Start by marking “Spring in Action” as Want to Read:
Spring in Action

Spring in Action

Written for enterprise Java developers who have become disillusioned with the complexity and bulk involved with EJB development, this programming tool demonstrates how the Spring framework can make coupled code easy to manage, understand, reuse, and unit-test. Spring's employment of inversion control and aspect-oriented programming techniques to encourage loosely coupled c ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about Spring in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring in Action

Donald Lika
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides great introduction to Spring 4 framework,It is also good for whom has started learning about the framework,
It starts with explaining spring core concepts then it details all spring modules in a progressive way
Overall, I give 5 stars to this book because it explains all important concepts so every reader can understand.
Filus1025
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for newbies(me) but author focues to much on showing configuration examples(always in 3 different ways).
Prashant Sunkari
Learned that it is best book for Java Springs along with documentation online
Aleksander Meterko
Good overview of technology and it is very easy to read, but a number of mistakes present.
Akash Goel
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good reference/guide to Spring if you already have some (very) basic experience with frameworks with DI. I liked the humor that was kept up in the writing, and that all concepts had accompanying examples with very good explanations. Several chapters try to implement the new concepts they introduce into an app, but I found the execution here to be a bit less focused. If the practical implementation was a bit more focused and easier to follow, I would unequivocally rate this as 5 st ...more
فاروق الفرشيشي
I know Spring.
Although it didn't take me 10 seconds like Neo with Kung Fu, but I kinda feel the same confidence he had with what he just learned. Spring in Action was helpful by explaining the logic behind Spring, and teaching the how-to by example like short tutorials.
For the cons of the book, I think a 600 pages book, should go further in depth of Spring engine, best practices. I also felt the Persistence part didn't bring much, so I'm going to look for some dedicated resource about that.
Jason Copenhaver
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just what I was looking for. A nice introduction to the wide array of things you can do with the Spring framework.
Victoria
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
boring, a bit outdated now, but essentially good. It actually took me 1 year to finish it :)
Sergey Yeranosyan
Must read for spring developers!
Raydhitya Yoseph
Clear and conscise explanation of Spring Framework.
Ivaylo
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Всеки ползва Spring, но истината е, че хората се изкушават да го ползват с копи-пейст абзаци от stackoverflow. Тази книга е чудесен начален hands-on експеримент за млади програмисти. Препоръчвам.
Tauras
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
An insightful book for a beginner such as myself.
Now when I am working with Spring, the logic behind it starts to make sense.
accfcx
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book about Spirng 4 and it's really approciate for beginners to learn Spring. It covers every aspects of Spring technology. Unfortunely, Sping 5 is comming.
Justin Smith
Wait for the newer version of this book to be released, it's easier to follow and very concise.
Nikola Yurukov
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Very very good hands-on book! :) Recommended to everyone who needs to cover Spring.
Marius A
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction into Spring framework. It could have been better if the examples were somewhere available.
Phúc Võ
A good book for whom has just started learning about the Spring framework and also for ones that basically know and use Spring's dependency injection (via tutorial, guide on the Internet) and want to understand the underlying concepts. The first four chapters are for you. They tell you about the big picture of what Spring is, how it solves the problems of the big old JavaEE and its famous functionality (dependency injection and aspect oriented programming). The later chapters are about the advan ...more
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the 2004 edition, a no brainer read for every Java developers using Spring Framework. I have read every edition and will pre-order and read every feature edition without bothering to wait for any reviews!

This edition did not match the bar set by the 3rd Editions so it lost a star from me, however I will still strongly recommend.
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one in Craig Walls' series not to be missed, a truly expert author on the Spring framework!

Simply, this is the best in the series so far. Detailed and practical with real world use cases.

Strongly recommend.
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A no brainer read for every Java developers using Spring Framework. I have read every edition and will pre-order and read every feature edition without bothering to wait for any reviews!

Will recommend.
Nazar Lelyak
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some chapters were very cool.
Some a little bit bored
Michael Koltsov
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an easy and pleasant job to write a review for this «Spring in Action» book. Though it’s almost three years old it’s still considered to be one best book about the Spring framework. My opinion might be not too poetic, albeit I’ve enjoyed reading the book.

Every Jvm-concerned programmer knows that Spring is huge and it’s constantly evolving throughout all these years. There are some books that are much thicker and they cover more Spring components. Some of them are really gigantic manuscrip
loïc
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
Well, the book has some good parts: pleasant to read, good introduction to Spring(yes, requires some programming knowledge , but that's kinda a given seeing you want to learn a framework...), some nice insights,...

Sadly it has a lot of bad parts: it's not really up-to-date anymore (nothing to do about that), but what striked me more was that there were a lot of mistakes in the book... From errors to bad configuration options and even just 'wrong' code (like overriding default behaviour to euhm w
Sebastian Gebski
Honest 5 stars as this book has clearly played is role. And it wasn't easy, keeping in mind how vast & spacious is the topic. It's easy to follow, reasonably structure & it's very sensible with clear indicating of "child sub-topics" (to be investigated separately, out of the book scope) without unnecessary exploring them. Regardless of breadth of material, it didn't really feel overwhelming.

Chapters I liked most? Web Flow & AOP - as I these topics (in context of Spring) were pretty m
Mike
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Software developers and Spring developers
First off, well written book! The third addition is about 1/2 of the size of the second edition (also owned and read) and I think it's a testimonial to the advancements in Spring itself. Spring 3 allows and encourages alternatives to XML configuration which can be quite verbose making the book about 1/4th smaller than the previous edition. The second reason the book is smaller is because Craig took out several sections that were very lightly covered and should have been in a second or third book ...more
Vít Kotačka
Pretty good book about modern development with Spring Framework. It covers basics as dependency injection and standard web development and then iterates through more advanced topics as integration via REST, messaging, or WebSockets. Of course, Spring Security isn't omitted either. The final chapter scratches basics of Spring Boot.

As the (sub)title suggests, it targets the Spring version 4. Therefore, if you think about reading it, you should consider upcoming 5th edition which should come out in
Zbyszek Sokolowski
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: java, technical
This book is just an overview of giant framework. Up to 30 pages for every topic which alone is described in other separate book. So this is short, concise introduction. All in all I consider it to be worth reading but I think that especially later parts were written in hurry and little chaotic. Despite reading it from cover to cover, I think that reading Spring manual is a must because book lacks of some basic stuff so to fill the gaps. It would be essential. After all I recommend this book bec ...more
Christian Tjhai
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for someone who was just started developing in Java. Basic Servlet, JSP, and Java Beans knowledge are necessary in order to find out how Spring could leverage those.

I heard some of my team said that this book was not for them. I finally discover them reading this book without actually trying them on their workstation, instead they read it like a novel book.

This book is just not like that, read through chapter to chapter while trying them in your workstation. Also you would stil
Väinö Leppänen
Basic. Takes a list of selected topics and gives a basic introduction to each. To my mind, the topics were selected well, they were well presented and the transitions were logical. There were a couple of possible pitfalls thou. At times, it appeared that in order to practice the lessons of one chapter, you needed the lessons learned in the chapters to come. This however isn't definitive as I could have easily made a mistake.
Julia Teterleva
Good books for newbies, good coverage of all Spring framework parts, after reading i think you could work with Spring, but one bad thing - examples of code. So when I reading a book about enterprise tools I expect to see use cases with accounts, payment, etc, but there are main heroes: ministrel ( old european bards) who plays on music instruments and sings.
  • Java Persistence with Hibernate: Revised Edition of Hibernate in Action
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Groovy in Action
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Thinking in Java
  • Java Performance
  • Core Java, Volume 1: Fundamentals
  • Programming Scala: Scalability = Functional Programming + Objects

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“There’s an old joke about a skydiver who’s blown off course and ends up landing in a
tree, dangling above the ground. After awhile someone walks by and the skydiver asks
where he is.
The passerby answers, “You’re about 20 feet off the ground.”
The skydiver replies “You must be a software analyst.”
“You’re right. How did you know?” asks the passerby.
“Because what you told me was 100 percent accurate, but completely worthless.”
2 likes