Start by marking “The Healing Path: How the Hurts in Your Past Can Lead You to a More Abundant Life” as Want to Read:

Don't Waste Your Pain

None of us escapes the heartache and disappointments of life. To live is to hurt, and we all have the wounds to prove it. Regardless of how we've been hurt, we all face a common question: What should we do with our pain? Should we stoically ignore it? Should we just "get over it"? Should we optimistically hope that everything will work out in the
Published September 26th 2000 by WaterBrook (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Healing Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healing Path

Start your review of The Healing Path: How the Hurts in Your Past Can Lead You to a More Abundant Life
Jon Cooper
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is basically a pastoral volume on theodicy. Like most books in this genre, it is heavy on sentimentality (and turns of phrase) and somewhat light on real thought. But it does a much better job than most in balancing the two, and in weaving narrative with explication.

That out of the way: It's a very, very good book and worth a read or two. The basic thesis (which I'm not convinced he brings out all that well) is this: crap happens; look at such crap as part of your bigger story,
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hurting Christians
Shelves: counseling
If you are going to read a few books about working through your pain/hurt issues, you should put this book on the top of the stack. I have gone back and re-read many portions to get a better Christian perspective on how to heal and find joy in the midst of trials and difficulties. I have shared this book with friends who have struggled through various painful situations and each one has noted that the book was powerfully written and helped them deeply.
Alan
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read. Informative, compelling, and genuine. Many stories of people trying to bury and hide their hurts, or wallow in their hurts, or finally grow with God as they face their hurts. Deals with many of the scripture passages that are untidy and life situations that don't make sense.

I recommend this for everyone who has ever had a life experience where they have hurt someone or been hurt. That would be me and everyone else.
Daniel
Every page of this book spoke to the inner struggles of my own heart. In my mind, Allender does not give a definitive answer to life's suffering and doubts of God's love for humankind. What he does for the reader, or at least for me, is to lead to a greater understanding of my personal need for Jesus by artfully uncovering my pain and sin and teaching me how to walk in my personal suffering by faith, hope, and love. The Healing Path does not lead to a "dying-to-self" at the cross only, but to li ...more
Anna
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. The author empathizes, speaks, and validates pain and betrayal experience, while digging deeper to discover why we may react the way we do to those things, and then seeks to give encouragement on how to be more "response-able" in life. It wasn't really NEW information to me, so much as needed reminders in a calm and kind presentation. Good stuff.
Charlotte Hunt
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps no other book has changed my life other than this book and this author. His impact and short time with him moved me toward the purpose and path the Lord was leading me to. Amazing and life changing book. Must read.
Susie
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people looking for healing, specifically emotional
This book was a wonderful read while working through childhood hurts, emotional scars, bad ways of coping with life difficulties. I felt like I was able to own a number of my issues and respond to God's invitation to healing.
Jordan J. Andlovec
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I bit gushy language-wise, but if you can get past that there are some incredibly helpful foundations to help you shift your understand of the pain in your life.
Becca
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life-changing. Beautiful. I need to read it again. Allender comes closer than anyone else I've read to making sense of the mess of life.
Tyler Simonds
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
I love The Healing Path. Powerful and poetic at times, Dan shares from his life as he inspires the reader to embrace life. If you get stuck at some point or distracted I hope you won’t give up. He ends it amazingly.

Too many of us have sat on the sideline over the years, merely observing. (Perhaps complaining about others and failing to recognize the good potential in front of us.) We are surrounded by mystery. Adventure calls to you, the good life found in fighting for “us” with open arms.

I ca
Samuel Kassing
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The prose in this book are classic Allender. At times I wish he was more practical and a little less wordy but overall this is a very good book.

Allender takes the three virtues of “faith, hope, and love” and shows us how God intends to use those three virtues to make us more human within the body of Christ. And how we can help our neighbors recover their humanity as well.
Vee
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
"It is a Samson-like suicidal gesture that pulls down the pillars not to escape... but to destroy those who blinded us and made us feel helpless."

I need this book next to my Bible so I can constantly reference it.

Renee
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This thought provoking book led me on a path to greater healing and peace. Dealing with deeper elements of faith, hope and love Allender brought a new and welcome twist to the dark and difficult task of putting together broken lives.
Bryan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to every Christian hurt with hurt their past and wants to live, yes live.
Shauna
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Allender.
Judy
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Choosing to focus on God while going through troubles helps us walk in grace. It gives us hope to continue on to complete the race we have been called to.
C
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
A spiritual framework for addressing and reconciling your pain/trauma in your work as a psychotherapist. A bit touchy feely at times and redundant.
Leandra
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Reminded me a bit.
Deirdre
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
I am finding it very hard to connect with this book emotionally. Logically everything Allender is saying makes sense to me but it's all just words at this point. Mebbe I am in hard-core denial right now?? I might have to start over and take it more slowly.

***

After finishing: I liked the last couple of chapters much more than the rest of the book. I'm still not sure why I found it a slog, but I did. Disappointing because I have really appreciated some of Allender's other w
Emiko
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some books you just have to be in the right frame of mind to receive what they have to say. With that said, it may have been why I only gave it two stars. There were a few chapters I thought worth reading but too many others I felt I was trudging through. For me, the best morsels dealt with Ambivalence (chapter 2, 6). Chapter 10 as well: "Living a Radical Life"... but it's for a very different mental place--one that took me several months to get to (which is about as long as it took me to read t ...more
Jennah
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this, it had a lot of good application that I could apply to my own life. This book answers these questions: What should we do with our pain? Should we stoically ignore it? Should we just "get over it"? Should we optimistically hope that everything will work out in the end? Dan B. Allender answers those questions in this book and goes even deeper in the journey of "The Healing Path". I really like what he said on the last page..."Body and blood swirling over our palate c ...more
Jenny Wells
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dan Allender, one of my mentors online and through seminars, wrote this book in 1999. I was hesitant to read it, because I know he is a writer/teacher whose ideas move forward and interpret the horizon and I wondered whether this book would stand the test of time as his work continues to evolve. But it proved to be a foundational book of his work, that life in fullness, healing, and God involve holding our pain and our hopes hand-in-hand, that the two together show the full picture of who we are ...more
Matt
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not sure if I completely learned "how the hurts in my past can lead me to a more abundant life" in this book, but I did find much of it to be helpful. Allender's emphasis when it comes to individual hurts is to walk toward the pain rather than away from it, but I would have liked to have heard a little more on how to move beyond it. Some of the chapters fit too neatly like three point sermons and some of the illustrations were trite. Still, the content is weighty, not to be simply breezed th ...more
Anne Snyder
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is still one of the best books I've ever read. I highly recommend it! This was my second time reading it, and I think I might have to read it every year at least for a few years. It contains so much.

In this book, Dan Allender takes the painful things of life--betrayal, pain, rejection, and heartache, and shows how God uses them to draw us to Himself, to awaken deep desires in us, to take us down the path of healing and redemption where we can truly be close to Him and to ot
Shea Fox
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some of his chapters say things I've always wanted to hear about suffering. "The apostle Paul tells us that as we groan inwardly, we wait eagerly for our final redemption (Rms 8:23). But few of us enter the tragedy of living in a fallen world and simultaneously struggle with God until our hearts bleed with hope. We either give into pain with a hopeless cynicism, or we settle for an artificial resolution that insists that things really aren't too bad and we need not muck around in the negatives o ...more
Shannan
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
We read through this book in my small group and I was not disappointed in the least. We had just come off his other book, "To Be Told", and I was very excited to do another Dan Allender book. It wasn't as relevant and good as To Be Told but it was very insightful and added much depth. This book is meaty so it was good to break it down in a study group because if I had not had that I may not have gotten as much out of it.
Cindy
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my "go to" books... it answers the deepest cries of the heart, leading one back to faith, hope and love as the three pillars on which we can seach our hearts to find the deeper meaning of our pain, take steps to heal the hurt and move on, to a more stronger, more productive life( always pointing us back to our relationship with God).
Kipahni
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who are taking the first step towards dealing with past hurts and disappointments
I like this book because does not give the "christian-ese" pat answer of read your bible, pray, go to church.
Instead it confronts your pain and gives you insight on why it's there and what good can come of it.
the greatest lesson I learned from this book is that every life story has a theme of betrayal and redemption.
Christine
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Scott
Shelves: christian, 2008
Self-help books are usually not on my list of books to read. But I made an exception for The Healing Path, and I am glad I did. Dan Allender here addresses the pain of our past, and how God can use it to draw us closer to him. It has encouraged me to take more risks in my relationships and to be willing to love people better. I highly recommend this book.
William Ingram
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written book about the active and co-creative process of healing lives. Dr. Allender uses words as an artist does paints to sketch and then detail his spiritual insights. His life lessons should be explored by every Christian answering the challenges of living for God in a secular world.

• Perfecting Ourselves to Death: The Pursuit Of Excellence And The Perils Of Perfectionism
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship
  • Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that Can Transform Your Life and Relationships
  • Inside Out: Real Change Is Possible If You're Willing to Start from The...
  • Far as the Curse Is Found: The Covenant Story of Redemption
  • Saved by Grace
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • The Allure of Hope: God's Pursuit of a Woman's Heart
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions
  • Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance Through Their Stories
  • The Heart of Evangelism
  • Telling Secrets
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
Dan B. Allender, Ph.D, is a fly fisherman who also serves as president and professor of counseling at Mars Hill Graduate School near Seattle, Washington. He is a therapist in private practice, and a frequent speaker and seminar leader. Dan received his M.Div. from Westminster Theological Seminary and his Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Michigan State University. He is the author of To Be Told: ...more