Start by marking “I'm Not Scared” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Scared

I'm Not Scared

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  10,917 Ratings  ·  776 Reviews
“Stop all this talk about monsters, Michele. Monsters don’t exist. It’s men you should be afraid of, not monsters.”

A sweltering heat wave hits a tiny village in Southern Italy, sending the adults to seek shelter, while their children bicycle freely throughout the countryside, playing games and getting into trouble. On a dare, nine-year-old Michele Amitrano enters an old, a
Published March 9th 2004 by Anchor (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Scared, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emma What, l'm still reading. Why would you write that question here, it's a spoiler!

Lori
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how to describe this book. Is it a shattering of innocence, a coming of age story, a mystery, a suspense novel or is it all of these? I was drawn into the story immediately by the short terse prose, the descriptions of the countryside and the dialogue and actions of the young children in the story. Ammaniti, has captured with accuracy the actions and thoughts of a child who is caught in an adult situation. As the reader you are viewing the events from the eyes of nine year old Miche ...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
A real horror. Evil is committed in pursuit of the "good", the victims are innocent and young, their innocence lost in the most painful way possible, and the story ends without any expectation of redemption or happiness for anyone.

And what a unique and brilliant narration! The author inhabits the mind of a nine-year-old boy and tells the story like a real nine-year-old. Reminded me of Esther Freud's "Hideous Kinky" but with really something extraordinary: it doesn't take Niccolo Ammaniti whole p
Sarah saied
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جميل هو عالمنا القاسي المخادع..حينما ننظر إليه بعيون طفل..ربما هذا ما نحتاجه حقا كي لا نفقد الشغف بهذه الحياة...سنجد حتما ما يستحق الحياة لأجله...

كأنها حكاية متصلة برواية آخذك وأحملك بعيدا..هو نفس ذلك العالم الذي يرويه لنا آمانيتي في حكايته..الحياة من منظور طفل صغير...بكل ما تحمله روحه من براءة ساذجة وتوق الي المغامرة..
Traveller
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A poignant coming of age story about the loss of innocence of a rural Italian boy.
The tale is told with enough balance as to be emotionally and intellectually engaging without being overly sentimental.

The style comes across as so effortless and the plot is so well handled, that one almost feels as if this could very well really have happened, which makes the chilling and ironic conclusion feel even more shocking and resonant.

..and since truth is stranger than fiction, who knows, perhaps it did
Diane S ☔
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set during the heat wave in the summer of 1978, in rural Italy nine year old Michele and his friends pretty much have the countryside to themselves. The parents stay in and try to alleviate the heat in whatever ways they can. Michele is only concerned about today, like most children and does not yet think about the wider picture, world events or other things that have affected his town. His only concern is having to drag his little sister everywhere, his friend Salvatore and the unelected leader ...more
Debbie
Despite its title, I’m scared and so is Michele, the 9-year-old narrator of this suspenseful story. It’s fast paced and wild, and you can’t help but be pulled in immediately and with full heart and soul.

Ammaniti knows how to create a grim story that has a loveable, heroic boy at its center. And he knows how to keep you sitting on the edge of your seat. The book is scary, but addictive. It reads like a nightmarish fairytale. There’s good versus evil all over the place. There’s one small good guy
Snow
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sizzling story of a childhood and the horrid events that changed the aspects of the growing up process in one boy's eyes!

Great story telling...
طاهر الزهراني
ذات يوم من أيام الصيف مر "أمانيتي" بسيارته على حقول القمح بين بازليكاتا وبوليا ولاحظ صعوبة العيش بالنسبة للأطفال في تلك الحقول فكانت الرواية.
في بداية الرواية تحضر الحقول الصفراء، الحقول الصفراء الشاسعة الممتدة، فيكرس الكاتب هذا اللون في مشاهد البداية، الشمس، السنابل، القمح، الطفولة المتعبة، العرق، التحول من مرحلة إلى أخرى من وعي إلى آخر، من إخضرار يانع بريء إلى صفار مريب متردد، من بياض مسالم إلى سواد متوحش، من شر مختلق في قصص الأطفال، إلى آخر قريب من أناس لم نتوقع أن يصدر منهم ما يسوء.
لهذا كا
notgettingenough
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-lit
Well, he may not be scared but call me utterly terrifed. I find it hard to believe the book could be better or even equal to the film which I've seen twice and I wasn't any less scared the second time.

I must confess that I've done no more than flick through the book and check the odd scene here and there. Sorry, book, but the visual spectacle of the film simply outdoes in spades anything you can do in words.

The first thing I wanted to do when I saw this film was give it to my father. It was a s
Trupti Dorge
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, favorites
This is one of the best thrillers I have read this year. This book is translated from the Italian version. The suspense in this book was not overpowering. It’s not one of those fast pace modern day thrillers.

It opens in a small isolated Italian town where a 10 year old boy discovers a secret in an abandoned farmhouse. He struggles to keep it a secret and to make sense out of what he has discovered. The descriptions of the prairie and the region are so wonderful that I could actually imagine bei
Nahed.E
May 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: إيطالي

القراءة الأولي لـ نيكولو أمانيتي ..
ولا أدري لماذا بدأت معك بهذه الرواية ، بعد أن كان مقرراً لي أن ابدا معك بروايتك الأشهر : أخذك وأحملك بعيداً

في البداية جذبتني الرواية للغاية ..
فحين تري الدنيا والأحداث وتفسر المواقف بعيون وعقل طفل في التاسعة من العمر تري الأمر حقا بعيون جديدة بعيدة عن عمرك ونظرتك للأمور ..
توقعت أن اراها معه بعيون مختلفة تجذبني أكثر وأكثر للرواية .. أن أراها من خلال نظارة ملونة أو علي الأقل عدسة ملونة وعدسة سوداء ..
ولكن أن تكون النظارة كلها سوداء قاتمة بهذه الطريقة .. ؟؟
هذا ما
Beatrice
I read this book for my Italian class. Reading in another language, especially it being my first time reading a full-length novel in Italian in this case, was a really rewarding experience and it allowed me to experience one of my favorite activities in a completely different way. I read this with a pencil in hand and circled all of the words I didn't understand (there were quite a few). I hope to do this again in the near future, with Italian and other languages, because I really enjoyed the ch ...more
·Karen·
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-italian
Perfect for the learner, as this is written from a child's viewpoint which means the language is not too precious or over literary and you get to learn some of the earthy expletives (but not the truly disgusting ones) that barely figure in polite beginners' books. On top of that, it is extremely exciting, so tense that you are forced to push on to find out what happens. After the first couple of chapters I blithely ignored all that precious vocabulary that I didn't know and really ought to look ...more
Elizabeth A
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, translated

This coming of age story is translated from the Italian by Jonathan Hunt.

A bunch of kids are out riding their bikes in a tiny village in Southern Italy. On a dare one of them enters an abandoned farmhouse and stumbles upon something horrible.

The protagonist of this story is a nine year old boy, and themes explored include the loss of childhood innocence, and the confusion of tryin
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Feb 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Knjigomanijak
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Svaki puta kada uzmem knjigu od Niccola Ammanitia u ruke, budem doslovno iznenađena nenadmašnom snagom njegovog pisanja. Ni jedna njegova knjiga me nije ostavila ravnodušnom, pa tako ni ova.
Uvijek mi se sviđaju njegovi likovi koje on vješto opisuje . Od onih negativnih( kojih u ovoj knjizi ima podosta), pa do pozitivaca koji izgledaju kao da se ne mogu sasvim uklopiti u surovi svijet oko sebe.
Mene osobno najviše pogađa zlostavljanje i otmica djece, a ovdje se upravo o tome i radi.
U malenom tal
Malak Czar
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
حين أكون في مزاج سيء أهرب الى السحر الايطالي فأي شيء يأتي من هناك جميل وروحي تواقة اليه ، اخترت هذه الرواية عن سبق اصرار لمعرفتي بأسلوب الكاتب اللين الجذاب ليكون اللقاء الثاني الذي يجمعني به بعد رائعته آخذك وآحملك بعيدا ..
يروقني جدا هذا النوع من الروايات... أحب هذا المزيج من الاثنين المغامرة والإثارة مع مخاوف وشغب الطفولة ،أحب التشويق..بطل هذه الرواية طقل في التاسعة من عمره يكتشف سر والده والذي سيكون سببا في مغادرته عالم الطفولة مبكرا واصطدامه بالمجتمع الوحشي الذي يعيشه الكبار.

على الرغم من أنه
Calzean
Nine-year-old Michele is the narrator. He lives in Southern Italy in a small settlement of four houses surrounded by farmland. He has a small circle of friends, his family is poor but he and his sister live in a loving home.
Michele stumbles upon a boy of his own age who has been kidnapped. What follows is Michele coming to grips with a boy being kept in a hole. Somehow there is an apparent normality as the entire settlement seems to be involved.
Written in the first person and narrated by a nine
Nicole
Spaventoso. Non c'è altra parola per descrivere il romanzo di Niccolò Ammaniti. Io non ho paura afferma il titolo, ma non è vero. Il protagonista è impaurito e lo siamo anche noi.

Il romanzo si svolge durante gli anni di piombo. Il narratore Michele è un bambino di nove anni che vive con la sua famiglia nel mezzogiorno d'Italia in un piccolo paese chiamato Acqua Traverse. Ma è un nome ironico perché c'è solo una cisterna e non ha piovuto per tutta l'estate. È l'estate più calda del secolo e gli a
Bark's Book Nonsense
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a coming of age tale about a young boy who stumbles upon a dark secret with links to his family. I hate to give away too much because the book is short and the plot should be a surprise.

It is well written with a beautiful sense of time, place and characterization. The main character of the story is a nine year old boy enjoying a sweltering summer with his friend's and younger sister who is torn by the things he learns. He makes choices that I thought were very realistically written
 Aesha  Moallim
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كيف من الممكن أن تتشابك خطط الآباء وقراراتهم بما يراهُ أطفالهم بأنه الأصح؟ ودون أن يُصاب في هذه الرحلة كلّا الطرفين بأيّ أذى غير مقصود!
إنها رواية ممتع. وتحتاج إلى الدقة والتركيز في القراءة. فالكلام الممتلئ بين السطور، ليس سهل التلقي؛ بل يحتاج منك عونًا ليظهر أمام عينيك فتفهمهُ.
أحببتُ لقائي الأول بقلم نيكولو أمانيتي، وسألتقي بهِ مجددًا، وَقريبًا جدًا.
Saleh MoonWalker
An amazing read But don't expect a typical thriller/mystery - this book is so much more. And don't expect a typical coming-of-age story - this story is so much more. This is a nuanced, intelligent story.

Ammaniti's prose is sparse but it generously describes life in a five-house rural village during the hottest summer of the century.

Michele is the nine-year old protagonist of this story. Ammaniti does a superb job of presenting Michele's perspective of careening through the summer on his father'
Sanne
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Ik was eigenlijk niet zo in de mood voor dit boek. Misschien op een later moment nog eens lezen, dan is m'n beoordeling misschien hoger.
Alibiserver
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After months of letting dust settle in some of my books, I finally finished one purchase of mine that should’ve been finished months ago. Due to increasing pressure from work and personal preferences veering to audio products, I had slightly neglected my reading side. Thankfully, this achievement might bring back the germ and itch of reading in me.
I’m Not Scared by Niccolo Ammanitti is a slim book. At 200+ pages, the book can be easily read in a day, more so around 2-3 hours if all you’ll ever
Sonja
I had to read this book for my Italian oral exam this week. I've studied Italian for less than a year, so I'm already proud I got the gist of this and definitely cannot comment on the language.

The story was actually really interesting and gripping for the most part. The hottest summer in Southern Italy ever. The kids go out to play in the fields all day. Nine-year old Michele has to go into an abandoned farmhouse on a dare and finds a kid his age stuck in a hole, presumably kidnapped. The plot
Nerdanel

Desde la última nochevieja de la humanidad no había leído nada de este autor. La verdad es que esta novela no tiene nada que ver con aquel libro de relatos que me dejó boquiabierta por su variedad de giros y tonos.

Michele Amitrano, un niño de nueve años, se convierte de la noche a la mañana en el guardián de un secreto tan grande y terrible que no se atreve a compartirlo con nadie. Para enfrentarse a él debe recurrir a la fuerza de su fantasía (un universo propio poblado de amigos invisibles y s
Bookguide
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1001-book-list
I needed to take a small book with me in my handbag, so this jumped the queue of ringbooks, and wow! I was completely swept along by the story; it was absolutely gripping. The writing is simple, yet the suspense is kept going until the last word, and the simplicity of the language suits the age of the main character. I recently attended a talk by the Dutch author Renate Dorrestein, and she said that she had chosen the theme of one of her books when she considered how completely young children ar ...more
Mish
Set in an Italian countryside, a group of children challenge themselves to a race. The first one to reach the top of the hill is the winner and the loser must carry out a dare determined by the winner. Michele, a 9 year old boy, was the last one to reach the hill. On his dare Michele stubbles upon an abandoned cottage and it is there that he discovers this horrendous secret.

The book is so short so that is all I can say as much as secret is concerned without revealing any spoilers. But what I ca
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Ammaniti ormai non mi sorprende più. Un autore meraviglioso, capace sempre di stupirmi, di affascinarmi, di farmi provare sempre dei sentimenti bellissimi. Anche in questo romanzo scritto in maniera divina e capace di evocare nella mia mente le immagini dell'ambiente descritto (Acqua Traverse, un paese sperso nei campi di grano del sud Italia), dei personaggi (per lo più i bambini che abitano in questo luogo), delle cose (gli strumenti rurali, le tv in bianco e nero, la gondola di venezia immanc ...more
Frahorus
Romanzo crudo e drammatico. Romanzo di crescita, di iniziazione. Un'esperienza al limite, ma esemplare per riflettere sulle paure dell'infanzia, sulla caduta dei miti che avvolgono la figura dei genitori, non più onnipotenti e nemmeno, più semplicemente, modelli da seguire, sulla scelta che non ammette accomodamenti e soluzioni scontate tra il bene e il male, tra il guardare la sofferenza dell'altro e volgere lo sguardo o farsene, in qualche modo, carico. Romanzo duro, costruito sulle voci anche ...more
Around the Year i...: I'm Not Scared, by Niccolò Ammaniti 2 19 Aug 11, 2016 09:39PM
The ending 7 101 Nov 15, 2014 03:36PM
  • The Silent Duchess
  • Romanzo criminale
  • The Path to the Spiders' Nests
  • The Child Of Pleasure
  • Gli arancini di Montalbano (Commissario Montalbano, #4.7)
  • To Each His Own
  • Vita
Niccolò Ammaniti was born in Rome in 1966. He has written three novels and a collection of short stories. He won the prestigious Italian Viareggio-Repaci Prize for Fiction with his bestselling novel I'm Not Scared, which has been translated into thirty-five languages.
More about Niccolò Ammaniti...

“Monsters don’t exist. It’s men you should be afraid of, not monsters.” 56 likes
“Piantala con questi mostri, Michele. I mostri non esistono. I fantasmi, i lupi mannari, le streghe sono fesserie inventate per mettere paura ai creduloni come te. Devi avere paura degli uomini, non dei mostri.” 8 likes