Start by marking “Destroyer (Foreigner, #7)” as Want to Read:
Destroyer (Foreigner, #7)

Destroyer (Foreigner #7)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,046 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
It has been two years since the starship Phoenix left Alpha Station on a rescue mission where over four thousand human spacers were under attack by a hostile alien race. Now, exhausted from their journey, the crew of the Phoenix yearns for home. But when the ship makes the jump into atevi space, they learn the worst: that supplies to the station have been cut off; that civ ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by DAW (first published February 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destroyer

Brad
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book marks the start of the third sub-trilogy of the series and a very welcome return back to the Atevi Homeworld.

Now while I did enjoy the spacetravel and the intrigue with the new aliens and the mess with the other space-station, I really love the fact that we're returning to where my love of the series began.

We left with the world practically unified under Tabini, but when Bren returns to the system only to find that supplies from the world aren't getting to the space station and the ma
Gergana
Woohoooo! Where do I begin?!

Did some sketches too :3

Finished book 9, so it's time to do a review for the whole third sequence (books 7 through 9). No spoilers, promise!

Story

We've spent two years in a spaceship where Atevi and Humans have been peacefully coexisting with each other...imagine that. And noone was better at adapting than the young heir of the aiji - Cajeiri, who manages to get himself and his new human associates in all sorts of mischief. Meanwhile, Bren and pretty much all the grow
Veronique
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
7th book - beginning of third trilogy

After the events of the previous instalment in space, this book very much felt like a return to the very beginning of the series, mirroring even Foreigner on a lot of points. Bren however is a very different person, even though he still worries all the time, and it was fascinating to follow him on yet another threatening situation. And what a royal mess!!!

The usual characters shine as always. Do I even have to mention Ilisidi? Cajeiri is proving very enterta
The_Mad_Swede
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of C. J. Cherryh since I first read Foreigner (the first part in her Foreigner universe series) a little more than five years ago. I've since read (with this one) six sequels in that series as well as the first novel in her Chanur series (and have managed to accumulate quite a few more books by her on my shelves). And so far, she has not yet let me down.

Part of what fascinates me about her writing is her strong ability to depict a meeting between cultures, a meeting with the Othe
Sandra
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, scifi
Once again, Cherryh has proven herself master of political intrigue and tight, suspenseful plotting. This is one of the best. This story also includes some deep emotional scenes -- between Bren and his old love, Barb who is now with his brother Toby; between Bren and Jago as he assures her his future and his heart lies with her, although, of course, he doesn't say 'heart' as that is meaningless to atevi. There's also a touching scene between Cajieri, the aiji's heir, and his new adolescent frien ...more
Nora
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, female-author
I enjoyed this installment of the Foreigner series very much. The turn of events was completely unexpected (I don't even usually read blurbs, so I had honestly no idea), and it was a good change of pace to get back to the atevi world and politics after the space adventure of the last one. Bren is a bit whiny in this, but well, that's Bren!
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The series continues strong! This time we get back to something much more like the intrigue from the beginning of the series. There's certainly more action in this one than some of the others. It's a slightly faster read, with a very satisfying ending. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of trouble Bren gets into next.
Nikhil
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Tense, heart-pounding action from beginning to end... too tense. No rest for the reader. A little stressful to read.
Mark Edlund
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Science fiction series - Bren and his aliens are back from their space trip and the planet has gone to heck in a hand basket. Well done and well characterized.
No Canadian or pharmacy references.
Sue
Mar 21, 2017 added it
Awesome
Kevin
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel like this volume is a bit of a return to form. It's not that I didn't enjoy the second trilogy, but there were spots in which I felt like the prose was a bit forced and the plot was a bit stretched (like she had enough material for two books but had a contract for three). This book, however, recaptures the pacing and the tone of the first trilogy and I hope the next two will be as good.
Beverly
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
While certainly not as action packed as the previous books (mostly notably its immediate predecessor), Destroyer packs a punch nonetheless. Finally, we have a longer interaction with Barb and Toby and Cajeiri takes precedence. As always with the Foreigner series, there are long sections of stream of consciousness, interspersed with dialog and summary designed to keep the reader on their toes- this is not a book to read while you're tired. Much of the action takes place "behind the curtain" and i ...more
Kristin
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I love this series. The world and character building are outstanding, there is so much subtlety within those typed pages, and it's a thinking book as much as it is an action book. I find this combination absolutely perfect and absorbing.

These are not stand alone books and I highly recommend you start at the beginning with Foreigner.

As with most of Cherryh's books, this starts out somewhat sedately, then before you know it, you are being sucked along with the characters and while it's not Fast
P.D.R. Lindsay
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Arriving at the home space station from deep space after a successful trip to deal with the lost humans on the wrecked space station and the alien race who are not pleased with the invasive humans, Bren, Paidhi and interpreter for the atevi who own their home planet is only concerned about the aiji's heir. Seven year old Cajeiri, who came into space with them, has formed an alliance with some of the rescued children and a fondness for the films and books from the human archive. Not useful for an ...more
Kaushik Iyer
Read right after Explorer, Destroyer requires patience. We're back at the Atevi planet, the dramatic resolution to the Kyo affair has resulted in a ship crew that's tired and looking forward to the promised paradise of inter-species harmony.

What they get is chaos. Everything we took for granted in the first six books (Tabini in control, the aishidit’at in peace, Barb being annoying) stops being true. The amazing thing is that Cherryh makes this breakdown of Atevi society completely believable.

Th
J.C. Webb
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-protagonist
Return to the planet of the Atevi! (view spoiler)

Th
Mark
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
I continue to be impressed by C. J. Cherryh's works. This one is seventh in what has become a nine-book story arc. Consequently, there's quite a bit of catching up and telling-not-showing going on in the first bit. And the protagonist is still a bit introspective for my tastes.

Still, all of that doesn't matter against the wonderful descriptions and best alien psychology and culture in the genre today. The atevi are rich and very real people who, at the same time, are comprehensible and utterly a
LindaJ^
Book 7 of the Foreigner series, featuring Bren Cameron and the Atevi. The Phoenix arrives home to Alpha Station after its successful mission only to find the world turned upside down. There has been a coup attempt on the planet and Tabini-aiji is apparently in hiding, if he is alive. No shuttles are bring supplies to the station. After Ilisidi consults with Lord Geigi and Bren consults with the Mosphieran president, Bren, Ilisidi, and 8 yr old great grandson Cajieri and staff take a dangerous sh ...more
Lisa Feld
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nyc
Another high-stakes story in an excellent series: action and intrigue fueled by anthropological and linguistic brilliance. Over and over in the early books, Bren has remembered the disaster that occurred when humans offered atevi friendship and too-rapid technological advancement, all the while forming deep bonds of his own and trying to ensure that atevi advance fast enough to have a say in interstellar conflicts that could impact their world.

Here's where everything finally blows up in his face
Krista D.
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty high paced book, though the ending sagged a bit trying to wrap things up enough to not end on a cliffhanger, but try to set up the rest of the sub trilogy.

The highlight of this book was Bren telling Jago, in his own way, that she was everything to him. So was the Dowager having tea with her ex lover of all people and...holy wow I couldn't stop laughing. Bren was basically "drinking ma tea, just drinking ma tea."

It's interesting to see how much the human side of things have cha
Emilie
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
CJ Cherryh is one of my all-time favorite authors and this nonet is probably her best effort. It's got everything -- politics (lots of it), really great aliens, culture clashes of monumental proportions, great charaters... I can't say enough about it.

The story is absorbing -- a lone human diplomat becomes embroiled in the political life of an alien culture that's just similar enough to his own to be comfortable and just different enough for that comfort to be extremely hazardous. In the course o
Stuart
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The seventh book in the Foreigner universe, the start of the third trilogy. As I have said before, like meeting old friends after a long absence. But this was not the best Foreigner book. All the books in the series have a rhythm, with lots of thoughts and politics taking up most of the book, followed by an action crescendo towards the end. That's one of the attractive things about the series - the way the author has us get partially inside the alien Atevi mind - understanding the nuances of mea ...more
Emotonal Reads
Jamie Collins
Another good read, and it's nice to have the atevi in political turmoil this time, while the humans stand back and wait for the fallout.

Bren and the gang return from their deep space mission with exciting news about more aliens, both friendly and hostile, only to find that the atevi government has fallen and there’s a war going on. They hie themselves down to the planet, bringing the 8-yr-old heir whose mixed heritage will encourage peace, and insert themselves into the political situation.
Bjørnar Tuftin
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I nearly gave this book three stars based on the strength of the author, the general quality of the writing and the series preceding it, but in all honesty I found reading it a chore. The protagonist spends too many pages whining and doubting himself and thinking in rhetorical questions. I'm hoping the story picks up in book two of this third trilogy, or I'll hide these behind the six first books and pretend I only own those.
Taueret
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I love this series, but I listened to the first 6 books narrated by a lady who, in spite of the dodgy transfer from audiocassette to mp3 really gave every character a unique tone and manner of speaking. This is a newer reading with a male narrator and he's pretty terrible- or maybe I just miss the lady. He gives characters really silly voices and of course all his female characters just sound breathy and whiny. I may actually ditch audio and read the remaining titles in e-print.
Michael
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Going with the "it was okay" rating as indicated by the Goodreads system. I rate this book so-so. I have enjoyed the Foreigner books in the past, but this one seemed to spend way too much time in Bren's head with him ruminating, and didn't have enough actually happening. Although the Foreigner series has always been more cerebral than not, this one seemed to be a bit unbalanced in that direction.
Babsidi
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Spectacular. Not since Invader have things moved this relentlessly. Constant suspense, constant twists and turns, and our protagonist doing sensible things, like getting the hell out of dodge. I was a bit worried about how Cherryh would keep the series rolling forward, but all doubts are now gone.

I can't wait for the next book.
Liberty
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was very nice to return to the atevi planet in this one. While I enjoyed the journey through space, I first fell in love with this series because of her lovingly crafted and complex inter-species world. And even though it was falling apart, I felt almost as much relief as Bren to be back where the world curves down, with fresh water and air, and the same awful politics.
Rick Thomas
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome chapter in the Foreigner series. A continuation of tight plot and sophisticated characters. These characters have become people;well defined individuals that I have come to care about.
  • Rebel Ice (Stardoc, #6)
  • Changing Vision (Web Shifters, #2)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Worldwired (Jenny Casey, #3)
  • Ascending (League of Peoples, #5)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Wasteland of Flint
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Foreigner (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Foreigner (Foreigner, #1)
  • Invader (Foreigner, #2)
  • Inheritor (Foreigner, #3)
  • Precursor (Foreigner, #4)
  • Defender (Foreigner, #5)
  • Explorer (Foreigner, #6)
  • Pretender (Foreigner, #8)
  • Deliverer (Foreigner, #9)
  • Conspirator (Foreigner, #10)
  • Deceiver (Foreigner, #11)