Start by marking “Aliens vs. Predator: Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 1)” as Want to Read:
Aliens vs. Predator: Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 1)

Aliens vs. Predator: Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,419 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Machiko Noguchi accepted the assignment of supervising the ranching colony on Ryushi as a challenge. Little did she know that not only would she have to run the colony, she'd defend it with her life.

First the carcass of a spiderlike alien is discovered. Then a rancher's family is massacred. Finally a creature unlike any ever seen before is brought to the colony medical cen
Published April 1st 1994 by Spectra Books

To ask other readers questions about Aliens vs. Predator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens vs. Predator

Frankie
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seen-movie, 2016
I loved this!
I've recently watched all the alien and predator films and really fell in love with them.
I think I only enjoyed this book because of having watched the films, otherwise i dont think i would of picked this up.
It really surprised me.
The relationship between Dachande & Noguchi is amazing. The communication/differences/similarities was so interesting. It was so emotional.
The short chapters and switch of point of views was great.
Chris Querrard
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The enemy of my enemy is my friend which seems to be the theme in the book Alien vs. Predator Prey by Steve Perry and Stephani Perry. The setting is in the future where people manage to leave Earth onto a planet called Ryushi. The book starts out with two pilots Scott and Tom are in hyperspace on a giant ship called The Lector. In space a group of hunters (predators) are preparing for a massive hunt. Dachande was the leader of this hunting group and he was an honorable warrior and was in charge ...more
Joseane
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can only say if you are a sci-fi fan and especially a fan of the Predator film series/graphic novels then you MUST read this book. It shows a bit more of the Predator race (also known as Yautja), world and language through the eyes of Dachande/Yeyinde/”Broken Tusk”, a Yautja warrior who is a magnificent and extremely honorable example of his culture. On the other hand we have Machiko Noguchi as his human equivalent in strength and courage; she actually reminds me a lot of Lt. Ellen Ripley from ...more
Tina
So how did it take me so long to realize this book existed? I am a HUGE fan of anything to do with Predator, Alien, Alien vs. Predator (i've watched all the movies like 20 times). And then they give me Machiko Noguchi, corporate businesswoman turned bad-ass Alien hunter? Teaming up with a Predator? And on an alien desert planet? I repeat, how did it take me so long to realize this book existed? To be honest, if I could choose one life for myself, Machiko's would be it. I actually had to stop mys ...more
Louis
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fict-sci-fi
This was written in response to the game Alien Vs. Predator and it discusses the origins of how humans get involved with both species.

I think this would have made a much better movie than the script used in the A v P movie released. Having a hidden temple near Antartica was a bit of a stretch. This book is set after man has gone to space and encountered the beast from the Alien.

The book was enjoyable, and Steve Perry does like doing personal fights scenes, mostly with swords or hand to hand com
Dartigeres
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book I read it either in Junior high or high school. This book has nothing to do with the movie and came out before all of the games. This is far better than the movie which basically hacks up the normal story line of this particular universe, and belongs in a completely different one. There have been many books and comics by Dark horse on both the Aliens and Predator and a combination of both, pushing back into the late 80's. This is one of the few books that give you a perspective on wha ...more
Jaime Contreras
This book was released in 1994, years before the first film that pits these two creatures against each other. In this first novel, Machiko Noguchi must deal with the discovery that both the predator and Alien have come to the colony of Ryushi near Prosperity Wells. This book makes the first cooperative teaming of human and predator. This is a great action science fiction novel. It is a must for AVP fans.
Tedward
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and the subsequent avp stories.
Predators are awesome, so are aliens. Put them together and you just get awesomness all round.
Beka
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it
A good premise, though I could do without all the cursing.
Steven Betz
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I Read this when i was in High school, and no other book has been able to capture me like it.I couldnt put this down and demolished it in 1 day. This lead me to more of Steve perrys work, as i am an avid sci fi reader, i did finish this trilogy which i believe Steven Perry co wrote. Unlike previous Reviews; I read this precedeing any of the alien versus predator movies. I feel the reason, I didnt enjoy the Movies as much is was because i was expecting a much more complex relationship between the ...more
Ethan Parkin
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moves at a quick enough pace to keep you interested and some of the visuals are pretty cool. The characters names are a little confusing at times but it is ultimately harmless fun for any Alien vs Predator vs Humans fan.
Fred Lusk
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this one a few years ago.. It is pretty good.. a little different..
Kirsten Tattersall
Why was this so damn good?? This was better than it had any right to be.
Jean-Francois Boivin
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aliens-predator
Adaptation of the very popular first AvP comic series by Randy Stradley from 1990. Co-written by father-daughter team, it is a straightforward adaptation with bits and pieces of new scenes taking place before, between and/or after scenes from the comics. But the major MAJOR contribution that the Perrys did was to add the Predator point of view.

A lot of words from their language are revealed, including the names of their weapons, ship & equipment. It is very interesting to read how the yautja
Rob
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci fi/Movie/Monster fans
James
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Surprisingly engaging and a fun, fast read (okay, I may have put it down because of distractions and stuff). So far, the best example of the "Aliens Vs. Predators" fiction while hitting on a lot of familiar beats from the Alien franchise (blue collar workers and people of low-rung standing, a overseeing corporate presence, strong female lead who has to steel herself to a difficult situation and dig deep within to find perseverance, etc.) While it can feel like it's connecting dots, it does somet ...more
B. Reese
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this in 8th grade, probably at least twice since.

The cover says it all. In fact, the cover is so awesome, even i got some positive attention from my peers when i was carrying it around. My friend, Larry the Ninja was quite taken with it.

At any rate, this book is what the AVP should have been. A future story in the alien universe, on a colony planet. And the predators decided to turn it into a game preserve. With xenomorphs.

This book is so awesome, the first AVP movie pretty much stole tha
Carmaletta Hilton
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I give it 3 stars, but lean a little more toward 3.5. The story started pretty slowly, but once everyone was on Ryushi and the action started, everything really picked up. I flew through the last half of the book. I don't usually read sci-fi, and this book was borrowed and read as a recommendation. Turns out, the story was pretty good, and having already seen AVP, I found it pretty interesting. Also, I'm not usually a fan of epilogues, but this one really added something. Not only did we see the ...more
Jodie
I love this book. It's my go to book when I feel like toughening up and getting serious about something! Reading this book gives me a back bone!

Machiko Noguchi is possibly one of the coolest female lead characters ever! I'd love to meet her. She is written so well- tough and capable, yet still very much human.

5 stars :)

As so many other people have said, why didn't they turn this into a movie rather then the incredibly stupid and disappointing AvP films they have made lately??
Angel
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science_fiction
This one did not take long to finish once I found the time. If you have seen the films, odds are good you may like books in this series. For me, the book was interesting because it gave more insight into the culture of the predators. The action is pretty good, and the ending pretty much goes along with Noguchi's character. A light entertaining read.
Crispin
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Absolutely love this book, don't get me wrong it's not amazingly written or particularly original in any way. However, you really feel for the characters and easily identify with them. This book is what the film aliens vs predator should have been based on and unfortunately wasn't. A good read, not challenging but it fills the aAvP hole in my life very well thank you :)
Hebah
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This was surprisingly better than the first 30 or so pages promised. It's definitely pulpy alien-fighting story, but the pleasantly diverse cast gave it a little something extra, and it ended on an unexpected note.
John Opalenik
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Basically the novelization of the original Alien vs Predator comic book. As always, the original was better.

The book and comic were both way better than the movies though. They should have just used this as a script and we would have been all set.
Blake H
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just can't help but think why didn't they make the movie more like the book. They took only bits and pieces, then threw it in a terrible storyline. This is a very entertaining book and a quick read. If you are a fan of the franchise I highly recommend you read it.
Patrick Osborne
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Being a big fan of both the Alien and the Predator franchises when I was a kid, it comes as no surprise I was drawn to this series.

You can read my full review here: http://ozmosisbookmarked.blogspot.ca/...
Sam
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In this book is a whole new world viewed by both humans and a species known to us as Predators. There is a war and humanity is smack-dab in the middle of it. Which side will we choose and how will we survive?
Angelo
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book. If you are a fan of the comics, toys, or movies, then you will love this book. Way better then the movies. I hope they remake the movies and follow this story. It is a blockbuster. Must read if you are a true Alien vs Predator fan.
Justin
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the graphic novel that this was based on, and thought this superbly conveyed the spirit, tension and characters of the comic, even when telling the story from the Predators' perspective. I would confidently say that this is the strongest novel from the Aliens and AvP series!
Ann Sosnowski
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was fast paced and gave some great back story about the relationship between aliens and predators (the yautja). Machiko is a great character with good depth. I'm pleasantly surprised and looking forward to the next one.
Christopher
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
OK, so I am really giving this one its star rating based off of how much I enjoyed it as a pre-teen, not to much how much I would expect I would enjoy it now. But then again...it was really fun as were the comics of that era.
  • Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 2)
  • Aliens vs. Predator: War (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 3)
  • Predator: Concrete Jungle
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • Aliens: DNA War
  • Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Batman vs. Predator
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Aliens
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Aliens Omnibus, Vol. 1
Steven Carl Perry has written over fifty novels and numerous short stories, which have appeared in various magazines and anthologies. Perry is perhaps best known for the Matador series. He has written books in the Star Wars, Alien and Conan universes. He was a collaborator on all of the Tom Clancy's Net Force series, seven of which have appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list. Two of his no ...more
More about Steve Perry...

Aliens Vs. Predator (4 books)
  • Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 2)
  • Aliens vs. Predator: War (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 3)
  • Aliens Vs Predator Omnibus Vol 1: Prey, Hunter's Planet