Start by marking “Wish” as Want to Read:
Wish

Wish

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  384 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Bee’s brother, Tommy, knows everything there is to know about sharks. He also knows that his life will be cut short by cystic fibrosis. And so does Bee.

That’s why she wants to make his wish-foundation-sponsored trip to swim with a great white shark an unforgettable memory.

But wishes don’t always come true. At least, not as expected. Only when Bee takes Tommy to meet a fa
Published February 14th 2012 by Ember (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish

Logan LeDuc
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review at: www.loganashleyleduc.com

I really wasn't expecting to like this. I'll admit it, I'm generally a cover buyer. I judge books based on their appearance and seeing this on the shelf just didn't make me want to read it.

But I bought it anyway. Don't ask me why...probably because it was on sale. And usually sale books with meh covers aren't anything to get excited over. But I read it anyway.

And I loved it.

It's not my usual go to storyline but the relationship between Bee and Tommy is s
Amy
A beautifully written story about a boy with cystic fibrosis, told from his older sister’s perspective. Tommy is obsessed with sharks, and through the generosity of a Make-A-Wish-type organization, he’s able to travel to California to swim with great whites. His mother and sister are along for the ride, but mom is generally self-absorbed and man-crazy, so Bee is the acting caregiver. She consoles Tommy when the shark expedition ends up being disappointing - Tommy is lumped together with a group ...more
Leigha's Little Library
This book was fast paced. I did like it, though the mother annoyed me. I get why she is that way, but still!

They are on vacation for their son's wish (similar to the make a wish foundation for cancer patients. He has cystic fibrosis) and the mother is flirting around and leaving them alone to go on dates. That just seemed unusual and cruel to the kids.

(view spoiler)
Eléanore
J'ai reçu ce livre dans une box livresque américaine, "The Book Drop", parce que j'avais envie d'essayer un peu ce concept. Sans la box, je ne pense pas que j'aurais entendu parler de Wish, ou alors je ne me serais pas arrêtée dessus. Il faut dire que je commence à être fatiguée des romans sur les maladies graves. Cependant, ce fut une lecture plutôt agréable et mignonne.
On rencontre ici Bee et son petit frère, Tommy, qui est atteint de la mucoviscidose, une maladie qui touche les poumons et qui
Malak Alali
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel “Wish” by Joseph Monninger is an inspirational and amazing book. This book is about a girl named Bee who has a brother called Tommy that suffers from cystic fibrosis. This disease will shorten his life. Bee wants to help make his dream of diving with great white sharks come true. Bee, Tommy, and their mom travel to San Fransisco to make Tommy’s wish come true. After it was unsuccessful, Bee and Tommy don’t tell their mom and see a famous shark-attack survivor. He takes Tommy into the o ...more
Wendy
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Likes:
A major character is living with CF. I enjoy books that recognize physical and mental diagnoses with taste and a realistic point of view.
Having lived in the San Francisco area, it was nice to "visit" it by reading.
With the movie "Chasing Mavericks" coming out, I enjoyed reading about Mavericks.
I also went on a whale watching tour while reading the book, and it was amusing to read about a similar tour at the same time.

Dislikes:
The banter between Bee and Tommy is only mildly amusing and soun
Brittany
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I started this book because it was short and I just wanted something "light" to read. I really didn't know what to expect, and at first I didn't even think I'd like it. I don't care for sharks nor do I really care about learning about sharks (and it's laden with shark facts). But I gave it a try anyway.

The beginning is the main reason why it's not getting a rating higher than a 3-star. The author kept using the term "challenged kids" in reference to children with intellectual or physical disabil
Arthur Pengerbil
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Level: Grades 6 and up

Bee: 15 years old, class president, good grades, takes care of her little brother Tommy; excited about the family trip to San Francisco’s shark coast.
Tommy: 11 years old, has cystic fibrosis, incredibly smart, obsessed with great white sharks; given the chance to dive with great whites in a cage through a make-a-wish foundation.
Their Mom: constantly flirting, a little distant; ruining their trip to San Francisco by going on a date and not coming back.
Ty Barry: 21 ye
Cathy
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
3 1/2 stars. 15-year-old Bee's brother Tommy, eleven, knows everything there is to know about great white sharks. He also has cystic fibrosis and is often sick. That's why she wants his wish-foundation trip to California to dive in a cage among the sharks to be perfect. But when the dive is cancelled because of rough water and her irresponsible mom stays out all night with a man she met on the plane flying over from New Hampshire, Bee decides to take matters in her own hands. She wants to give T ...more
Sandra
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Bee's little brother Tommy got CF. His biggest passion are sharks. A wish foundation makes it possible that he with his sister and mother can go to California on a boat trip to see sharks but bad weather makes it impossible to go under water. But a visit to Ty and his brother, a surfer who is the survivor of a shark attack, gives the disappointing trip a turn...

Ocean, Sharks, Surfing the book had everything to interest me. Overall it was a neat little book but I had expected more out of it. I re
Kimberly
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bee's younger brother, Tommy, has Cystic Fibrosis which makes it a job just to breathe. He gets the opportunity to have a wish granted. Tommy chooses to swim with a great white shark- an subject he is infatuated with and quite an expert too. The wish falls short when conditions and weather turn his life long desire into a hokey boat ride. He still manages a life altering experience with his sister when they look up a friend who takes them surfing. Against his mother's wishes and his sister's bet ...more
Emily
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ty Barry: 21 years old, survived a shark
Pat
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lone-star
What does Surfing (off California's coast),romance (hot surfer dude with east coast girl), Great White Sharks and an eleven year old boy with CF (Tommy a.k.a Snow Pony) have in common?..."one day, filled all the way up..."-- that's what. Tommy knows that his days are numbered by his cystic fibrosis but that only makes his one "wish" to go down in the cages off the coast of Ca. to swim with the great white sharks with whom he is obsessed that much sweeter. An organization grants his wish and Tomm ...more
Handd51
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting plot centered around an 11-year-old boy with cystic fibrosis and his older sister. Their mother is a bit of a flake, but she does get them a dream tri[p to "swim with the sharks" through a Make-a-Wish-LIKE organization. The Whale and shark watching day trip is something of a dissappointment to shark-fanatic Tommy, tho they do see a shark. But flaky Mom flakes overnight, so the kids take an adventure on their own to visit an e-friend/surfer dude that results in the exci ...more
Heidi
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Bee, 15, and her 11-year-old brother, Tommy, are on a trip to California to sharks. Tommy has cystic fibrosis and the trip is sponsored by an organization which grants wishes to children with serious medical issues. Their mom is along for the ride, but seems more interested in picking up potential new husbands. After she leaves them overnight while on a date, Bee and Tommy leave their hotel to search for Ty, a surfer who survived a shark attack on his surfboard. Ty and his brother set about maki ...more
Idris
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book about an eleven years old boy who has cystic fibrosis and he is passionate about sharks. A wish foundation sends him on a trip to swim with great white sharks. His sister Bee vows to make it an unforgettable memory.

It’s a short story, which tells us a bit more about the lives of children with this disease,(their families) and interesting facts about sharks. The characters were lovely and real. The story was sometimes a little bit predictable but I have a good time reading
Brigette Helton
This book was decent. I liked how it added in a character with a life-threatening illness to add reality to the book but also how the older sister always felt responsible for her younger brother due to his CF. Being a Special Education major, I see this alot with siblings who have younger or even older siblings with health issues or disabilities where they have to grow up a little too fast & you see that within this book.
The real issue I had with this book & this could be just me is that
Liza Wiemer
A touching story about a young boy (Tommy) with cystic fibrosis and his obsession with sharks. Tender characters, really liked the interactions between Tommy and his sister. Lots of great shark facts. The mother was an interesting character, definitely struggling with raising her children and trying to have her own life. I'd love to see teachers encourage their students to read this book - will help MG have an appreciation for the struggles some kids face when they have health issues. There's a ...more
Lydia Kass
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of a young boy with CF who's dream it is to swim with the Great White sharks. His adventure begins in an unsatisfactory way when he finds out he's sharing the tour boat with other school-aged challenged children, but culminates into (a nearly fatal) his lifelong dream when he surfs in California with one of the few survivors of a surfing encounter with a shark that he has befriended. Many metaphors as to who is the shark and the circle of life, etc. Masterfully told from the sister ...more
Heather
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bee loves her little brother more than anything. She knows his time is limited. He suffers from Cystic Fibrosis and she is determined to make his wish come true. He wants to swim with the great white sharks. But when their trip to California to swim with the sharks turns into a big disappointment, Bee is more determined than ever to see his wish come true. Even if this means ditching their mother to go and find Tommy's idol - a surfer who had survived a shark attack. But Bee soon finds out that ...more
Mary Ann
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. It's the story of a girl whose younger brother has cystic fibrosis. She's very dedicated to him, and he's practically a saint but even given that standard setup, you can't help but be captivated by them both. She is determined that he have this Wish (granted by a foundation) and makes sure he does everything he has wanted to do. But does she risk too much? Lots of information about sharks all along the way. Touching and highly readable.
Ms. Patterson
I was a bit disappointed. I thought the set up took too long at the beginning and I really just wanted the story to get going. But, I really loved the concept of this story and I realize it would be difficult to tell without setting up the story. I didn't fully understand the relationship between Bee and her mom. I guess one of those love/hate ones. Not a terrible story. It I just wish the beginning moved faster.
Nicole Dreibelbeis
I really liked this book...the main character Bea had a great relationship with her little brother, Tommy. I enjoyed the romance between Bea and Little Brew, the friendship between Ty and Tommy, and how 3 dimensional the characters seemed. I thought it was very well done and different from anything I've read recently.
Julie
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. I was sad at the end, but I'm not exactly sure why. It was a good read, definitely not a favorite, or one that I would say is my type exactly, but it was a book that made me think and so I recommend it to anyone, especially someone that's not particularly familiar with sharks-great white to be specific.
-J
Jen Bojkov
Story of Tommy and Bee and there day of adventure on the CA coast. Tommy has cystic fibrosis and has a wish to swim with a great white shark. They do the next best thing and go out with a surfer who has been attacked by a great white and lived to tell about it. The day is not what they expected. Another great read by Monninger. He knows how to spin a tale about ordinary kinds of people.
Justine
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the idea of this book is so awesome. I love that it's about sharks and how we need to live in harmony with them. I also like that there is a disabled character and I like that both of the characters are dealing with the illness and their mother. I also really enjoyed the shark tips. And I give props to the author because he is a man writing from the perspective of a teenage girl.
StorySnoops
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish is a wonderful and dramatic read about the relationship between Bee and Tommy. Bee's deep understanding of Tommy's emotional needs leads her to take a large risk in order to fulfill a dream for her brother. Tommy knows more than most adults about...(click here for full review: http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Janet
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really held my interest. The main character was typical of a lot of boys I see in my school library -- really into sharks (or snakes, or dinosaurs, or cars, etc.) His older sister was loving, yet impulsive and the situation in which they found themselves can happen all too soon to young kids.
Cinda
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful story of love and sacrifice between siblings and friends and strangers. Since I'm vacationing in Huntington Beach, the subjects of sharks and surfing are particularly close right now.

[Will Bee's brother's disease prevent him from his dream of swimming with sharks?]
Squeaky
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bee, her mother, and her brother who has CF go on a Make-A-Wish kind of trip to San Francisco to see Great White Sharks near the
Farallon Islands. Things don't quite work out as they planned. Good story, read it right through. Now what do I do?
My Strange Book A...: This topic has been closed to new comments. November 2012 17 4 Jan 02, 2013 06:05PM
  • Paintings from the Cave: Three Novellas
  • Take Me to the River
  • Notes from an Accidental Band Geek
  • Class Favorite
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
  • Everybody Bugs Out (Annabelle Unleashed)
  • Solving Zoe
  • Me, In Between
  • Hidden
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • How to Survive Middle School
  • The Sweetheart of Prosper County
  • Kiss It
  • The Fourth Stall (The Fourth Stall, #1)
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Invisible Girl
  • Little Blog on the Prairie
  • Caddy's World (Casson Family, #0)
Joseph Monninger has published novels for adults and teens and three works of nonfiction. The New York Times Book Review has said of Monninger that he “comes to writing with his five sense wide open”. His work has appeared in American Heritage, Scientific American, Readers Digest, Glamour, Playboy, Story, Fiction, The Boston Globe, Sports Illustrated and Ellery Queen, among other publications. He ...more
More about Joseph Monninger...