Start by marking “Foxfire 2” as Want to Read:
Foxfire 2

Foxfire 2

(The Foxfire Series #2)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  749 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This second volume celebrates the rites and customs of Appalachia, featuring sections on ghost stories, spring wild plant foods, corn shuckin's, spinning and weaving, midwives, granny women, old-time burial customs, witches and haints, and wagon making.

Table of Contents:
Maude Shope
Sourwood Honey
Beekeeping
Spring Wild Plant Foods
Happy Dowdle
Making an Ox Yoke
Wagon Wheels an
Published May 22nd 1973 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire 2

Beth
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Beth by: Polly
This one that has ghost stories in it...rather amusing tales of "haints" that people have seen or heard about.

The talk of corn shuckin's and quiltings and other community affairs really made me realize how much the industrial revolution changed our lives forever. Not just the skills but the community togetherness that these people had. All workin' and livin' and helpin' each other through good times and bad.

I'm probably romanticizing way too much, but it's appealing to think about. Seems we've
James
A continuation of the project begun in the first book, and just as good. I wish schools everywhere had young people doing projects like the one that resulted in these books.
Kaethe
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I confess that all I recall are the ghost stories that used the word "haint". I haven't needed any of the other stuff. I'm not a wagon-making kind of gal.
Katie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1974
I found this book even less interesting than the first Foxfire book. I received it as a gift; one of those imperfect gifts in which the giver makes incorrect assumptions about who you are and what you like.
Still, it was another popular series enjoyed by folks who were in the back-to-the-land movement, or (more likely) wished that they could be.
Mandy Havert
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This second in a collection of newsletter articles continues the exploration of mountain living and the 'pure life' of Appalachia. This collection focused more on community and care of the community with spotlights on healing, barn raising, quilting bees and more.
Ellee
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 400-500pgs
Really interesting. I like that they included diagrams and measurements when they were available. I also liked the mix of instructive or just interesting oral history (like the part about midwives and the part about ghosts & ghost stories) and how-to. I am going to copy parts of the section on edible spring plants & how to prepare them. There's a lot of them that I've known you could eat for a really long time, but didn't know how to prepare other than to eat a few leaves (or seeds or wh ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a transcribed oral history of the peoples of Appalachian Mountains. It covers various topics such as making wagons and their wheels as well as oc yokes and spinning looms. These present plenty of drawings and pictures that could be a little more details. There are also some burial customs and ghost stories. This continues a project to save information and skills from the pre-World War II period of the region.
David Ward
Foxfire 2: Ghost Stories, Spring Wild Plant Foods, Spinning and Weaving, Midwifing, Burial Customs, Corn Shuckin's, Wagon Making and More Affairs of Plain Living (The Foxfire Series #2) by Eliot Wigginton (Editor), Foxfire Students (Anchor Books 1973) (917.58). More transcribed interviews by the students at Rabun County High School in Georgia with their rural elders (See The Foxfire Book). My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1975.
Matt
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoying this one right now. I'm on the chapter on springtime edible plants. This is more of a history/folk tale book with its chapters on burial customs and ghost stories than Foxfire 1. That was more of a how-to book. I haven't got to the chapter on wagon making and corn shucking yet. I think there's a chapter on how to make moonshine...
Charles
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Great Series on how on people use to do thing when they were mostly self sufficient, and not store dependent different volumes cover everything from snake handling. to log cabin building to planting by the seasons, a must for DIY'ers and survivalists. Check out amazon.com for individual contents.
Crickett
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the Foxfire books so far. They teach a lot about how people use to do things when they didn't have much. I recommend this book and all the others to people that love to learn how things were did in more simpler times, and what it was like when our grandparents and great grandparents where growing up and what they had to go through
Marguerite
Revisiting this series I read many years ago. Some of the chapters hold up better than others. I learned a lot during my first reading. Now that I reside in Appalachia, I might find the books more useful. The photos tend toward the dark and indistinct.
Jay Wright
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a series about life in Appalachia. This is the second book in the series. Excellent stories of people, edible wild plants, hog cleaning and on and oln. I love this type of how they lived and the details involved.
KennyO
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Foxfire 2, more of the same. It's rare that the phrase "more of the same" is a compliment but it certainly is in the case of the Foxfire series. My thanks to Wigginton and the students of Rabun County H.S.
Kendall
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
See review of The Foxfire Book.
Dan
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
More Mountain livin at it's best
Donna
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Same as all the Foxfire books, very important cultural reference.
Marty
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book of those times. Survial was hard, but this describes how folks made it.
Blast
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival
If you want to know how to live without electricity then these books are for you!
Rochelle
May 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lovedthe first book in the series. This one had great sections...midwifing and wild plant foods. Depends on what intrests you.
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great stuff you never knew you wanted to know about Appalachia and Appalachian traditions!
Taylor W. Rushing
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Big fan of the broom making section.
John
Mont'ster
Nov 27, 2016
Joe Defazio
Feb 21, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: alternate cover for Firefox books 2-6 (Anchor pub) 1 22 Sep 21, 2013 08:46PM
  • Reader's Digest Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
  • The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery
  • The Forgotten Arts and Crafts
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Edible Schoolyard
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land
  • Appalachia
  • Our Southern Highlanders: A Narrative of Adventure in the Southern Appalachians and a Study of Life Among the Mountaineers
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
Eliot Wigginton (born Brooks Eliot Wigginton) is an American oral historian, folklorist, writer and former educator. He was most widely known for developing the Foxfire Project, a writing project that led to a magazine and the series of best-selling Foxfire books, twelve volumes in all. These were based on articles by high school students from Rabun County, Georgia. In 1986 he was named "Georgia T ...more

The Foxfire Series (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Foxfire 3