Start by marking “Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide” as Want to Read:
Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide: is an introductory Android book for programmers with Java experience. Based on Big Nerd Ranch's popular Android Bootcamp course, this guide will lead you through the wilderness using hands-on example apps combined with clear explanations of key concepts and APIs. This book focuses on practical techniques for developing apps c ...more
Published April 7th 2013 by Big Nerd Ranch Guides (first published January 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Android Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Android Programming

Start your review of Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
Eric Brooke
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book. The journey through this book teaches many things to build a strong foundation to be Android Programmer. It teaches things that you would never do in the wild but, you need to understand why. The curious and challenges sections are gold.

I have given 4 out of 5 stars, because it could be better.

Educational Approach and Visual design
It is a lot of text. First by getting someone to break down the chapters into sections, particularly the longer longer chapters e.g. nine.
Yoly
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to either use to learn Android development or just to use as a refresher. Recently updated in their 3rd edition, so the content is very fresh.
Utsav Parashar
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book with lots of practical examples. Perfect beginner to advance material.
Nitish Bhatt
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
a good refresher
Sepideh
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
This book took me two years to read. The third edition of this book has come out since the time that I started reading this book.

This is a big book that can teach you how to write programs for Android using Java. One of the useful features of this book is the forum where you can research issues that you might be having. Sometimes, the technology changes so rapidly that it is really useful to have something like that.
Kirill Chernikov
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite Android Development book I've read so far. Thanks to concisely content, I found out diverse ways of handling development problems. Not to mention the author's sense of humor which is absolutely tremendous. Definitely must-read book for anyone who wants to make the first steps in Android Development journey.
Abbas
One of the best technical books I have read, teaching you android development by employing best practices in an step-by-step and simple fashion; the only things missing were Unit testing and Android UX.
Hendro Chen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Systematic and easy to understand good practices.
Hakan Yorgancı
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was precise and effective for beginners. With online tutorials if you also follow this book at the same time you will have very stable basics for application development in Android environment.
Lars Ole Christoffersen
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good introduction to Android Programming. I have a background in JAVA programming and found this book an excellent introduction to android programming
Alexander Yakushev
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great for learning the current best practices of Android development. It's very well written, full of important details and useful tasks.
Xanan
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book introduces and explains basic Android concepts through a series of example applications that are each built and improved across a series of consecutive chapters. Each chapter provides step-by-step instructions that guide you through improving the current application.
When interaction with Android Studio is required snapshots are often provided. Code snippets show incremental modifications to apply in the form of additions and removals to the current code.
The book is quite readable and ea
Juris
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: android
This is good book for starting Android development journey.
I can't find better books instead of this.
Before You start, You need experience with Java and OOP.
I wish this book have more explanations and references to Android programming resources, sites, videos, developer documentation e.t.c.
I hope the next edition will be in Kotlin.
Cesar Diez Sanchez
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having in consideration that I read the 2nd edition published in August 2015 I have to say the content is good. I was able to review some important internals of Android like Processes and Tasks and interesting Intent related stuff. At least 1/3 of the book is outdated but it might have been fixed with the third edition of the book. Really good book for beginners :-)
Paolo Tormon
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Practical and straight to the point, although I've only been able to read through 30% of the book before deciding to pursue another specialization⁠.

Still, it's perfect for beginners on Android development. Would recommend 10/10
Dmytro
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book which is updated regarding Android SDK updates.
Lots of useful examples with great explanation.
Include Android application architecture discussions
Haunted Eyes
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hhh
best book for android programming...
Justin Smith
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Hands on but deep enough to explain what's happening.
Akin
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book with solutions to complex problems..
Scott
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the perfect learning book on Android Programming but it's very good. I only have a couple of quibbles with how some content was presented. I don't have the first edition of this but suspect if you do, you probably don't need this second edition. They do cover some of the differences that come with Lollipop (e.g. RecyclerView) with a bit of discussion about why the new stuff is better but it's not a large part of the book. The last chapter on Material Design was disappointing and only ...more
ambivalent_crab
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
I've tried a number of different resources like books and online courses, and this book is way ahead of them.
This book does just the right thing for someone unfamiliar with Android concepts. It doesn't overwhelm you with rephrased documentation that you can lookup yourself. It doesn't give you a written application and asks you to change a couple of lines in it.
Instead, this book works with you and explains concepts as clearly as it can get. Numerous times I would have a question and start to
Rob
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
In general, I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way they structured it, and the necessity for digging around and mucking about in the code. Each extension to the apps made sense in the way they built upon each other.

What I felt I was missing after finishing this was more of a "big picture" view. It felt that I was almost entirely in the details, and didn't have enough pauses to put together the architectural details. Perhaps if there had been a high level summary or preview before diving int
Jaroslav Tuček
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is easily one of the most enjoyable technical books I've read in years. It provides an excellent coverage of the entire Android platform, getting beginners quickly up to speed, and while none of the topics can be realistically expected to be discussed in depth, by the end of the book you will have obtained sufficient understanding of the system to be able to quickly find any required details in the reference.

The writing style is clear and concise, and the way the material is presented by wa
Ata Öz
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an amazing book, if you want to be a full stack mobile developer which will develop android apps, read it and implement the apps, this book gives you more than Java language, there are some best practices and working mentality of android that don't change. But it takes too long to finish and understand examples and I didn't even do challenges, it gives a broad understanding how apps work, but in some chapters it shows its age. And there are some libraries do the job this book does with a f ...more
Brian
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you want to learn Android programming on your own, get this book.

Clearly written, well-paced, and with examples that actually work, plus there is an active web forum (where the Big Nerd Ranch folks will answer your questions) if you get stuck.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. One of the best programming books I've ever come across.

Rob
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, and I found it very instructive to work through the examples. If more books did stuff like this, it would be welcome. The projects built upon each other logically, and concepts were introduced at a tractable pace. If I could improve one this it would be to add more big-picture reviews, as sometimes, deep in the details, it becomes hard to see the forest for the trees.
David Crowder
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was able to publish an application to Google Play using this book. All of the skills to create a fundamental and engaging Android application are in this book. A must-read if you are looking to begin Android programming but don't know where to start.
Daniel
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
lot of great examples. It was well explained, and I got a good understanding of the programming involved.
Nikita
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good overall intro to Android programming.
Juan Jose
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book with a lot of examples.

• KOTLIN FOR ANDROID DEVELOPERS: LEARN KOTLIN THE EASY WAY WHILE DEVELOPING AN ANDROID APP
  • Kotlin Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Swift Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • The Big Nerd Ranch Guide: Android Programming, 4/e (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • Head First Java
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
  • Bueno, Bonito y Carito: Cómo diferenciarse para dejar de competir por precio
  • Vision for Life: Ten Steps to Natural Eyesight Improvement
  • Tango With Django: A beginner's Guide to Web Development With Python / Django 1.9
  • Perfect Health: The Complete Mind/Body Guide
  • Perfect Digestion: The Key to Balanced Living
  • Efficient Android Threading: Asynchronous processing techniques for Android applications
  • C++ Primer
  • Lies My Doctor Told Me: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health
  • Gradle for Android

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »