Start by marking “The Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas

(FBI Agents)

'Tis the night before Christmas and all through the house, things are definitely stirring...because if you're going to wait up for Santa, you might as well have some very sexy company...

"White Night Christmas" by Lori Foster
"Snowed Under" by Erin McCarthy
"Ms. Humbug" by Jill Shalvis
"I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Kathy Love
"Seducing Scrooge" by Katherine Garbera
"The Good G
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published 2005 by Kensington Publishing Corp.

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Christmas

Start your review of The Night Before Christmas
Gemma
Oct 14, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: bookcrossing
Too lusty for my taste. And the stories were so short, even for novellas (about 60 pages each) that the authors didn't have time for much character development. ...more
Carmen
2018 Monthly Challenge: December "Advent Calendar"

6 short stories written by 6 different authors. Some I liked a lot, others not so much.
My favorite has been "Ms. Humbug" by Jill Shalvis (****), I liked the plot with the mystery.
The one I liked the least was "I'll be home for Christmas" by Kathy Love (*) (view spoiler)
Kristen Lewendon
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a pretty mixed bag for me. There were some stories that I definitely enjoyed more than others. The Lori Foster story particularly concerns me, because if a male character were to behave in the same manner as her leading lady does, there would be howls of outrage and charges of harassment. I think my favorite was "Ms. Humbug", but it only edges out "Seducing Scrooge" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" by the narrowest of margins. Other than the one slightly problematic plot point, thi ...more
Janet Robel
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for some cute holiday novellas but I thought they were just ok.
Kathy Davie
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Six short stories in this anthology about Christmas Eve romances.

The Stories
Lori Foster's "White Knight Christmas" is a tale of Detective Parker Ross, a reluctant hero with a Scrooge mentality, who comes up against his very own Christmas wish when Lily forces herself on him.

I suspect Foster needed a few more pages to end this story. It was too abrupt and jerked the story to an end. Still, it was sweet.

Erin McCarthy's "Snowed Under" finds Claire Robbins the victim of a snowplow splash and run. Wh
Anna Marie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I got what I thought was a four-popper, because I wanted some quick, hopefully cute, mindless romances. What I got was a six-popper... all of the short stories taking place on the night before Christmas. Oookaybie, then!

Story #1 (by Lori Foster)
After reading three pages, I found it to be a story about a bimbo in cop's apartment building who convinces him to do a little holiday unwinding. I didn't read further than those three pages, because both of them were annoying, and the writing was pitiful
Cindy
Somehow they stuffed 6 contemporary Christmas stories in this book. Thus, only 3 stars!

Lori Foster 4 stars - I really liked this one. The hero is 14 years older then the heroine (she's 22). This was not really a turn off. Good story considering how short it had to be.

Erin McCarthy - 2 stars. Possibly the worst EM I've ever read. Claire was annoying & Justin clueless (NOT endearingly so). They jump into sex & are proclaiming love & marriage within 8 hours. Not into it :(

Jill Shalvis a good 3 s
Maura
Lyndi W.
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
"White Night Christmas" by Lori Foster - DNF
Damn girl, take a fucking hint. I've never seen a woman chase a man so passive-aggressively. She's annoying as hell. How many times does somebody need to say no before she realizes they actually mean it?

"Snowed Under" by Erin McCarthy - 1 star
Lily's magical vagina makes a man believe in the spirit of Christmas. Ridiculous.

"Ms. Humbug" by Jill Shalvis - 3 stars
Cute little whodunit with a prudish workaholic and a fun-loving, but responsible coworker. I l
Kevin Connery
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Mixed bag. None really outstanding, and a couple of weak ones, but nothing really sucked.
Crystal Cowles
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
all good except the last story sucked.
Skye
I read a few Christmas anthologies at the same point at the end of 2020, and this was most definitely the sweetest of them. It was very cutesy. And kind of completely adorable. There is something hopeful about Christmas Eve, or the night before Christmas. Something that always feels filled with potential. I feel like it never truly is… but it always feels like it could be.

I only knew two of the authors when I started this collection. It was a lovely, pleasant surprise when I discovered the other
Cassie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
White Night Christmas by Lori Foster was pretty good I really enjoyed the ending.

Snowed Under by Erin McCarthy was really good I didn't want that story to end.

Ms. Humbug by Jill Shalvis was okay as well but some parts I felt were rushed and just really didn't fit.

I'll Be Home for Christmas by Kathy Love was another good story that I really enjoyed.

Seducing Scrooge by Katherine Garbera was the one that had me shedding a few tears. I've always loved a good story with some sass and a beautiful endi
Stefani
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
haaaaa TOTAL fun smut - short stories with a Christmas theme, perfect mindless read during the chaos of the holidays!
TinaMarie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jami Dutcher
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
First Lori Foster book ever that moved a little slow for me.
ReadWithE
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5. Very obviously from 2005. Most of the stories were too short to have any depth.
Nancy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The Night Before Christmas" contributed to a very satisfying Christmas, if you know what I mean! Wink, Wink! ...more
Kate
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ann aka Iftcan
Sep 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories, all dealing with Christmas Eve. Now, before I go any further, I should warn any readers--I am a total FANATIC about holiday stories. Doesn't matter the holiday or even the genre, I'll read it. This is especially true of Christmas themed books.

Having said that--as with any anthology, some stories are good, some ok, and a few were kind of "eh". I have read a few of the authors in this anthology before--but not in their plain romance stories. Mostly their PNR and/or U
Devon
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
'THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS' is a holiday themed short story collection featuring some of today's hottest chick-lit authors such as Lori Foster and Erin McCarthy. Despite the promising theme and the highly praised contributing authors I found many of the stories in 'THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS' to be predictable at best. Not only did almost every story follow the same formula but there was little to no relation to the Christmas holiday in any of them. To my surprise, however, the two stand out st ...more
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-reading
In the spirit of kicking off the holiday season, I decided to start my December reading with some festive books, the first one being THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS a combination of six short stories by well known authors.

I was very excited to pick this one up particularly because I've never read a novel by best-selling author, Lori Foster and especially because Erin McCarthy is one of my favorite story-tellers. But, I must say the book wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I was surprised to fin
Patti K
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I got this specifically for the Jill Shalvis story, and that one didn't disappoint and brought up the overall score. However, some of the other stories weren't that great or were just ok. I will probably check out Kathy Love because her story was pretty decent and believable. Seducing Scrooge wasn't great but it wasn't terrible and was marginally believable. White Night Christmas was a non-starter for me. Snowed Under was barely believable and thus, less enjoyable. And the Kylie Adams ...more
Debbie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
- White Knight Christmas by Lori Foster (read 8/15/11) ****
Overworked Detective Parker Ross just wanted some down time and to forget about the Christmas season (bah hum bug). Neighbor, sweet little Lily Donaldson was just the cheerful, spirited sort of person he wanted most to avoid. But Lily was the type that is too difficult to ignore, especially since he had been admiring her for several months now.
**** Short, sweet, hot, cute ~ what a combination. It’s only 61 pages long so, as with most a
LorettaLynn
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Wow, I loved reading this book! It has 6 short Christmas stories in it, all waiting to be read.
**White Knight Christmas
** Seducing Scrooge
By, Katherine Garbera
** The Good Girl’s Guide To a Very Bad Christmas
By, Kylie Adams

All of these stories I thought where, are you ready?
Very hot and Steamy and oh so Sexy!!
I am very glad I have read this book.
I recommend this one to the roman
Jilly
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
I love Christmas stories so I really hoped this would be a good book and it was a decent one. I can't say I loved all the stories but some of them were better than others.

Loved Snowed Under by Erin McCarthy. Great story about a little sister who gets the opportunity to seduce her brother's best friend who she's crushed on for years.

The Good Girl's Guide to a Very Bad Christmas was also pretty cute. Aspiring actress and coffee shop barista gets the guy of her dreams after making out a naughty Chr
Amy
Nov 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
White Knight Christmas by Lori Foster
A young 24 year old woman, Lily, is in love with her neighbor, a 38 year-old police man, a hero in her eyes. He is a bit of a Grinch. She is too young and cheery for him, but he is very attracted to her. After they spend the night together on her birthday, his heart grows 10 times its size, just like the Grinch, and he realizes he is in love with her too... a very sweet story, brought tears to my eyes.
Elle
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I've read a better collection of stories. This was definately not my favourite and I found myself putting it down and getting back to work!! Can you believe that? Rather than eating up the distraction it was actually forcing me to focus.

So I'm not sure what type of score to give this book. I did finish it and mildly enjoyed most of the stories, but at the same time I wasn't dying to turn the page ... a 3 seems to by my safe rating for books that are neither 'that good' or 'that bad'
Jan
Nov 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary romance readers

I'll be home for Christmas by Kathy Love 3/5 Stars
As a non-paranormal romance it was pretty good but it seems I much prefer her vampire/werewolf series.

White knight christmas by Lori Foster (TBR)
Snowed under by Erin McCarthy (TBR)
Ms. Humbug by Jill Shalvis (TBR)
Seducing scrooge by Katherine Garbera (TBR)
The good girl's guide to a very bad christmas by Kylie Adams (TBR)
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A nice grouping of Christmas stories. A detective who thinks he's too old for his attractive young neighbor, a guy who's always wanted his best friends little sister but stayed away because he thought she was off limits, among other good works fill this book. All with twists, love, and passion between people who's love sprouted in a lot of diferent ways. Great read! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Christmas Pact
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside (Men of Rogue's Hollow #1)
  • Making Waves (Men of Rogue's Hollow #4)
  • Exposed (Men of Rogues Hollow #2)
  • Christmas Pegasus (A Mate for Christmas, #3)
  • Christmas Hellhound (A Mate for Christmas, #2)
  • A Mate for the Christmas Dragon (A Mate for Christmas, #1)
  • The Slow Burn (Masterson, Texas #2)
  • Too Scot to Handle (Windham Brides, #2)
  • Southern Exposure (Southern, #2)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (includes: The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • The Naughty List
  • Quickest Risk (Pelican Bay Security Book 5)
  • Beast of the Mountain (Deep Woods Alpha's #5)
  • Biggest Risk (Pelican Bay Security, #6)
  • Security Risk (Pelican Bay Security, #1)
  • Holiday Risk (Pelican Bay Security Book 3)

Lori hosts a very special annual “Reader & Author” event in West Chester, Ohio. Proceeds from t

FBI Agents (3 books)
  • Smart Mouth
  • Bad Boys In Black Tie (Watson Brothers, #3)