Start by marking “Version Control By Example” as Want to Read:
Version Control By Example

Version Control By Example

This book uses practical examples to explain version control with both centralized and decentralized systems. Topics covered include:

Basic version control commands and concepts
Introduction to Distributed Version Control Systems (DVCS)
Advanced branching workflows
Strengths and weaknesses of DVCS vs. centralized tools
Best practices
How distributed version control works under t
ebook
Published July 2011 by Pyrenean Gold Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Version Control By Example, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Version Control By Example

Wybe
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: office
A very comprehensible description of the most used version management tools, and how to perform basic, and even slightly more advanced tasks.

The book is well written, with just enough humour and understandable examples to keep the reader engaged. I keep it at the office as a quick reference guide for myself, and as an introduction to version management for new coworkers.

It misses out on the really complex stuff, but that is not the goal of this book.
Dávid Molnár
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book! It gives you a short introduction to version control systems.
Animesh
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think this book is a perfect introduction to Version Control Systems. Even though it does not dive into the advanced specifics of any one particular VCS, it manages to cover the most needed aspects of all the popular VCS in a well formed manner. In my opinion people who have zero VCS knowledge to people who have some intermediate level exposure to VCS, will benefit the most out of this book. I am also pretty sure that even the experts will not be in for a disappointment when they read this boo ...more
S
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fact
Using examples based on Git, Mecurial and Veracity (never heard of it before the book (and the author was involved in its development)), it's a nice primer on version control, especially distributed, and a good book to hand to someone coming from a world where their hard drive is full of copies of copies of files and folders that started off based on dates and then those dates were not distinct enough and then they started adding letters, but ran out of them too, and so on.

Straight forward and c
Alex Poovathingal
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to Version Control Systems. It starts with a history and overview of different generations of version control systems. Then it explains a scenario and over the next several chapters goes into how different VCS like SVN, Git, Mercurial and Veracity can be used in these scenarios. This is not a book from which you can learn how to use a VCS properly. It's an intro guide which will give you the context about how and why these systems were developed. It also explains about 4 of t ...more
Alex
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
It's a great book (probably the best one) for someone who is just learning how to use version control systems. It's also a great book for experienced professionals who use VCS daily, but at the same time don't feel that they have a good foundation and just use those commands without good understanding what they are exactly doing.
Steve
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good intro and general overview of the various, more popular version control systems. An easy read with good information mixed with a bit of humor to keep it light. Filled with examples and scenarios. A good place to start if you're new to VCSs or if you're contemplating the switch to a distributed VCS.
Kartik Singhal
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kartik by: Ershad Kunnakkadan
Really good book for somebody new to version control systems. Presents 4 different such systems with a detailed example (since the example case taken is same, you can happily skip many pages of reading).

Author could have added more detail about how Veracity can version control databases, instead of diving deep into its API etc. details.

Overall an awesome book.
Philip
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice short read for beginners. The author gave good examples of using each type of version control system (SVN, Mercurial, Git, Veracity) with clear explanations. As a fairly experienced user of SVN and Git, however, I didn't get much new information.
Camille
So far, so educational. I can't believe the number of times this book has come up in conversation in the last few weeks. I am thinking in a version controlly kinda way now, I just need to sit down and get my hands dirty.
Moshi
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It does a good job explaining the advantages and disadvantages of DVCS compared to CVCS, and intorducing the two popular DVCS. One part of the book is devoted to Veracity, a DVCS made by Eric Sink's company. That part is somewhat biased, but still readable.
Ingus Rūķis
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite a nice read if you're looking at migration to some DVCS. Even though we're not using DVCS at the moment it still looks like it might be a very close future when we migrate to it.
Vairis
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: en, science
Little bias because author works in company, developing one of the tools described but good to start reading about Version Control. Well written.
Chris
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
A comprehensive introduction to using distributed and non-distributed version control systems.
Aija
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ
Good one for beginners and those who want to fill holes in their knowledge.
Has best practices list that everyone should be following if they don't do it already.
Dwight Walker
It looks useful to get my act together re version control in my software and Web projects.
Juan Agüí
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Might be useful for DVCS newcomers but I wouldn't recommend it for experienced readers.
David
Sreejith Kesavan
Dec 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“RCS was the first version control tool I used. When I was at Spyglass, we had a team of 50 or so developers across three platforms using RCS on a shared code base. Since RCS never had support for networking, people on Windows and Mac had to log in to the Sun workstation that hosted RCS, FTP their code changes up there, and then check them in from the Unix shell. It was an interesting experience just trying to get all that to work.” 0 likes
“Your chances of winning the Powerball lottery are far better than finding a hash collision. After all, lotteries often have actual winners. The probability of a hash collision is more like a lottery that has been running since prehistoric times and has never had a winner and will probably not have a winner for billions of years.” 0 likes