Start by marking “JavaScript Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
JavaScript Enlightenment

JavaScript Enlightenment

If you're an advanced beginner or intermediate JavaScript developer, "JavaScript Enlightenment" will solidify your understanding of the language--especially if you use a JavaScript library. In this concise book, JavaScript expert Cody Lindley (jQuery Cookbook) provides an accurate view of the language by examining its objects and supporting nuances.

Libraries and frameworks
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript Enlightenment

Start your review of JavaScript Enlightenment
Rob
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
tl;dr: It's a 150 page essay on auto-boxing, full of dangerous code examples and anti-patterns and soft warnings to "not do what I just did", and some of the wording is not-wrong-but-not-quite-right, but hey there are some decent parts, I guess.

Cody Lindley's JavaScript Enlightenment has an awesome title, and I wanted very much to like it--but I think I'm going to have a hard time recommending it to anyone. Maybe.

Lindley states that the target audience for his book is (effectively) JavaScript
Kaela
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kaela by: David
Shelves: website
I attempted to read this book before knowing anything about js, and it was too difficult to comprehend. After taking a few courses on codeschool, this book was a breeze. It really helps instill the "why" behind the language. Great book!!

The author does repeat himself a LOT, and even warns readers that he will do so. If you already know the language really well, the read may drag for you. If you're having a difficult time understanding js, the book will drive home important concepts.

On a scale
Matt Chapman
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
See review on oreilly.com
Colle Owino
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the few short books that I actually enjoyed. It wasn't too heavy on the side of explanations but it gives you just enough to be satisfied. Most of the chapters were quite repetitive but its makes them more standalone and I highly recommend it if you want to grok the core concepts of Javascript.
Ahmed Nasr
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book to read more than once!
Isidro López
I would recommended reading "The Good Parts" much more than this one, specially for someone who has not already "interiorized" the JS "best pracitces"...
Rachel Nabors
I got into web development from the web design end of things. I've always wanted to master JavaScript and release my bonds to libraries like jQuery. Other web developers told me to read "JavaScript the Good Parts" and "Eloquent JavaScript," but invariably I'd get a third of the way through the book before falling asleep. Those books were written by people with computer science degrees for people who are programmers first, designers and front-end implementers second.

This book is not like that.
Nate Berggren
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I would recommend this book only as a companion to another book, such as Crockford's JavaScript: the Good Parts. It was useful to me to read an alternate explanation of many of the concepts that Crockford covers in his book. After reading Enlightenment, I re-read The Good Parts, and it made much more sense.

Here what i didn't like about the book. The text is extremely repetitive. While Lindley warns in advance that he will be repeating important concepts, I believe he goes overboard. The code
Ahmed Boha
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: js, best-of
Why this book is given such a low rating is beyond me. This book will teach you almost everything a professional JavaScript developer needs to know.
I mean this guy Cody Lindley does know what he's talking about, if only he were as good a tutor as he is a developer, although this wasn't the biggest flaw of the book. That honor goes to his oversimplification (as well as over-complication) of certain subjects he discussed throughout the book. The author goes on and on about some stuff he had
Derek
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you need to build your JavaScript knowledge from the ground up, I'd recommend reading JavaScript Enlightenment, or a book like it, and then jumping into Crockford's The Good Parts. The two books are fair companions - JavaScript Enlightenment is a good, basic look at JavaScript, and the Good Parts is a more conversational, deeper dive.

A similar book written with ES6 in mind would be preferable to this one, but Lindley's book is still a good resource if you can't find another. If you're an
Jeroen
He really hammers it in.

I enjoyed reading the book and learned a bit of the inner workings of the language. (some sidesteps in to "Eloquent Javascript" and some more on closures also helped)

Mr. Lindley does come over as very repetitive, hammering again and again on the fact that primitives are stored as values (eg).
This repetitiveness got a bit boring in the end. The good thing though is that you really feel like you're learning something. "I already know that dude".

I understand a bit more
Rob 'Crash'
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I've been writing JavaScript for about 2 weeks and mostly just libraries, our but this book didn't really give me much new information. What information it gave seemed to be repeated two or three times. I actually looked back and forward through the text multiple times to see if my eReader had dropped me back a page or two. It seemed like the same concepts were given multiple times. And not in a way that helped me understand it better, but so I thought I was actually reading the exact same pages ...more
Lars De Richter
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this book for learners. I did like the idea that it starts from objects, but when using this to teach javascript to real beginners, it failed miserably. It simply becomes too complex too quickly and it is by far too abstract for beginners. For more advanced programmers on the other hand it is too tedious with all its repetitions.
Ian
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a "self-taught" JavaScript author, I found this book tremendously helpful at filling in the gaps that come with learning via StackOverflow. The author's concise writing style is a treat, although the last few chapters are basically the same thing with some Find & Replace going on. Great book, would highly recommend to anyone who feels like their foundation needs repair.
Scott
Mar 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
This takes the cake as one of the worst books I've read. How do I get that time back! I felt like I was being lectured by a student who fronts like he knows programming, and struggles to be taken seriously. But you hear and sense the lack of conviction. Do these publishers screen these guys?

Eloquent Javascript would be a better fit for novice, and even seasoned developers/hobbyist.
Donald Guy
Super redundant and not very informative really. Maybe a decent novice book but not even sure of that. Honesty, the table of contents is maybe a decent couple pages of reminders, but the content of each section rarely actually says anything else and code samples are mediocre to shitty. On the plus side, It's a quick read.
Joel
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Good introduction to the basics of Javascript, very repetitive (though author warns in preface) which isn't terrible considering how terse the copy.

Sample code is all available as live code via link in e-book, which is a nice modern touch.
Jeff
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A little redundant at times, but I think this book is a good first read before jumping into a more advanced JavaScript book like JavaScript: The Good Parts...which I plan to reread now that I have a better understanding of the prototype stuff.
Jason Gill
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always struggled with OOP in JavaScript, but this book has changed that. Very helpful and well written examples. If you already know JavaScript, but just need an OOP crash course, the first couple of chapters is all you need. The rest is mostly review, hence 4 stars instead of 5.
Kumanan Murugesan
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Helped me to get a deeper understanding of JavaScript. Since JavaScript is the foundation for all the front end frameworks, I believe a good understanding of JavaScript will help me to be a better front end developer.
Enrique Sánchez
Super easy to follow and to the point short overview of objects in JavaScript, as well as their inheritance and prototype.
Katherine
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
OK for beginners but this is not an enlightening beginning if you pick this up as your first book on Javascript. Great title though!
Mohamed
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
GooooooooooooooooooD!
Seto Elkahfi
Yes, this book successfully enlighten my JavaScript journey
Zubair Muneer
Apr 29, 2016
Patryk Jankun
Jan 05, 2015
Kilgore
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2019
Chris J Mears
Jan 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Visual Doing: Applying Visual Thinking in your Day to Day Business
  • Null States (The Centenal Cycle, #2)
  • This Is Service Design Doing: Using Research and Customer Journey Maps to Create Successful Services
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • The Success Equation
  • Everything is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Cody Lindley is a front-end/JavaScript developer and recovering Flash developer. He has an extensive background working professionally (20+ years) with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and client-side performance techniques as it pertains to web development. If he is not wielding client-side code he is likely toying with interface/interaction design or front-end application architecture. When not sitting in ...more
“Function expressions and variables declared inside a function without using var become global properties.” 0 likes