Start by marking “The Black Magician Trilogy (Black Magician, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Black Magician Trilogy (Black Magician, #1-3)

The Black Magician Trilogy

(The Black Magician Trilogy #1-3)

Paperback
Published July 22nd 2011 by Zatpix (first published January 26th 2006)

Tom Whalley
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm choosing a trilogy to record as my 60th book, deal.

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, on first glance, is pleasant, uncomplex, and nostalgic. It's a nice counter to the kind of fantasy that I've been seeing published lately; this isn't dark, it's not grim and gritty, it's just a story of a young girl going to wizard school and becoming super badass. It's not a challenge. I'll never call it a challenge. What it is though, is deceptive.

The Black Magician trilogy follows the story of Sone
Pixie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is going to be a looooooooong review.
First, I must say that had I read this trilogy as a teenager, I’d probably have loved it.
However, being a literature scholar and well, slightly older, I can’t overlook its flaws, and I am infuriated by the fact that most of them to me, are due to a poor editing job.

For example:
- two many pages in book 2 and 3 are devoted to summarizing the previous book(s). WHO buys the 2nd or 3rd installment in a series without having read the previous ones? An edito
Nici
Feb 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
The story itself was good, however there's too much rambling on about nothing and most parts are totally unimportant to the story. Sometimes I only read two or three sentences per page and I still got the overall meaning (as I said, the idea of the story is quite OK). Wouldn't bother to read it again though.
Heatrid Masecere
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Characters are so poorly written, they do suicidally stupid things. Action scenes are well written, but the flow is bad, introduction is bad, and characters are really fucking bad. Could not read to the end, 2/10, not worth reading.
First book is kinda okay in the middle, I guess.
Megan
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading these books. In my opinion the storylines are brilliant and the writing technique is very good. I would recomend these books to anyone who likes magic and adventure.
Jessica Collins
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This trilogy is so good. I started reading whilst at a holiday cottage and had to smuggle the books back with me :) I would and have recommended this set to all ages. I loved Sonea and Akkarin, I was devastated by the ending. It is one of those stories that you think about long after you've read the last sentence.
Kamron Brooks
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
This series was, in my opinion, lazy. The so-called "twists" were easy to anticipate, the writing style was boring, the descriptive text minimally descriptive. Easy reading for younger readers if you think they can handle a thin smear of violence.
Miiiaa
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best fantasy books that i have read so far
Gaëlle Wal
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading those books.

The story of the two first books could be described in a sentence each, but it's so well-written and breath-taking that you can't put them down. The third book is the icing on the cake and will let you wanted to wander this imaginary world forever.

I loved all the characters and I love the fact that we follow several of them, in different sub-stories. The many unexpected plots and twists were the final argument to make that trilogy one of my all time favorites.
Ана Хелс
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Може би съм една от малкото фентъзийни читателки на света въобще, които никога, ама хич, ама съвсем не са и помирисвали Хари Потър в книжна форма, а във филмова бързо ги е отегчил, но въпреки това са затънали яко в дълбоката прегръдка на фентъзито като основен жанр в предпочитаното ежедневие, изсмукващ финанси и време на ежеминутна база. Защото не е една Роулинг на света, и каквото е създала, не е откровение свише, а просто сравнително читава история, порастваща със своите първоначални читатели. ...more
Toyin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has got to be one of my favourite books of all time. I've got this trilogy in paperback and again on my kindle. The novice is one of my favourite books of all time, and my copy is practically in tatters. I've done a full review of these books please check out my YouTube channel in the link below
Ivana
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very nice young adult magic fantasy books. I would recommend it to someone beginning on the fantasy-read path! :D
Maria Tigermoln
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Sonia and the world she lives in.
Shinobi
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The way a magician school series should be written (Hrmpph Harry Potter is overrated hrmph)
Whamipng
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love these books. Powerfull, however very human main character, nice slowly evolving romance, the world is built perfectly, a lot of history included. Very smart book for YA.
Mathilde Fruchard
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing bookseries that I found myself completely engrossed in !
Paul Russell
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite series. I honestly don't understand any of the bad ratings that it has received. I strongly recommend these for many reasons. Strong female characters, emotionally gripping plot content, overall great story. Read em.
Idris
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although I’m a huge fan of fantasy and magic, I haven’t had the opportunity to read many books of this topic, and the trilogy of The Black Magician by Trudi Cavanan was one of them. I picked up the first book, The Magicians' Guild, only to try it out. I didn’t know the synopsis, but the cover was pretty interesting. Yes I know, its white, and only have a person with a hood, but it got my attention, so I bought it, and I read it.

The first book, The Magicians' Guild, takes place in a fantasy worl
Veronika
Jun 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Barely good enough for 1 star.

I have picked up this trilogy and "Age of the Five" trilogy by the same author as a bit of light summer reading, since I love good fantasy, and this was recommended as such. I have since regretted the wasted money and time.

tl;dr - do not bother with these books, and probably not with the author overall - not unless you like reading about brainless, willpower-less, useless females who tend to lust after their older teacher/instructor figures. Based on the fact that t
Sarah Matts
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a perfectly average enjoyable fantasy trilogy. The writing is good, the characters aren't ground breaking, but the story is solid enough. One of the nice things about this trilogy was that it has obviously been planned as a full story arc, so you don't get that effect of the first book having the story finished, and the second two having the "we wrote these because the first one did well" problem that some trilogys have.
I'm re-reading it at the moment having read it before, and in a seco
Katarina
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
So I've seen this book countless times and it hasn't made me want to read...but after I read another series which I loved ...I looked for similar books...and it popped up... While I started reading the first book I knew right out it would become one of my fave series. It just draws you in and doesn't let you out... After I finished the first book I looked up how many books there are ( I didn't know that it was a trilogy) and you can't imagine my disappointment when I found out it's a trilogy...I ...more
LOL_BOOKS
Simran
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!! it was the first ever trilogy of Trudi that i've read. The story flows smoothly, truly unpredictable. You'll find yourself loving every character and falling inlove with most of the characters personalities. I've read the first and second book twice and the third Three times!!! My personal fave is Akkarin. WHY?

SPOILER!!

he is a very good friend ( to Lorren - I envy their friendship) and the best leader. He took responsiblity for his doings..aww AKKARIN, Is there no way you can come b
Iman Eyitayo
Cette trilogie est fort sympathique, mais a un rythme très particulier: un 1er tome axé sur la traque, un 2e sur l'insertion de Sonea puis un 3e sur le dénouement. J'ai beaucoup aimé le 3e T (beaucoup d'action), mais moins les 2 premiers qui étaient à mon sens, extrêmement lents mais dans le même temps assez immersifs. Du coup, à la fin, on a vraiment la prétention de connaitre les personnages. Vous allez donc commencer dans le vif, puis être baladé d'histoires de commérage en débats politiques, ...more
Schuyler
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can't be objective about these books-- I read them for the first time when I was 9, and reread them so many times over the next few years that my paperback copies (which I dug out from the back of a bookshelf a couple of weeks ago) are practically falling apart. Reading them again now has given me more perspective on the quality of the writing (not flawless, slow & predictable in parts), but I still love the world and the characters to pieces.

Would recommend if you want some fun escapism &am
Rocio
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it

Decía q esta trilogía había que verla como un solo libro,así q así es como lo voy a comentar.
Me encanto, creo q Trudi creo un maravilloso mundo,siempre me sorprende la habilidad que tienen algunos autores para hacer eso. El concepto es muy bueno y creo que lo desarrollo de forma espectacular.
Respecto a los personajes me encanta la forma en q van creciendo y van evolucionando a medida que avanzan los libros,todos y cada uno tienen una gran transformación. Amo a Sonea,amo a Rothen,amo a Akkarin,a
Nisia
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't like my fantasy book to have too much romance in it. I mean, I am looking for fantasy novel here not a romance novel with a supernatural background. I'm not saying any fantasy book souldn't have a romance in it but it should have not been the main focus on the story. But this books change my mind completely. I mean you can see the romance take a big part of the story especially on the last half of the story. But Even so It's not a cliche kind of love story and do have it's own intrude th ...more
Taruna
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kaysa
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Soooo engrossing. Well-written, amazing plot and wonderful characters. I would recommend these books 100 times!

---

Even after so many years, this trilogy is still one of my favourites. I am a picky reader, hard to impress and easily restless/impatient with books (as evident from my ratings). But this trilogy was satisfying, engrossing and very impressive. Qualities that I look for in books, and often don't find; which makes me appreciate these books even more.

Pavi
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
***Spoiler alert***
I can't really think of anything to say. I am almost gieving for Akkarin, and Lorlen. And what a harsh fate for Sonea to stay behind.
Such a great loss.
why did he have to die????
Thank you Ms. Canavan. Great job at making great characters and then kill them so that we can cry nuts for people that don't even exist!!!

Do not read the book without a supply of tissues. This is like the Titanic but with wizards.
Heartbreaking.
  • Cancun (Bad Boys on the Beach, #1)
  • Exiled to Iowa. Send Help. And Couture
  • Superhelden.nl (Superhelden.nl, #1)
  • The "Wonderful" Wizard of Futhermucking Oz (Futhermucking Classics #1)
  • Legacy of Hunger (Druid's Brooch #1)
  • Wiedźmin (Saga o Wiedźminie, #1-7)
  • Edge of Forever
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • Why I Love Geeks (Why I Love... #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Crimson Heart (Highland Hearts, #3)
  • Falling Down
  • First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Path of a Novice (The Silvan, #1)
  • #First Impressions #Second Chances
  • Prophet of the Badlands (The Awakened, #1)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
  • The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)