Start by marking “Algorithms” as Want to Read:
Algorithms

Algorithms

This fourth edition of Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne's Algorithms is the leading textbook on algorithms today and is widely used in colleges and universities worldwide. This book surveys the most important computer algorithms currently in use and provides a full treatment of data structures and algorithms for sorting, searching, graph processing, and string processing - ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 976 pages
Published March 24th 2011 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1983)

Start your review of Algorithms
Ruxandra
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for the course on coursera.org. I ordered it from informit and it arrived immediately.
It is a beautiful hardback edition, with ~950 fine quality pages and typography.

I love it, I used it a lot in my assignments and exercises, it is really clear and helpful, the index makes it very easy to find the answer to your questions.
The first part of the course covered half of it, and I will take the other part too, because the professor makes it really pleasant to study algorithms.
Ivan Atanasov
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The only reason not giving 5 starts is that the book is too much concentrated on Java programming language..
Borys
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First of all, the book has excellent and free site with exercises, presentations, and examples at http://algs4.cs.princeton.edu/ which is great ! Then, there are 2 courses by prof. Sedgewick at Coursera, which is great also. There are lots of diagrams, and algorithm traces, and also lots of useful exercises to do by yourself.
Well, and what I don't like is that there are passages that go like 'this should be obvious from ...' and you're like 'What? Why this is obvious, it is not obvious for me a
Gabriel
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
I read this textbook while taking Sedgewick's online Algorithms class on coursera.com. It covers the fundamental algorithms in searching, sorting, graphs, and string processing. There's a consistent focus on application examples, which really helps provide useful context. I found the explanations very clear and easy to follow.
A strength of the book is that all algorithms are given in real working Java code, and great care has been given to making the code concise and readable. This can also be s
Tony Poerio
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A friend of mine calls Sedgewick his "CS Yoda". Not sure if I totally agree--BUT, I used this book for a class on Algorithms and would recommend. The material isn't easy (and some of it is dry), but Sedgewick is an extraordinarily clear writer, and his code snippets are instructive for gaining the necessary intuition to start using these algorithms in practice. There are many, many books on algorithms out there, and if you're not sure which to use, the choice can be kind of paralyzing. That said ...more
Murray Cumming
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
This is far more approachable than CLRS, yet more thorough than Skiena's The Algorithm Design Manual. It doesn't cover as much ground - certainly not when compared to CLRS. For instance, there is no mention of dynamic programming and no general discussion of greedy algorithms.

But what it does discuss is thoughtfully presented in a meaningful sequence so this can, and should, be read cover to cover. It seems like the product of someone who has considered the material deeply from several angles ov
David
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second edition is very well written, doesn't get caught up in language specifics, and is a must read for anyone serious about programming or computer science.

Unfortunately future editions seem to devolve into the obsession with Java language implementation that is a plague on many modern algorithms textbooks. If you've found a second hand copy, flip through a bit and see if anyone is gushing over automated garbage collection, and run away if it's getting in the way of content.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This book was OK. It's not really the best book for beginners, but it's good to review, see charts of algorithms or get code examples.
Brain Weng
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fundamental basic algorithm book. Must read for new programmers that want to get more advanced. Definitely a classic book for starters and one of the most traditional stepping stones to bigger things.
RorSpike
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coding, archived
It's very detailed.
There are many graphs illustrating the process of an algorithm.
Rabib
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Together with the corresponding course, I gained a wealth of knowledge concerning algorithms and data structures. The book will serve as a useful reference going forward.
Akarsh Rastogi
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is essentially the greatest Algorithms Text ever. Cormen(Introduction to Algorithms ) is wide in breadth but not deep enough. Chapters finish too soon without exploring and investigating the data structure properly, and running after other, more advanced structures.

This book is thorough. The chapters on Red-Black trees (which come after introducing 2-3 Trees, as it should) and on Graphs are the best you can find in the world.
Taj Bortz
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This book is a great book for not only algorithms, but it takes the time to give you a much greater understanding of many basics of programming. I loved the writing style, the pace, the content. They build up, so you will profit most by reading it cover-to-cover.

This is mostly using Java, so it is especially wonderful for a Java developer. But the topics are generally universal, so don't let that keep you from reading it.
Kaung Thu
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book together with Mark Allen's C++ data structures and algorithm analysis book. And I would say this book has more visual materials for explanations on algorithms. No fancy functions for codes, just readable and clean ones. So, unlike Mark's C++ version, u might not want to use this book to study current(somewhat) ways to write languages but to see the topics more.
Amr Wahby
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
the book is good, and discuss the topic in easy way , but it dont have evrey thing and need mor example.
Kasra
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the bests in this realm.
Nimrod Daniel
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
It's a great comprehensive book about algorithms. The book contains a full implementation in java code, plus there's also a book site where you can find more code and supplemental material.
The explanations are clear and accompanied by examples that demonstrates how the algorithms work.

It's a long book, though it can be read in a very reasonable time. I was ~80% through after about a month or two (more like two I believe), but then I barely touched that for a long time.

A very informative and prac
深语 郑
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best introduction book of algorithms which I have seen. It is easy to understand and has many exercises—so many that I wanted to finish them at begin, then sadly realized It was a daydreaming. The transmission from 2-3 tree to red-black tree is pretty good makes me fully understand the red-black tree. I like the book. lol.
Ahmed
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A bunch of algorithms and data structures that are copied and pasted from his previous series books Algorithms in C, Java. There are no dedication to topics like designing algorithmic techniques like Greedy, Dynamic programming.
Krzysztof
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book to learn algorithms and data structures you can find. Highly recommended. Especially as a supplement to wonderful course on coursera --> https://www.coursera.org/learn/algori...? ...more
Iurii Okhmat
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must for Coursera course.
BlankSeed
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stem
A very clean introduction to algoriths and their applications. But I would prefer a C++ version.
Yasin
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything you need and them more!
Tung CHENG
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
watched video courses of this book weeks ago, it's a fun ride.
Martin Bobak
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is a very catchy book. The explanation schema chosen by the authors is very good - a problem definition, a problem solution (algorithm overview), an application of the solutions, a summary/comparison of the approaches, and a brief history (sometimes). I think, the context of ideas (algorithms) is as important as the ideas (algorithms) themselves. Nowadays, there exist many ("documentation-driven") (text)books. However, I think that a modern textbook should give to readers not only the descrip ...more
Dima
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list, tech
One of the best books on algorithms I have ever seen. Explanations are very clear and have very nice examples. One of the biggest advantages of this book, in my opinion, is the implementation-centric approach, almost everything has implementations and application examples. Supplemental materials on the booksite such as code and example data are amazing. Also book works especially well with two parts of the Algorithms course on Coursera. Highly recommended!
Martin
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive overview of various algorithms including sorting, trees, hashing, strings, graphs with all algorithms shown implemented in Java and thorough explanation. This approach is great when you really want to grasp the idea of the algorithm and see how this idea is implemented and what other aspects you have to take into consideration to implement the algorithm correctly.
Bùi Hà
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of algorithm books I read cover by cover while I learned programming. I love the simplicity in Sedgewick's explanation of fundamental algorithms. Though http://algs4.cs.princeton.edu/home/ could be considered the modern alternative for this book, I think for people, who start to learn programming, this old one is still valuable. ...more
Joppe
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish all course material was as beautifully designed and easy to read as Algorithms, 4th Edition from Professor Sedgewick.

This book has you covered for a detailed, math-based introduction to algorithms and data structures from the inventor of red-black search trees and a beautiful implementation of QuickSort.
Wudongnoodles
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is written in an academic way which is killing me and there are a host of new concepts in the first 3 sections which are overwhelming to me.However,the well organized diagrams and plots and the courses on Coursera ease the pain.

• Introduction to Algorithms
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • The C Programming Language
  • Effective Java
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Objects are characterized by three essential properties: state, identity, and behavior.” 2 likes
“public class Merge
{
private static Comparable[] aux; // auxiliary array for merges
public static void sort(Comparable[] a)
{
aux = new Comparable[a.length]; // Allocate space just once.
sort(a, 0, a.length - 1);
}
   private static void sort(Comparable[] a, int lo, int hi)
{ // Sort a[lo..hi].
if (hi <= lo) return;
int mid = lo + (hi - lo)/2;
sort(a, lo, mid); // Sort left half.
sort(a, mid+1, hi); // Sort right half.
merge(a, lo, mid, hi); // Merge results (code on page 271).
}