Start by marking “Fifty Years in Chains (African American)” as Want to Read:
Fifty Years in Chains (African American)

Fifty Years in Chains (African American)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Charles Ball's simply stated verbal account of the shocking events in his life provides gripping details of Southern slavery before the Civil War. His recollections and observations encompass the manner in which he was treated by planters and slaveholders in Maryland, South Carolina, and Georgia; the conditions and treatment of other slaves; the state of morals among cotto ...more
Published October 17th 2003 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1859)

To ask other readers questions about Fifty Years in Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Years in Chains

Bfisher
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd read Frederick Douglass's autobiography "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave" some time ago, and recently read Olaudah Equiano's "The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano"; this book covers the intervening years when King Cotton was young, and tells of the life of Charles Bell, a slave from Maryland, who was sold into slavery on a cotton and rice plantation in South Carolina, escaped North back to Maryland, was eventually reenslaved, and escaped aga ...more
A
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This man's journey was incredible! Though this book is plainly written, you will find yourself walking in Charles footsteps. I was moved beyond words at his descriptions of life as a slave, I feared for him as he ecsaped, cried for him when he was captured, and rejoiced when he found his way.
I was so moved by his story that I mapped his first escape north in order to fully comprehend the amount of territory he was trying to cover in order to get back to his family.

I can honestly say, I have nev
Sadeqa Johnson
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoying reading books about slavery written by a person who actually lived through the events. I thought this book was well written. A first hand account of what it was like as a slave in the brutal south and the sheer will to escape not only once but twice.
Jane Cook
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must-read look into slavery and the courage of a man who escaped it more than once.
Fátima López Sevilla
It's always interesting to know the atrocities and horrors slaves had to go through, but somehow all the details present in this autobiography makes one suspicious. Mainly when this one barely remembers what she ate last week or what she's supposed to be doing the next one if it's not written down.
In any case, a very interesting reading, and maybe easier to get to thanks to the '12 years a slave' film and re-edition of the book.
shirley early
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very very sad and good reading.

Very sad and very good reading. Really enjoyed reading this book.
I
Sometimes there are evil so-called white me. In this word.
There are evil men still to this day.

I will continued reading t

Frances Weidner
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical

The brutal experiences of the author's slavery sufferings lead the reader into the shameful brutality that took away dignity of each person bought and sold in slavery. I began reading this book as part of research on the,history of slavery in this country.
Ann
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an audiobook on LibriVox.

Wendy
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2012
Amazing how articulate and well he remembered the most minute details.
Elizabeth M. Lindzy
A good read.

Hard to put down. Reads like a novel. Seams a bit of a stretch concerning truthfulness, but still a good read.
Delia Parker-Bailey
I have read many books covering the horrendous subject of slavery but this first person narrative by an extraordinary man about his courageous adventures, made me feel I was with him all the way!
Simone
Marianne
Jul 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Free on Gutenburg 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 01:58PM
Charles Ball (1780 or 1781- ) was an Afro-American slave, best known for his account as a fugitive.

More about Charles Ball...