Start by marking “The Legacy of Eden” as Want to Read:
The Legacy of Eden

The Legacy of Eden

"To understand what it meant to be a Hathaway, you'd first have to see Aurelia."

For generations, Aurelia was the crowning glory of more than three thousand acres of Iowa farmland and golden cornfields. The estate was a monument to matriarch Lavinia Hathaway's dream to elevate the family name - no matter what relative or stranger she had to destroy in the process. It was a
Paperback, 1st Edition, 384 pages
Published January 24th 2012 by MIRABooks

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy of Eden

Kat Kennedy
It's hard to talk objectively about The Legacy of Eden because it is an intensely personal novel. How much you relate to it may well rest upon how horribly dysfunctional your family is. Or was. And I'm not just referring to your parents occasionally fighting or you uncle occasionally getting drunk and being thrown out of bars. This book is about the kind of family dysfunction that is a sickness spreading down the family lines until nobody is left unscathed.

In Meredith's family, that sickness beg
Renita D'Silva
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful. Poignant. Packed with secrets tantalisingly revealed. My kind of book.
Anna
Seventeen years ago, Meredith left her family and her beautiful childhood home vowing never to return. In the present day, she receives a letter informing her that the sole inhibitor of the now decaying house, a cousin, has died and that the property is to be sold. Calling her estranged sisters, they decide to go back one final time to lay some ghosts to rest.

Meredith's narration is taken from her own child-to-adult observations, as well as from the secrets and stories her grandmother Lavinia t
Rose
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Initial reaction: FINALLY finished. It's good but flawed and extremely sluggish in turns. There are quite a bit of characters to keep up with as well, but ultimately, I liked the intimacy of the narrative even if there were things I didn't like about it. More expansion to come in the full review. Probably rating this around 3 or 3.5 stars.

Full review:

This book took me two years to read or thereabouts. Dude, where's my medal? Kidding. I finally finished it in 2014 (still had a copy of the ARC boo
Wendy Hines
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Meredith has created her own life, without a past. She's changed her name and the way she lives. She wants to forget it all, but that is hard to do when she receives a letter from a lawyer. She calls her sister but she is shocked and angry that Meredith is even contemplating calling the law firm. But Meredith isn't finished with her past and so she calls. The law firm is willing to sell the property and the land but they want someone in the family to come and inventory - see if they want anythin ...more
Cheryl
Feb 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
It has been years since Meredith has seen or set foot on Aurelia. Aurelia is a piece of property that lies on more than three thousand acres of land. Meredith receives a letter. The letter tells her that her cousin has passed away and that Aurelia will be dissolved and auctioned off to the highest bidders. The attorney suggests to Meredith that it would make things easier if someone in the family was to come down to Aurelia and sign the papers. Once back at Aurelia, Meredith remembers both the g ...more
Paula  Phillips
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I had recieved this book as part of the VBT# from MediaMuscle and I was captivated by the cover , I had the one on the right as I started reading it, it took a while for me to get past the few pages as I wasn't over excited with the book. For me, it was a little bit slow but if you are a fan of the historical fiction and enjoyed books like The Secret Life of Bees , Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly . The types of novels that take place throughout the different generations . The Legacy of Eden talk ...more
TinaB
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The Legacy of Eden offers a detailed look into the life of the Hathaway family- a once prestigious clan held in high regard within their community who succumb to ruin. Secrets, misspent wealth and loss riddle the family's destruction and define the younger generation. One of them being Meredith Pincetti who travels back to Aurelia and shares the story of her family...the one she knows of and the one her dead relatives bring forth.

Jumping into Eden held much promise in the first 100 pages, I felt
Deborah Sloan
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Written in the spirit of Gone With The Wind or Fried Green Tomatoes you are going to love The Legacy of Eden by Nelle Davy! Truly an epic novel about an Iowa Farming Family who though quite prosperous create their own tragedies by infighting, and machinations of the matriarch grandmother Lavina Hathaway. A family with secrets not discussed, a family envied by all in the county because on the surface they are rich and successful.

Is a family’s value all in the land they own or is there more? For s
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, young-adult
Dysfunctional Family... well that's a polite way of describing the family in this book, really they are well let's just stick with Dysfunctional. Nelle Davy, created a story around this family going from past to present to paint the whole picture and story to the reader. I loved that the most about this book, we really get to see it all.

I really enjoyed this book and the way the author did just that, shows it all to us, every little detail. Yes it does take some time and it is a slow paced book
Julie Rosinski
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story, strong characters. I struggled a bit with her writing style - run on sentences and overuse of pronouns had me confused sometimes and I had to go back and re-read paragraphs frequently. And the ending was a bit disappointing - no surprises, just confirmed what the reader already assumed from page 1. Looking forward to book club discussion and Skype session with the author tonight!
Summer
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing, terrifying, enticing, haunting, and brilliant all at the same time. Reading it is like watching a train wreck. You can't stop reading even though know it can't end well. Amazing! I even ended up burning rolls for Thanksgiving because I couldn't put the book down to get them out! It's roll burning good!
Louisa
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed rereading this book, all the complicated family stuff, and yeah, sad, but good!
Ryan Shonce
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The writer did a phenomenal job at the setting, creating a grand farmhouse built from the ground up. I really enjoyed the way each character was described in detail and you could see the evolution of the characters as they grew individually and as part of a sometimes very twisted family unit. Touches of themes of family duty, sibling rivalry, death, alcoholism, and forgivness.
Alexa
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Reviewed on Alexa Loves Books

I have recently realized that I am, in general, a fan of novels that weave a family dynamic into the story. The relationship between family members is a fascinating one indeed – bound together by blood doesn’t always mean the most peaceful of tales.

As The Legacy of Eden clearly shows us, sometimes, behind a wonderful façade that other people see and that you choose to remember, there are always the memories that lurk in the deepest, darkest corners of our minds. This
Kerry Kirkpatrick
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
wasn't keen on any of the characters and didn't think there was much of a twist.
Amy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept waiting (and reading) to find out the big secrets. But I never understood why the characters did what they did...
Sue Corbett
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Nearly gave up a few times, hard going at first.
Had to keep reading to find out what would happen but not nicest if people and all hating each other.
Michelle Flores
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely not what I thought I was going to get when I picked it up, but the writing was enjoyable nonetheless.
Loni DeRock
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 For me. The book left me with lots of unanswered questions.
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I first got my hands on this book, I knew it was going to be something special. The cover has a luxurious feel; soft and full of depth. I wasn’t disappointed.

The book opens with a prologue which had me hooked:

“I WAS CALLING FOR HER.
I pointed the flashlight into the darkness, punctuating the purple haze of the evening with circles of white. The air was full of the smell of azaleas and the sound of crickets, and I began to think of how much I would miss my home. For a moment, I was truly scar
Bobbie
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Kari Anderson
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From Goodreads.com:
For generations, Aurelia was the crowning glory of more than three thousand acres of Iowa farmland and golden cornfields. The estate was a monument to matriarch Lavinia Hathaway’s dream to elevate the family name – no matter what relative or stranger she had to destroy in the process. It was a desperation that wrought the downfall of the Hathaways – and the once prosperous farm.

Now the last inhabitant of the decaying old home has died – alone. None of the surviving members of
Bea  Charmed
Teaser:

"We are all alone," my grandmother had told me once. "No one feels our aches with us, or our pains or our joys. We are like islands floating in a sea together but that's all, we are still just an island, so close we can touch each other, smell each other, but always from a distance."

My Thoughts:

Since I can be picky about the grammar and such in books, I want to note that the copy I read was a paper ARC. Since it was an ARC, it contained a number of incorrect words (Davy frequently used "
Michelle
Posted on Book Chelle.

Nelle Davy’s The Legacy of Eden was a little hard to read through. The story had a depressing tone, filled with stories of the struggles and dysfunctions of a family. The history of a family, told and felt through many generations, can usually be filled with happiness. But in the case of the Hathaway family, it is filled with anger and sorrow.

The Legacy of Eden mainly revolves around Meredith Pincetti. Meredith has spent a large part of her life trying to escape her family,
Julie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The Legacy of Eden written by Nelle Davy is published by MIRA a division of Harlequin.

Merideth gets a letter from a law firm informing her of the death of her cousin and telling her that he died in debt and his farm and all property was being sold to pay off those debts.
Merideth and her two sisters had been raised on the farm and none of them have fond memories of the place. Merideth is the only one that feels a sense of duty. She decides to travel to Iowa and go through the house and see to th
Deborah
"The Legacy of Eden" is nothing short of a mesmerizing novel. Once engaged, I couldn't stop reading it if I wanted to. Every word must drip from Nelle Davy's illusionary pen like silver. She is a word spinner--simply captivating and crushing your psyche from one sentence to the next. Her writing abilities are staggering. And this grotesque, family dynasty novel is of the best kind, reminiscent of Steinbeck's "East of Eden," and Jane Smiley's "A Thousand Acres." I expect great things from Nelle D ...more
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
THE LEGACY OF EDEN by Nelle Davy
Published by Mira
ISBN-10: 0778329550
ISBN-13: 978-0778329558
At the request of Meryl L. Moss Media, an ARC TPB was sent, at no charge to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis: An epic, sweeping tale of a dynasty rotten to the core, driven by ambition, lust – and hatred.
Bonnie
This cover is gorgeous but it needs to be changed. I initially labelled this as a YA novel. I mean, the whole, back-to-the-reader, hair flowing in the wind, beautiful dress inappropriate for the setting (I mean, who wears an off-the-shoulder ruffle in a wheat field?). It fits in perfectly with a host of angsty YA covers on the market these days (see: Fallen). When I realized the characters were far too old for a YA my mind turned instead to chick lit.

This is not chick lit.

This book reminds me mo
MARQUETTA
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Legacy of Eden reminds of the great mini-series that used to air on TV in the 80s or a two-part movie on Lifetime. The story takes place between the present and the past. The story is told from Meredith Pancetti's point of view. The last of the Hathaway's has died and she must go to Aurelia, the family farm, to finalize the selling of it. Aurelia holds bad memories for most of the Hathways and family secrets. Told from first person POV, the story jumps between Meredith's present day voice an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Book Giveaways: Win: The Legacy Of Eden by Nelle Davy 1 6 Mar 06, 2012 07:13PM

• The Manicurist
  • Indiana Belle (American Journey, #3)
  • Stalina
  • The Turning of Anne Merrick (Anne Merrick, #2)
  • The River of Forgetting: A Memoir of Healing from Sexual Abuse
  • Waiting to Forget
  • The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr (Ladies in Waiting, #2)
  • Veronica's Nap
  • Little Blue Lies
  • The Murderer's Maid: A Lizzie Borden Novel
  • Heart of Lies
  • Emerald City
  • To Live Forever: An Afterlife Journey of Meriwether Lewis (Nowhere Series #2)
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • The Worthington Wife
  • Pearl Harbor: From Infamy to Greatness
  • Becoming Mrs. Smith (#1)
  • A Storm Called Katrina