Start by marking “Scalability Rules: 50 Principles for Scaling Web Sites” as Want to Read:
Scalability Rules: 50 Principles for Scaling Web Sites

Scalability Rules: 50 Principles for Scaling Web Sites

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"Once again, Abbott and Fisher provide a book that I'll be giving to our engineers. It's an essential read for anyone dealing with scaling an online business."--Chris Lalonde, VP, Technical Operations and Infrastructure Architecture, Bullhorn "Abbott and Fisher again tackle the difficult problem of scalability in their unique and practical manner. Distilling the challenges ...more
Published May 15th 2011 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published April 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scalability Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scalability Rules

Chris Wood
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
I found a lot of the rules to be rather basic. It seems that the book was geared more for the non-technical manager. Even still, there were a few rules that I hadn't considered, which made me glad to read it.
Karthik
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book that should serve as ready reference or guidance for anyone interested in the topic of availability and scaleability. Even though, the guidance/rules that this book mentions, seem simple and seemingly intuitive, in the real-world situations you'll find violating these giving whatever excuse it be. Reading books like this re-affirms our own intuition and awakens you of risks the next time you come across situations that warrants you to apply these rules where appropriate.

The later cha
Rod Hilton
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of great tips for how to make your web site scalable. Very well-organized and well-written. It's easy to pick up and quickly read just one tip - they're usually quite detailed and spanning multiple pages.

One thing it lacks of a bit of specificity. Some of the tips are pretty generic, and many are begging for concrete examples or even code. It's also a bit weird how technical-oriented tips like "Use the Right Type of Database Lock" are intermixed with filler tips like "Be Competent".

Overall
John
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Probably the first book on the topic of scalability/availability I'd strongly recommend.

I don't agree with every principle, and I think they're also missing a few options for some of the problems listed (I don't think enterprise message busses are the be all and end all), but overall if you follow this book I think you'll be alright.

A little bit more could have been done to help understand when each principle comes into play, I think some of the rules were a bit too black and white, especially
Daniel
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of the rules in here are not directly related to scalability, but there is still enough in here that will get you pretty far in terms of building a scalable system. It's not really anything that common sense and experience cannot teach you, and much of what you can learn he has already been covered by some of the tactical patterns of DDD. So don't expect anything new here unless you're completely new to scalability concerns. If you are, this is probably a good, quick introduction.
Kawai
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, geek
As a book of guiding design principles for web applications, it succeeds. If there's one thing it's lacking, it's specificity--some example architectures (with code, if possible), would be much appreciated, as would exercises to help readers reinforce the concepts.

A good philosophical starting place, but requires extra work on the reader's part to really practice the information.
Eduardo Hideo
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
livro sobre escalabilidade e disponibilidade em sistemas web, Martin L. Abbott sugere boas práticas para conseguir escalar um sistema com foco em detalhes de implementação. Boa parte delas são muito boas como clonar, dividir coisas iguais e dividir coisas diferentes, cache, CDN, evitar sessões, comunicação assíncrona. Mas algumas duvidosas como o uso de bus e não checar o input.
Anton Murauyou
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very well organized book. Great set of rules that at least one should consider for scalability, but better always have this book on table to periodically refer to.
John Hobbs
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Really good read. All of it is good advice, and technology agnostic. Easy to understand, and nicely sized chunks for reading in bursts.
Janno Teelem
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great high-level overview of the fundamentals. Well-structured, easy to read.
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • Scala in Depth
  • Beautiful Architecture
  • High Performance Browser Networking
  • Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby: Control Your Computer, Simplify Your Life
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • The Thoughtworks Anthology
  • Refactoring to Patterns (Addison Wesley Signature Series)
  •  Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
  • Machine Learning in Action
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Java Performance
  • Vagrant: Up and Running
  • RESTful Web Services Cookbook
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Systems that are too complex to understand kill organizational productivity and the ease with which you can add engineers or add functionality to your system.” 0 likes
“Rule 28—Don’t Rely on QA to Find Mistakes” 0 likes