Start by marking “The Greedy Triangle” as Want to Read:
The Greedy Triangle

The Greedy Triangle

In this lively introduction to shapes and polygons, a bored triangle is turned into a quadrilateral after a visit to the shapeshifter. Delighted with his new career opportunities--as a TV screen and a picture frame--he decides the more angles the better, until an accident teaches him a lesson. Includes special teaching section. Full color.
Published March 1st 1995 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Greedy Triangle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greedy Triangle

Kitty
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Greedy Triangle is written by Marilyn Burns and illustrated by Gordon Silveria and is part of the Sholastic book range.

The triangle is bored with his shape and asks a shapeshifter to add another angle to his shape....over and over again. He becomes many different shapes until at last he he misses his friends and learns that it's not so bad being a triangle!

This book is great for early learners of maths - Early Years, even KS1, introducing the correct names for geometric shapes.
It challenges chi
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Delivering the message that it is always best to be yourself, The Greedy Triangle also introduces children to various polygons on its journey to discover other shape possibilities.

Gladly, in the end, he realizes staying a triangle is just right!
Sara Lynn
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
1. Genre: Picture Book/Concept (Shapes)

2. Summary: The little triangle loved to interact with others and to always know the town gossip, until one day he decided that he no longer wanted to be a triangle. After several trips to the shapeshifter, and after taking the form of many different shapes, the little triangle learned that he loved who he was after all.

3. Critique:
a. One of the greatest strengths of this story is the use of descriptive illustrations to support the text.

b. The title charact
Lance
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Babies and toddlers
Recommended to Lance by: Baby Adam
"But his favourite was to slide into place when people put their hands on their hips. That way he got to hear all the gossip before anyone else and got to tell his friends."

This was a fun and creative little book introducing young children to the regular polygons. The role of the triangle and the subsequent shapes which it became make the abstract concepts of geometric shapes more relevant to young children. I also really enjoyed the subversion of the "shapeshifter" and his colourful scientific
Amy
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece, who is eight, enjoyed this book. It's a fun introduction to geometry cleverly and skillfully disguised as a story about a triangle who is dissatisfied with his same-o same-o life. My niece was absorbed in the book, and she spent time counting the sides and angles on the shape as it changed from a traingle, to a quadrilateral, to a pentagon, etc., etc. She also got a nice little lesson about liking yourself the way you are.

The only downside was that the story got a bit repetitive, whic
Ngoc  Dang
This book introduce kids to different shapes. The triangle wanted to be other shapes because he wanted to have more fun. Since the triangle change into other shapes, the book also introduce sides of the shapes.
Hannah
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is interesting. The triangle wants to be better and have MORE sides. A lot of people are like that. This book kind of tells us that more and more things for ourselves, won't really make us happy.
Stefanie Burns
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott-honor
Fun Math oriented book where one day a triangle becomes unhappy with his shape. He's bored. He sees a shapeshifter who turns him into a quadrilateral. After awhile, he becomes bored with this new shape and wants another change.Unsurprisngly, at the end, he likes being a triangle best. Message to this story: the grass is not always greener.

Throughout the story, real world items in the various shapes are pointed out and students will like finding the shapes in the illustrations. I like that Math
Tracey
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**All reviews can be found at drhodgesreads.blogspot.com**

This book is so much fun and also aligns to my previous discussion of accepting yourself. In this book, we meet a triangle who desperately wants more sides. Throughout the book, he gains more sides until he becomes a circle and realizes, he wishes he were a triangle again.

The vocabulary in this book is in a class on its own. I love that the author uses complex vocabulary such as "polygon" and defines it for young readers. Students can le
Jessie
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This introduces polygons and their names from triangle through decagon, and it highlights where shapes (triangle through hexagon, mainly) are seen in everyday life.

It shows shapes in lots of orientations, which was nice.
*The triangles are most isosceles.
*The quadrilaterals for the main character are all rectangles and mostly squares, though there is a rhombus character, as well.
*The pentagons are mostly regular or have two adjacent right angles.
*The hexagons and higher are regular.
Janie
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this yet, but I can't figure out how to add a note to it without rating it first. I feel it is important to note that GR advertised this book to me based on my currently reading Illness as Metaphor and AIDS and Its Metaphors. I look forward to discovering what a "math" book "for kids" featuring intelligent polygons has in common with Sontag's works.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun story that takes kids through a journey of different shapes as a shape takes on an additional side. The end of the book includes some helpful concept teaching information for parents, teachers, and other adults reading with kids!
Tranylle
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to introduce a lot of shapes to your kids. Everyone teaches the basics, but familiarizing them with polygons is important as well. It also gave great examples of where you can find many of the shapes. It also gave a nice message about being yourself.
Andy
Cute story about a bored triangle who would like to add extra sides and angles. As the triangle changes shape it discovers there are many things that each new figure can do. Great way to introduce geometry and shapes to students. Appropriate for grades two to four.
Shaylee Roberts
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eled-340
Picture book: I loved this book!! It reminds us to be happy with what we have because we take things for granted too much. Greediness isn't helpful. It's fun to use a math concept in such a colorful book.
Jessica W
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time, I borrowed this from another teacher to use in my class. I loved it, the kids loved it, and it was both fun and useful for a couple different topics. If I ever get back in the classroom, I'll have to pick up a copy to own. It's a great book!
Ben Callaway
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought this book was especially interesting because it was based in math. It can help children learn about their polygons while also teaching them an important lesson. Be happy with yourself and don't be too greedy.
Adrianne Rosal
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hey what a clever way for students to learn the concept of polygons. Cute story.
Betsey Brannen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute book for polygon introduction for mid-primary children. The back of the book features additional definitions and expansion activities.
Mely
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
not only is this a fun and clever book about shapes, it also has a great message about finding the best part of yourself. being happy and confident about yourself.
Tran Nguyen
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cyndi Goodgame
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best teaching math books ever.
Joy Lane
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steam, nf, math
AR 3.9 and 0.5 pts
Donna Mork
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A triangle grows dissatisfied with it's shape and wants another side. This continues until he has too many side to count and rolls downhill. He wants to go back to his original shape.
Kaitlyn Smith
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picture Book

A fun story to teach about shapes to young readers.
KayLani Cruz
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: artsy, childrens
Did a project on this cute book that is helpful in understanding the concept of shapes and shape relationships!
Michelle Gray
Nice story about discovering who you are. I didn't see where the Triangle was so greedy, as implied by the title. He just seemed more dissatisfied with himself and to not know who he was.
Lora
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My kids enjoyed this book so much. It was fun and it counted as math and reading!
Miss Sarah
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A triangle wants to know how others shapes feel and keeps visiting a shape shifter to add sides and angles and experience life as other shapes. One on one or upper levels for length and concepts.
Libby
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Genre: Picture Book; Fiction; Concept: Math
Age: 2nd-5th
Lexile: AD720L
Synopsis: "The Greedy Triangle" is an introduction to polygons. A triangle convinces a shapeshifter to make him a quadrilateral and later a pentagon, but discovers that where angles and sides are concerned, more isn't always better.
Concepts/Ideas for Instruction: Math: Shapes/Geometry; Humanities: Manners, Humility; This book provides a number of vocabulary words, and examples, for geometric shapes (polygons). Its content can
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Each Orange Had 8 Slices
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • Shapes, Shapes, Shapes
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
Marilyn Burns is one of today’s most highly respected mathematics educators. Over the course of 40 years, Marilyn has taught children, led inservice sessions, and written a variety of professional development publications for teachers and administrators.