Start by marking “Triplanetary (Lensman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Triplanetary (Lensman, #1)

Triplanetary

(Lensman #1)

Cosmic Conflict

In Triplanetary, battle is joined for the control of the universe. The Arisians, benevolent humanoids who have declared themselves Guardians of Civilization, war with the Eddorians, shapeless, malevolent beings, hungry for power at any price. They fight on both physical and mental levels, wielding weaponry of inconceivable destructiveness.

And their
Published 1975 by Panther Books (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Triplanetary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triplanetary

Start your review of Triplanetary (Lensman, #1)
Forrest
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've heard people rave about how Doc Smith's work was one of the early space operas and that it influenced many later science fiction masterpieces. This may be true, but I'm thinking that just because it was influential, doesn't mean I have to like it. And I don't much.

It's been pointed out by others that this book hasn't aged well, and maybe that's my problem with it. Then again, the Hardy Boys haven't aged well, and I still (guilty pleasure alert) like some of the series. But I read those as
Manuel Antão
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1995
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Realistic Sounding Nonsense: "Triplanetary" E.E. "Doc" Smith

"Immediately before the Coalescence began there was one,and only one, planetary solar system in the Second Galaxy; and, until the advent of Eddore, the Second Galaxy was entirely devoid of intelligent life"

In "Triplanetary" by E. E. "Doc" Smith

There are only three real approaches to physics in SF:

1. Absolute hard core real physics with speculative aspects;
2. Realistic sounding
Michael
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Don't trust my rating of this book; it's part of my childhood, when I read it over and over again, and I have no way of objectively rating it.

For reasons I no longer recall, I got rid of these books at some point, probably during a house move when I was trying to de-clutter. I found all seven in the series in a second hand book shop a few years ago and, struck by nostalgia, I bought them all. Reading them again, I found that the clunky writing, the cardboard characters, the outdated social
Manny
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Reading Bishop Barnes's rather interesting Scientific Theory and Religion earlier this evening, I was reminded of E.E. Doc Smith's dreadful space opera series. Both authors, writing in the early 30s, are extremely concerned about current theories of planetary formation; this was the period when most scientists believed that the Solar System started when another star had a near miss with our own sun, dragging matter out of it by tidal forces. I am kind of surprised that so many people took this ...more
Len Evans Jr
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars... will write my review in a bit once it has all sunk in. Right now I am of two minds on this book.
Shannon Haddock
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is of the shorter, original version, because I somehow grabbed that one instead of the other one from Project Gutenberg.

Whether or not Triplanetary is a good book depends on one’s expectations, I guess. I was expecting, due to it’s age, a pulpy adventure. That’s exactly what I got. If you are wanting something more cerebral or otherwise more suited to modern tastes, I suggest reading something else.

The characters are pretty much archetypes, but such wonderful examples of them that I
Sandy
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In its article on the subject of "Space Opera," my beloved "Science Fiction Encyclopedia" describes the genre thus: "…loosely applicable to any space adventure story, but particularly to those in which the scale of the action is extravagant...." It is as good a working definition as any, but had the authors of this scholarly tome wished to do so, they might just as easily have explained the term by showing pictures of the six book covers of E.E. "Doc" Smith's famed Lensman series. Written over ...more
John
I'm not terribly ashamed to admit I like Doc Smith, since I'm in good company (see Robert Heinlein's "Larger than Life"). Heinlein's apology for Smith covers most of the usual criticisms: the hackneyed dialogue, the Mauve Decade values, the liberal use of space opera stereotypes such as bug-eyed monsters (although note, please, that these hadn't been overused yet during Smith's time).

But I secretly hope that, in a different life, I too might wear the Lens....and in any case, to be a credit to
Adam
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I only heard of the Lensman series recently. In his introduction to the copy of Foundation that I just read, Isaac Asimov said he was surprised when his series won the Hugo Award for best series of all time in 1966, because he was sure J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings would win. (This didn't make sense to me, since Tolkien's work isn't sci-fi, it's fantasy, but whatever.) The other series that were up for consideration were Robert A. Heinlein's "future history" series, Edgar Rice ...more
Paul  Perry
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to give the Lensman books at least four stars for their nostalgia value, and that they began me on a life of love for science fiction. I'll have read them first in my very early teens, probably around the time of the original Star Wars trilogy, on which they are no doubt a huge influence. I think these are probably the finest of 'Doc' Smith's ripping space adventures - powered by derring do and the fight for justice, with square jawed heroes and their beautiful women, a World's Fair-type ...more
Simon
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
I had heard that this series had dated badly but didn't think that would be a problem for me but I think for once it was. It's not just that the science that has dated (and boy has that dated), it's the dialogue too. 1930's American slang really began to grate on me after a while and demonstrates a truism I think; steer clear of the slang (either real or imagined) because, no matter how cool it might seem at the time, it will only look silly in years to come.

But at the end of the day, it's not
Glen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, science-fiction
Old fashioned space opera.

Two ancient races battle for the universe, and Earth is a battleground, only most earthling don't know it.

It sounds like something I'd like, but surprisingly, it simply didn't hit the spot. I think it was the combining Lovecraftian and Cold War elements into the same novel.
Stephen
1.5 stars. Classic "space opera" by one of the fathers of the genre. First in the Lensman Series. Not horrible (though the dialogue at times made me wince), but I didn't really like either. This seems to be the weakest entry of the Lensman saga though it does set the stage well for the later novels.
Ron
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In which scientific detail would not be bothered about, and in which his imagination would run riot," Smith’s biographer Harry Smith said of the Lensman stories. And how.

Interesting more as a historical document than as literature, this includes the 1934 story which was the first Lensman story of classic science fiction. The writing is over-the-top, the characters heroic and chauvinistic, but it’s all great fun. The books influenced military development and future science fiction. (George Lucas
Jaime
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I tried to like this, I really did. Some books age well but this one does not stand the test of time. I can see the seeds that planted in later sci-fi authors and there are some great ideas here, but I found it was poorly written and at times the author really didn't seem to know where he was planning on going and it meandered a lot.
sologdin
Nutshell: first third chronicles intergalactic duel between super-species, through proxies on earth, mostly; remainder involves virtually unrelated space opera contest between overachiever earthlings and trespassing pisceans.

Advertised as the first Lensman book, I’m not really seeing any of the items made famous by that series. Opening section indicates that super-species brought down Atlantis and Rome, and then are involved with the three world wars of the 20th century. No idea what all that
Bob
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, grandpa was right!

Many (many) years ago my grandfather tried to interest me in E.E. Smith's Lensman series. He failed then, but the books somehow remained with me, always hovering at the edge of my consciousness. Now that I've finished Triplanetary I can honestly say: Grampa, you were so right! This is military-type, space-opera SF at its pulpy best. The pacing is lightning quick, the action unrelenting. It's a really, really fun read from first page to last. Yes, the characters are a bit
Mike
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a pulp sci-fi novel, it's very well-written. What became tedious to me, though, was scene after scene of vast, hideous destruction, described in pretty much the same terms every time, and in such a way that it somehow failed to be horrible.

What I mean is that hundreds, thousands or millions of humans or aliens were being killed, and because they had no names and no faces and the named characters were all stiff-upper-lip about it, the horror of war was minimised and it became mere fireworks.
Brock
Nov 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the worst books I've ever read. The first half was stapled on in 1948 as a sort of prequel to the Lensman novels. The back half was the original story from 1934. Most fascinating is the anti-fascism fears mixed with cold war era fears as a result of being written at different times.

All that said...ugh.
Johnny
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it was about time for me to read this first volume in the famous Lensman series. After all, I’m pretty sure this epic science-fiction series was the inspiration for Steve “Slug” Russell’s Spacewar!, arguably the template for computer games as developed in the early ‘60s. But I kept trying to fill in the gaps in the series before I started it and now, I have all but one of the volumes. So, I read Triplanetary. It was a surprise.

It was a surprise because the first 80 pages or so served
Metaphorosis
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2017-rev
3.5 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

In a collision of galaxies, two powerful races begin eons-long opposition, played out through manipulation of lesser races, including humans. Much later, the Triplanetary government of Earth, Mars, and Venus, deploys its immense fleet against pirates, but is devastated by a number of mysterious and unexpected opponents.

E. E. Smith's Lensman series, which begins here, is a classic of pulp science fiction. It's one I grew up with, several decades after its first
Fintan
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Supposedly the granddaddy of all space opera, I was steered onto EE Doc's series hoping to do find the great opus that inspired everything from Babylon 5 to the Green Lantern. Unfortunately, the years have not been kind to this dusty piece of 30s pulp.

The stories were apparently standalones to begin with, but rewritten and retconned into his big lensmaster series to cash in. This isn't done very successfully, especially in the first few where it all seems very tacked on. Yet even were it all
Nigel Mitchell
This review is for any modern reader who didn't grow up reading pulp fiction from the 1930's. This probably isn't the story for you. "Triplanetary" is a classic science fiction story, but it doesn't hold up well compared to modern fiction.

I was born in the seventies, so this story is about forty years ahead of my time to begin with, but I'm a big fan of pulp sci-fi. While a lot of it is cheesy and thin compared to works of today, I enjoy the over-the-top action, and lack of concern for
Carlex
I am a bit deceived with this one, but it is my fault. I assumed that classic was synonymous with quality but this is not the case. Triplanetary deserves its place in the history of the genre for the innovative approach at the time and because serialized space operas (pulps) were a very popular form of science fiction in its beginnings.

In a near future, I hope, a bit more explained on the blog: girotix.blogspot.com.es V'ger willing ;-)
Corytregoart
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People curious about early science fiction.
Shelves: science-fiction
I've read this book one and a half times. I read it all the way through a couple of years ago, and made it only half way through a few years before that.

This is a book of an earlier, ostensibly less-complicated era. The good guys are ruggedly competent man's-men with hearts of gold and their innocent, supportive wives and girlfriends. The bad guys are pure dastardly bastards. Smith sets up this stark contrast between good and evil in the first chapters as he sets up this universe's iconic
Antti Värtö
Since pulp sci-fi is not exactly famous for its deep characters or subtle plots, I didn't really expect from this book much more than gripping action and quite possibly flashing ray-guns, but I was still disappointed. It's hard to summarize the plot, since it has such abrupt changes. (view spoiler) ...more
Jeff Stockett
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I really liked this book. It did take me a little while to get into it, but once I did I was really hooked.

I love the idea of epic stories, histories that span the eons. This is just such a story. Eddore and Arisia have been in conflict since before the dawn of man. Unknowingly, many of our battles throughout history have actually taken place on a larger galactic stage, and have had puppet strings pulled by greater masters.

I loved the idea of the galactic power struggle. I loved how it shaped
Jim
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1paper
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who didn't like or want to understand 'Campbellian' SF. It's not bad, especially a book or two into the series. After that, it gets to be a bit much.
Ian
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is something of a fix-up, and, as a result of how it was expanded, it is decidedly episodic.

E.E. Smith took an early short novel, from 1934, which provides the cover title, dusted it off, revised it to serve as Book Three, and fitted it with preludes in the form of Book One ("Dawn") and Book Two ("The World War"), each of which contained three short stories. It appeared as a book in 1948, from the short-lived Fantasy Press, part of a small but important wave of reprinting magazine
James
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: podcast, listened-to
Too childish for me. Lots of slang/idioms of the times when written.

• The Gods of Mars (Barsoom #2)
  • The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3)
  • Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #2)
  • A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
  • Rocket Ship Galileo (Heinlein's Juveniles, #1)
  • The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (The World As Myth)
  • Orphans of the Sky
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4)
  • Four Day Planet
  • The Chessmen of Mars (Barsoom #5)
  • Berserker (Berserker, #1)
  • City at World's End
  • The Ringworld Throne (Ringworld, #3)
  • The Colors of Space
  • The Man Who Sold the Moon
  • Time Enough for Love
  • Rebellion. The Complete Series.
Edward Elmer Smith (also E.E. Smith, E.E. Smith, Ph.D., E.E. “Doc” Smith, Doc Smith, “Skylark” Smith, or—to his family—Ted), was an American food engineer (specializing in doughnut and pastry mixes) and an early science fiction author, best known for the Lensman and Skylark series. He is sometimes called the father of space opera.

Lensman (7 books)
  • First Lensman (Lensman, #2)
  • Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3)
  • Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4)
  • Second Stage Lensmen (Lensmen, #5)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
“Because America, being a democracy, could not strike first, but had to wait—wait in instant readiness—until she was actually attacked.” 3 likes