Start by marking “Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)

Gallows View (Inspector Banks #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  7,969 Ratings  ·  487 Reviews
"A Peeping Tom is frightening the women of Eastvale; two glue-sniffing young thugs are breaking into homes and robbing people; an old woman may or may not have been murdered. Investigating these cases is Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks, a perceptive, curious and compassionate policeman recently moved to the Yorkshire Dales from London to escape the stress of city life ...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Avon (first published August 27th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Gallows View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallows View

Mary Beth
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

Gallows View is the first novel in the popular Inspector Banks series by British author Peter Robinson. Banks, has recently moved from the high-crime city of London to Yorkshire, a sleepy little town, where crime is not particularly common and the residents have until now felt safe. He is happily married to Sandra, has two kids, and is very dedicated to his job and works long hours. Sandra has outside interests, and is presently taking photography classes, so Banks’ long hours don’t seem to pres
James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
First published in 1987, this is the novel that introduced Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks. Banks is a former London policeman who relocated to Yorkshire, assuming that the pace of life and the crime rate would both be slower. That may be the case, but he quickly discovers that there's more than enough crime to keep him busy, even out here in the hinterlands. This is a good thing, of course; otherwise there would be no point in writing or reading about his adventures. The series has now rea ...more
Rosie
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. It reminded me a lot of the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahloo.
The characters are well developed. Banks is a very respectable man with good values and morals and his wife, Sandra, is really easy going. This was an enjoyable read and I found myself always wanting to get back to reading it. It wasn't particularly suspenseful until the end, but the book moved at a good pace. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.
John
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it

This is one of the early novels in Robinson's Alan Banks series of detective novels, and lacks the psychological depth and sense of dark claustrophobia that make the more recent entries worthy of their place on the shelf alongside books by the likes of Ian Rankin and Ruth Rendell. Still and all, it's a rattlingly readable yarn: I gobbled it down in little more than a day.

The Yorkshire town of Eastvale is being plagued by a peeping tom and by a spate of house invasion-style thefts, in which a co
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
A brilliant book, I have watched the DCI Banks TV show which is excellent but was surprised to find the books behind the series better. This book I read in 3 hours, cover to cover - could not put it down. The author has a knack of giving so much detail that the picture is clear in your mind as reading the words, without being over descriptive to the point of tediousness.

It's compelling and very readable, the characters are detailed and the plot keeps you going until the end. It is a very good cr
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Chief Inspector Alan Banks relocated from London to the Yorkshire village of Eastvale, he expected the quiet of the countryside. But, with a string of robberies, a Peeping Tom, a rape, and a murdered doddering 87-year-old woman, Banks has his hands full.

I had heard a lot of good things about Peter Robinson’s Alan Banks series, and the debut, Gallows View, was serviceable, although not awe-inspiring. Originally released in 1987, the novel was less dated than I expected. The honest, if imperf
Jim
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5 listen. The narrator was good & there was more to the story than I expected. No mystery here except how Banks will wrap it all up, but at least the author didn't try for any except in one case & that was well done.

What made this an interesting listen was the setting, a large town in England, & the characters, pure English. It seemed to be a very realistic snapshot of their life & issues.

I have another, but I'm not in a rush to get to it. The writing was very good, b
Gerald Sinstadt
Jan 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
A trusted friend recommended Peter Robinson's books so I started at the beginning, anticipating the pleasure of a long series to follow. The only explanation I can find for my profound disappointment is that this is a first novel. It certainly reads like one - clichéd in characters and language, with dialogue that would sound at home in The Archers.

Too many adjectives thrown in for effect and never mind the contradictions. On one page the Superintendent is "rubbing a hairy hand over his red, po
Bill Lynas
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first DCI Banks novel, published in 1987, is a good police procedural story with plenty of interesting characters. There are no car chases or daring stunts here, but there is a good plot & an easy narrative. One of the storylines involves someone secretly watching women undressing when they go to bed & makes me ask the question "Why don't these people draw their curtains before getting undressed ?" But if they did that, of course, then there would be no story here! Reading this novel ...more
Jonetta
This first book in the series featuring DI Alan Banks does a great job of introducing the main character and the people in his life as he works to resolve three cases that end up intersecting seamlessly. While it seemed to meander initially, it eventually hooked me as I immersed myself in the scenes and settings. Banks moved to Yorkshire from London to have a less stressful work life only to be faced with these complicated crimes. He's very competent but not without his own personal issues.

This
Ms.pegasus
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in British mysteries
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: an interview of author Nick Trout who mentioned the series
Shelves: mystery, fiction, thriller
Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks was hoping to shed his chain smoking and caffeine swilling habits when he left his London posting and moved to the Yorkshire countryside. Instead, a local crime wave confronts him. Vandals have been victimizing elderly women. A peeping tom is at large. Then, an elderly reclusive woman is murdered during an apparent burglary. Are the crimes related? Worse, will any of these escalate into worse criminal acts?

The narrative is in third person and roves among vari
Nancy Oakes
Gallows View is an okay introduction to the British mystery series featuring Inspector Alan Banks, who lives and works in Eastvale, Yorkshire. As the novel begins, the local police are trying to find a peeper who is frightening some of the town's women. As if that's not enough, an elderly woman living alone has been killed, and there are a series of unsolved break-ins. Banks, who has moved to Yorkshire to get away from the high-stress levels of police work and of life in general in London, takes ...more
Ethen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the Chief Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson. It follows a Metropolitan inspector in what at first seems a minor crime but as he and his team delves into it the web gets thicker. This review is for the audiobook version of the story.

I am always on the lookout for a new series that take place in foreign places. I like the Yorkshire backdrop and the interesting cultural differences. The English have a certain mentality that is very different from American POV. Granted t
Thomas Strömquist
The very first Inspector Banks. Newly relocated from London to Eastvale, the detective needs to take on a number of simultaneous challenges; first, a peeper is stalking women of the community and the police fear that he will not be happy just looking at some point in time. At the same time, a chain of burglaries turns violent on more than one apparent occasion. And finally, he has to find a way to work together with a female psychologist that he finds immensely attractive...

Despite a few coinci
Marwan
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like most about Robinson's novels is the narrative style; how the story switches from Inspector Banks to the other characters, which lets you understand them more. Banks is an interesting person, the psychiatrist was fine.
However, Comparing to his later novels, this one is the least likable. I mean the story was fine but not great. So don't judge Robinson from this one, because his later books are much better.
Gary
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
First book of the DCI Alan Banks series. Maybe the crime plots were a little predictable but nevertheless the characters were well developed which bodes well for the rest of the series.
I will certainly be continuing with this series.
Lemunty
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
With insomnia wrecking my nights (again) I've begun to read detective fiction again, these long and endless series of novels that really just form one continuous story. I love those that develop the character as we go, and a perfect example are the Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson, which I just finished yesterday. That's right, the series. Including the one shot ficlets and stories. There is a new one that ought to be out later this year, and I'm looking forward to it (with a title like ...more
Bill
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Chief Inspector Banks mysteries. I liked it from the very opening pages and enjoyed the story thoroughly. Alan Banks is an interesting character, having moved from London to Eastvale in Yorkshire, in the hope of a quieter police life. He quickly is involved in a case of a peeper as well as a number of break-ins and finally a murder of an old woman. I enjoyed getting to know Alan and also his personal life. His wife, Sharon, was well-presented and also some of the ot ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*

Gallows ViewIt is not the first of Peter Robinson's books Ihave read, but it is the first I have listened to, and it was a very enjoyable experience.

The narrator had a pleasant voice and was easy to listen to.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks, a perceptive, curious and compassionate policeman recently moved to the Yorkshire Dales from London to escape the stress of city life.

He is therefore somewhat surprised, having expected a quieter life, to be faced with finding a peeping tom, identifyin
Damaskcat
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Peter Robinson and it won't be the last as I enjoyed. DCI Alan Banks, gradually settling into his new home on Yorkshire and hoping for rather less violence than he was used to in the Met, finds himself in the middle of a complex web of interconnected cases. There is a Peeping Tom who is spying on women undressing; a spate of burglaries and a murder. Are they all connected? Or are there several different criminals at work in this small area?

I liked the Yorkshir
Francis
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Peter Robinson is one of those authors who never seems to disappoint me. Which for me is pretty high praise. If you caught on to Peter Robinson in the past three or four years and your reading is primarily digital, then you probably had a difficult time locating the first three books in this series. Well now they are available and if you subscribe to Oyster you can find most of the series there.

This was the first, certainly good but I wouldn't rank it with his best, but you don't expect that wi
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Inspector Banks has relocated from London to a Village in Yorkshire for a bit of peace. Instead the poor Inspector is involved in a case of a peeping tom that may have escalated to violence. He is also finding himself attracted to his the psychologist he is consulting on the case with. Listening to opera and enjoying the peace is not on the Inspector's agenda.

A great mystery novel with a very likeable Inspector and cast of characters. I will definitely read the next book in this series.
Colleen
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A new (to me!) murder mystery series. A police procedural set in a small town in Yorkshire. Very readable, and lifted by the main character who listens to a wide variety of music - the friend who recommended it to me says that the type of music changes with each book in the series. This is a book to read on a tablet with the music playing in the background. Looking forward to this new series for those days when my mind won't cope with anything deeper.
Judy
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since I joined the Mystery group, I've been introduced to a number of new (to me) authors. This is Peter Robinson's first book, and though several reviewers thought it showed, I enjoyed it. The title is a mystery to me. I get that one of the threads deals with a peeping Tom, but there is more to the book than that. I like Inspector Banks and look forward to reading more of this series.
Tonile {My Cup and Chaucer}
For a book that was written before my birth, I found Gallows View entertaining and enthralling from start to finish. Inspector Banks is an incredibly likeable character, and the traditional focus on police procedure rather than complex forensic practice makes this novel reminiscent of classic British mysteries. Simple, engaging, timeless... a novel for anyone with a longing for crime novels of the past, with a modern concept and a creepy list of crimes.

For all its positive attributes, the novel
Heather Pearson
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, mystery
Last summer, I heard Peter Robinson read from his then new book Bad Boy. After he finished reading I knew that I had to search out his first Inspector Banks book. Luckily I was able to download the audio version from my library.

When Alan moved his family to Eastvale, in Yorkshire, he thought he would find the quiet life as compared to his previous post in London. For a while it did work that way. But as Chief Inspector he became involved in all the illegal going ons in town. At first it was a ca
Taylor
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
2015 Reading Challenge #10, a mystery or thriller

A fairly forgettable mystery story. I say that because I realized that this book was overdue, but didn't take it back to the library because I wanted to finish it. Imagine my chagrin when I pick the book up for a reading session and realize that yes, I did indeed finish the book.

There was a very overt sexist tone to this book that I found confusing. Arguments between Banks and his lady colleague seem to always revert to how Banks doesn't really '
DomoKete
Gallows View is a police procedural set in Yorkshire, England. The story takes places in the quaint fictitious town of Eastvale. This is the first book in the Inspector Banks series who is the central detective in the story. The investigation tackles a peeping tom and youths that have gone off the rails. I read the book as I like the DCI Banks TV series.

The characters and the setting have serviceable descriptions without going into significant detail. The prose itself is simple and clear. I enjo
Jax
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Neither the story nor the lead character hooked me. Slow and dull, lacking the typical urgency of a crime novel. DNF @162 pages.
Connie
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book starring Inspector Alan Banks. I did suspect some people, but wasn't quite sure until all the pieces were put together. It was a book that you wanted to read the next page because there were a lot of different stories and you were not quite sure if it was one villain or several. The description of the characters in this book were really well done. I could see each and every one of them.

I am definitely going to try and read more in this series. I am giving this 5 out of
  • Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • The Pure in Heart (Simon Serrailler, #2)
  • Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)
  • The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)
  • River of Darkness (John Madden, #1)

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in En
More about Peter Robinson...

Inspector Banks (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Dry Bones that Dream (Inspector Banks, #7)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Blood at the Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • In a Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)
  • Cold is the Grave (Inspector Banks, #11)
“The memories were there, but the string of time that linked them like a pearl necklace was broken.” 0 likes
“Something piqued his curiosity and he wanted to know more. There was no order to it, neither in his mind nor in his filing system. He would plunge into a subject with cavalier disregard for its chronological development. And” 0 likes