Start by marking “The Chapel of Bones (Knights Templar, #18)” as Want to Read:
The Chapel of Bones (Knights Templar, #18)

The Chapel of Bones (Knights Templar #18)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  322 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Murder is again polluting the Exeter Cathedral close, but this killer will not be easily caught. The victim, Henry Potell, was feared by many, and held secrets that some wished to keep hidden. For Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and his friend Bailiff Simon Puttock, events become increasingly mysterious. Who among Henry Potell's companions knows the trut ...more
Published May 2nd 2005 by Headline (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Chapel of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chapel of Bones

ron btdtbttsawio
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you like medieval mysteries, you will like this series by Michael Jecks (try to read them in order if you can).
In all his books, the writing is well crafted and the stories and characters are excellent.
You have to pay attention though, as things aren't always what they seem and as the story develops, you will get a new insight from time to time as it is told from different character's perspective.

This particular book stands out in my mind. The background story of the stone mason and his socia
Michael Jecks
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This story gripped me from the outset.
Like many of my books, it is not invented, but is based very firmly on historical fact. The chapel of bones was constructed after a political power-play within the cathedral. The Dean and Bishop hated each other. And after Matins one morning, an ally of the Bishop's was grabbed while walking across the close, and beaten and stabbed to death.
Many of the guilty were found. Some were not - this is their story.
Kathie Chiu
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this story. It took over 120 pages to get to the beginning of the plot. There was so much detail about a great variety of characters and situations that I got confused and wondered whether or not there was going to be a crime.

Eventually the main characters emerged and the story got interesting. I like the story line and it's main characters and that redeemed the book. I'm going to read another one that was written later and see what I think.
Puzzle Doctor
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Bob
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Its the year 1323 in Exeter England and the Keeper of he King's peace Sir Baldwin Furnshill and his friend Bailiff Simon Puttock are called to the Exeter Cathedral to solve a murder which turns into several murders all connected to an assassination killing of a church official many years earlier. An interesting read although keeping all the players (and there are many) straight takes some doing. There are many possible suspects as participants in the earlier assassination worry about their past ...more
Mirjam
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
When Michael Jecks writes a medieval mystery he opens a window to a fascinating period in history. Apart from wickedly plotted mysteries and great characters, he describes the Middle Ages with enormous skill making it accessible for people like me who know little of that period. The Chapel of Bones is no exception. It's simply another masterpiece by Jecks. The Knights Templar series is definitely a must read for fans of the genre.
Mavis Hewitt
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Probably because he has based this book on an historical fact I found it slow going to begin with and wondered if Jecks had missed this time, but then I got into it and stayed awake late to finish it. Convoluted and in the end partly unexpected, but then intrigue, political or ecclesiastical usually is.
Marfita
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Better than the last medieval mystery series I read that started out fairly normal and then just got weird. This stayed within reality and contained nice twists. It was nice to see a young woman in a medieval story ready and willing to marry some middle-aged man for a change.
Eileen
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another really good medeival mystery by Jecks. I just love this series.
Deana
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I forget a lot because it has been a long time since I have read it, but I remember I loved returning to the book and seeing how events unfolded.
Marisa
Aug 06, 2012 added it
Shelves: mystery
This did not end the way I thought it would at all. It was a great bookand a surprise ending.
Les Wilson
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best medieval mysteries I've read to date. If you like this genre, then this is definitely one for you.
Tantz Aerine
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the best historical mysteries I ever read, back in the day. Also, the medical scenes were very true to history. The scene of the arrow extraction has stayed with me ever since.
Cece

Too many characters, too many side stories this time.
Tonya Mathis
Marlene
Nov 06, 2011
Jerrie
Sep 20, 2015
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • The Magician's Death (Hugh Corbett, #14)
  • A Trust Betrayed (Margaret Kerr, #1)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Monkey and The Tiger
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)