Start by marking “Software Systems Architecture: Working with Stakeholders Using Viewpoints and Perspectives” as Want to Read:

Software Systems Architecture, Second Edition is a highly regarded, practitioner-oriented guide to designing and implementing effective architectures for information systems. It is both a readily accessible introduction to software architecture and an invaluable handbook of well-established best practices.

With this book you will learn how to

Design and communicate
Published October 25th 2011 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Software Systems Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software Systems Architecture

Start your review of Software Systems Architecture: Working with Stakeholders Using Viewpoints and Perspectives
Suresh Sankaran
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This is one of the very few books on the topic software architecture and will be a great reference to the software architects. This focuses the how to describe an architecture of the system and is based on IEEE standard 1471. Closely relates to the 4+1 view model suggested by Rational (IBM now). Similar to the others, this also follows a model where the architecture is seen as a set of different views with many models within a view.

There is a web site too for reference:

Robson Castilho
Jan 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: software
Extremely disappointed by this book. After reading some good reviews, I expected much more.
Such a boring book. Lots and lots of redundancy.
It seems to me this book was written by people who supports waterfall process, BDUF and long, long, long documentation.
600 pages? It could be much more practical and straight to the point.
Dmitry Mikhaylov
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is suggesting a thorough approach to software architecture analysis and description through viewpoints (context, functional, information, concurrency, development, deployment, operational) and perspectives (security, performance, availability, evolution, accessibility, internalization, development resource, location, regulation, usability). Nick Rozanski and Eoin Woods did a great job explaining their proven practices. I think this book will be beneficial to any software engineer who w ...more
Abhilash Gopalakrishnan
One book which explains the process of software architecture in form of steps and more practical approach to viewpoints and views. Essential for a practicing and aspiring architect.
Victor
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-tech
This is a solid book on software architecture. Part I describes the fundamental concepts (architecture, architecture description, stakeholders, quality properties, viewpoints, views, perspectives). Part II shows how to define an architecture for a system, taking into consideration business goals, concerns, drivers and architectural principles. It also provides some pointers on how to produce the architectural description and how to evaluate it. Parts III and IV present a catalog of Viewpoints an ...more
Steve Whiting
Very good introduction to the role of the architect. Clearly defines exactly what an architect should think about, what the role includes and what the outputs should be. An ideal starter for someone moving into their first architecture role and well worth keeping as a reference book.

Weak points? Doesn't really reconcile the extensive up-front architecture approach being promoted by the book with Agile approaches - mentions the tension between the two schools, but then doesn't go anywhere with it
Reza Bazghaleh
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely great book for solution architecture

What I most like about this book is at the end of each chapter author privedes comprehensive checklist covers all the points cover in the chapter. For your projects you can quickly go through the checklist and find the potential risk or area need more attention.
Karthikeyan VK
One of the best architecture books, I have read. If you are stuck finding difficulting in documenting your architecture, this is the book you should try.

Should have read at least 5 years before. Would have saved lots of my hard times.
Maciej
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
I know a lot about the subject so I read it very selectively. Had I been new into the topic, I would have appreciated the book.
Reza Bazghaleh
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you you are working as a corporate Solution Architecture or planning to become one, this book is for you. This explain everything in detail and share lots of tips in each area. I think Privay section needs a boost as its not well covered in the book.
Anetq
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read part 1,2 and 5.
3+4 is more of a handbook with the specifik concerns, models, problems and pitfalls, checklist and further reading for each viewpoint (Part 3) and perspective (part 4)
Sameh Amin
Very good software architecture book, explaining in details the process and methodologies of creating Architecture description, role and responsibilities of the software architect. i liked very much the checklist per each step of creating the architecture. an important reference for any software architect library.
Michael
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly practical

I found this book to be both very enlightening and very practical. It helped me to structure my view on some areas of software development and allowed to start using many valuable ideas immediately.
It also works great as a tabletop reference for a working architect. I found checklists at end of many chapters to serve as a safety net for me.
Rejeev Divakaran
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
There are few good books on Architecture - especially discussing 'how to do' part. Most of the books discusses 'what to do' as wells how to document architecture and different methodology. This books is also not an exception. However it do the 'methodology' and 'what' part very well. It is a very good reference document for architects. ...more
Alan McBee
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This, so far, is my favorite book on solution architecture. It simply lays out a number of viewpoints from which to consider the model, and the perspectives which are used to ensure that various qualities have been addressed appropriately. Simple but thorough, and very readable.
Patrick
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the better books I've seen on the nature and practice of software architecture (as distinct from design and development). The chapter on different architecture classes was very helpful in some discussions. We are sharing this with new architects now. ...more
Misha
Oct 22, 2014 added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I might get back to this book when it becomes more relevant to my current job. But as a reading for broadening the horizons this books contains a lot of superfluous abstract information and not enough examples.
Vijayavel
Sep 20, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just I bought the book after preview of few chapters
Completed the chapters Viewpoints and different views. This information is very useful for AD, it helps in my project also.. will post more updates on that
Dzung Vuong
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: study-learning
This is supposed to be one of the best books on Software Architecture. In my opinion, it's only a good reference. What it lacks are real-world examples to demonstrate the theories.
A book like this needs to have a companion website to provide more examples, hand on quizzes and more.
Vinod
Jun 08, 2014 added it
good
TK Keanini
As mentioned in a prior review, this book goes into the social dynamics of software architecture. How to socialize systems architecture and reach consensus would be another title for it.
Muriel
Jan 04, 2015
Bill de hÓra
Updated and improved from the orginal.
Anthony
rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mistakes and Miracles: Congregations on the Road to Multiculturalism
  • Mastering Ceph: Infrastructure storage solutions with the latest Ceph release, 2nd Edition
  • Design It! : Pragmatic Programmers: From Programmer to Software Architect
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 2 - Visualise, document and explore your software architecture
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery
  • Debugging Teams: Better Productivity Through Collaboration
  • RESTful Web Services Cookbook
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1)
  • NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence
  • For Honor We Stand (Man of War, #2)
  • The Eden Paradox
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines, #1)
  • Midshipman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #1)
  • The Two Babylons
  • Brothers in Valor (Man of War, #3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »