Start by marking “Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT” as Want to Read:
Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT

Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Before the term hacking became associated with computers, MIT undergraduates used it to describe any activity that took their minds off studying, suggested an unusual solution to a technical problem, or generally fostered nondestructive mischief. The MIT hacking culture has given us such treasures as police cars and cows on the Great Dome, a disappearing door to the Presid ...more
Published March 14th 2003 by MIT Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Nightwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightwork

Philitsa
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is one of the few books that I stopped reading part of the way through. The thing read like a dictionary (not even an encyclopedia!). With such an interesting topic, I would think that it would be hard to write a boring book, but here it is!

The book "details" visual pranks pulled at MIT over the years, but with little detail (i.e. "and the dome got decorated like R2D2..."). There is very little how, or why, or reaction from the public chronicled, which is what I expected and what makes the
Noiresque
Sep 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, I wish GoodReads had a more sophisticated review system, because I would use one for this review.

The subject matter is fantastic. I love reading about and participating in pranks/hacks, so a book about this sort of thing at MIT is bound to be good. When I was growing up, Real Genius was one of my favorite movies. I was so excited about going to college, because I figured that it would be half high-tech classes and half hi jinks. Little did I know...

Anyway, the subject matter is delightful,
Jun 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any nerd who's ever been shoved into a locker -- and then plotted her revenge
Shelves: non-fiction
An amusing survey of the best hacks perpetrated by M.I.T.'s student body over the past century (and then some). Were the photography of slightly better quality, this would be the ultimate coffee table book for the geekish household. Of course, given the short lifespan of most of these hacks, one can understand why some of the pictures are less than perfectly framed.

I wish this book had provided a bit more insight into the school's culture of hackerdom, rather than repeatedly brushing over the su
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the more sophisticated form of college tomfoolery
I received Nightwork : A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT as a birthday present from my brother.

A relatively slim (173 pgs) oversized volume, Peterson discusses the tradition of pranking (known as "hacks") at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston. Unlike many other colleges, MIT adheres to a strict hack code - no permanent damage is to be done, hacks are always anonymous, and there's usually both an element of parody and of the absurd. Technology & creativity also figure hig
Kris
Jun 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Hacking is a long tradition of elaborate pranks at MIT, and this book covers both the hacks themselves, and some of the culture that causes them to thrive. It's impressive that the hacking culture prides itself on both its anonymity and in making sure that its hacks do no harm, which is no doubt why they are so successful. The style can be a bit dry at times, but my main complaint is that there aren't more pictures of the hacks (although there are a fair number of them).
Doc Kinne
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The books was OK, and was a reasonable overview of the subject. I also could have wished for greater illustrations or photographs, but given the subject matter, perhaps its not quite possible.
Jonathan
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
The folks at MIT know how to have fun.
Owen Lindsell
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Exactly what is says on the tin.
Rogue Reader
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: roadtrip
Interesting idea to catalogue and even physically document MIT hacks, some stupid and some brilliant. Wish the photographs were better and captioned; some repetition.
Turnip
Jun 29, 2016
Scott Hansen
Feb 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Unauthorised Access: Physical Penetration Testing for It Security Teams
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own a Shadow (Stealing the Network) (Stealing the Network)
  • A Guide to LATEX: Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced Users
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • Beautiful Security: Leading Security Experts Explain How They Think (Theory In Practice, #28)
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age
  • Worm: The First Digital World War
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • Practical Cryptography
  • Writing Secure Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99