Start by marking “JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual

JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual

(Missing Manuals)

JavaScript lets you supercharge your HTML with animation, interactivity, and visual effects—but many web designers find the language hard to learn. This jargon-free guide covers JavaScript basics and shows you how to save time and effort with the jQuery library of prewritten JavaScript code. You’ll soon be building web pages that feel and act like desktop programs, without ...more
Published October 28th 2011 by Pogue Press (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript & jQuery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript & jQuery

Start your review of JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
Wilson
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not bad, but very much oriented toward beginners with no programming experience at all.

I would really like to be able to find a Javascript/jQuery book aimed at experienced programmers who are just getting started in web programming (the js/jq equivalent to Mark Pilgrim's excellent Dive Into Python, or Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional by Magnus Lie Hetland.

The closest I've found is JavaScript: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide, but it doesn't cover jQuery, and neither, in my
Stephen
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on learning jQuery. Highly recommended. Also includes an excellent primer on Javascript. Exactly what the novice and advanced javascript developer needs to develop jQuery applications. I had an app up and running within a couple of days of reading this material.
Anon
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Helpful & well-written ...more
Doug Farren
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book so I could learn about jQuery -- it did not let me down! There is a difference between learning and knowing. This book teaches both. The reader learns through the detailed text and then gets to know the subject better by doing the tutorials. After following the tutorials, the reader should play around with the code to help solidify the knowledge.

If you want to learn a new programming language or learn about a program you have been using but know it can do far more than you've
Delante Bess
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is mostly for super beginners with no programming experience at all, so this book was not targeted for me. However, I would say, that if someone is learning JavaScript/jQuery for the first time, this is not a bad place to start.
Book
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"JavaScript and jQuery: The Missing Manual" by David Sawyer McFarland is another JavaScript book on the market, trying to introduce reader to jQuery but also explaining some more difficult concepts in process.

This is book second edition, since previous edition jQuery was added in its title, but was renamed due to customer complaints about the contents which mainly focus on jQuery. That is perhaps the biggest drawback of the book because JavaScript and jQuery are both extensive areas and maybe it
Cliff Hays
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Coming from server-side and database programming, Javascript always seemed very confusing and non-intuitive to me. I cannot count the number of times I ended up just copying and pasting after googling. But this approach is pretty inefficient in the long run, since if you have no idea what the code is doing it is very difficult (if not impossible) to modify it to suit your specific needs. Enter "Javascript & jQuery: The Missing Manual". In less than two days I have been able to learn to create ef ...more
Kris Jou
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read a few jQuery books and documentation, and found this to be its best jumping-on point, at least for jQuery (it skimps on JavaScript, since jQuery replaces it for many standard web applications, but keep that in mind). In fact, I'm on my second-read and am finding it even better than the first. Accessible without compromising its complexity, this book provides detailed explanation and concise tutorial for performing basic and few advanced jQuery applications. I liked this a lot more than ...more
Decklyn
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
a one time read cursory overview of client side technology. it succeeds in its goal of introducing not only jquery but CSS and Dom manipulation in general. if you are in the position where you want to learn these technologies with little front end background this will be a fine choice but if you are looking for a jquery in depth reference you'll probably want something else. not a bad read for a server side guy but I won't revisit it after getting a handle on the basics of front end with this bo ...more
Leah
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is ok, however I am almost on page 200 and still have yet to figure out how to implement this into my code. It's explanations are alright but still somewhat disorganized. EVERY time i complete one of the tutorials there is a new line of code they don't explain. They then tell you there will be an additional explanation of this portion of code after another 100 pages or so. completely frustrating. If I had any prior knowledge of JavaScript I'm sure it would make more sense.
Mark Wheeler
After previously working with JavaScript I moved away from hands on programming, but a new role brought me back into a role of overseeing a team of developers and the quality of their work. The software I was working on used jQuery, so I used this book to learn about jQuery as I prefer books as a method of learning instead of reading websites, mainly because books are more structured and considered and also because I can take my book anywhere with me.
Oscar
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aspiring Web Developers
Easy to understand. Covers the basics. Mostly Jquery and compared to the other book of Javascript I tried reading; Jquery is exceptionally easy. Half ways through the book, you might fight the urge to stop reading it because of the easy syntax but definitely worth stick to it. Would definitely recommend it to boost your web development career while trying to master Javascript.
Kraig
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not to shabby. The focus of this one is definitely more on the jQuery side of things. This can be both good and bad. It's great given that jQuery can do most everything you could ever need but it's not so great if you really want to learn javascript to do the few things that jQuery does not. Combine this book with a good javascript book and you got it made.
cloudsniffer
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-related
Decent read. It would be definitely good for people who had no contact with functional or oop. Otherwise you may skim through the first half of the book and concentrate on specific characteristic of javascript. The second part about jQuery (with which I had almost no contact with beforehand) was much better versed for someone with previous programming experience.
Aimee
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a life-saver when I started web development. At the time, I had very little programming experience and the coding help I received from co-workers was well-intentioned but full of assumptions and jargon. This "missing manual" filled in the gaps from knowledge my mentors took for granted.
Third Eye
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for beginners with little programming experience. Since I am an experienced programmer who is dabbling in web scripting, the book was a bit too light for me. However the examples cover most of the popular usecases such as form validation, tooltips, image rollovers and ajax. I definitely learned a lot about jQuery, CSS and HTML.
Denis
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Providing an entry-level introduction to JavaScript and JQuery, author managed to explain things easily but without oversimplification. It is not very typical for a tutorial book to be both thorough and well-written, but this one is a wonderful exception. I can recommend it to anyone who wants to become familiar with contemporary approaches to building Web sites.
Andrew Klem
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was okay. That really sums it up. I'd say I'll remember about 20% of this unless I continue to study JavaScript & JQuery (which I will). Not particularly exciting. Just a meh instructional manual, but I did learn quite a bit. ...more
Rahmanda
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my first javascript book and it's really good. All parts of the material is explained very clear and structured. However some parts is a bit out to date. If you're a beginner on javascript this book is helpful enough to company you on your learning.
Johnwark
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good introductory combined Javascript and jQuery book. Great for beginning Javascript programmers. We are using it as a textbook in a coding bootcamp program and the students are finding the book very usable and understandable. Good coding tutorials.
Mellodi
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good starter book but if you want to learn more don't use this as your only resource. :)
Jessica
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well written, but contains some frustrating errors which can affect how you write your code. This can be confusing for beginners, and difficult to spot or explain for veterans.
Jon Steege
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
probably the best and most comprehensive jquery book i have read
Shawn
Feb 17, 2015
Melissa Hruza
May 15, 2014

• Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • Facebook Application Development for Dummies
  • Ty jesteś marką
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
  • Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America
  • Professional Android 4 Application Development
  • You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David Sawyer McFarland is president of Sawyer McFarland Media, Inc., a Web development company in Portland, Oregon. He's been building Web sites since 1995, when he designed his first Web site: an online magazine for communication professionals. He's served as the Webmaster at the University of California at Berkeley and the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center, and he has helped build, design, and ...more

Missing Manuals (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Access 2007: The Missing Manual
  • Access 2010: The Missing Manual
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS3: The Missing Manual
  • Dreamweaver CS3 The Missing Manual
  • HTML5: The Missing Manual
  • JavaScript The Missing Manual
  • Mac OS X: Tiger Edition (The Missing Manual)
  • Office 2008 for Macintosh: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual