Start by marking “Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle-Witch Mark” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle-Witch Mark

Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle-Witch Mark

(Virgin New Adventures #7)

'Spare no sympathy for those creatures. They were witches, they deserved to die.'
          A coach crashes on the M40. All the passengers are killed. The bodies carry no identification; they are wearing similar new clothes. And each has a suitcase full of banknotes.
          A country vet delivers a foal. The mare has a deep wound in her forehead. In the straw, the vet fi
Mass Market Paperback, 1st edition, 256 pages
Published June 18th 1992 by Virgin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Palindrome Mordnilap
This has to rank as one of the worst books I have ever read. What makes me despise it more than other works of banality I have had the misfortune to read is that it bears the Doctor Who name and thus by association feeds into a greater narrative that Doctor Who novels are bad - which is simply not the case. There have been some truly excellent Doctor Who novels in the New Adventures series thus far, particularly Paul Cornell's "Timewyrm: Revelation" and Marc Platt's "Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucibl ...more
James Lark
Aug 18, 2014 added it
Shelves: doctor-who
This story is a ripping yarn and as an attempt to do fantasy within the Doctor Who framework it at least has atmosphere, even if it doesn't entirely make sense. I certainly don't have a problem with the writing, which is more than competent, especially next to some of the dire efforts in the Timewyrm series, and Hunt characterises both the Doctor and Ace quite skilfully. They certainly feel like their television counterparts, though unfortunately this sets Ace back a bit after the maturity she s ...more
Leo H
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Started off really liking this one, the mystery was set up well and it was very easy to read, but the ending was quite rushed and didn't really tie up all the loose ends. Plus Ace becoming telepathically linked with a Unicorn and becoming it's best mate was a bit daft.
David Sarkies
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
Recommended to David by: My sister
Doctor Who goes all fantasy
27 February 2012

Once again I can't remember much about this book, but since I believe I got my hands on all of the Cat's Cradle series then I suspect that I must have read it. From a quick glance over some of the other reviews it seems that this was not a particularly popular Doctor Who novel. In fact one person describes is as 'the most blandest book ever to bear the name of Doctor Who' while another says 'this seems to be a book that the author took out of his draw
Scurra
Sep 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
It feels slightly mean to only give this three stars, but fundamentally the problem is that it simply doesn't feel like a Doctor Who story - it's more like the author took a story out of his drawer and stuck the Doctor and Ace into it.

But much of the actual story - the alternate world of Tir Na Nog, the interface between there and our own world, the vivid characters and the descriptive work - is excellent.

The major plot twist towards the end is rather clichéd, but to be fair it isn't massively
Andy
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
On paper, this is a good concept: the Doctor visits the land of Celtic mythology. However, in realization Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark isn't all that memorable. Even though this is one of the shorter NA's, I felt the plot was stretched and there's a long chunck in the middle where very little happens. Many of the characters and creatures of Celtic mythology show up, but the authors don't really do anything with them and characterization is generally very weak. There's also a pair of American teenage ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it did not like it

The Seventh Doctor and Ace find themselves in Wales dealing with peculiar mythological creatures leaking through from a parallel world, an adventure that self-consciously references both Delta and the Bannermen and Survival. This is one of the least impressive Doctor Who books I have ever read, and certainly the worst New Adventure that I have got to so far. No matter what you may think of Torchwood, it did this plot and setting rather better, several ti
Adam Highway
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
It's a shame, as this isn't a bad book per se, especially for so early in the range, but it just can't hold a candle to its immediate predecessor, most importantly of all when it comes to Ace. We just left an Ace who was worldly, mature, experienced, adept and had a more than passing familiarity with weaponry incidentally. This novel has her more on the way to that, a definite step back. If not for the story arc, I'd imagine they'd been published out of order! The Doctor is also rather hit and m ...more
Sammy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
A waste. Dull. A silly plot. I mean, I wouldn't give it "no stars" (if that were an option) because there's a fun idea buried here, but to be honest the characters are all over the place, the resolution is half-arsed (the timey-wimey character inserted just to find a resolution to one of the issues of the "Cat's Cradle" trilogy stands out particularly), and the Doctor and Ace do very little that defines them as the characters they are. I understand the idea Hunt was working from, and this might ...more
Peer Lenné
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Ein relativ gefälliges und unaufgeregtes Buch, das man gut mal zwischendurch lesen kann. Der komplette Cat's Cradle Strang war zwar absolut überflüssig, fast so überflüssig wie die künstlich aufgeregt wirkende Auflösung in diesem Buch, war aber trotzdem insgesamt ganz nette Unterhaltung. Besonders gut gefallen haben mir bei Witch Mark die Nebenfiguren, welche in den bisherigen NAs meiner Meinung nach viel zu vernachlässigt wurden.
Die NAs nehmen wirklich keine Gefangenen. Es ist deutlich zu spüre
Chris
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
This was one of the Doctor Who novels I had never read before. Neither having a strong reputation nor being valuable to the overall storyline I hadn't worried.
Now I have read it honestly I wasn't missing much. Whilst not aggressively bad or offensive I honestly found my concentration wavering and boredom ensuing as I went through it.
C S
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
The distinct whiff of low effort taints this novel all throughout its thankfully short length - at least somebody’s fevered dream of unicorns and goblins and what-have-you popping up in the middle of a Doctor Who has come true.
Anton
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
There are New Adventures books that push the boundaries of what Doctor Who can be, expanding the scope and delving deeper into the Doctor's history, origins, and purpose in the universe. This is not one of those books. It's a decent Seventh Doctor and Ace story set in a world with unicorns and centaurs, but it feels much more like a season 27 episode than NA books like Love and War, Original Sin, or Lungbarrow.
Em
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who
The one with the unicorns. Please for the love of sanity--skip this one. If you do decide to trudge through the idiocy that makes up the first half of the book, there is a moderately interesting alien villain guy. I just don't think he was worth the pain.

The best thing about this book was reading bits of it out loud and laughing at how horrible it was with my friends.
PastorAaron
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die-hard serious Doctor Who fans only.
Meh. Reading through the Seventh Doctor Range. As has been said these are hit and miss as far as quality. This was a miss. However, I am not expecting these to be works of masterpieces, but just enjoyable entertainment. It allowed me to spend some time back in the who universe, and so I enjoyed that aspect of it.
Reuben Herfindahl
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd put off reading this for a long time. Unicorns and rural Welch villages is not usually my cup of tea. But it's quite good, and quite different from the NA's up to this point. It's a good solid 7th Doctor and Ace story which you could easily imagine filling out the first part of Season 26. Apart from one out of place scene about a massacre, it's also safely PG.
Alexandra
Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
How can a book be so bad? By starting many story threads, failing to conclude some altogether, and wrapping up others in sudden and clumsy fashion. And creating cardboard cutout characters and a setting dripping with unrealized potential. That's how.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who
This is as bland as something VERY bland with bland knobs attached. Perhaps the most "nothing" book ever to bear the Doctor Who logo.
Simon Curtis
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
I like this one. Set in Wales.
Shannon Appelcline
An entirely OK book that could have been an episode of the TV show. A bit of a let-down from the previous books, and I find the affect of the book generally flat, but not bad either.
Matt Beale
Jul 11, 2017
Brittany
rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2018
Jonathan Williams
Jan 06, 2016
David Given
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2012
  • Doctor Who: Iceberg
  • Doctor Who: White Darkness
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm-Exodus
Librarian's note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Virgin New Adventures (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm-Genesys