Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “I'm Not Scared” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Scared
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

I'm Not Scared

by
3.81  ·  Rating details ·  13,341 ratings  ·  950 reviews
In this immensely powerful, lyrical and skillfully narrated novel, set in southern Italy, nine year-old Michele discovers a secret so momentous, so terrible, that he daren’t tell anyone about it. Read an exclusive excerpt at BookBrowse today.

The hottest summer of the twentieth century. A tiny community of five houses in the middle of wheat fields. While the adults shelter
...more
Paperback, 200 pages
Published March 9th 2004 by Anchor (first published 2001)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Scared, please sign up.
Popular Answered Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emma What, l'm still reading. Why would you write that question here, it's a spoiler!

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.81  · 
Rating details
 ·  13,341 ratings  ·  950 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Raya راية
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"الوحوش غير موجودة. الأشباح والإنسان الذئب والساحرات جميعها خرافات لتخويف الأغبياء مثلك. ينبغي أن تخاف من العِبَاد لا من الوحوش."



ما إن بدأت بقراءة هذه الرواية حتى شعرت بأن فيها شيئًا يشبه السحر يشدّني إليها بقوة. فعدت بذاكرتي إلى تلك الأيام التي كنت فيها بسنّ ميكيلّي أميترانو وأصدقائه، طفلة تعدو وسط حقول القمح مع رفاقها الصغار، وكنّا ما إن ندخل الحقل الواسع، حتى تأتي الجدّة "أم غازي" فتركض خلفنا لتطردنا من حقلها! كم كنّا نخافها! فتتقطّع أنفاسنا من الجري هروبًا منها! واتذكر "محمد" ابن الجيران
...more
Lori
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how to describe this book. Is it a shattering of innocence, a coming of age story, a mystery, a suspense novel or is it all of these? I was drawn into the story immediately by the short terse prose, the descriptions of the countryside and the dialogue and actions of the young children in the story. Ammaniti, has captured with accuracy the actions and thoughts of a child who is caught in an adult situation. As the reader you are viewing the events from the eyes of nine year old Miche ...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
A real horror. Evil is committed in pursuit of the "good", the victims are innocent and young, their innocence lost in the most painful way possible, and the story ends without any expectation of redemption or happiness for anyone.

And what a unique and brilliant narration! The author inhabits the mind of a nine-year-old boy and tells the story like a real nine-year-old. Reminded me of Esther Freud's "Hideous Kinky" but with really something extraordinary: it doesn't take Niccolo Ammaniti whole p
...more
Traveller
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A poignant coming of age story about the loss of innocence of a rural Italian boy.
The tale is told with enough balance as to be emotionally and intellectually engaging without being overly sentimental.

The style comes across as so effortless and the plot is so well handled, that one almost feels as if this could very well really have happened, which makes the chilling and ironic conclusion feel even more shocking and resonant.

..and since truth is stranger than fiction, who knows, perhaps it did
...more
Sarah saied
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جميل هو عالمنا القاسي المخادع..حينما ننظر إليه بعيون طفل..ربما هذا ما نحتاجه حقا كي لا نفقد الشغف بهذه الحياة...سنجد حتما ما يستحق الحياة لأجله...

كأنها حكاية متصلة برواية آخذك وأحملك بعيدا..هو نفس ذلك العالم الذي يرويه لنا آمانيتي في حكايته..الحياة من منظور طفل صغير...بكل ما تحمله روحه من براءة ساذجة وتوق الي المغامرة..
Diane S ☔
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set during the heat wave in the summer of 1978, in rural Italy nine year old Michele and his friends pretty much have the countryside to themselves. The parents stay in and try to alleviate the heat in whatever ways they can. Michele is only concerned about today, like most children and does not yet think about the wider picture, world events or other things that have affected his town. His only concern is having to drag his little sister everywhere, his friend Salvatore and the unelected leader ...more
Debbie
Despite its title, I’m scared and so is Michele, the 9-year-old narrator of this suspenseful story. It’s fast paced and wild, and you can’t help but be pulled in immediately and with full heart and soul.

Ammaniti knows how to create a grim story that has a loveable, heroic boy at its center. And he knows how to keep you sitting on the edge of your seat. The book is scary, but addictive. It reads like a nightmarish fairytale. There’s good versus evil all over the place. There’s one small good guy
...more
طاهر الزهراني
ذات يوم من أيام الصيف مر "أمانيتي" بسيارته على حقول القمح بين بازليكاتا وبوليا ولاحظ صعوبة العيش بالنسبة للأطفال في تلك الحقول فكانت الرواية.
..
في بداية الرواية تحضر الحقول الصفراء، الحقول الصفراء الشاسعة الممتدة، فيكرس الكاتب هذا اللون في مشاهد البداية، الشمس، السنابل، القمح، الطفولة المتعبة، العرق، التحول من مرحلة إلى أخرى من وعي إلى آخر، من إخضرار يانع بريء إلى صفار مريب متردد، من بياض مسالم إلى سواد متوحش، من شر مختلق في قصص الأطفال، إلى آخر قريب من أناس لم نتوقع أن يصدر منهم ما يسوء.
لهذا كا
...more
Snow
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sizzling story of a childhood and the horrid events that changed the aspects of the growing up process in one boy's eyes!

Great story telling...
Gabyal
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No estoy segura de cómo describir este libro y lo que me hizo sentir. ¿Es una ruptura de la inocencia, una historia de madurez, un misterio, una novela de suspense o es todo esto? La prosa es simple y breve, las descripciones del campo, el diálogo y las acciones de los niños en la historia me atraparon de inmediato. El autor, ha capturado con precisión las acciones y los pensamientos de un niño atrapado en una situación adulta. Como lector, lógico vi los los eventos desde la mirada de Michele, u ...more
Vonia
My second book from Nicolo Ammanati. The first was "Me and You". "I'm Not Scared" was able to rectify my complaints about the first (lack of believability, focus on only one character's development, rushed story and rash examinations of important issues), but things I was impressed by in "Me and You" fell by the wayside here (insightful emotional examination, keeping the reader's interest, no unnecessary scenes).

"Spine-tingling"? I hate to say this (because I love his writings, I really do, but
...more
Beatrice
I read this book for my Italian class. Reading in another language, especially it being my first time reading a full-length novel in Italian in this case, was a really rewarding experience and it allowed me to experience one of my favorite activities in a completely different way. I read this with a pencil in hand and circled all of the words I didn't understand (there were quite a few). I hope to do this again in the near future, with Italian and other languages, because I really enjoyed the ch ...more
notgettingenough
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-lit
Well, he may not be scared but call me utterly terrifed. I find it hard to believe the book could be better or even equal to the film which I've seen twice and I wasn't any less scared the second time.

I must confess that I've done no more than flick through the book and check the odd scene here and there. Sorry, book, but the visual spectacle of the film simply outdoes in spades anything you can do in words.

The first thing I wanted to do when I saw this film was give it to my father. It was a s
...more
Trupti Dorge
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, favorites
This is one of the best thrillers I have read this year. This book is translated from the Italian version. The suspense in this book was not overpowering. It’s not one of those fast pace modern day thrillers.

It opens in a small isolated Italian town where a 10 year old boy discovers a secret in an abandoned farmhouse. He struggles to keep it a secret and to make sense out of what he has discovered. The descriptions of the prairie and the region are so wonderful that I could actually imagine bei
...more
SMLauri
No leí ni la sinopsis de este libro y es lo mejor que pude hacer. Me ha sorprendido bastante. No me esperaba para nada todo lo que ha pasado.

Se lee muy rápido, sobre todo a partir del primer tercio, porque quieres seguir leyendo para saber qué narices está pasando.

Y el final me ha tenido con el corazón en un puño. No me gustan los finales abiertos, pero este me ha emocionado.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Feb 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Knjigomanijak
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites



Svaki puta kada uzmem knjigu od Niccola Ammanitia u ruke, budem doslovno iznenađena nenadmašnom snagom njegovog pisanja. Ni jedna njegova knjiga me nije ostavila ravnodušnom, pa tako ni ova.
Uvijek mi se sviđaju njegovi likovi koje on vješto opisuje . Od onih negativnih( kojih u ovoj knjizi ima podosta), pa do pozitivaca koji izgledaju kao da se ne mogu sasvim uklopiti u surovi svijet oko sebe.
Mene osobno najviše pogađa zlostavljanje i otmica djece, a ovdje se upravo o tome i radi.
U malenom tal
...more
Nahed.E
May 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: إيطالي

القراءة الأولي لـ نيكولو أمانيتي ..
ولا أدري لماذا بدأت معك بهذه الرواية ، بعد أن كان مقرراً لي أن ابدا معك بروايتك الأشهر : أخذك وأحملك بعيداً



في البداية جذبتني الرواية للغاية ..
فحين تري الدنيا والأحداث وتفسر المواقف بعيون وعقل طفل في التاسعة من العمر تري الأمر حقا بعيون جديدة بعيدة عن عمرك ونظرتك للأمور ..
توقعت أن اراها معه بعيون مختلفة تجذبني أكثر وأكثر للرواية .. أن أراها من خلال نظارة ملونة أو علي الأقل عدسة ملونة وعدسة سوداء ..
ولكن أن تكون النظارة كلها سوداء قاتمة بهذه الطريقة .. ؟؟
هذا ما
...more
·Karen·
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-italian
Perfect for the learner, as this is written from a child's viewpoint which means the language is not too precious or over literary and you get to learn some of the earthy expletives (but not the truly disgusting ones) that barely figure in polite beginners' books. On top of that, it is extremely exciting, so tense that you are forced to push on to find out what happens. After the first couple of chapters I blithely ignored all that precious vocabulary that I didn't know and really ought to look ...more
Melisa Müller
Reseña completa: http://perdidaentrepaginasymas.blogsp...

La verdad es que si no fuera porque el libro ganó por votación en el club de lectura probablemente fuera un libro que nunca leería. No me llamaban ni la sinopsis ni la portada.
El libro es sumamente corto y la lectura bastante amena te lo lees en muy poco tiempo. Esta narrado desde el punto de vista de Michele y esto es interesante ya que uno puede ver el trasfondo de todo lo que pasa como un adulto mientras que Michele no se da cuenta de
...more
Alex
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
somehow good, somehow thin. i cannot decide. still the story according to Michelle is well told, the point of view of a 9 year old is well written
Nicole
Spaventoso. Non c'è altra parola per descrivere il romanzo di Niccolò Ammaniti. Io non ho paura afferma il titolo, ma non è vero. Il protagonista è impaurito e lo siamo anche noi.

Il romanzo si svolge durante gli anni di piombo. Il narratore Michele è un bambino di nove anni che vive con la sua famiglia nel mezzogiorno d'Italia in un piccolo paese chiamato Acqua Traverse. Ma è un nome ironico perché c'è solo una cisterna e non ha piovuto per tutta l'estate. È l'estate più calda del secolo e gli a
...more
Anni
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Feel the heat.

A blazing summer in the small poverty-stricken village in southern Italy where the action takes place is so well evoked you almost sweat. Told in the voice of a 9 year-old boy, it’s a vivid portrayal of childhood combined with a deeply disturbing discovery of what it means to be adult. This is gripping and unforgettable storytelling with a convincing juvenile narrator.
Elizabeth A
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: translated, 2017
“Stop all this talk about monsters, Michele. Monsters don’t exist. It’s men you should be afraid of, not monsters.”

This coming of age story is translated from the Italian by Jonathan Hunt.

A bunch of kids are out riding their bikes in a tiny village in Southern Italy. On a dare one of them enters an abandoned farmhouse and stumbles upon something horrible.

The protagonist of this story is a nine year old boy, and themes explored include the loss of childhood innocence, and the confusion of tryin
...more
نورة  العجمي
-
لا أسمح لنفسي أن أقرأ أو أشاهد عن كل ماله علاقة بالطفل ، الطفولة ليست مجال متعة .
ماحصل هنا كان سوء فهم حيث أنه في البداية ظننت أنها مسألة صفحات وسيكبرون مالم أتجاوز الفصل الثاني على أقل تقدير ،
كبر الخوف بداخلي ولم يكبر الأطفال .
Sally68
L'inizio è un lento crescendo di situazioni ed emozioni che avevano catturato la mia attenzione, verso la fine la narrazione perde di ritmo e le ultime due pagine sono, secondo me, descritte male, tanto che io non avevo capito il finale, che solo leggendo le recensioni, qui sotto, ho capito è dei piu drammatici....
Avevo trovato questo libro in una delle collonine dove si possono lasciare i libri, me lo ero portata a casa ed essendo corto ho voluto avvicinarmi ad Ammaniti. Mentre lo stavo leggend
...more
Malak Czar
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
حين أكون في مزاج سيء أهرب الى السحر الايطالي فأي شيء يأتي من هناك جميل وروحي تواقة اليه ، اخترت هذه الرواية عن سبق اصرار لمعرفتي بأسلوب الكاتب اللين الجذاب ليكون اللقاء الثاني الذي يجمعني به بعد رائعته آخذك وآحملك بعيدا ..
يروقني جدا هذا النوع من الروايات... أحب هذا المزيج من الاثنين المغامرة والإثارة مع مخاوف وشغب الطفولة ،أحب التشويق..بطل هذه الرواية طقل في التاسعة من عمره يكتشف سر والده والذي سيكون سببا في مغادرته عالم الطفولة مبكرا واصطدامه بالمجتمع الوحشي الذي يعيشه الكبار.

على الرغم من أنه
...more
Jim Fonseca
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: italian-authors

A young boy’s coming of age story with a twist: imagine if as you grow up you learn your parents are vicious criminals? Quite a horror story and a lot of local color of the Italian countryside as the work is translated from the Italian. A lot of dialog, so a quick read.
Andy Weston
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ammaniti chooses a 9 year old boy as narrator and hero of his story of a ‘kidnapping gone wrong’ in a rural part of southern Italy in a hot summer of the late 1970s.
We could do whatever we liked. No cars ever went by. There were no dangers. And the grown-ups stayed shut up indoors, like toads waiting for the heat to die down.

Of great appeal is what goes on in the mind of a boy of that age. It is story of innocence lost, as he is just beginning to sort out right from wrong, and real fears fro
...more
Arwa Saraireh
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
طفلان في نفس العمر، أحدهم مخطوف، أوحى لهُ خاطِفوه بأنه ميت و هو الآن مدفون، أو ربما هكذا فهم هو من تلقاء نفسه، المهم أنه هو على يقين تام بموته و موت كل من لهم صله به ، يردد كلاماً غريباً بصوره أليه ، تستشف منها أنه تم تلقينه بشكل جيد، درجة الانصياع لديه عاليه جداً؛ فلمجرد عصب عينيه و وضعه في حفرة مُظلمة أقتنع بأنه مدفون و فوق ذلك ضرير.
الطفل الثاني دائم التفكير و التحليل فيما حوله، غريزة البحث و الاكتشاف لديه قوية مما دفعه لدخول حفرة في مكان مهجور و متهالك ليجد طفل مخطوف، يتعرف عليه و تنشأ بينهم
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Around the Year i...: I'm Not Scared, by Niccolò Ammaniti 2 24 Aug 11, 2016 09:39PM  
The ending 7 139 Nov 15, 2014 03:36PM  
Other thrillers with teenage protagonists? 2 15 Jul 20, 2014 10:08AM  
Goodreads Librari...: I did something wrong? 3 84 Jan 16, 2013 10:36AM  
  • The Viceroys
  • La concessione del telefono
  • Romanzo criminale
  • Ragionevoli dubbi
  • Il sergente nella neve; Ritorno sul Don
  • Almost Blue
  • Un giorno perfetto
  • Fontamara
  • The Path to the Spiders' Nests
  • Mistero buffo. Giullarata popolare
  • La donna della domenica
  • Don't Move
  • To Each His Own
  • Due di due
  • Spingendo la notte più in là
  • Altri libertini
  • L'isola di Arturo
  • The Silent Duchess
911 followers
Niccolò Ammaniti was born in Rome in 1966. He has written three novels and a collection of short stories. He won the prestigious Italian Viareggio-Repaci Prize for Fiction with his bestselling novel I'm Not Scared, which has been translated into thirty-five languages.
“Monsters don’t exist. It’s men you should be afraid of, not monsters.” 68 likes
“Piantala con questi mostri, Michele. I mostri non esistono. I fantasmi, i lupi mannari, le streghe sono fesserie inventate per mettere paura ai creduloni come te. Devi avere paura degli uomini, non dei mostri.” 11 likes
More quotes…