Start by marking “Drawing Dynamic Hands” as Want to Read:
Drawing Dynamic Hands

Drawing Dynamic Hands

The most comprehensive book ever published on drawing hands, it uses a revolutionary system for visualizing the hand in an almost infinite number of positions.
Published April 1st 1988 by Watson-Guptill (first published 1977)

Start your review of Drawing Dynamic Hands
Serge Pierro
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
An amazing book on drawing hands. The drawing of hands is one of the most complex things for an artist to do (for figure drawing). Hogarth spells out the formulas and techniques to make it viable.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Perfect for drawing hands. One of my favorites and most-used books.
Tim
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Hogarth offers some helpful approaches for the initiate artist, but his style and the depiction is highly exaggerated. The bones are cartoonishly portrayed. However, by exaggeration he shows the structure. Worth utilizing but your study of the hands should not stop with this.
Sam
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
tl;dr Not the best artwork as examples, with little variety. But nice explanations and information, for the most part. Borrow if it's an option, otherwise the internet has better (free) tutorials.

Not tl;dr:

Hands are notorious for being difficult to draw. So of course, wanting to master them is something many artists want to achieve. (That, or avoid them. But you know, I wouldn't be checking out this book if that was the case for me, haha.)

I don't recall exactly what pointed me in the direction o
Helsean K.
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
By far, the most accurate drawing book about hands and very detailed. I finally learned properly drawing hands with this book.
Ross Cline
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
technical bu tinformative
JunIL OkaZamI
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Francisco Hidalgo
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: figura-humana
Un excelente libro para todo aquel que desea aprender a profundidad todas las posibilidades que la mano ofrece en cuanto al dibujo artístico. No solamente es un libro que ofrece un valor técnico sumamente detallado, ofreciendo conocimientos en cuanto anatomía, estructura (huesos, músculos, venas, piel) si no que además, una amplia variedad de posiciones, usos y simbolismo a que esta herramienta puede ofrecer.
Sin lugar a dudas vale la pena estudiarlo y practicarlo a detalles.
Matthew Kapfhammer
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember starting out and going through this book to copy the illustrations. At some point, I realized that's not at all how to best utilize this volume. You have to READ it - the images are done with heaps of exaggeration to stress a particular point. Once I re-read it with that understanding, I was able to begin to build structurally sound hands pretty quickly and regularly.
Ricky Walten
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I find that hands can really make or break a good illustration. I have used this book for years and it has helped me immensely. It breaks down the hand with simple forms showing how to bring life to your drawing.
Cecilia
Nov 11, 2014 marked it as to-read
I loved it I'm a master now
M0rningstar
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Hogarth's style is a bit too gnarly for my liking.
Hadji VanderVeer
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
really helped me understand how the hands relate to the human body, along with developing my renderings of them.
Jasdeep Singh
Sam Pitrowski
Jul 02, 2013
Raihan Nahid
Aug 17, 2013

• The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • Anatomy for the Artist
  • Keys to Drawing
  • Anatomy for the Artist
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • FRUiTS
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Burne Hogarth started young. Born in 1911, he was enrolled in the Chicago Art Institute at the age of 12 and an assistant cartoonist at Associated Editors' Syndicate at 15. At the age of 26, he was chosen from a pool of a dozen applicants as Hal Foster's successor on the United Features Syndicate strip, "Tarzan". His first strip, very much in Foster's style, appeared May 9, 1937. It wasn't long be ...more