Start by marking “Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby)” as Want to Read:
Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby)

Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  1,007 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews

It’s easy to write “correct” Ruby code. But it’s far harder to gain the fluency needed to write great Ruby code. To do that, you need to go beyond syntax and absorb the “Ruby way” of thinking and problem solving. In Eloquent Ruby, Russ Olsen helps you understand Ruby like true Rubyists do—so you can leverage its immense, surprising power.

Olsen draws on years of experience

Published (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eloquent Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloquent Ruby

Augusto
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eloquent Ruby takes a ride through 30 topics about Ruby, from how the Ruby community idents code to Metaprogramming and how to publish a Gem to RubyGems.

I really liked the flow of the book, it's not dense at all and it's full of examples. This is the type of books that I like to read: 300-400 pages, easy to start and easy to finish :).

I think it's a great book for someone who has done some ruby before, but who doesn't feel comfortable with the language yet.
I think it might be an excellent compa
Joel Oliveira
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this - the first programming book I've ever read from start to finish. Russ Olsen does an amazing job making the subject interesting and digestible. As I got through the Metaprogramming chapters I really started feeling like I was *getting* it ... like I was leveling up my skills.

Can't wait to put some of these new concepts and tricks into practice.
Oana Sipos
Jan 18, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
121. "First, each method should do a single thing—focus on solving a single aspect of the problem. By concentrating on one thing, your methods are not only easier to write, they are also easier to understand.

Second, each method needs to operate at a single conceptual level: Simply put, don’t mix high-level logic with the nitty-gritty details. A method that implements the business logic around, say, currency conversions, should not suddenly veer off into the details of how the various accounts ar
Michael
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, ruby
This book is a true gem! Mostly written for people coming to Ruby from other programming languages, Russ Olsen doesn't dwell on banalities, but instead teaches you good, idiomatic Ruby. The presented material is excellent and the writing is witty and clever. If you are new to programming this is probably not the best book for you, but if you have experience in some other language or "just" want to get more fluent in Ruby, "Eloquent Ruby" is hard to beat.
Stefan Teixeira
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book about the Ruby language. It covers almost everything about the language in a very concise way. It is great both for beginners and for people who already have experience with Ruby.
Michael
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is divided into four parts labeled:

1) The Basics
2) Classes, Modules, and Blocks
3) Metaprogramming
4) Pulling It All Together

Rating them individually I'd give five stars to the first two, three stars to the third & two in the fourth for an overall average, rounded up, of four.

I felt like the first two sections provided an incredible foundation to the syntax of the language. Highly recommended. These sections alone justify the purchase of the book.

The material presented in the metap
Harri Kauhanen
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ruby
The best Ruby book I've read so far. Probably suits best for "intermediate" Ruby developers wanting to learn bits about implementing DSLs, metaprogramming, enumerators and just plain old object oriented Ruby. Chapter about regular expressions explained the stuff better than many regexp books do. Very, well, written.
Landon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Ruby book. It's an in-depth love letter to the cleanliness and elegance of Ruby. Reading this book made me a better Ruby developer. It helped me to understand and appreciate the underlying aesthetic to clean and concise code.
Adjaho Destiny
It is a nice book
Marat Chardymov
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book for novices, easy to read, but I'd say too elementary in the beginning
SF Ruby Book Club: I see you are reading Eloquent Ruby... 3 12 Mar 08, 2013 10:46AM
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Ruby Under a Microscope
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  •  Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns
  • Working with UNIX Processes
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Cucumber Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Refactoring: Ruby Edition, Adobe Reader
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Rails Way
  • Professional Ruby Series Writing Efficient Ruby Code

“Write the tests first, or second, or third. But write the darned tests.” 1 likes
“That voice you hear in your head, the one whispering that you need to add some comments, may just be your program crying out to be rewritten.” 0 likes