Start by marking “Thin Air” as Want to Read:
Thin Air

Thin Air

At the war's end, the men of the USS Sturman were ordered to join hands on the ship's deck, ignorant pawns in a top-secret Navy experiment.

An alarm sounded. A humming began. Moments later a common surge of desperate, disoriented terror was felt by every crewman as they watched the ship beneath them, and finally their own bodies, disappear into thin air.

Now, after more than
Mass Market Paperback, 318 pages
Published January 28th 1978 by Dell Pub Co (first published 1977)

Start your review of Thin Air
Jim
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read, based on the Philadelphia Experiment.
Vroom
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A pleasant like-able read-once-but-probably-never-again thriller. Perfect for vacation reading.

Very dated but the dating becomes kind of retro chic with its accuracy.
Gregoire
le livre s'est inspiré du mythe du "Philadelphia Experiment" (des expériences de la marine américaine pour tenter de rendre leurs navires indétectables aux radars pendant la 2e guerre mondiale )
Un roman nerveux et enlevé, qui, à part un bref paragraphe (je n'ai pas dit chapitre !!!) sur la physique et Einstein, est à la portée de tous pour un moment de lecture agréable surtout si on n'a pas vu les films parus sur ce thème (invisibilité téléportation ou transport temporel)
Sans être un homme
Dena
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another one I pulled out of the GSB archives. Written in the 70s, it’s a little dated without cell phones and strong women characters but it was a fast paced story that you might have even pictured on NCIS of the 70s! I have yet to be disappointed by any of my dad’s choices. NIS investigator Hammond would have needed a team though! Reminded me of a scaled down Clive Cussler story. I thought the concept of Thin Air was pretty clever and then I saw another review that this was based on ...more
Anita Wilson
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Both mystique & intrigue can provide a gripping fascination; Thin Air, has & does continue to be that compelling story. A paperback book many times read whose pages are now well worn & age stained. On writing this review by retrieving it from the shelf, it’s musty smell is the reminder of how long I have had this book; of when I was first introduced to it as a child, & how it can so easily still draw me in. There is always correlation to things felt & seen. Hammond the naval ...more
James F.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1978 paperback edition of Thin Air was written by George SImpson and Neal Burger. It is an entertaining and easy read, comfortably completed in about two hours. It is a story that is based on the premise that the military-industrial complex flourishes because of its ability to maintain secrets. I recall that the plot line was later made into a Hollywood science fiction movie. The one thing that I recall about the movie (it's title has long escaped my memory) is that the movie plot line was ...more
Kevin
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
A fictionalized version of the Philadelphia Experiment seems like a great idea for a novel. Unfortunately this book shows it's age.

The main character is unlikeable. He spends most of his time investigating, which involves rudely asking co-workers to do work for him, waiting for phone calls, and working through navy bureaucracy to look up information in files. The woman are written weakly and he oddly refers to one female co-worker as "Ensign Just Ducky" all the time.

The scenes that involve the
Mary
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read this book in the 70's and loved it. I reread it many times until I lent it to a friend and it was never returned. I regretted that act of kindness for the next 2+ decades until I recently came across it on the Barnes and Noble website. Score! I enjoyed rereading the story and maybe even reliving a bit of my 20's. Good action, interesting characters and decent writing. Ignore the poor editing and you have a fun bit of sci fi. Sure hope my other favorite book by these authors ...more
Pete Aldin
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-reads
Third time reading this in the past 30 years. This time, it felt a little clumsy in place which was no doubt a reflection of the time it was written in. However it has a flawless plot and brings amp real world conspiracy to life as a taut thriller.

One last gripe: seriously, does every second character have be tall and beefy? Just saying...
Julie
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked the story, I liked the story-telling. I had a hard time with the rampant mistakes. It wasn't misspelled words, but the wrong word. Fork instead of work, for example. Things the SpellCheck won't pick up. Also, many extra commas and periods throughout. But a good book that simply needs to be cleaned up.
Rosemary Dreyer
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In this Dan Brown-type mystery wannabe, the plot was unbelievable; the characters irritating; and the writing weak. Not to mention that there were SO many typos on my Kindle edition - 1-2 per every four out of five pages. This made for extremely frustrating reading, adding to the aggravation. I do NOT recommend this book.
Bob
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Needs to be proof read

This could have been a great read but all the mistakes in grammar, spelling and punctuation errors distracted me to a point where I quit reading.
Jim Razinha
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
[Update, 6 Aug 2016... Masterful storytelling. Well worth the re-walk down Nostalgia Lane.]

Still entertaining after 30 or so years.
Elaine Cantrell
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thin Air is pretty good. It has paranormal elements which I liked and seemed like something that might have really happened.
John
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: thiller
Not a bad thriller with a Philadelphia Experiment plot line
Becky
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About the time I thought I knew where it was going I was wrong. Good story, not predictable.
Halil
Kent Johnson
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vol 2
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vol 1
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Swamp Team 3 (Miss Fortune Mystery, #4)
  • Lethal Bayou Beauty (Miss Fortune Mystery #2)
  • Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • The Hollow Hills (Arthurian Saga, #2)
  • The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3)
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain
  • Here Comes Santa Paws (Melanie Travis, #24)
  • Corrie ten Boom (Heroes of the Faith)
  • The Bermuda Triangle
  • Chariots of The Gods
  • A Stained White Radiance (Dave Robicheaux, #5)
  • Train Man
US author, film scriptwriter and sound effects editor who worked with Universal Studios for several years. With Neal R Burger (1931-2005) he wrote three sf novels, all with a strong espionage-thriller flavour.

Ghostboat (1976) centres on the submarine USS Candlefish, believed lost during World War Two, which reappears in modern times minus her crew. The solution of this mystery involves an uneasy