Start by marking “Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)

Second Generation

(Lavette Family #2)

The second volume in the New York Times best-selling Immigrants saga. With the publication of The Immigrants, a most wonderful book, according to Harlan Ellison in the Los Angeles Times, Howard Fast once again proved himself to be one of America's most popular authors. Now, in Second Generation, Fast continues the story of Dan Lavette, the young Italian who lost his parent ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by iBooks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Second Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Generation

Fereshteh
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
کتاب خیلی جالبی بود و تعجب میکنم نظر خاصی در موردش ندیدم.
زندگی یه دختر آمریکایی و روایت جالبی از جنگ جهانی دوم.
خوندنشو پیشنهاد میکنم
Hermien
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, series, wwi-ii
4 1/2 really, very enjoyable.
Graceann
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans, series fans
In THE IMMIGRANTS, Howard Fast began the story of the Lavettes, focusing on Dan and his wife, Jean. This second volume concentrates on their daughter, Barbara, and what adventures she has! From 1930s labor strife, to pre-WWII Paris to Calcutta to San Francisco, there is very little that doesn't make its way into Barbara Lavette's experience.

Howard Fast writes in a way that keeps one turning the pages. When you feel you've heard enough from one character, he focuses on someone else for a while.
L.   (You like my book? Gee, thanks. Just bought it.)
I didn't realize this was the second book in a series until I had already started it. But I don't think reading the first book would have helped me at all to care about any of these characters.

While there are a multitude of people in this story, we're basically following Barbara Lavette. She's a woman blessed/cursed with powerful pheromones that causes every man she meets to fall in love with her, or least want to bed her. (The downside being she's a bit of a black widow to a couple of these guy
Susan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Lavette family saga continues in book 2 through the Depression and World War II. Howard Fast is a superb storyteller. His vivid characters feel like family members. I'm looking forward to reading more from this series.
Carolyn Pina
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first book in the series (The Immigrants), but very good -- I enjoyed it.
George
RIVETING. VERY ENTERTAINING.

“You know how I feel about war, about this insanity of men killing each other for their filthy causes, for their noble aims.” (p. 157).

I very much enjoy Howard Fast’s storytelling style. In Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2) the epic family saga continues, spiced with insightful perspectives of the run-up to World War II, the war itself, and its aftermath. An absorbing, hard to put down novel.

Recommendation: I’ve already begun reading The Establishment (Lavette F
Tanja
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometime in the last couple of years I was lucky enough to find four more of the Lavette family series at a bookstore in our town. It’s been a while since I read the first book but again, I was amazed at the liveliness of Howard Fast’s characters and how easy it was to become familiar with those who already appeared in the prequel. This time the story takes place in the years right before, during and after World War II and as in the first novel, events of that time were woven into the plot’s hap ...more
Tom Hill
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A neighbor gave me this series of books when I was looking for something to read. I read two of the books, this being the second, and found some good and bad things in the writing. The good thing I liked was how the author tied the story line in with actual historical events and how they impacted the stories characters. The bad thing was that the pacing of the story line was so slow I had a hard time staying awake. The introspection by the main characters is a little overdone. So, I will not be ...more
Ruth Vanderhart
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
For some reason I never read the Lavette family saga back in the 80s. It has kind of a 70s-80s feel, and I wasn't sure I would continue after The Immigrants, book 1. But this second book was much stronger than the first. Lkable characters. Lots of interesting history. Sagas, of course, tend to feel like soap operas sometimes because they cover so much time and so many characters. And Fast's is no exception.
Anne Vandenbrink
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Same characters, set during World War II. This one focusing on Dan's daughter, Barbara, who has become somewhat of an activist. She spent years in Paris writing for an American magazine, then had a harrowing experience in Germany, and settled back in San Francisco. This is her story.
Cris
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questo secondo volume della saga dei Lavette è davvero molto più incalzante rispetto al primo. La storia moderna è protagonista della saga insieme ai personaggi principali. Spero che l'editore completi la pubblicazione di tutti i volumi scritti da Fast relativamente a questa famiglia.
Kate
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great series although there are six of them.
BAGNULO MARCELLO
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: howard-fast
Bellissima storia della seconda generazione della famiglia Lavette. La figura di Barbara, splendida eroina, generosa e altruista e' davvero fantastica.
Marilyn
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lavette Family book 2. This was so much better written. I have enjoyed these last 40 years, anxious to continue this saga. Onto Book 3. I love Barbara, a strong woman.
Lorane
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On to the next book

This is a really good series. It is written well. I like how it switches between the characters. Two more words required.
Carole Morgenthal
This is the 3rd book of a saga, the immigrants. Start from book 1 and keep going to book2 and book 3. Very enjoyable reading.
Ali
Feb 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
خواندن اثار هوارد فاست کمک می کند تا تاریخ آمریکا را به گونه ای دیگر، از درون آینه ی ادبیات بشناسیم. اگرچه نه به آن دقت و جزئیات که تاریخ یک قرن فرانسه را می شود از طریق خواندن آثار بالزاک شناخت، با این همه هوارد فاست یک آمریکایی ست که با همه ی دید انتقادی نسبت به فرهنگ و تاریخ ملتش، هم چنان دلسوز مردم و میهن خود باقی مانده است. مهاجران را باجلان فرخی ترجمه کرده و انتشارات اساطیر در 1371 منتشر کرده است. نسل دوم را به فارسی ندیده ام. با وجودی که در برابر دیگر آثار هوارد فاست آنچنان درخشش ندارد، ا ...more
Mari
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...Dio governa questo mondo stoltamente, ma oggi mi rifiuto di pensarci.

Secondo capitolo della saga dei Lavette. La storia riprende esattamente da dove l'avevo lasciata anche se questa volta le vicende raccontate riguardano più i figli di Daniel Lavette, Barbara, Tom e Joe. Sono ragazzi alla ricerca del proprio posto nel mondo, per motivi diversi non hanno avuto un'infanzia facile e i loro caratteri ne hanno risentito. A differenza del primo romanzo, qui le storie non sono ambientate solo negli
Joan
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love the saga of the Lavette family, This one covers the years from 1934 to 1946. It focuses on Barbara, Daughter of Dan and Jean and takes us from the depression to World War II and beyond.

For a good bit of her life, barbara tries to run away from her family's wealth and power. Her life goes through many changes along the way from Jean marries John Whittier and Dan Marries May Ling. Barbara becomes a writer Meets Marcel and falls in love, Travels widely and has experiences that most of us ca
Beth Bedee
I'm addicted to this series. I love Howard Fast's writing style. I have become so invested in these characters.

Like "The Immigrants," this one sweeps fairly quickly through time. The story starts in 1934 and ends in 1946. I thought if offered an interesting point of view of the WWII era. You only get one bit of battlefield footage. Instead, we view the war from a boat off the coast of Oahu. Or from a female journalist in Nazi Germany, and the Burma/Indian theatre. We also get a lot of informati
Peter T. Tomaras
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am always suspicious that the second book in a series will fall short of the first. Not so, here. Fast is an amazing writer, this second generation of his Lavette Family saga is the same page-turner as the Immigrants. These are books I do not want to put down, and guess what: just ordered the third in the series, The Establishment. So glad someone recommended these books to me, a son of an immigrant. The relationships are thoroughly believable, if a tad predictable. And each character is uniqu ...more
Gail Mchugh
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book.The characters were so real. I was also grateful it continued where the first left off and we did not lose any of the characters. I was disappointed with the end though. I wanted Barbara to care more for Bernie. I suppose I wanted her to be happy after all she had been through. I also would have liked to know Joe more but I guess you cannot have everything. I was sad it ended. That's what I call a good book.
Amy
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-books
This is the second book in the Lavette family series. Dan Lavette and Jean Seldon have a daughter, Barbara. This is her story- she's a caring, brave and feisty girl that travels the world working as a journalist. Her journeys take her to Paris, Nazi Germany, Israel, and throughout other historical events of the time. Loved this book as much as the first and I am excited to start the third book in this series!
Daniela
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just like the first book "the immigrants" I'm liking this book a lot. He has this very easy to read and easy to relate to style of writing. It's very interesting to see the struggles and successes of first generation immigrants. Being one myself, it puts my own life and struggles large and small in perspective. Very interesting to observe immigrants lives through the centuries. Interesting perspective of their accounts of the war in Europe.
Leniw
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is better than the first one.
Usually I don't like books that follow the lives of the characters for that long but I have to say that I actually developed I kind of bond with them.
It is both a happy and a sad book at the same time. It's like real life I guess.

I can't wait to read the next!
Terri Hardy
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Immigrants took me from the turn of the century through the great San Francisco Earthquake. In Second Generation, I followed the Lavette family through the Depression and World War II. It seems that a sequel never can match the original, but still I found this book quite satisfying and anxious to read more.
Mary Frances
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This continues to be a surprisingly good series. While on one level it's your basic family saga, the author enriches what would otherwise be a soap opera with politic commentary and consideration of social issues. Glad I found the series.
Bonita Harris
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Powerful shipyard making driven, Daniel and Barbara, his daughter led very different lives. The writer made another fascinating and absorbing. Thumbs up! Looking forward for third book, The Establishment.
Wesley
Liked it well enough. It's good family/generation saga. I like the time period and the location as well. California just prior to and just after WWII. It just took me forever to finish it. Might read the next one later but not next.

• American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • Crestmont
  • Write Right!: A Desktop Digest of Punctuation, Grammar, and Style, 4th Edition
  • Afterlife
  • Girls' Night In
  • Highways to a War
  • The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)
  • The Soldier's Return
  • Babyface
  • The Third World War: The Untold Story
  • The Dreaming Suburb (The Avenue, #1)
  • Willow Grove Abbey (The Somerville Trilogy #1)
  • In the Shape of a Boar
  • Annapolis
  • The Avengers: A Jewish War Story
  • Scottsboro
  • All Good Women
Howard Fast (1914–2003) was one of the most prolific American writers of the twentieth century. He was a bestselling author of more than eighty works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. The son of immigrants, Fast grew up in New York City and published his first novel upon finishing high school in 1933. In 1950, his refusal to provide the United States Congress with a list of possible ...more

Lavette Family (6 books)
  • The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1)
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • The Legacy (Lavette Family, #4)
  • The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5)
  • An Independent Woman (Lavette Family, #6)
“Perhaps nature rations tears. That would be very sensible. You are born with three million one hundred and seventy-two potential tears, and you can use them up by the time you are eighteen or you can conserve them.” 0 likes
“would have died there. Right there. And she didn’t say anything. She didn’t even cry at first. She just handed the letter to Pop, and he read it, and then he put his head down on the table and began to cry.” 0 likes