Start by marking “Distant Thunders” as Want to Read:
Distant Thunders

Distant Thunders (Destroyermen #4)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  2,398 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
The fourth thrilling adventure in the Destroyermen series.

Audiobook, Unabridged
Published June 1st 2010 by Tantor Audio

To ask other readers questions about Distant Thunders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Distant Thunders

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Another wonderful additoin to the lengthening Destroyermen series. A handful of characters we met in the last book become more endearing, a new villain emerges, Silva stays ...well... Silva... and we have adventures and exploration of the familiar but new world.

This book has more world building, or rather introduction-reintroduction to keep us up with all of the changes and less of the wonderful combat. Don't get me wrong here, the world building is great and there is some combat that's prett
Donna
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
What a fun series this has been. I like so many things about this book even though I have always thought that alternate histories were not my thing. If they were all like this one, I would gladly read them all.

I like the characters. They are drawn well and their descriptions match up with the era they are in or rather the time frame from whence they came. They are in a constant fight of good vs. evil, that the author seems to capture well. The fact that the characters came from WWII makes it un
Neil
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth book in the series that is turning into a delight to read! I like the continued character development of even the minor characters as they are forced to step up into 'major' roles. I also have enjoyed how Dennis Silva's character has changed/developed over the course of the series.

In this book, the AEF is now attacking the Grik, not realizing the Grik are now trading space for time in order to have the AEF over-extend their forces and supply line so that the Grik can counter their counter
David Erickson
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy, war, sci-fi readers
Recommended to David by: no one
Distant Thunder is the fourth novel in Taylor Anderson’s Destroyermen series, but the first I’ve read. In summary, a WWII destroyer working the Pacific near Indonesia is caught in a storm that deposits it in another dimension. The earth-like environment they steam into has followed a different evolutionary path. There are numerous sentient species, but the humans, brought there across a broad spectrum of time, are not native.
Where this novel picks up, the native cat and lizard people have, with
T.M.
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun installment of the Destroyermen series. It did seem to get bogged down quite often in the "industrialization" of the Lemurian society, but you can't really go wrong (in my book) when you introduce a fledgling aircraft manufacturing base.

It was a little disappointing that there were so many open-ended situations in this installment, however, and that's the reason I could only give this three stars instead of four. Some of that is to be expected, of course, being as this is the fourth
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Wow! What can I say. This series has just grown better at each stage but THIS book! Thrilling, action-packed, edge-of-seat stuff! The cuddly meerkats are no longer "meerkats"... they're just characters in the story and only occasionally are you reminded that they have fur and tails! The nasty lizards, the Griks, are no longer simply mindless, carnivorous killers but have also taken on deeper characteristics. ...and now a further dimension has been added to the tale. I cannot recommend the Destro ...more
Lizz Edgecomb
Nov 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Derogatory toward women. "the dame problem" - there's not enough women to screw. "they wanted to show their appreciation the only way they know how. They were fairly plain women, so this was this side of heaven for them." - all women are reliant on men and they ought to spread their legs for that and if a woman is not very pretty, they would be thrilled to become whores to please dozens of men and they would be appreciative of the attention.
Robin
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in this fourth outing, the Destoryermen and allies learn a little bit more about the Squall and what brought them to their new world. It reveals treacher and a couple dawning threats about the Grik and other humans stranded in this new, dangerous world. A very strong continuation of this series and probably my favorite book, so far. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
John
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this series just keeps getting better, I really enjoyed this book and looking forward to the next one
Janet Martin
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not as much fun as vol#, but Anderson spends a lot of time expanding his world and building a new story arc. This series is like potato chips--you can't stop with only one!
I.F. Adams
Alright, another one down! If you're like one of the two people who follow my reviews (or one, or zero if you don't count my brother) you know I'm a sucker for stories about technological uplift and complex geo-political settings, so no shocker I'm getting really into this series.

For all it was a bit slower than the prior ones, I really enjoy the complexity of the universe Mr. Anderson is creating, particularly running into corrupt, corporate empires (you see this coming in the prior books, but
Brandon
I still have to say, this is one my favorite alternate history/sci-fi series'. The combination of WWII war machines and the whole premise of being transported to another dimension/version of Earth just makes for great reading. Add to that some great naval battles, good characters, interesting drama and the ever hungry terrifying creatures that evolved in this world.

The series has evolved like the Game of Thrones of an alternate Earth, pitting cultures of different species, ambitions, and time pe
Christopher
Is this a terrible book/series? No. Is it a good book/series? No. Am I inclined to read further? No.

The problem here is that the further into the alt-Earth that Anderson has constructed, the less inherently interesting it becomes so he feels the need to inject other elements from real-Earth (most notably in the form of time-displaced 18th Century British who have set up shop in the Hawaiian Islands.

So we get a fair amount of dull Victorian era-type courtly intrigue contrasted against good ol' W
Josephine
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The drama continues can't wait for the next book
Jake Hahn
Not much happened in this part of the series. Altogether pretty average.
Steven Cooke
A seamless continuation of the series. Still entertaining storytelling, but if I hadn't obtained a good chunk of the series on a friend's recommendation I would be more upset with the "to be continued" cliffhanger ending of this one. The previous books were almost "stand alone", and each had a definite conclusion whether one was interested in continuing the series or not.

As an "alternate universe" story it really is unfair to expect any particular comparison to real history. Essentially it is an
Joanne
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
can't wait to do next one, but must control myself until next month!!
Kat  Hooper
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars. Originally reviewed at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com

The 100 remaining American destroyermen have now been in their strange new world for 16 months. They’ve just had a major victory against the evil Grik, but they know their respite will be short, for the Grik seem to have an unending supply of soldiers.

There’s a lot to get done before they face their enemies again, so the destroyermen are spread out thin. They’re building ships, planes, weapons (but not gas weapons), and a
Johnny
The first half of Distant Thunders is enshrouded in the unease of expected treachery. It isn’t simply the potential treachery established between the descendents of the British East India Company and the new amalgam of nations centered on Captain Matthew Reddy’s rebuilt (and currently resting on the bottom of the bay) four-stacker (formerly coal-burning) destroyer, USS Walker. The new operations which are undertaken at the beginning of this novel open new vistas for back-stabbing mayhem. Of cour ...more
Daniel
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, military
Taylor Anderson continues to deliver in the Destroymen series.The concept of the obsolete Pacific fleet destroyer that were basically target practice in WWII being such a huge force for good in this parallel world that it gets sucked into is quite interesting. With the world there much more hostile than the world we are from, with the Grik on one side, a world that seems intent on eating you (the pirannah-like fish and the larger mountain fish) and only one real ally, the Lemurians you would thi ...more
Rob Trans
The overall plot of the series is not advanced very much in this novel. We learn the Grik have learned they must adjust their strategy if they are to overcome the alliance. The alliance wins a minor battle with the Grik. Some major characters are kidnapped. Walker is refloated.

Most of the book is devoted to rebuilding and advancing the military capabilities of the alliance. More politics with other outside groups is introduced. A fairly shallow examination of religion and how it might affect th
Emily Karn
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ScFi/Alternate History/Military Fans
In the aftermath of the terrible battle in which the men of the destroyerWalker and their Lemurian allies repelled the savage assaults of the Grik, Reddy is shocked by the arrival of a strange ship captained by one Commodore Jenks of the New Britain Navy - an island populated by the descendants of British East Indiamen swept through the rift centuries ago.

With the Walker in dry dock undergoing much-needed repairs, Reddy has a great deal on his plate already. For the Grik have only been fended of
Szetong De
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much action. It was surprising when I found out there was a 4th and 5th book. I found this book wanting in action, or perhaps I was spoiled by maelstrom. The best part of this, at least to a geek like me was the technological improvements. Flying boats aren't that impressive in this day and age, but building them in a bronze age society is pretty damn impressive.

I like how Anderson named the imperial ships. All of the names came from the illiad with the exception of Icarus. The names seem to
Larry
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a page turning book that was hard to put down.

The fourth thrilling adventure in the Destroyermen series.

After the battle in which the men of the destroyer Walker and their Lemurian allies repelled the savage Grik, Lieutenant Commander Matthew Reddy is shocked by the arrival of a strange ship captained by one Commodore Jenks of the New Britain Imperial Navy-an island-nation populated by the descendants of British East Indiamen swept through the rift centuries before.

With the Walker under
Scotto
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this on my iPod Touch in Stanza (still the best reader app IMHO). I'm about 1/3rd through and nothing much has happened. I've read or listened to the previous 3 books which were more fast moving than this book.

Hopefully the action will pick up. I don't really like the Imperial political subplot and I wish Kurasawa would just get eaten by the Grik. I don't find it realistic that he would side with the Grik over other Humans unless he is batshit crazy.

Update: I'm in chapter 13 (55% thr
Jaye
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book blasted through!

This series continues to perform well. The Alliance are reeling from their catastrophic "victory" at Baalkpan. Yes, they won, but their fleet is wrecked (and the USS Walker half sunk) and their command structure is a shambles. Almost out of the blue, they encounter ships from New Britain (descendants of the "first" visitors from our world). These ships are searching for the heir to the New British throne, who was rescued in the previous volume. At first, they all see
Bob Lamothe
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome installment in the Destroyermen Saga. This series just remains excellent. Many readers have complained that there isn't enough action in this one, but I disagree. Distant Thunders takes place after the Battle of Baalkpan when the Americans and their Lemurian allies have won a fierce battle which has cost them dearly and put the Grik on the defensive. As the allies heal and repair their damage a new player enters the stage who may or may not be a threat. This book spends much time ...more
azdbackfan
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex
"Distant Thunders" is book #4 of the Destroyermen series. It is another transitional book leading up to another big battle, but this is a good book. I struggled with whether to give it another star, but I decided to simply praise the book and let it go at that.

The Story: The USS Walker must be raised from the bottom of the bay and repaired. Love is blooming and suddenly an important character is kidnapped. It may lead to war.

I just like this novel, because I liked the princess. She added an impo
Andreas
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the epic events of Maelstrom, the series slows down and goes on a slight sidetrack due to the actions of a certain faction of New Britannic Empire.

While I was initially hesitant about the story decision, I found it ultimately to be a good thing. Adding the wrinkle of both the New Britannic Empire and the power struggles therein makes for a more interesting arc. Meanwhile, the humor and action are still present, making this book yet another worthwhile installment.

Goodreads Librari...: Please correct language 3 24 May 15, 2017 06:23AM
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
  • Valiant (The Lost Fleet, #4)
  • Against the Tide of Years (Nantucket, #2)
  • Midst Toil and Tribulation (Safehold, #6)
  • The Amazon Legion
  • Liberty: 1784

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Crusade (Destroyermen, #2)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • Blood in the Water (Destroyermen, #11)
“...playing possum was a skill he'd learned in China once upon a time, and it had come in handy more than once. When, oh, Chinese gangsters, for example, thought you were down for the count, they were less prepared when you suddenly resurrected yourself and beat them to death with a goofy jade Buddha you didn't know why you had. Life was weird that way, and it always helped to have an edge.” 0 likes
“I’ve often heard it said that teaching makes a smart man wise. I’m not sure that’s true in a classroom, but out here?” He shrugged. “It sure shows you what you don’t know, and in our situation, you’d better find an answer. Chances are, somebody has one.” 0 likes