Start by marking “What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People” as Want to Read:
What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People

What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  19,982 ratings  ·  1,258 reviews
He says that's his best offer. Is it?

She says she agrees. Does she?

The interview went great - or did it?

He said he'd never do it again. But he did.

Read this book and send your nonverbal intelligence soaring. Joe Navarro, a former FBI counterintelligence officer and a recognized expert on nonverbal behavior, explains how to "speed-read" people: decode sentiments and behavio
Paperback, First Edition, 250 pages
Published April 15th 2008 by Collins

To ask other readers questions about What Every Body is Saying, please sign up.
Kitty Cami is correct. Sometimes, you can feel like a sardine in a can on the subway during rush hour. The best way to give yourself a bit of breathing room…moreCami is correct. Sometimes, you can feel like a sardine in a can on the subway during rush hour. The best way to give yourself a bit of breathing room is to act like you are mentally unstable. It's amazing how well that works and people will try their hardest to get away from you. :)(less)
Kumari de Silva pretty good, anywhere from a 3 to a 4.5 star read. Fun to start using as soon as you finish the first chapter when people watching at coffee shops or …morepretty good, anywhere from a 3 to a 4.5 star read. Fun to start using as soon as you finish the first chapter when people watching at coffee shops or at work(less)

·  19,982 ratings  ·  1,258 reviews

Start your review of What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
Chrissie
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
OK, I have finished it, and I am glad, although I feel bad because I cannot point out WHY it was not fun to read. It is detailed and absolutely correct, but it lacks spark. It reads like a text book. There is nothing at all wrong with this book, except that it is not fun to read. The author is clearly capable, and a kind and thoughtful person, but his writing skills are too didactic for my taste.

I easily read body language. All that is pointed out seems very obvious to me. That which is pointed
La-Lionne
***2 grade school level stars***

I'm not giving this book two stars because it was bad. The book has a lot of interesting tuff about body language... For a grade schooler!

J. Navarro's observations are good and on point, but they are basic. This book should've been called "Body Language For Dummies"

I've always been fascinated by body language, being able to see what people aren't telling. Words may lie, but body cannot. It's like a reflex that you cannot control. I'm sure there are people that ar
Hamad
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book name is a pun and it is about body language!
My body is so ready (see what I did there?)

4 stars for now? Maybe I will change the rating later? I need to sleep on this one!
Lolly K Dandeneau
Mar 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was informative, much like other 'non-verbal intelligence books are. What I particularly enjoyed about Joe Navarro's teaching is that the body language itself is not enough to assume a particular emotion. A lot of other books will say, for example, that if you shake your foot a lot you're nervous. But some people are foot shakers or just nervous by nature. With such people they are likely to either shake more violently or simply stop when nervous. So you see, while body language is telling ...more
Sean
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
It would be really, really hard to get me to give a book like this more than three stars, because what I want from it isn't what most readers want. I want not just the tricks, the ideas, the things to watch for, but also the *proof*. It's got more citations than I'd have expected, so that's good. But very rarely does the author say "...and we know this because of this particular experiment" or "...because of this anthropological study."

I don't know if the interpretations the book gives of differ
Valérie
What Every Body is Saying by Joe Navarro is a fantastic book to decipher the body language of people. He talks about some things that I didn't know and that are very helpful. From now on, I will take a much closer look at body language.
Narges Salmanizadeh
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let me tell you something, even though this book is such a great eye opening book for having more successful conversations with ppl whom you don't know, it can take away your peace. The way this book push you to concentrate more on the body language of people than their speech is somehow fluster.
But its great it's worth it and im gonna use it a lot in my life
Renee Amberg
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Such an interesting topic however, I found myself skimming through the main portions of the book and just reading the descriptions of the photos. It’s more of a visual topic to describe anyways, so the author incorporating these was super helpful. He gave good examples for those going into law enforcement but for those who aren’t in that field (like me), just the visuals would have sufficed.
Robyn Blaber
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book I was quite full of scepticism. I know how hard it is to detect deception and I expected that this book was going to tell me 50 ways to spot a liar from various tells. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the author had a good grounding of the science behind body language and tons of field work (unlike the TSA, who with 15 minutes of training, can spot a terrorist just by looking at them).

What the book does do is give you dozens and dozens of clues as to how a perso
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Great tips and overall a very interesting read. What I like most is the author's attempt to explain the whys for all the little tidbits he's mentioning here.
Supreeth
NO SHIT SHERLOCK
Cori
Snatched this one up during an Audible sale hopeful that it would be beneficial for work. I think it was worth the few dollars I spent during the sale, but I'm also glad I didn't spend a full credit on it. I found it more of a reminder to slow down and read body language as opposed to being a treasure trove of new insights. Still, some things were helpful, particularly the chapter on foot language.

I would rate this book a PG for some reference to violent crime.
Readosaurus
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: investment
If she keeps playing with her hair it means she fancies you. If they cross their arms it means they don't. Everyone is familiar with the concept of body language as expressed by simplistic, quasi-scientific rules such as these. One of the things I liked most about Navarro's book is that it eschews basic X means Y type formulations and attempts to locate the art of reading body language in a broader, richer context that any matter relating to the highly complex matter of human psychology clearly ...more
Kris
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Women will touch their neck when nervous. Men will spread their legs when feeling territorial. People will cross their legs when they’re comfortable. Standing arms akimbo shows dominance. Sweaty palms indicate stress. Be careful not to read someone’s body language as lying, when really they’re just nervous. There. Now I’ve saved you the trouble of reading this book.
Nikki Sex
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent must read if you're an author. I recommend the hard copy vs ereader however, because you get pictures in the actual book. This book illustrates what people do with their body when they are afraid, nervous, happy...whatever. Insightful read if that kind of thing interests you, but particularly useful as an author to describe a scene.
Patrick
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
To explain why this book wasn't really what I was hoping for, it would help to explain what I was hoping for: I am mildly autistic, and I have difficulty picking up on nonverbal social cues, particularly in informal environments like casual conversation, friendship, and dating. So I've been looking for resources on identifying nonverbal behaviors in these sorts of circumstances: Is he interested in what I'm saying, or bored and faking a smile? Is she attracted to me, or just being polite? Do the ...more
Rolando Gill
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
December 2013 Pacifying behaviors are not indicators of lying. Mouth movements and hand movements. Great book.
July 2013 - Reread the book, so much information. My take away this time is that I will start focusing on one body part at a time. I am also more aware of self soothing behavior in myself and others.
March 2012 - Awesome, so interesting. I am going to have to review this over and over again. This book should easily help me get all of my poker losses back!
Christopher Ryan
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Every activist, counter-cultural figure, and free-thinker should read this book, if only to know how organizations like the FBI operate. There is a lot of very intuitive stuff in here, which Navarro will help you recognize, and a lot of it is useful -- but it also implies a lot of stereotyping and generalization. Which is funny, since my instinct was defensiveness every time I came across a picture of Navarro in his baggy suit and cold, piercing eyes. Even more so when I looked at the pictures o ...more
Nsiku Banda
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Politicians, job-seekers, scholars and just about anyone really!
Recommended to Nsiku by: No one i just thought it would be a good read.
This exciting book opens your eyes to the very things of body language you know about. The pictorial representations makes it easy to read even not-so avid readers could just take a couple of days or so to complete the entire book. Yet, in the end you feel as though you have achieved and understood the non-verbal behaviour with a better view of the world around you - able to see most of what we take for granted in everyday life.

In the book, Navarro demonstrates several types of body languages in
Golden Rose
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ever since I first watched the show "Lie to Me," I have been fascinated by non-verbal behavior. I was probably fascinated by it before then, especially when I was a baby and had to rely on gestures to understand how people were feeling, but this is the first time that I have been consciously fascinated by non-verbal behavior.

I bought this book along with another book on the same topic, and this was my favorite of the two. I didn't read the whole book straight-through, instead choosing to read a
Mohammed Alshanakhnakh
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The book has great insights into body language and nonverbal communication. I was going to give it 3 stars because I didn't like the writing, it seemed very repetitive and at sometimes boring, but I changed my mind to 4 stars because, as this was my 1st read into body language, it had a lot of new info to me. Had I read another body language book before this, my opinion would probably have been different.

Some of the things I learned:
- nonverbal communications must be read in context
- establish
Amine
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Body language is the most universal, the most underrated and by far the easiest to learn, as we all use it already.
This is an easy book. It gives what is promised a guide to basic nonverbals people use. I found certain sections interesting and quite informative, while some others were repetitive and just obvious, like what does an eye roll mean?
The information presented is also not given in a refined way, it is somewhat too direct. Also, while the information is scientifically backed, and throug
Benoit Lelièvre
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The genius of this book doesn't lie in its pages, but in how it modifies your behavior in every day life. I mean, the information is laid out in a pretty basic fashion and it can get a little wordy sometimes (it's written like a conference speech) but it goes to work on your lymbic system (joke you'll get if you read the book :P) You'll start noticing which ways torsos bend and who is steepling his hands in meetings at work. It raises awareness and makes everyday life more interesting and it act ...more
Bren
“For instance, when people press their lips together in a manner that seems to make them disappear, it is a clear and common sign that they are troubled and something is wrong.”
― Joe Navarro, What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People

It is a fun read. I did not try any of the techniques mentioned but I did have fun reading about them!

I liked the narrator very much and was pleased he used "regular people speak" so I did not have to be at all confused as to what I
Anna O.P.
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I agree with some other reviewers here. This book is useful. Everything it says is accurate. But the way it is written is B-O-R-I-N-G. A reviewer said that the book was too didactic for her. Perhaps, but I've read plenty of academic journals and many of them are more fun to read than this book. I don't know what part is wrong. And apparently this lacklustre writing style doesn't improve with translation either.
K. Elizabeth
3/5 Stars

Hmm. Not much to say about this one.

This was about as average as a book can get. I mean, I thought the contents were interesting (even if everything I read wasn't new to me), however, the writing itself was mediocre and kind of boring. I felt like Navarro did a decent job explaining everything - though I believe he could have done much better.
Rachel
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counseling
Everyone should read this book! Much helpful, and realistic information is presented here about reading body language and non-verbals. This is helpful for everyone- parents, friends, counselors, etc.
Nathalie
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the best book I've read on body language. I actually read every word instead of skimming as I usually do. Former FBI agent Joe Navarro writes clearly,gives many anecdotes and pictures describing truthful and lying behaviors. When he was a boy of eight, newly arrived from Cuba, he learned which people liked him (their eyes widened slightly) and which people didn't (their eyes squinted slightly). We learn our pacifying behaviors (stroking our neck, playing with our hair, etc.) which indic ...more
Chris
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Non-verbal communication has always fascinated me, and this appears to be a well-organized and educated approach to the subject by someone with a lot of experience. Maybe it will help navigating the plethora of back-stabbing actors in Los Angeles. Ha ha ha. He has a nice bibliography and references too, which is always nice.

Pretty dry, so I am not through yet, but the information seems pretty good and pretty well organized.

I recommend this book as a good start on understanding non-verbal cues
Nadia's Library
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book on body language! Joe Navarro delivers a simple to understand, easy to implement, and insightful book to understanding the people around us. A great and easy read.
CPCC Book Club: Thoughts so far 3 19 Apr 07, 2012 12:08PM

• The Definitive Book of Body Language
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
  • Spy the Lie: Three Former CIA Officers Reveal Their Secrets to Uncloaking Deception
  • The 48 Laws of Power
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • The Like Switch: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Influencing, Attracting, and Winning People Over
  • The Art of Seduction
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • Never Split the Difference
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Clues
  • The Influential Mind: What the Brain Reveals About Our Power to Change Others
  • Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
Joe Navarro is an author, public speaker and ex-FBI agent. Navarro specializes in the area of nonverbal communication or body language and has authored numerous books.

News & Interviews

“The problem is that most people spend their lives looking but not truly seeing, or, as Sherlock Holmes, the meticulous English detective, declared to his partner, Dr. Watson, “You see, but you do not observe.” 31 likes
“the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.” 21 likes