lifespan of any test artifact. Early in a project, there is a push to write a test plan [...]. Indeed, there is often an insistence among project managers that a test plan must exist and that writing it is a milestone of some importance. But, once such a plan is written, it is often hard to get any of those same managers to take reviewing and updating it seriously. The test plan becomes a beloved stuffed animal in the hands of a distracted child. We want it to be there at all times. We drag it around from place to place without ever giving it any real attention. We only scream when it gets taken away.” 1 likes