Start by marking “Life Sentence” as Want to Read:
Life Sentence

Life Sentence

This sequel to the best-seller Born Again reveals how Colson struggled to begin a new life and ministry.
Published October 1st 1999 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Life Sentence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Sentence

Start your review of Life Sentence
Paul
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read Chuck Colson's first book, "Born Again", you should read that one before "Life Sentence". This book continues the story begun in Born Again with the events surrounding the beginning of the Prison Fellowship Ministries. The sad truth is that prisons don't rehabilitate those who break the law. More often than not they produce criminals who are more hardened and more of a menace to society upon their release from prison than when they entered. Prisons are often overcrowded, ...more
Phillip
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very moving and informative book as I didn't know much about Mr. Colson's early days post-Watergate. The change in him is evident and genuine. I could tell Almighty God has been performing a great work in and through his life. Definitely recommend this book.
Kcoloney
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This "sequel" to BORN AGAIN describes the founding of Prison Fellowship. Colson is both brutally honest about his weaknesses and failures, and quick to express appreciation for God's mercy and the many people who reached out to him and supported him spiritually and in the prison ministry. He was still a relatively new Christian when he wrote the book, and I was struck by the fact that the sociopolitical issues and moral dilemmas Colson struggled against 40 years ago are still stumbling blocks ...more
Kodi
Jun 02, 2008 added it
I thouroughly enjoyed this book. It made me realize how judgemental I've been. I now completely understand the importance of acceptance, forgiveness, testimony, and being open to what God has planned for us. I am very proud of Mr. Colson for making such a difference in the lives of these prisoners, and the lives of their families. I believe in the work of Prison Ministries, and pray that they will continue to work with these prisoners and show them the hope they've never known.
Joy
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like Colson and enjoyed this book about the steps leading to the Prison Fellowship ministry, early days, continued setbacks, but lots of stories of successes as well as failures. The focus was on the people in the ministry -- early encouragers, prisoners. Colson showed extreme humility in sharing his struggles and disappointments. "The disciple is like an ambassador; the longer he serves, the fewer cables and instructions need be sent from the State Department."
Kate
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. I have a great respect for Chuck Colson and his ability to say it like it is. He went where God called him and this book is the story of the ups and downs. God was glorified through his work and many prisoners and hopeless men were touched because of this ministry. This book was a great read and an uplifting story.
Clint Morey
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I think every Christian should read.
How do you hear God's voice? How do you know His will for your life? How do you deal with people who disagree with you or even oppose you?
Chuck Colson struggles with those questions and others as he seeks to live the Christian life.

Joe
Aug 08, 2010 is currently reading it
good followup on Colson's book Born Again (which I have not read btw). Good bio on a man and his growing relationship God, his wife, family, and those he sought to help in prison. A good portrait of a man in the midst of change, challenge and ... the rest I add when I finish the book
B
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! Interesting read, convicting thoughts, amazing relevance after so many years, great insights into history and prison. I was amazed at how he revealed his flaws and defeats, as well as his strengths and victories.
Helenly
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: excellent-books
This is the "sequel" to Born Again. Born Again ends with Chuck Colson leaving prison. Life Sentence is about how he actually starts Prison Fellowship. It really draws you in and you feel like you were there with him. I especially appreciated his honesty about the mistakes that he made.
John Maxham
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A tremendous book that has helped me to understand the importance of prison ministry and how much we need to do for the criminal system of our country.
Monica Willyard Moen
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, favorites, kindle, nls
This is the deeply moving and rigorously honest second part of Chuck Colson‘s story as he begins his work with prison ministry. The ideas in this book are emotionally inspiring and intellectually challenging, urging us to really think about what it means to have justice, mercy, love, and Hope. The book asks a difficult question. If we believe that people can change through Christ salvation, what are we willing to do to help them both to find Christ and to live life outside of prison if they are ...more
Barb
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as Born Again.
Caleb Sweazey
Jul 19, 2014
rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2009
Mar 29, 2013
Carsten Thomsen
Aug 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Through Gates of Splendor
  • Out of the Blue
  • In My Father's House
  • Rebel With a Cause
  • Just as I Am
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • The Insanity of God: A True Story of Faith Resurrected
  • Hudson Taylor
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • Experiencing God Through Prayer
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Give Me This Mountain
  • Full: Food, Jesus, and the Battle for Satisfaction
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold : A New Biography of the Olympic Champion Who Inspired Chariots of Fire
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Abide in Christ: The Joy of Being in God's Presence
Almost 40 years ago, Charles W. Colson was not thinking about reaching out to prison inmates or reforming the U.S. penal system. In fact, this aide to President Richard Nixon was "incapable of humanitarian thought," according to the media of the mid-1970s. Colson was known as the White House "hatchet man," a man feared by even the most powerful politicos during his four years of service to Nixon.