Start by marking “Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide” as Want to Read:
Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide: is an introductory Android book for programmers with Java experience. Based on Big Nerd Ranch's popular Android Bootcamp course, this guide will lead you through the wilderness using hands-on example apps combined with clear explanations of key concepts and APIs. This book focuses on practical techniques for developing apps c ...more
Published April 7th 2013 by Big Nerd Ranch Guides (first published January 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Android Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Android Programming

Hosein
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: android, programming
A great book to start programming, I look at it as a reference. nearly all the stuff you need to write an application is discussed in this book. I also enjoyed reading it because an application is simultaneously completing as you are reading it through. I finally recommend it to all the IT students who want to Start making Android App.
Yoly
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to either use to learn Android development or just to use as a refresher. Recently updated in their 3rd edition, so the content is very fresh.
Utsav Parashar
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book with lots of practical examples. Perfect beginner to advance material.
Ilya
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
На мой взгляд, лучшая книга для начинающих разработчиков под Android.
Плавно погружает в тему с самых основ и до довольно сложных вещей. Всё это на конкретных примерах. Охватывает широкий круг тем.
Однозначно рекомендую всем, кто хочет научиться создавать приложения под Android. Одной этой книги будет достаточно, чтобы стать джуном.
Kirill Chernikov
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite Android Development book I've read so far. Thanks to concisely content, I found out diverse ways of handling development problems. Not to mention the author's sense of humor which is absolutely tremendous. Definitely must-read book for anyone who wants to make the first steps in Android Development journey.
Abbas
One of the best technical books I have read, teaching you android development by employing best practices in an step-by-step and simple fashion; the only things missing were Unit testing and Android UX.
Lars Ole Christoffersen
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good introduction to Android Programming. I have a background in JAVA programming and found this book an excellent introduction to android programming
Alexander Yakushev
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great for learning the current best practices of Android development. It's very well written, full of important details and useful tasks.
Hendro Chen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Systematic and easy to understand good practices.
Hakan Yorgancı
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was precise and effective for beginners. With online tutorials if you also follow this book at the same time you will have very stable basics for application development in Android environment.
Xanan
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book introduces and explains basic Android concepts through a series of example applications that are each built and improved across a series of consecutive chapters. Each chapter provides step-by-step instructions that guide you through improving the current application.
When interaction with Android Studio is required snapshots are often provided. Code snippets show incremental modifications to apply in the form of additions and removals to the current code.
The book is quite readable and ea
César Díez Sánchez
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having in consideration that I read the 2nd edition published in August 2015 I have to say the content is good. I was able to review some important internals of Android like Processes and Tasks and interesting Intent related stuff. At least 1/3 of the book is outdated but it might have been fixed with the third edition of the book. Really good book for beginners :-)
Juris
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: android
This is good book for starting Android development journey.
I can't find better books instead of this.
Before You start, You need experience with Java and OOP.
I wish this book have more explanations and references to Android programming resources, sites, videos, developer documentation e.t.c.
I hope the next edition will be in Kotlin.
Sanmi
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
A brilliant introduction to android app development.
Dmytro
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book which is updated regarding Android SDK updates.
Lots of useful examples with great explanation.
Include Android application architecture discussions
Justin Smith
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Hands on but deep enough to explain what's happening.
Haunted Eyes
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hhh
best book for android programming...
Scott
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the perfect learning book on Android Programming but it's very good. I only have a couple of quibbles with how some content was presented. I don't have the first edition of this but suspect if you do, you probably don't need this second edition. They do cover some of the differences that come with Lollipop (e.g. RecyclerView) with a bit of discussion about why the new stuff is better but it's not a large part of the book. The last chapter on Material Design was disappointing and only ...more
ambivalent_crab
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
I've tried a number of different resources like books and online courses, and this book is way ahead of them.
This book does just the right thing for someone unfamiliar with Android concepts. It doesn't overwhelm you with rephrased documentation that you can lookup yourself. It doesn't give you a written application and asks you to change a couple of lines in it.
Instead, this book works with you and explains concepts as clearly as it can get. Numerous times I would have a question and start to
Jaroslav Tuček
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is easily one of the most enjoyable technical books I've read in years. It provides an excellent coverage of the entire Android platform, getting beginners quickly up to speed, and while none of the topics can be realistically expected to be discussed in depth, by the end of the book you will have obtained sufficient understanding of the system to be able to quickly find any required details in the reference.

The writing style is clear and concise, and the way the material is presented by wa
Rob
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
In general, I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way they structured it, and the necessity for digging around and mucking about in the code. Each extension to the apps made sense in the way they built upon each other.

What I felt I was missing after finishing this was more of a "big picture" view. It felt that I was almost entirely in the details, and didn't have enough pauses to put together the architectural details. Perhaps if there had been a high level summary or preview before diving int
Brian
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you want to learn Android programming on your own, get this book.

Clearly written, well-paced, and with examples that actually work, plus there is an active web forum (where the Big Nerd Ranch folks will answer your questions) if you get stuck.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. One of the best programming books I've ever come across.

David Crowder
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was able to publish an application to Google Play using this book. All of the skills to create a fundamental and engaging Android application are in this book. A must-read if you are looking to begin Android programming but don't know where to start.
Prasad Jachak
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I deployed enterprise application using code from this book..Its Upto date book and shifted my android skills to next level..
Sofía
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Great book for beginners!
Juan Jose
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book with a lot of examples.
Fxrcode
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coding
The best introduction to Android book in the market. Got it 1 week before released.
Shubhra
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical-books
The best technical book for Android Programming thus far! Highly recommend it.
Daniel
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
lot of great examples. It was well explained, and I got a good understanding of the programming involved.
Nikita Zhuk
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good overall intro to Android programming.
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • Core Java, Volume 1: Fundamentals
  • Professional Android 4 Application Development
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Pro Git
  • Android Hacker's Handbook
  • Letting Go: A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“we suggest going to sleep for a couple of years. Then you can wake up and learn Android programming once Gingerbread devices no longer make up a meaningful share of the market.” 1 likes
“not enough decisions to make, you can also use the debugger to catch exceptions. Go back and comment out the line where you assign mQuestionTextView one more time. Then select Run → Add Java Exception Breakpoint... to pull up the exception breakpoint dialog. Figure 4.10  Setting” 0 likes