Start by marking “The Golden Hawk” as Want to Read:
The Golden Hawk

The Golden Hawk

They called him the Golden Hawk, Kit Gerado, whose tawny mane and fierce hungers were know and feared thoughout the Caribbean. As ruthless as he was passionate, he plundered the seas on a savage quest for vengeance and love.
Published September 28th 1982 by Dell Pub Co (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Hawk

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
443 books — 431 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
549 books — 681 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Loved every swashbuckling, adventurous, romantic chapter! :):)
Andrew A.
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a library book sale because the binding was upside down to the pages and I thought that was funny. Now, I am IN LOVE with this book!! I love the characters, the story, the plot, the setting... but above all, the language! It was like poetry in prose. Beautiful and descriptive and poetic, but not at all heavy. The very first paragraph had me hooked:
"There was no wind in all that sweep of sky. Now and again one of the black-gray mountains of cloud, too heavily laden, sank alm
Rebekah Dellisanti
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I picked up an old battered copy of this book when I was in High School at a yard sale somewhere. It laid around my room for a bit until the summer time when I needed a poolside read. So I grabbed it, went to the pool and began.

What followed was what is now one of my favorite novels. It had no dust jacket so I had no idea what it was about. So how surprised was I when out came pirates, a kickass female and a truly horrible villain. Throw in a good twist, excellent characters and a caribbean set
Sophie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting!
Charlie Parry
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been guilty of complaining of a lack of action in some of the recent books I have read. Well, such was not the case with this adventure tale from Frank Yerby! We reel fantastically from one harrowing scene to the next, while all along there is an underlying tension of love, family, and honor. What a ride!

Kit is a buccaneer without equal in his skill and good looks. He and his giant pal Bernardo sail the Spanish seas until one day the encounter a beautiful lass Rouge who unwillingly captur
Robert Magness
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun book. I picked this up because I recorded the film adaptation from Turner Classics. I figured I would read the book first, since I would get that done before watching the movie. It was an interesting story made because of the characters. The lead is an interesting, conflicted pirate; but his nemesis is also just as interesting. They aren't too cookie cutter in their characterization. I have low expectations for the movie, though. The direction this could go for a film is excellent, but I kno ...more
David
Aug 10, 2008 added it
Shelves: pirates
Although little remembered today, Frank Yerby was one of the last great writers of swashbuckling adventure novels. In The Golden Hawk he tackled the quintessential swashbuckler subject, piracy on the high seas.

Kit Gerardo is the dashing young man at the center of the novel. He serves under Captain Lazarus, a leper buccaneer, together they quell a mutiny, survive the Port Royal earthquake, battle a Spanish galleon, and rescue a beautiful girl who drives Lazarus to suicide and shoots Kit in the he
Parris Bonds
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was the first book outside of gradeschool "Dick and Jane" that I read. Purloined the copy of The Golden Hawk from my parent's bookshelf (still have that copy). After this, there was no stopping my reading adult literature.
Lisa Hapney
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's been so long ago that I can't remember when I first read this book. However, I do remember the three different times I had to search used books stores to get it back because I had loaned it out. Needless to say, it stays in the house now where it belongs. I love this story.
Charles
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it
A sort of mixture of adventure and romance. Pretty good. Yerby might be the guy who gave the purple to the term purple prose, but it's still a fun read.

A golden-haired rogue pirate has two women who love him, one with flame red hair and the other dark. And there's a secret about his past.
Jack Massa
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, well-researched pirate yarn, rich in historical and nautical detail. Characters are somewhat TOO boldly drawn, with behaviors and emotions that splash frequently over the top of the tankard. Otherwise, a nice mixture of action, aventure and romance.
Linda
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
A pirate story.
L.   (Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels - I Got None)
More over-the-top (bordering on ridiculous) yet fast-paced adventure from that wacky Frank Yerby.
Carol
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Truly Swashbuckling!
Jim Puskas
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
An old-fashioned swashbuckling tale; first of many Yerby books I read, mostly in my youth. Not serious literature by any means but fast-moving, colorful, irreverent good fun.
Bryon Starner
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was 10. Really good book that began my love for reading.
Mohamed
Paula
Feb 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Nightsong
  • The Black Rose (Dangerous Heroes, #1)
  • Tell Me Lies
  • Desire in Disguise
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Velvet Chains
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • Nor Gold (The Pirate Captain The Chronicles of a Legend, #2)
  • The Kraken's Mirror (The Kraken's Caribbean, #1)
  • Rafaella (The Plantation Series Book 2)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Master of Falconhurst
  • Bound by the Buccaneer (Pirates of the Jolie Rouge Trilogy, #2)
  • The Reliance (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #2)
  • Passion's Ransom
  • The Bride of Blackbeard
  • Below the Salt
  • Fire & Ice
Born in Augusta, Georgia to Rufus Garvin Yerby, an African American, and Wilhelmina Smythe, who was caucasian. He graduated from Haines Normal Institute in Augusta and graduated from Paine College in 1937. Thereafter, Yerby enrolled in Fisk University where he received his Master's degree in 1938. In 1939, Yerby entered the University of Chicago to work toward his doctorate but later left the univ ...more