Start by marking “Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #2)

Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2 (Hellboy: Weird Tales #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  5,424 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Mike Mignola’s character has never been more popular, especially in the wake of the long-awaited feature film, and unprecedented success in bookstores. His award-winning series Hellboy has been lauded as much by other artists as it has by award ceremonies and fans. Over the years, many of the best artists in the industry have asked if they could do a backup story just to g ...more
Published October 27th 2004 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy

Robert
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A collection of shorts in the pulp tradition, uneven art and brevity are trumped by variety and whimsy.
Stephen Theaker
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lots of great little stories about Hellboy and his friends. The artwork is of an excellent standard. I almost said a uniformly excellent standard there, but stopped myself, partly because that's such a cliche, but also because the art is anything but uniform - a dozen completely different styles appear, each of them quite marvellous. This was actually the first Hellboy book I've read. Volume 2 of a collection of stories not written by the character's creator Mike Mignola is a funny place to star ...more
Brooke
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Volume 2 of the Weird Tales compilations was much stronger than Volume 1, both in terms of art and writing. Each individual story seemed like it told a full tale, and there was a lot of variation in the art styles, some which were really beautiful.
Jared Millet
2016 Re-Read:

Pretty much the same as Weird Tales Vol. 1: some really good stories, some forgettable. This one I reread while watching the 2016 Presidential Election returns, to have something light to relieve some of the tension. Didn't work.
Robert Hudder
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seriously fun stories and others take a crack at Hellboy.
Wing Kee
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit better, but not by much.

So this being the second collection of non-canon Mignolaverse stories, and me absolutely disappointed in the last one, I went into this second collection with absolutely no expectations, and it actually surprised me with a couple of funny quirky tales:

World: As I said in the previous review, there is not much world builing here as it is non-canon. The world building that you see here is mainly to serve the story that the writer/artist is trying to tell. With that in
Tyler Hill
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'm a little conflicted about the two volumes of Hellboy's "Weird Tales." On one hand, reading through them, I was left with the feeling that -in many cases- I'd rather see the creators do something wholly original, rather than tell a tale in the Hellboy universe. But, on the other hand, if they had, and if this was just an anthology of random stories, would I have bothered to check it out? So, while Hellboy is the draw here, convincing me to check out these books, he also sort of becomes the an ...more
sixthreezy
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hellboy, swon-2014
The short stories, or "weird tales", contained within this volume are very short and they're not really all that detailed. Most of them were very short and sweet, which doesn't bother me having read all of the other Hellboy volumes. My appreciation for this volume came from seeing Hellboy through the eyes of other artists or writers. The illustrations were drastically different from Mignola's original volumes, and even between each small story contained within this book they were unique. Some of ...more
kaelan
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
My feelings here are pretty much the same as they were for the first volume.

Highlights of this collection include JH Williams III and Haden Blackman's "Love is Scarier than Death"—which deals (in a canonically plausible way) with the mystery of Hellboy's love-life; and Craig Thompson's "My Vacation in Hell"—an incredibly silly little comic, yet one that still feels (for some possibly intangible reason) distinctly Mignola-ish.
Feather Mista
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios
Recommended to Feather by: Mucho
Me gusta Hellboy desde que lo tenía de vista nomás y mientras más leo de él, más me va gustando. Me encantan muchos de los autores involucrados en este tomo y me encantan estas antologías en las que varios talentos exploran un cachito de un universo claramente "de autor", aunque vaya en expansión constante.
Decí que la mayoría de las historias acá reunidas no pasan de la anécdota divertida, y por eso le amarreteo puntaje, porque si no este tomo la rompía.
Angela
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I have some difficulty with the Hellboy novels Mignola hands over to other artists. The stories aren't bad but the art can't compare. I enjoyed "Shattered" and "Command Performance" along with the Final Fantasy feel of "Toy Soldier". The rest were all right. I loved and appreciated the Lobster Johnson comic after the Hellboy stories.
Marsten
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, comic
Una variada y divertida antologia de Historias Extrañas alrededor del personaje de Hellboy.
Siempre es interesante ver diferentes estilos de dibujo más allà del de Mike Mignola.
La historia final en plan retro de Bogavante Johnson ha sido curiosa.
Con todo, siempre me gustarán más la historias largas, a poder ser escritas y dibujadas por el autor original.
Aaron
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
HELLBOY RETROSPECTIVE 2016
Volumes I & II of WEIRD TALES are anthologies containing stories outside creator Mike Mignola's canon, written and drawn by other comics professionals. The individual tales differ wildly in quality, but volume I is a little stronger collectively. By no means essential, mostly for the Hellboy superfans only.
Jack Babalon
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Though quite the proud comic geek, I haven't read much of Mike Mignola's Hellboy. This anthology was a fun intro to the B.P.R.D. universe. A tight collection of short stand alone stories each offering a solid punch of pulp weirdness. Will have to check out some more Hellboy, time and budget permitting.
La Revistería Comics
La que quizás sea la mejor antología del mejor personaje realizada por más de 20 insuperables autores, en una cuidadísima edición de Scott Allie con toda la muchachada.

Si tenés que leer un solo tomo de Hellboy, que sea este. O el anterior.

O cualquiera de los integrales, bah, que son de lo más rendidores.
Fae
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
A fairly mixed bunch, some of the stories were great, with beautiful artwork, some less so, but even the worst ones were still okay. Definitely a must for any Hellboy fan, if you're starting new, I'd probably leave this one til later.
Spencer
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This is much better than volume 1, the art and writing across most of the stories is superior. Whilst this is quite fun it's still rather non-essential Hellboy reading and I would recommend this to completionists and die-hard fans.
Chris
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
A collection of other artists doing Hellboy stories. Some are excellent and some are just OK, but the real kicker is the burst of Lobster Johnson stories at the very end. Hooray for pulpy adventure!!
Hans
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everyone wants to play with Mike Mignola's toys...for good reason. In this collected series, Mike Mignola let people play with the characters and the world he created (Hellboy), to honor the world that inspired him (tales from the magazine Weird Tales).
Daken Howlett
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-horse
Un buon mix,alcuni racconti sono ottimi,altri..non proprio ben fatti...ma nel complesso la mancanza di Mignola al timone si sente,fin troppo.
Josh
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not bad, I'm sure if I read Hellboy more often I would love it more.
Mike Gallagher
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much better than the first volume. The creators seem to know how to make a Hellboy story. Very entertaining.
Isaac Timm
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2008
see my review for Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction (Paperback)
James
May 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Once again some interesting stories are told with the Hellboy characters with some stories just being less than average.
Babs
Jun 14, 2016 added it
FALSE
Kathleen
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun, fresh perspectives on Hellboy from writers and artists other than his creator. Craig Thompson and Jill Thompson in particular presented wonderful stories.
Andy
Feb 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Same as Volume 1. Garbage.
Variaciones Enrojo
Antología que reúne varios relatos cortos del Universo Hellboy por varios artistas. Segundo tomo.
Jamaal G.
Dec 30, 2012
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • Hellboy: Odder Jobs
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell

Hellboy: Weird Tales (2 books)
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #1)